confirmation of delivery??

Hi

I want confirmation that an email has been delivered/received.  In the
options I checked the box for delivery confirmation.  I get an email back
stating:

Delivery to these recipients or distribution lists is complete, but delivery
notification was not sent by the destination:

does that mean it was delivered-- or is there a problem that occured?

--
Thank-you!
Ruth

It means that the message has been delivered to the mailbox on the server
successfully. The notification only stresses the fact that a delivery
notification cannot confirm that the message also got delivered to client
the recipient is using to read his/her email. So the delivery has been
confirmed by the server and not by the recipient itself.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Ruth" <Ruth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I want confirmation that an email has been delivered/received.  In the
> options I checked the box for delivery confirmation.  I get an email back
> stating:
>
> Delivery to these recipients or distribution lists is complete, but
> delivery
> notification was not sent by the destination:
>
> does that mean it was delivered-- or is there a problem that occured?
>
> --
> Thank-you!
> Ruth

0
Roady
3/30/2010 2:35:45 PM
That delivery confirmation might have come from an e-mail server in the
senders's organization to let her know that the message left her
organization. Not every e-mail system will generate a confirmation. And the
confirmation might come from one of the "main" e-mail servers, not the
actual recipient's mailbox server. Some systems won't even generate an error
if the recipient wasn't valid.

I don't know if there's an actual RFC standard for delivery/read
confirmations. And if there is, most vendors probably implement them
differently and have options to enable/disable them. My point is that you
can't really depend on the message delivery/read recipients, especially for
recipients outside of your organization.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

message news:evRrKZB0KHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

"M" <m@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> That delivery confirmation might have come from an e-mail server in the
> senders's organization to let her know that the message left her
> organization. Not every e-mail system will generate a confirmation. And the
> confirmation might come from one of the "main" e-mail servers, not the
> actual recipient's mailbox server. Some systems won't even generate an error
> if the recipient wasn't valid.

My interpretation is that the sender targeted a mailing list on a listserv and
that the list server that received the message is the entity replying with the
read receipt.  Who knows whether it delivered the message to the list members.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
3/30/2010 6:39:51 PM
Ruth wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want confirmation that an email has been delivered/received.  In the
> options I checked the box for delivery confirmation.  I get an email back
> stating:
>
> Delivery to these recipients or distribution lists is complete, but delivery
> notification was not sent by the destination:
>
> does that mean it was delivered-- or is there a problem that occured?

Read or delivery receipts are a *request* made by adding a header to the
outbound message.  The name and value of these headers are defined by RFC or
were defined by common usage (i.e., de facto standards).

Delivery receipts are handled by the recipient's mail server and as such
provide no proof that the message was actually placed in the recipient's
final mailbox (since there may be further internal routing before reaching
the mailbox) or that the recipient was able to retrieve the message.  Few
mail servers waste their resources to respond to delivery receipt requests.
They will reject a message during a mail session with the sending mail
server if they know the message is undeliverable which results in the
sending mail server issuing an NDR (Non-Deliverable Report) message back to
the sender, or they accept the message and later issue an NDR if the message
is found to be undeliverable but after the mail session with the sending
mail server was ended.  They are not interested in expending their resources
to send back positive feedback for the much higher volume of deliverable
messages since the lack of the negative feedback (reject during mail session
or NDR sent later) is itself the positive feedback.

Read receipts are handled by the recipient's e-mail client; that is, not
only must the message be delivered to and accepted by the recipient's mail
server and then get to their mailbox but the recipient must also be able to
successfully retrieve and also view the message.  Retrieving the message
into the recipient's e-mail client is not sufficient to issue an
acknowledgement (receipt).  The recipient must actually open or view the
message in their e-mail client.  Most users will say No to a prompt to send
the acknowledgement message or they configure their e-mail client to always
ignore the request.  Not all e-mail clients support read receipt handling,
especially webmail clients.

When read or delivery notifcations are requested by the sender, one of the
following headers are in the received copy of the e-mail:

    Read-Receipt-To
    Return-Receipt-To           (for delivery receipt requests)*
    Return-Receipt-Requested

    Disposition-Notification-To (for read receipt requests; RFC 3798)*
    Generate-Delivery-Report    (for delivery receipt requests)

    * Used by Microsoft Outlook.

Some are obsolete or non-standard (but may be de facto standards); however,
Microsoft has used them at some time.  Only the last 2 are standardized by
RFC.  These headers have as their value the e-mail address to which the
acknowledgement message (i.e., the notification or receipt) gets sent.
Because the Disposition-Notification-To header is defined by RFC 3798
(http://www.ietf.org/html/rfc3798), so also is its MDN (Message Disposition
Notification) format, the content of the acknowledgement, defined by that
RFC.  Although widely used, Return-Receipt-To is not an RFC standard header
(see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2076.txt) but instead a de facto standard so
it may not be recognized by all e-mail clients (for those that support read
receipt handling).  Also, its acknowledgement message (i.e., receipt) is not
defined by RFC so there is no standardized format for a delivery reciept.

RFC 3503 (http://www.ietf.org/html/rfc3503) addresses how MUAs (Mail User
Agents), like Outlook, are to handle MDNs when IMAP is involved.  However,
Outlook is known to have more problems with its IMAP support than do other
e-mail clients.  This RFC was ratified in 2003 but it can take up to 6 years
before e-mail clients adopt RFC standards (and only if they choose to adopt
them).
1
VanguardLH
3/30/2010 8:55:23 PM
And some more info (with some repeated):

Read receipt *requests* (which is a header in the e-mail) are handled by the
recipient's e-mail client.  Whether the e-mail client prompts, always sends,
or always ignores these requests depends on how the user configured their
e-mail client.  The default in most e-mail clients is to prompt when a
sender has requested a read receipt.  This prompt usually spurs the user to
configure their e-mail client to ignore all such further requests as they
are not interested in divulging to the sender as to when they read the
sender's e-mail.

Delivery receipt *requests* (which is a header in the e-mail) are handled by
the recipient's mail host (NOT by the recipient's e-mail client).  It is a
request for the receiving mail host to notify the sender that their e-mail
got to the recipient's mail service.  It does NOT validate that the e-mail
got through that mail service to the recipient's mailbox and it is does not
validate that the recipient retrieved the e-mail in their e-mail client and
then opened that e-mail.
Rare few mail hosts waste their time with positive feedback via delivery
receipts.  They don't need to tell you when your e-mail was accepted by
their mail host.  Instead they send back negative feedback when their mail
host rejects or otherwise will not or can not accept your e-mail.  The lack
of negative feedback is the positive feedback.  Mail hosts don't need to
waste their time validating all accepted e-mails and instead they just need
to provide the negative feedback when they cannot accept your e-mail (or the
sending mail host sends back the negative feedback when it cannot connect to
the receiving mail host).

Read receipts:     Requests are handled by recipient's e-mail client.
                   Most users ignore all such requests.
Delivery receipts: Requests are handled by the receiving mail host.
                   Most mail hosts ignore such requests.

1
VanguardLH

reading confirmation

Preventing NDR's for non-delivery to forwarding address
SBS/Exchange 2003 server. One user has e-mail being forwarded to his PDA account via server-side delivery options in Active Directory (instead of using a rule). Senders are receiving NDR's when the user's main account did receive the message but it did not arrive at the forward address for some reason, for instance when his PDA's wireless is turned off or its mailbox is full. How can I prevent NDR's when the e-mail arrives at the main mailbox but fails to arrive at the alternate/forwarding address? Blackberry or Good Technology :) If that NDR is being generated by his ...

Delayed Delivery not working in 2003
We are using Outlook 2003 Beta and exchange server 2000. Delayed delivery of E-mail items are not working. The email process directly to the sent items folder but never actually sends? How are your Exchange accounts set up in Outlook - as classic on-line or as cached-mode? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Jason R" <jr@fbfguns.com> wrote in message news:025801c360f9$51678d90$a301280a@phx.gbl... > We are using Outlook 2003 Beta and exchange server 2000. > Delayed delivery o...

no transport provider available for delivery of this recipient?
I am having some emails returned to me as undelverable with a specific statement that says "no transport provider available for delivery of this recipient? How can I fix this problem? Thank you. cdaignault wrote: > I am having some emails returned to me as undelverable with a specific > statement that says "no transport provider available for delivery of this > recipient? How can I fix this problem? Thank you. No, that was NOT an e-mail returned to you. It is an error message generated by the *program* (Outlook). http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3...

Question:Message Delivery
I need to allow my exchange 2003 server to receive emails from one email mailing list(for example, list@goodwill.com), which come from other organization. However, the exchange configuration doesn't allow any emails, which do not have my domain email in To Field, to go through. What should I do to allow only one email mailing address to go through my exhange server? FYI:MS-Intelligent Message Filter is also installed in the server. Thanks, C.G. ...

Confirm before sending?
I have a client that accidentally sends e-mails before completing them on a regular basis. They would actually like confirmation before sending any e-mail. I found this reference for VB code but I don't know how to edit or apply it as I know NOTHING about VB - Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean) Dim intRes As Integer Dim strMsg As String strMsg = "Do you really want to send this message?" intRes = MsgBox(strMsg, vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton1, "Confirm Send ") If intRes = vbNo Then Cancel = True End If End Sub ...

Mail delivery problem #2
I am running exchange 2003 sp2. This past monday out of the blue, exchange started delivering messages to users without a mailbox all to one particular user. These could have been employees not in the company any longer and the mailbox has been deleted. Orginially the system mailbox was set to catch all incoming messges without vaild accounts. Any idea how I can help the user from recieving all of the junk messages and make exchange deliver properly again? Thanks John Recheck what's going on. Are you sure that what's being delivered isn't NDRs of undeliverable messages?...

Move confirm
How do I get Vista to not move file without confirmtion??? Have moved files by mistake! -- palm32 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ palm32's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/59496.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1336786.htm http://forums.techarena.in On Thu, 13 May 2010 13:15:03 -0500, palm32 <palm32.4awypb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote: > >How do I get Vista to not move file without confirmtion??? >Have moved files by mistake! How did you manage " by mistake " ? ...

Delivery Restriction for DL
Using Ex55, I have not been able to restrict users from sending to our all employee DL. It works for our 'site', restricting users on the "Delivery Restrictions" tab, but we replicate our entire address book to other sites. The other sites can send to our all employee DL, which is not a desirable feature. "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Using Ex55, I have not been able to restrict users from >sending to our all employee DL. It works for our 'site', >restricting users on the "Delivery Restrictions" tab, bu...

Ocassional messages delayed delivery
Some of my customers are telling me that some messages are taking hours and sometimes a day to be delivered. I have them send a message to nobody@compaq.com and it comes back NDR in a hurry. There does not seem to be a pattern. Is there a way to tell if messages are being hung in my inbound queue? Why would some messages get hung and not others? Thanks, Fred Open the Exchange System Manager, then expand Servers container (if you see Administrative Groups and not server, then Expand AG's, then your AG, then server), Expand the server object, then expand protocols, expand SMTP. You...

Local Delivery #2
I have one user that is unable to send mail to one mailbox. Neither mailbox is restricted by size limits.message is: SMTP: Message Deliverd Locally to username@domain.com SMTP: Message Scheduled to Retry Local Delivery This is looping continuously and eventually sendinga NDR after a couple of days. This is all local delivery between mailboxes on the same Exchange SErver. (2003 SP1 running on Windows Server 2003 SP1) Again, the user can send to any other mailbox, the address for the user that displays the error has been confirmed to be correct. Help..... Post the NDR here please. /da...

Slow delivery
In my organisation we are using outlook 2000/XP with exchange server 2003. The delivery of messages is slow, messages stay in outbox after being send until you click another folder. Same with the inbox, clicking send and receive gives no response, but when you click another folder, messages are deliverd. Can someone help me with this problem. With kind regards. The problem you're having is that the information (called "UDP packets") that Exchange is sending to notify Outlook of changes to your mailbox is being blocked by something. Possible culprits are proxy servers, fire...

Recycle Bin confirm message
I have several W98SE machines. One of them operates normally but has been used for trial installs, and therefore had "moderate" registry cleaning. On this machine, Recycle Bin/Properties, the "show confirmation on delete" message is *unchecked*. But on this machine, I still get the confirm message. I want to stop the confirm message. Is there an area of the Registry to be examined for this? Or, how else to stop it? ms check Display delete Confirmation dialog box.... Apply ....Ok>>> Restart Now unchecked....... Apply..... Ok.......Restart it s...

eConnect and Getting Sales Order Confirmation out of Great Plains
Hi. I am using Biztalk 2004 and eConnect 8.0 to send Sales Orders (ie. trading partner purchase orders) into Great Plains. This much eConnect make easy. But the trading partner would like back (within 24hrs) a confirmation indicating line item status (accepted/rejected/pending). Things get harder at this point. (Although familiar with Biztalk I am inexperienced with eConnect and Great Plains.) I think I need to use the Requester Service. This will setup the indicated triggers and shadow tables. After that I might need the outgoing message service to pick up the new/modified rows from s...

Confirm Ship Issue
We are running GP8.0 SP5 and we have been experiencing this issue once in a while. When user clicks Confirm Ship, the header changes to Invoice but not the details. In GP, it appears as if the document has no details. I checked the database and found that only SOP10100 and SOP10112 get updated, the rest of the table still have the SOPType = 6 which is Fulfillment Order. This problems happens to everyone having access to it. Anybody ever experience this issue before? TIA, Sugih ...

Messages stuck in local delivery queue #2
I have an Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2k3 all updates applied. Whenever i try to send an email to everyone in the comany through a distribution list called "Everyone" the message will not deliver to all recipients. I am getting Event ID: 327 Source: MS Exchange Transport Category: Exchange Store Driver. The event mentions this error code: EcLocallyDeliverMsg to the store failed. Error code : -2147221240. The NDR report states: This message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server. Please retry at a later time. If that fails, co...

Removing mail recived confirmation message
how to remove a recived mail confirmation message to outside incoming e-mail ...

confirmation of delivery??
Hi I want confirmation that an email has been delivered/received. In the options I checked the box for delivery confirmation. I get an email back stating: Delivery to these recipients or distribution lists is complete, but delivery notification was not sent by the destination: does that mean it was delivered-- or is there a problem that occured? -- Thank-you! Ruth It means that the message has been delivered to the mailbox on the server successfully. The notification only stresses the fact that a delivery notification cannot confirm that the message also got delive...

mail delivery problems #2
Hi, Our email system has been working fine for about 12 months but now for what seems like no apparent reason we are having problems. The setup is exchange 2003. The problem is that mail has stopped flowing from certain BE servers to a FE\bridgehead server. Some BE servers are in different routing groups and one BE server is inside the same routing group as the FE server. There is nothing sitting between the servers other than routers. Mail sent to the Internet from a BE server in the same RG as the FE server stays in the Internet SMTP queue on the BE server. Until recently, these em...

auto delay delivery
I am have problems replying to emails from the USA. When i reply and send the mail it sits in the outbox because for some reason it has put an auto delay delivery time on it. It is very annoying, i have tried turning it off and all sorts of methods remove this delay. it seems to be mainly with emails that come from the states, anyone have any ideas... wold appreciate any help to get rid of this annoying setting <ian.s.morrison@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4a0b3a61-6723-4ca4-8af6-d3fb2019569e@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com... >I am have problems replying to emails from the USA. ...

Confirm Delete in a macro
In a macro that I am using, I need to delete a sheet. When I record the macro and then replay it, it brings up the confirmation dialog again. How can have the macro automatically confirm deletion of the sheet. Tim Sub test() Application.DisplayAlerts = False Sheets("Sheet1").Delete Application.DisplayAlerts = True End Sub -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "Tim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91B90638-1833-4D53-9440-6EC94D3D598E@microsoft.com... | In a macro that I am using, I need to delete a sheet. When I record the m...

How can I customize the Delivery Status Notification
I would like to customize the message sent when an SMTP message is delayed going through outbound SMTP. Where would I change the default text of this message: <MESSAGE> This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed. Blah@blah.com <END> What version of Exchange? Exchange Server 2007 makes customizable DSNs possible http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/E2k7Help/cc34fd2c-6af3-4034-b080-1f45f904226a.mspx ...

Option to Confirm Payee
In M08, where is the option to "confirm payee" before adding it to the list of payees? Thank you! In microsoft.public.money, Digital Boy wrote: >In M08, where is the option to "confirm payee" before adding it to the >list of payees? Tools->Settings->AccountSettings(global)->ConfirmNewPayees This only works for typed-in entries. On Jan 18, 11:49=A0pm, Cal Learner-- MVP <via_newsgr...@please.tnx> wrote: > In microsoft.public.money, Digital Boy wrote: > > >In M08, where is the option to "confirm payee" before adding it to th...

how turn off confirmation messaged for document deletions?
Thanks for all previous and future help.btw I got Access 2002 I have a macro for a button on a form, and it deletes and copies a few tables. Enough so that clicking OK for confirmation 3-4 times every time I run it is bothersome, for me, and probably the user also. I typed in: With Assistant .AssistWithAlerts = False End With But all that does is just cause the confirmation message to be by a plain box, not the cutesy-wutesy paperclip or whatever. I clicked on Help when it popped up next, and it says go to Tools>options>edit/find tab and click off document deletions. I went ...

Read Confirm
I am wanting to turn on the setting that requires a user to send a read confirm when one is requested, but also allow the user to decided if they want to request one. This will need to be done throughout the network. I have a group policy but it will not allow the user to make one decision and not the other. Any ideas? -Matt "Matt Burks" <none@yourbusiness.com> wrote in message news:%23eo9oAMDGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I am wanting to turn on the setting that requires a user to send a read >confirm when one is requested, but also allow the user to deci...