Editing, encoding and saving messages in OUTLOOK 2007

I came across a very peculiar phenomenon in OUTLOOK 2007.

I edit received messages by deleting the “history” (the previous
correspondence included by the sender) and leave only the new text written by
the sender. I then save the messages “AS PLAIN TEXT”. The motivation is to
keep the PST file small.

When I reopen one of those edited received messages, I notice that the
ENCODING is “Western European (Windows)”. When I change the ENCODING to “US
ASCII”, ALL THE DELETED TEXT REAPPEARS!

The described strange phenomenon implies that OUTLOOK didn’t actually delete
the text removed when the received messages were edited, the deleted text was
just “hidden”. Hence, the PST file stores plenty of obsolete data. (The
deleted “history” in a message is usually much larger than the useful text
that I want to retain.)

Is there a way to REALLY DELETE the redundant text and keep only the data
that I need in plain text and thus to keep the PST file small?

Thank you for your help.

ATK

OT: IE Save Dialog gone!
Hello... My Explorer now automatically OPENs a zip file, instead of providing the save dialog. Where do I go to restore this association's setting so that it goes back to prompting me for where to save it or run it, etc.? HELP! Thanks, Meow FYI - Just saying "OT" doesn't make this a good place for this question... http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?category=40&qid=259 Tim "MeowSayTongue" <MeowSayTongue@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> wrote in message news:tmajg5hvggh5vvkg0v01k3oh60svfvfar4@4ax.com... > &...

Recover from Outlook Beta 2003
I removed the Beta version of outlook 2003. Before I removed it I exported up my mail to a .pst file. When I installed Outlook XP and went to open it, it said it was incompatible..Now I lost all my mail ?? Reinstall the beta, opt to create a new 97-2002 compatible .pst file. Drag and drop items from the new to the old. Then uninstall and you should be able to use the .pst file. BTW, just curious... when you opted to change to the new Unicode format, did you read the warning? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having search...

Dates of Appointments in Outlook 2007
I've recently (two days ago) installed Outlook 2007, and since then appointments sent to me seem to choose their own dates in my calendar. For example an appointment for February 10 2010, sent to me on Nov 21 ended up as one on the day following acceptance of the appointment. Any ideas please? -- rugbyfiddler You need to reset the view. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/resetview.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:da...

Managing users' CRM 4.0 for Outlook settings
Is there a way to centrally manage users' CRM 4.0 for Outlook settings? (Perhaps via AD group policy, for example) By "settings" I mean all those settings in the users' personal CRM 4.0 for Outlook options: eg when synchronization occurs, what gets synchronized, local data groups etc...; Thanks! I have the same question, is there no ADM template for CRM? "Peter Lynch" wrote: > Is there a way to centrally manage users' CRM 4.0 for Outlook settings? > (Perhaps via AD group policy, for example) > > By "settings" I mean all tho...

Outlook and New Computer
Hi, I am settting up a new computer and wondering how I can export my rules and junk e-mail from the old computer to the new computer. I am using Outlook 2003 Thanks Irene -- Irene Gaffigan, CRS, ABR e-PRO Certified Internet Professional Allen F Hainge CyberStar (TM) COLDWELL BANKER MOUNTAIN PROPERTIES 194 Main Street Ludlow, VT 05149 Home of OKEMO MOUNTAIN Office : (802) 228-5678 Fax: (802) 228-4100 E-Mail: mailto:Irene@IsellVermontRealEstate.com Website: http://isellvermontrealestate.com Licensed in Vermont Junk rules are now contained in the .pst file. Just copy th...

Dont Save OnClose if..
This form has about 12 Text Boxes But when I click cmdClose I dont want the record to save if [tbName] Control Source [OwnerLastName] Text Field This dose not seem to work..........Thanks for any Help.........Bob Private Sub cmdClose_Click() If IsNull(tbName) Then If Me.Dirty Then Me.Undo End If End If DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name End Sub This could be a timing issue, Bob, i.e. the record might already be saved before this code runs. The only way you can be sure to catch this is to use the BeforeUpdate event procedure of the *form*. Access fires this event just before...

Message Queues #2
I want to implement some sort of message queue. I have a client application and a server application. The server communicates with radio modems and can only communicate through a serial link. The client application has to be able to send commands to the server and the server must then send these commands down the serial link. The server must be able to queue up the messages and then send each one down one at a time. Is there any tutorials, examples or help that anyone can provide?? Thanks in advance !!! Lots of mechanisms exist. Part of it depends on the degree of traffic. The most ...

editting auto recovery

Filter and save result
After filtering a list, how do I save only the filtered result "as it is" on the same sheet and discard the rest? Please help...thanks. Paste it unto a new sheet and discard the old, or reverse the filter so you gat everything except what you intended to filter for and then delete all rows -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "annoni" <annoni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4C7227A-2063-4710-A1D4-0A58BA7ACA99@microsoft.com... > After filtering a list, how do I save only the filtered result "as it is" > on > the same sheet and...

Outlook address book #21
In contacts, I have my personal address book and business address book. If I have a contact in both, how do I make changes without having to re-type the correct info in both books? Can they be linked so that when I change my personal address book the business address book is also be updated? How do I add a contact in both without having to re-type the contact? Outlook does not use address books, so you'll need to define more accurately what you mean by "address book." If what you really mean is separate Contact Folders and yet you have the same Contact in both folders, ...

Flagged messages
Is there a way to mark certain messages (for instance - messages have been marked with a flag for followup) Do not Archive - when the autoarchive option has been selected? Thank you. If you open the message go to File > Properties > checkbox at bottom of dialogue "Rita" <rpdavis@nuclearfuelservices.com> wrote in message news:000101c3602f$1e537060$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to mark certain messages (for instance - > messages have been marked with a flag for followup) Do not > Archive - when the autoarchive option has been selected? > > Tha...

Outlook won't open #9
I have Outlook 2000. When I try to open it it loads for 3/4 secs then closes. This is only a recent happening, have re-installed without joy. Thanks for anyone's help Phil Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If using Windows 2000 or XP, you will need to enable searching hidden and system folders.) Once you have done so, reopen Outlook and it should open fine. You will need to rebuild any custom toolbars or customizations as the file outcmd.dat controls how the toolbars display. When it becomes corrupted, it will cause Outlook to hang because it cannot create ...

Sales for Outlook
Hi, We've got CRM 1.2 installed on a front-end dedicated server (Server 2003 SP1 plus the CRM rollup patch 1), connecting to a back-end SQL server. Have Outlook clients (Windows XP/Office 2003 + all updates) using Sales for Outlook client (with client version of rollup patch 1). Everything has been working fine - then suddenly last week, when you click on any of the CRM folders in Outlook, the main window shows up a "Cannot Find Server" - "The Page Cannot be displayed" browser error (cannot find server or DNS error). All clients are getting this error. The C...

Won't Allow Clicking a Link in a Message
Suddenly, Outlook will no longer allow me to click on a link or picture that takes me to a website. I get an error message that says: This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System Administrator. I compared my Security settings with my wife's settings and everything checks out the same as hers. Any ideas on this issue? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim . Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com "Jim" <jim[at]walkersdomain[dot]com> wrote in message news:e6WEpTqcKHA.612@TK2MS...

Question:Message Delivery
I need to allow my exchange 2003 server to receive emails from one email mailing list(for example, list@goodwill.com), which come from other organization. However, the exchange configuration doesn't allow any emails, which do not have my domain email in To Field, to go through. What should I do to allow only one email mailing address to go through my exhange server? FYI:MS-Intelligent Message Filter is also installed in the server. Thanks, C.G. ...

I can't email from outlook
I can recieve email into my outlook. If I either reply or try and compose and send it always comes back as unable to send. My web page provider is go daddy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, -- 13 what error message do you get when the mail fails? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outloo...

Customize Outlook Today
I had some one ask me to fix their "Customize Outlook Today" as it had stopped working. In Outlook 2000 it is the button near the top right of the page you get by pressing the Outlook Today Icon in the Outlook shortcuts toolbar. After trying for a while, I then tried to see if it worked on My PC... It didn't, and nor did it work on ANY of the half dozen I've tried since. I know it DID work at some time in the past, but some Windows update or IE patch must have broken it. I get the same result with Outlook 2000, SR-1 and SP-3 and both on Windows 98 and Windows XP. An...

I am getting a message "Unable to open http:...." while working o.
I am getting a message "Unable to open http:....blah, blah, blah. How do I get rid of this? It pops up every minute or two. See what programs are running in the background? "dicky" <dicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F8BFD7D-AD65-447C-82B1-33FDA2358242@microsoft.com... : I am getting a message "Unable to open http:....blah, blah, blah. How do I : get rid of this? It pops up every minute or two. ...

Intelligent Message Filter Updates??
I am wondering if anyone knows if there are plans to roll out updates to the IMF for Exchange 2003. I installed the update from Feb 2005 right after I installed the IMF, but it would be nice if the product had recent updates. It has been working pretty good, but it isn't catching enough. thanks, Frank Hi Frank, You have the most recent IMF update. It is currently unknown when the next update is planned. Microsoft will most likely monitor the effectiveness of the feb update and release a one when it becomes less effective. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Ex...

Display Knowledge Base object in Microsoft CRM 3.0 Outlook Client
I am trying to display the KB object in CRM according to the following article: http://www.workopia.com/howto/DisplayKnowledgeBaseOutlookClient.htm I found another note to the above link that states there are two entries that needed to be modified and I made them both. But have still had no luck. Does anyone know how to make this work? TIA Larry ...

Outlook 2000 files in Outlook 2003
After upgrading outlook 2000 to 2003 I lost the text in some saved emails. Any ideas on why? Do you have PGP installed? -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "R-tap" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:070401c3c320$6048cf20$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After upgrading outlook 2000 to 2003 I lost the text in > some saved emails. Any ideas on why? No... pretty plain jane XP\office 2003 install no encryption. >-----Original Me...

BOM & Edit List