Default options for "Tasks" in Outlook

Hi - what I'm looking for is to be able to set it up so when I auto-create a
new task that I can set what the options are.  For example, I want generic
tasks to have no due date, and the category "Admin", instead of today's date,
and a blank category.

Advice would be appreciated!

(I did find the method for the default due date - thank you to an earlier
poster!)

Is there any way to choose other default catetories?

"B J" wrote:

> Hi - what I'm looking for is to be able to set it up so when I auto-create a
> new task that I can set what the options are.  For example, I want generic
> tasks to have no due date, and the category "Admin", instead of today's date,
> and a blank category.
>
> Advice would be appreciated!
No, you can't set the date based on the category.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?

"B J" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> (I did find the method for the default due date - thank you to an earlier
> poster!)
>
> Is there any way to choose other default catetories?
>
> "B J" wrote:
>
>> Hi - what I'm looking for is to be able to set it up so when I
>> auto-create a
>> new task that I can set what the options are.  For example, I want
>> generic
>> tasks to have no due date, and the category "Admin", instead of today's
>> date,
>> and a blank category.
>>
>> Advice would be appreciated!

0
Diane
2/2/2010 12:13:06 AM
Thanks!

However, I'm not looking to have the date set by category.

I'm just looking to have a default category.

When I go to the "Click to add new task" area, all I want is to be able to
type in the name of the task, and have that task default to the "Admin"
category.

:)

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> No, you can't set the date based on the category.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?
> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=33803
>
> "B J" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > (I did find the method for the default due date - thank you to an earlier
> > poster!)
> >
> > Is there any way to choose other default catetories?
> >
> > "B J" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi - what I'm looking for is to be able to set it up so when I
> >> auto-create a
> >> new task that I can set what the options are.  For example, I want
> >> generic
> >> tasks to have no due date, and the category "Admin", instead of today's
> >> date,
> >> and a blank category.
> >>
> >> Advice would be appreciated!
>
> .

You can't do that either. You have two choices - use VBA or save task
templates with the categories filled in. You can open them from a shortcut
(using the normal template menu would be more work than selecting the
category.)

--

> Thanks!
>
> However, I'm not looking to have the date set by category.
>
> I'm just looking to have a default category.
>
> When I go to the "Click to add new task" area, all I want is to be able to
> type in the name of the task, and have that task default to the "Admin"
> category.
>
> :)
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> No, you can't set the date based on the category.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?
>> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=33803
>>
>> "B J" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > (I did find the method for the default due date - thank you to an
>> > earlier
>> > poster!)
>> >
>> > Is there any way to choose other default catetories?

>> .

0
Diane
2/2/2010 3:10:55 AM
OK, thanks.
I'll poke around with VBA a bit.   It's just I'm going to have a couple
users who will be creating a lot of tasks with the same category - just
trying to save them some work!

BJ

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> You can't do that either. You have two choices - use VBA or save task
> templates with the categories filled in. You can open them from a shortcut
> (using the normal template menu would be more work than selecting the
> category.)
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?
> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=33803
>
> "B J" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks!
> >
> > However, I'm not looking to have the date set by category.
> >
> > I'm just looking to have a default category.
> >
> > When I go to the "Click to add new task" area, all I want is to be able to
> > type in the name of the task, and have that task default to the "Admin"
> > category.
> >
> > :)
> >

> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> No, you can't set the date based on the category.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips by email:
> >> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
> >>
> >> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> >> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >>
> >> Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?
> >> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=33803
> >>
> >> "B J" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .

tasks in 2007
I used to be able to copy tasks in 2003 - but there is no option for this in 2007. Does anyone know how to do this? or am I out of luck? "help!" <help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF6C7648-4FD9-4E53-94BC-121C29F46289@microsoft.com... >I used to be able to copy tasks in 2003 - but there is no option for this in > 2007. Does anyone know how to do this? or am I out of luck? Right-click the task and drag it to the new folder. Release the mouse button and choose Copy. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] On 2/24/2010 12:16 PM, help! wrote:...

Managing Tasks and Projects in Outlook
Hi, I am curiuous to hear about the best way to manage tasks and projects in Outlook. Currently I manage projects by either setting up a task and constantly updating it with notes, or by setting up a folder and placing project e-mail messagges into the folder. I'm hoping there is an easier way to handle the management. I am also interested to hear of any Outlook add-ons or plug-in's that can help me with Task/Project Management. As far as stand alone programs are concerned, I have tried Microsoft Project, but it seems like overkill to me. Thanks for your help. ccesena@redwoodcity....

Multiple tasks and calendar items
When I open Outlook I come to the Today page. At first, it looks normal. But when the program is finished loading completely, it changes the tasks and calndar parts of the screen and shows hundreds of occurences of each item. That is, it tells me to buy milk 200 times or so! What is this? Why does it happen? My Outlook has always behaved normally and I have not made any system or program updates before this happens. Could the installation of a completely different program have caused this? Or the addition of more hardware? I have expanded the memory in my Dell Inspiron 500M with the r...

Default Roles and Tasks in Canadian Payroll
Installs of Dynamics GP version 10 should have default Security Tasks and Roles pre-installed. Currently all tasks and roles have to be built from scratch - causing many customers to delay migration to the version 10. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. h...

Sub Folders Tasks to Outlook Today
Is it possible to get sub folder tasks to appear in Outlook Today? Gerry No, all you can do is to display a link to sub-task folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: gs <Celtic4Ever1967@hotmail.com> asked: | Is it possible to get sub folder tasks to appear in Outlook Today? | | Gerry How do I do that Thanks "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutsendingmemail.mvps.org> wrote in message news:eqisyUkpDHA.424@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx....

Sending Tasks
Is this possable, I have a client who uses Exchange 2000. Sending tasks from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2000 taks are fine. This client has users at a remote office that pick up there Exchange mail via POP. When tasks are sent to these users the Tasks come through just as a message. I have tried changing the Mail format to Plain, Html, Rich Text still not joy any help appreciated. Regards Jason Fraser You need to force RTF on these tasks to outside users. Before sending, right click on the address, select properties, and at the bottom, check the box to send using RTF. --� Milly St...

Outlook/PDA Tasks -- tantalizing, but not there yet
This has to be getting to be an old story. Why does Microsoft perpetually ignore Outlook Tasks? I want to use Outlook/Exchange to manage a fairly large, active shared task list for a small group of busy technical consultants who support a number of client companies. Outlook is well suited to this due to its great support for mobile users via Exchange, networking, synchronization, and software for various PDAs. On the other hand, there are a few seemingly-trivial show-stopper issues that appear to be chronically ignored. The biggest is that I need the shared/public Tasks folder to track ta...

CRM 3.0 Converting Campaign Task into tasks
I would like to convert Campaign Tasks into Tasks. The reason for this is that only Tasks are sync'ed with Outlook. Can it be done with the workflow manager. I had a look at it but without any result. Tnx -- Frederic Pieters CRM Consultant - www.traviata.be ...

Create Contact View with Tasks
Outlook 2000: Is it possible to create a CONTACT view that lists each task assigned to those contacts. Here is why I don't want to do it from inside tasks - I would like to print a list of all of my contacts and the tasks assigned to them, even those contacts that don't have tasks assigned to them - that way I can catch any contacts that we havn't assigned a task to. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help!!! ...

How to sort the list of tasks in TaskPad
Outlook 2003 SP2 I've asked this before, but still its very frustrating as I can't solve it...any suggestions appreciated! I have a long list of tasks in TaskPad, (which I choose to show in the Calendar view). I need to control the order in which those tasks are displayed. I'm pretty sure that in the past I've been able to drag n drop them in the list - I rememer seeing a red line which indicated where the item was about to be dropped. But now I can't! They seem to be fixed in the order in which they were created/added. The behaviour is the same if I look at th...

Access to tasks
Hi all, I am using an exchange 2003 setup with office 2003 pro.I can share my tasks so that my manager can review them. But what I would like to do is add a link to a microsoft word document (monthly report) so when it is click on by the manger it will display the completed tasks for that month. Has anyone tried this or is it impossible to query outlook to display only certain data. I know that I can view that completed task and sort them by date. But is there a way of linking Word 2003. In a nut shell my manger would like to click a link in the monthly report so that the completed tas...

Completed Tasks Strikethough in PWA
Hi folks, I am wondering if tasks that are set to complete 100% in PWA My Task by a team member if such tasks appear in My Tasks with a strikethrough font. /Spiro Theopoulos/ ST -- The strikethrough font formatting in the My Tasks page applies to tasks that were delegated by the user to another team member, or tasks that were deleted by the user. I have never seen completed tasks marked with strikethrough font formatting. Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Howard [MVP] VP of Educational Services msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com http://www.projectserverexp...

Create an Scheduled Tasks without a User Password in C++?
Hi comunity, is there any way to create an scheduled tasks without a user password, for example, i'ma Administrator on my pc, without a password? I use the VisualStudio 6 and the OS is WinXP Professional! The function what i use is : /* SetAccountInformation(L"", NULL); */ // first that is what i mean?! SetAccountInformation(myUserName.AllocSysString(), NULL); regards mirsad hi It's is impossible to create an new right scheduled Task without inputting a user password . if it do , there will be a bug in windowsXP. it you will to research that , I can advise you to get...

Tasks: show only my favorite views
Hi Everybody, I would like to be able to make my "Current View" drop-down list in Tasks only a show my favorite views, or have a toolbar button that goes right to a certain view. Is that possible? Thanks, Steve (Win98SE, Outlook2000) ...

Calendar Events and Tasks are deleting on their own 12-17-09
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop This is a weird one. I even took my MacBook to the Apple Store and they couldn't figure this one out. <br><br>My calendar events and Tasks are deleting within one minute of me creating them. It also deleted all of my events that were previously entered. There are a few that stayed and did not delete. I cannot find a pattern to determine which stayed and which got deleted. The thing that i did notice about events that stayed is that they are all All Day Events. New All Day Events del...

Apply an Efficiency Factor to Tasks or Resources
I have a large resource group - 27 people (shown as 2700%) I need them to each not be working at 100% of the 8 hour day they are attached to in a calendar. I would like to reduce the day in the calendar the resources are using to 7 hours without changing the duration of the project - just using more resources. Suggestions? I'm limited to the 2003 version. Changing the calendar will just bring you grief trying to work out what's happening. Instead you should assign your resource at around 2350% to represent 80% of 27 people. This leaves 20% of their day for...

Recurring Tasks Frustration
I can't understand my Microsoft hasn't addressed a particular feature that a lot of us have been complaining about it from long ago: When you setup a recurring task "Pay the rent" to appear every month, you can't check it off as completed without the this task appearing again, right away (for the next month). It sits there all month long till it's time to check it off again, which then causes the NEXT month's version of this task to immediately appear. I know you can setup Outlook Today to only show today's tasks. But I don't want to view Outlook Today, I...

Outlook 2007 / Tasks / To-Do Bar
I'm using Outlook 2007 with Windows XP. I recently had a problem with a corrupted Calendar and needed to do an In-Box Repair - which fixed that issue. But now, the Tasks have disappeared from the To-Do Bar. Under "My Tasks" in the Navigation Pane, there are Tasks and a To-Do List. The To-Do List contains 5 items but Tasks contains all of my tasks. The Task area in the To-Do Bar pulls the 5 items from the To-Do List but nothing from Tasks. I think I'm having a "senior moment" 'cause I can't figure this out. Any advice would be appreciated...

Time intervals in Calendar and Tasks
Outlook XP - is there a way of setting the default time interval to (say) 10 minutes instead of 30? Thanks Go to calender and right click on the appointment page. Choose Other Settings from the context menu. Cheers Graant "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in message news:bmha07$mqtk9$1@ID-108938.news.uni-berlin.de... > Outlook XP - is there a way of setting the default time interval to (say) 10 > minutes instead of 30? > > Thanks > > Grant Turri-Petrie wrote: > Go to calender and right click on the appointment page. Choose Other > S...

Sorting Tasks
I track work hours by task. There are over 500 tasks that I have created a workbook for that I have a sheet for the employee, then I put in hours and task number into columns for each day. SImple enough, then I have another sheet that takes the hours associated to the task number and puts it in the list of over 500 tasks. The question / problem is, I don't like or want to have to look through all 500 tasks to see the total of hours for each one. THere are usually only about 20 used in a given day, so I see alot of zeroes. I have created another sheet/tab that has the days of the wee...

Publishing Tasks Updates
When working on Project Server 2007 for approving tasks updates, is there a way to have the tasks automatically published on to a project plan rather than the PM having to first approve of the task and then go to the Applied Task Update Requests and Errors page to select the tasks that need to be published and then pick the project it needs to be published too? I know there is a way for them to do it straight from the project plan in Project Professional but the PMs prefer to use the web access since they can approve of more than one project at a time but then they find it cumbe...

PS2007: Timesheet selection in "Import Timesheet into My Tasks"
All, The drop down window where you select the timesheet period to import into my tasks is not ordered, includes ALL periods since we started using PS2007 (it's huge), and there does not seem to be a way to eliminate some past periods. Anybody knows of a way to order alphabetically, reduce to only the last 3 months, or modify the drop down list otherwise??? Right now we have 112 periods to select from!!!!! thx PedroJose -- The only way I have found to order the Timesheets is to ask every user to rename their timesheet using a naming convention like: 01/31/20...

Links in tasks
I am using Outlook 2003. I apologise in advance if this is a very simple question, but I cannot find any way to insert a link within a task to a file on my computer. I do not want to insert the file, I simply want to insert a link to whatever document the task is related to. I thought I should be able to insert a hyperlink, but none of the toolbars will give me that option. Hector "Hector" <socialissues1954@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23W0J9by3EHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I am using Outlook 2003. I apologise in advance if this is a very simple > question,...

mass of cases/tasks/emails assigned to user
hello, I have just hada really strange thing happen in CRM 4.0. one user has just been assigned over 90 tasks/cases/emails. Has anyone ever had such a problem? Thanks Ian ...

Can you generate Outlook tasks using VBScript?
(I hope this isn't a duplicate post, but it didn't appear to submit when I tried a few minutes ago) I'm trying to use a VbScript to generate Outlook tasks for Windows network users. I've been using the following code so far: dim ol dim olTask set ol=createobject("Outlook.Application") set olTask=ol.CreateItem(3) with olTask .DueDate="03/04/2006" .Subject="Any Subject" .Body="Any Body" .Recipients.Add "<Recipient Name>" .Assign .send end with set ol=nothing set olTask=nothing However, If I use this method, I get t...