Failed delivery msgs for unknown addresses

I am now getting failed delivery messages for addresses I have never seen
before.  I have AVG running and it has found nothing....but several times a
day the hard drive indicator lights up and everything slows to a crawl and
email stops.  Nothing shows up in the Windows Task Manager under the
Applications Tab.  What is going on?

Chattagator wrote:

> I am now getting failed delivery messages for addresses I have never seen
> before.  I have AVG running and it has found nothing....but several times a
> day the hard drive indicator lights up and everything slows to a crawl and
> email stops.  Nothing shows up in the Windows Task Manager under the
> Applications Tab.  What is going on?

Someone claiming your e-mail address as their own is spewing out their
crapload of spam to a mailing list of generated or harvested e-mail
addresses.  For those e-mail addresses that don't exist, the receiving mail
server is sending back an NDR (non-delivery report) telling you of the
failure to deliver.  It didn't come from you.  It came from a spammer
pretending to be you.

Anyone can claim any e-mail is their own.  You can do it yourself but
putting any e-mail address you want in the e-mail account you define within
Outlook.  It it rare that an e-mail provider requires their customers
specify the same e-mail address in the From header as for the e-mail address
of the account through which they send their e-mail.

You are getting the NDRs because of misconfigured mail servers.  Rejection
is only valid DURING the mail session between sending and receiving mail
hosts.  That's because, one, the receiving mail host knows the IP address of
whatever sending mail host connects to it and, two, an immediate reject by
the receiving mail host requires the sending mail host to handle that
rejection.  Instead some receiving mail hosts are misconfigured in that they
accept all e-mails without validating if they can actually be delivered.
The mail session ends with the sending mail server and afterward the
receiving mail server attempts to deliver the e-mails.  It finds the
accounts do not exist or some error occurs.  The receiving mail server no
longer knows who is the sending mail host.  The mail session to it is long
gone.  All it can go by is the return-path headers within the e-mails;
however, those headers were added by the sender's e-mail client!  So those
headers can have any values that the spammer wants to define.  Since the
misconfigured receiving mail host only has the return-path headers to direct
the NDR notice, it uses the From header that the spammer specified but that
is *your* e-mail address, not theirs.

It could be a receiving mail host that doesn't check for delivery until
after the mail session is over with the sending mail host.  It could be some
boob running an anti-spam program that bounces suspect (spam) e-mails back
to the sender.  In both cases, neither the receiving mail host or the
bouncing user's client has any information to prove who is the sender.  They
only have the headers on which to rely but the sender gets to define those
values.  SMTP was designed based on a trust model that spammers have
successfully abused for a long time.

You didn't send the spam.  The spammer claimed your e-mail address as their
own.  The spam was accepted and the mail session ended.  Now NOTHING is
available to the receiver (mail host or end-user's client) to prove from
where that spam originated.  Although the spam got accepted during the mail
session, it was found undeliverable afterward or a user is sending a fake
bounce.  These misdirected NDRs are reportable to public blacklists as
"backscatter".  The receiving mail server is misconfigured.  Some bozo user
is issuing fake bounces.  In either case, blacklisting should convince them
to properly configure the mail server to reject DURING a mail session or
convince the fake-bounce user to stop their abuse.

You can report the abuse to the receiving mail server (that is sending back
the NDR e-mail or to report the fake bouncing user).  You can warn them that
you will report their misdirected bounces to blacklists, like SpamCop.  You
can't do anything about anyone claiming your e-mail address as their own.
You'll have to wait out the flood of NDRs (which should subside after
several days since spammers rotate through different fraudulent e-mail
addresses).  You could use a rule to look for and junk any e-mail with
"report-type=delivery-status" in the message headers (sans quotes) but not
all mail servers add that to their NDR e-mails.
0
VanguardLH

FindResourceEx fails.
Hello I cant the the following function to work. FindResourceEx returns NULL. TRACE prints 1814 as error. m_wLanguage is 1053, and I got swedish as a lang in my resourcefile. const char* CResourceLoader::GetString(int nId) { HRSRC hResource = FindResourceEx( NULL, RT_STRING, MAKEINTRESOURCE(nId), m_wLanguage); TRACE("%d\n", GetLastError()); if (!hResource) { char szString[512]; LoadString(NULL, nId, szString, 512); return szString; } else return (const char*)LoadResource(NULL, hResource); } Jonas > I cant the the following function to work. FindResourc...

Quick Campaigns are failing
Quick campaigns used to work for us but don't anymore. I get the following error after creating the quick campaign: This Quick Campaign could not be performed due to an error: 0x80131500. For more information, contact your system administrator. with the "Status Reason = aborted" I've searched everywhere for this error but can't find anything. Has anyone seen this before? The only change I made to the server was to use the rule deployment wizard but I also did this on another CRM installation server and Quick Campaigns still work there. Update to this: ...

Re: connection fails daily
On 18/12/2009 23:42, fcsark9handler wrote: ????????? *What* did the poster write? -- Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill) ...

Invalid e-mail address while Tracking email in CRM
Hello! One of our clients started receiving an error as below when they track specific emails in CRM: "Invaid e-mail address. For more information, contact your Microsoft Dynamics CRM administrator." The only error on Event Viewer is: "An error occurred while promoting a Microsoft CRM e-mail message. Restart Microsoft Outlook and try again. HR=0x80044192. Context=. Function=CMailItemHelper::HrPromoteMailItemInCrm. Line=1643" User has Rollup 2 installed, Diagnostics and Outlook Temporary folder are clean. Did anybody have this error? I cannot find anything relate...

Consistency Check fails and fails and fails ...
Hello all last Tuesday, we had a Blue Screen on our Home Directories server. After having it restarted, I got a DPM error, thus needing a Consistency Check. Today, one week later, I did 30 Consistency Checks, all having failed with all kinds of errors: - DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\Volume{83986761-1bce-4d28-bf4c-25bf9d86a50f}\HomeDirectories\K... (ID 2033 Details: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)) - DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\Volume{83986761-1bce-4d28-bf4c-25bf9d86a50f}\HomeDirectories\G...

Auto enter email address
I have 2 computers at home with Outlook 2007. On one as you start to type an email address in the TO, CC or BCC box the names will pop up if they are in the address book. The other one will not. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Bob Heideloff Hi Bob, this site should help: "AutoComplete" http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/CH010496931033.aspx Maybe it helps. -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Public ShareFolder Synchronize Outlook between PC and Notebook: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware.com "Bob Heideloff" <bheideloff...

Unwanted Link Update Msgs in Excel 2003
For those of you who are now using Excel 2003, perhaps you have been annoyed by Link Update messages whenever you open a workbook having links to other workbooks. If you click Edit->Links you get the links window that has the check boxes you can use to turn off the annoying messages. However, I could never make them work. Then I clicked Options and started looking through the various tabs. Sure 'nuff, under the EDIT tab in an inconspicuous list of 4 check boxes is one that says "Ask to update links", and it was checked. I removed the check, and now I don't get the me...

priv1.stm file growing for unknown reason
Hello, I'm running Exchange 2003 Standard with 30 users all running Outlook 2003. Occasionally a few users will use OWA and we have one Macintosh user also accessing via Entourage (sp?) Our store is under 6Gb and all users have limits on their mailboxes and have been diligent in keeping them below the limits. Our priv1.stm file is regularly reaching nearly 10Gb and unless I defrag it every couple weeks our system will reach the 16Gb limit and shut down. Each time I run a defrag the stm file goes down to under 1Gb, but then grows rapidly over the next couple weeks and approaches ...

Why is collection failing?
I'm creating a wrapper class for a collection object, mainly so I can test whether a given records exists. I'm baffled as to why I'm getting "Invalid procedure or argument" in the exists function when I try to extract the value, whether it actually exists or not. I've tried collection.item and collection(item), same result. BTW, the values are numbers that I convert to strings. Option Compare Database Option Explicit 'this class object extends the collection object to include an 'exists' boolean function Private colStatus As VBA.Collection Private S...

when reply getting old exchange server 5.5 GAL addresses
We upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server in a new domain from Exchange 5.5 on an NT 4 domain. We exported the user's emails to a pst file and imported them into their new account on the exchange 2003 server. Now users get undeliverable messages when replying to email sent before the upgrade. The problem doesn't occur when users manually select the same addresses from the Global Address List. It looks like the clients are pulling old Exchange Server 5.5 addresses. How can I update our Exchange clients to use the new addresses in the new GAL? I do not want to make my users manually remo...

OWA not accessible from the internet, but it is accessible through internet address on the internal domain!
I have a strange situation, OWA is accessible withing the domain by using the internet address of the server. However, the same internet address used by a computer ouside a domain does not give OWA: page is not found! Strangely enough, this only happens with OWA. RWW is accessible from outside through the internet but OWA is not. The exchange server does not have ISA installed, it is SBS2003 without firewall (but with router and ssl port 443 open) Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks Prem ...

CreateDirectoryW fails
Hi I want to create a directory with more then 300 characters. I am using the CreateDirectoryW function and prepending \\?\ to the path for eg.. CreateDirectoryW("\\\\?\\C:\\Temp\\..." some long name but the function fails with error 123. What could be the problem. I am working on Windows 2000. Regards Jakir Would it hurt to tell us what error 123 means? (I looked it up and it says the fllename syntax is illegal). Give your code snippet below, I'm not surprised. Take a look at CreateDirectoryW. What is its argument type? A Unicode string. So you should supply a Unic...

Users failing to log in to Exchange on some PCs but not others.
Last week a number of laptop users reported that whenever they run Outlook 2002 to access exchange they are being prompted with a login dialogue. As they are already authorised network users this should not be happening. I took the most important users laptop and checked the settings to find everything was OK. I started a test profile and tried to set up the user there. Same problem. I went to another PC and set up a new profile and accessed exchange immediately. Back at the laptop, I reinstalled the Outlook Suite, The Network components and anything else I could think may be at fault, but sti...

OWA and address resolution.
Hi, I have a coexsistent setup between Groupwise 5.5 ep and Exchange 2003. With authentication via form enabled and SSL certificate. All the mail is relayed thru the API gateway from groupwise site. Now when the internet mail that comes thru to Exchange has this format. Internet.Gwia.username@domain.com. Replying using the Outlook client no problem , mail gets delivered. Now using OWA it keeps the above format (Internet.gwia.username@domain.com) and immediate brings up the address check names box. Because it is not resolving the name. But if you clear out the Internet.Gwia and just...

Operation Failed error
When I attempt to send a worksheet via email (Outlook 2000) I get "Operation Failed" error. Any ideas? ...

Add address automatically
Hi all, Just wanna know if it is possible to include an email address automatically to the cc list whenever i wanna try to reply an email or create a new mail. I am working as a helpdesk thus whenever i want to reply to an it query i will cc the helpdesk account so that the rest of the helpdesk crew will know that the query has been dealt with. Thanks a zillion in advance. Not with any current version of Outlook. You can write code that does this: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/autoaddrecip.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "SecretCharacter" <henry.tan@tellabs.com> wro...

What is 'SystemMailbox{C62ADF63-A123 etc.}' and question on Address Lists
Sorry for the long subject. First off, what is this SystemMailbox account I have listed in my exchange mailbox store? I know 5.5 had the System Attendent, yet 2003 (mine at least) seems to have both now. My SA mailbox has 0 items in it and my SM mailbox has 401 items in it and 361kb (tiny I know, but in my little test lab here, I have very little activity going on). Is the SystemMailbox the 2003 equivilent of the System Attendent and because I did a 5.5 > 2003 upgrade (move mailbox, ADC etc.) it was moved over but now has become useless? Can I delete it? Second question: Address list...

Report Load Failed
when i deploy my project, crystel report have an error "report load failed".This project made in C# desktop application 2008. In solution, there is no error beacuse the crystel report path work well in solution but no well in deployment. ...

Preventing certail domains from using * Address Space?
Due to an integration we need to ensure that ALL SMTP traffic to certain domains stays on our internal network tunnels and is delivered to a specific IP address in a separate Exchange Org. The problem is that even with a separate SMTP Connector with a cost of 1 we are still seeing some mail flow to our other higher cost connectors. How can this be prevented? Thank you for your help, Paul <pfortner@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1127494597.758768.269880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Due to an integration we need to ensure that ALL SMTP traffic to > certain domains stays ...

Excel fails to save properly
I have a daily exercise in which I copy a web-based datagrid and paste it into an Excel workbook. It's typically up to 6,000 rows +/- and 15 columns wide. It takes a while to paste. After that I block format remove text-wrap and adjust row height and column widths to fit, change the worksheet tab to a description name, then attempt to SAVE AS "XXXX_YYYY-MM-DD.XLS". At this point the worksheet usually becomes unresponsive but not always. If I close Excel and then reopen it, the recovered file can eventually be repaired and saved. Is this a known problem? I suspect th...

Unknown Error #2
What does"Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name" mean. I'm under Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate in VBA. The sub should look like this: Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() The error message suggests that you've modified it in some way. -- Jim "aftamath" <aftamath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D7F59C3-CE2D-42AB-AD6B-A198C0BF99AA@microsoft.com... | What does"Procedure declaration does not match description of event or | procedure having the same name" mean. I'm unde...

FAiled instalation of Exchange 2003
I have just arrived on site and found some one has tried to install exchange 2003 in the domain and then just deleted all the objects before they left. This is now causing great problems, as I have reinstalled exchange 2003 but it, believes that there is a virtual site "old server name” and I can not get rid of it. Every time I create a mail box it does not appear anywhere. Could anyone point me at an article that shows you how to undo all forest and domain preps from your AD so that I may redeploy this server in a working state? I have removed my new server by running the remoevor...

Phone nos. & email addresses from my iphone into Outlook?
I would like to import phone nos. & email addresses from my iphone into Outlook. I believe this is possible if you have iTunes installed. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386?viewlocale=en_US "Tony Mastro" <Tony Mastro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8367E1FD-F940-4667-84BC-0EE239C024B2@microsoft.com... >I would like to import phone nos. & email addresses from my iphone into > Outlook. ...

stretchdibits fails
This is my function that I wrote to extract AVI frames from AVI file. Actually I wanted to get avi frames into DIB format, converter it DDB and then save it to a file, This is a function that I write to do so, Here SetDIBits function returns O (Error), I don't know what am I doing wrong, Could anyone please tell where I am wrong. BOOL CAviFile::ExtractAVIFrames(CString szFileName) { AVIFileInit(); PAVIFILE avi; int res = AVIFileOpen(&avi, szFileName, OF_READ, NULL); if (res!=AVIERR_OK) { //an error occures if (avi != NULL) AVIFileRelea...

Address Book and other questions?
I have the following questions: How do I organize the address book to look like it does in Outlook - i.e. - detailed address cards? Can I change the color palette in Entourage? "Craig Schiffer" wrote: > How do I organize the address book to look like it does in Outlook - i.e. - > detailed address cards? I've never used Outlook so I couldn't even guess at how it looks. You need to post screenshots and give details of what you want the Address Book contact to show. You can post a screenshot link using a service like ImageShack. <http://imageshack.us/> How To...