cant get outlook 2003 to run in windows 7

installed office 2003 standard (sp3) in windows 7 and get a trouble message
when launching. A popup box called configuring outlook comes up with the task
"migrating account settings" highlited. This is followed by the trouble
message  box called microsoft office outlook stating "unable to open your
default email folders. Outlook would not start  because a data file to send
and receive could not be found". I went back into the windows control
panel>user accounts>mail and verified a pop email exists but there no entries
under the data tab. I selected add (under data tab) and the only entry to
select from was "Business contact manager database" so I clicked add and got
the trouble message " windows shell common DLL stoped working". At this point
I don't know if 2003 is compatible in win 7(tried running outlook in the xp
compatable mode with no luck. I still have the old PC running and am able to
copy over a file if needed. From win 7 control panel mail ....I can add a
new profile and setup email accounts but when I try to add outlook data
files,, only one choice comes up called "busness contact manager database"
when I click add,, the trouble
message "windows shell common DLL stoped working. If i now go back to the
data file tab i see the business contact manager in there but it's status is
not available. One note, the PC came with a trial office installed which i
uninstalled. I have also uninstalled 2003 twice and run the repair on it with
no sucess

Solution to my problem:
Recently I purchased a custom built laptop with windows 7 installed. I
requested no other programs in the build. When my PC arrived it had a trial
version of office installed so I uninstalled it and installed my office 2003
with outlook and could not get outlook to work. The problem was caused by
files left behind when the office(trial version) was removed. The uninstall
does not remove all the office 2007 files. Certain files left behind are not
backward compatiable with office 2003. After spending a lot of time trying to
find a solution I was annoyed and contacted Lenovo to find out why they put
office 2007 trial version in my PC even though I requested no additional
software from them. They told me that my version of windows 7 has Office 2007
trial version bundled by microsoft with windows 7………. I anticipate as win 7
becomes more popular more people will have the same problem.

1. Remove the profile by going to control panel\mail\show profiles and
delete the profile.

2. Locate the file mapisvc.inf in C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\Msmapi\1033.

3. Rename it to mapisvc.old or whatever you want.

4. Remove MSMAPI32.DLL in the same folder.

5. go to win 7 install/uninstall programs and highlight the outlook program
and click on the repair button.
6. go into the control panel applet for mail and you should now be able to
add a outlook data file

7.Restart Outlook and go back through the setup to create the profile again
and that should fix.

"Tommcdow47" wrote:

> installed office 2003 standard (sp3) in windows 7 and get a trouble message
> when launching. A popup box called configuring outlook comes up with the task
> "migrating account settings" highlited. This is followed by the trouble
> message  box called microsoft office outlook stating "unable to open your
> default email folders. Outlook would not start  because a data file to send
> and receive could not be found". I went back into the windows control
> panel>user accounts>mail and verified a pop email exists but there no entries
> under the data tab. I selected add (under data tab) and the only entry to
> select from was "Business contact manager database" so I clicked add and got
> the trouble message " windows shell common DLL stoped working". At this point
> I don't know if 2003 is compatible in win 7(tried running outlook in the xp
> compatable mode with no luck. I still have the old PC running and am able to
> copy over a file if needed. From win 7 control panel mail ....I can add a
> new profile and setup email accounts but when I try to add outlook data
> files,, only one choice comes up called "busness contact manager database"
> when I click add,, the trouble
> message "windows shell common DLL stoped working. If i now go back to the
> data file tab i see the business contact manager in there but it's status is
> not available. One note, the PC came with a trial office installed which i
> uninstalled. I have also uninstalled 2003 twice and run the repair on it with
> no sucess

Wow - this is just fabulous - works a treat!! Thanks so much!! Your scenario
was exactly mine.

"Tommcdow47" wrote:

> [...]
> > select from was "Business contact manager database" so I clicked add and got
> > the trouble message " windows shell common DLL stoped working". At this point
> > I don't know if 2003 is compatible in win 7(tried running outlook in the xp
> > compatable mode with no luck. I still have the old PC running and am able to
> > copy over a file if needed. From win 7 control panel mail ....I can add a
> > new profile and setup email accounts but when I try to add outlook data
> > files,, only one choice comes up called "busness contact manager database"
> > when I click add,, the trouble
> > message "windows shell common DLL stoped working. If i now go back to the
> > data file tab i see the business contact manager in there but it's status is
> > not available. One note, the PC came with a trial office installed which i
> > uninstalled. I have also uninstalled 2003 twice and run the repair on it with

Exchange 2003 SBS And Outlook 2003
Hello We have the public folders in Exchange setup to except mail from the outside world, and what we are noticing that when mail is delivered to the folder it shows as a post. What we want is to make it act as an email, so when we reply to it we can reply to all of the original recipients. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh also one more question. When we add a new user to the exchange server, we can not add that acct to the persons outlook unless we restart the exchange services. Thanks In news:7A4E06F3-E6A7-485B-99DC-765F415A584C@microsoft.com, Exchange 2003 <Exchang...

Get control of a Userform by the Name
I want to change the text of a form. I know the name of the form and the name of the control in it. How to get the control of a form if I know the Name? Below post refers to adding a form. But I already have a form, just need the control of that! http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/browse_thread/thread/beedb666e1d7a29b/f2df993ded867dd4?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=form+by+name#f2df993ded867dd4 Thanks a lot in advance Regards' Joe If you are talking about a VBA user from in VBA window press F4 (View properties window) and click on the control....

Access2k3 Application works under XP, fails under Windows 2000
SCENARIO: Application originally developed in Access 97 several years ago. Worked with no problem until recent change from Novell to Active Directory. PROBLEM: Application was converted from Access 97 to Access 2003. It WORKS on machines running Windows XP It FAILS on machines running Windows 2000 as below: In the Form_Load event of one of the forms (which contains a number of subforms) the following lines appear: Forms![frmPartDetails]![fsubNHA_Details].Form.RecordSource = "qryPart_Details_frm_NHA" Forms![frmPartDetails]! [fsubEndUnit_Details].Form.Rec...

Migrate from POP3 to Exchange 2003
Our clients have decided to migrate from a POP3 with a pst using Outlook to Exchange 2003. How should I go about this...can their psts be ExMerged directly into the new Ex03 server or does this have to be done manually, client by client? Thanks! On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:37:31 -0700, "Heather" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Our clients have decided to migrate from a POP3 with a >pst using Outlook to Exchange 2003. > >How should I go about this...can their psts be ExMerged >directly into the new Ex03 server or does this have to be >don...

watching shared calender on outlook today
In my organization we share calenders through our exchange server. Is there any way to have someone else's calender displayed on my Outlook Today page? I have full rights to his mailbox. Tried the customize... page but found nothing useful there. any ideas? ...

Dynamics GP 10 on Windows 2000
We're about to try to upgrade from Great Plains 8.0 to 10.0. We have a Windows 2000 server with SQL 2000 where our existing GP 8.0 is installed. We ALSO have a Windows 2003 SBS... we're NOT using SQL on that machine... and don't want to. (Please save each of us a response, and don't ask me why...) Can we install the GP 10.0 server programs on the SBS 2003 server and point to the Windows 2000/SQL 2000 database server? Yes, you can install the 'Server' application on SBS 2003 or even an XPSP2 workstation. All you need are the SQL 2000 tools installed on the m...

Outlook 2003 junk mail filter
i have fallen in love with the Outlook 2003 junk mail filter. however i made the mistake of not turning it on for a long time. the result is that i have about 2,000 messages in my inbox most of which are junk. is there any way to have Outlook run the junk mail filter on what is already in my inbox? thanks, v. On 27 Apr 2004 15:49, vim@mainst.com (veronica madsen) wrote: >i have fallen in love with the Outlook 2003 junk mail filter. however >i made the mistake of not turning it on for a long time. the result is >that i have about 2,000 messages in my inbox most of which are jun...

Losing it
Here's the background: Under Page Setup: Layout is set as Booklet - Page Size 4.5"x11" - Portrait. Printer and Paper are set as Paer Size: Custom (4.5x11) and Source (Bypass Tray) Orientation - Portrait. I'm using a Konica Minolta C450 printer. It duplexes and folds. I can't figure out it it is the printer settings or the publisher settings that are off. Any suggestions would help as I have to fix this to mass print tomorrow. lmfkaty wrote: > Here's the background: > Under Page Setup: Layout is set as Booklet - Page Size 4.5"x11"...

Shared Outlook 2000 Address Book (without Exchange)
I've got approximately 50 users on a network and they all use Microsoft Outlook 2000 with independent PST files and are downloading their mail from a pop server. We are currently using Microsoft Mail for out Address Book. I'm looking to get rid of Microsoft Mail and use External Email for interoffice correspondence until I get an Exchange server installed. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could use for a Shared Address Book? I've looked into using LDAP for this but with Microsoft Outlook 2000 it will not show you a full listing by hitting the "To:" butto...

Cant delete any messages
Hi! My friend at work has a weird problem recently he can't delete any messages in Outlook Express the delete button doesn't work so does not the right mouse button menu delete option. When d&d the files theres a error that says "An error occurred" He works on a normal user account. Any ideas? Have your friend post in an Outlook Express newsgroup. Tell him/her to include the version of OE, the exact error message, and any other pertinent details. Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook are not the same e-mail client, nor are they related in spite of the similarity of ...

Windows Live Mail
I am unable to access Windows Live Mail since getting this message "The message store has been corrupted by an application external to Windows Live Mail. Windows Live Mail has been able to successfully recover from this corruption (0X00000000)". I have read messages on various sites which tell me this is a problem with some virus programs. I have uninstalled my virus program. Still could not access Windows Live Mail. I then uninstaled Windows live Mail and then re-installed it still unable to access Windows Live Mail. How do I resolve this problem and recover my mess...

Office Outlook 2003 SP2 pasting and hyperlinks
1) Previously, I could [Insert \ Hyperlink] and browse our company's shared drive to insert a link to a file within the body of the email. Now, when I [Insert \ Hyperlink] I get a different small hyperlink dialog box that has no "browse" option. Where did it go and/or how can I reset this? 2) Previously, I would [shift/edit/copy/as printed] on a selection within an Excel document which creates a picture and places it on the clipboard, and then I would go to Outlook and paste the image into the body of the email. This was very useful even though the image quality wasn't so ...

Price History Chart
The data is here in Price History, why can't Money chart it for me? Am I missing something? for Money 2004? The default chart only shows a fixed time. If you right click and add the chart to your favorites, you should be able to customize the date range. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially i...

Message size limit in Exchange 2003 doesn't seem to work properly
I noticed today that one of my users has a very large mailbox size (>300mb). On inspection I found that she had tried to send a message with an attachment of 132mb to one of her collegues. That obviously didn't work because of the default message size of 10 mb all our users are subjected to. Nonetheless Exchange stored the attachment twice, once in the sent items folder and once in the non delivery notice adding 264 mb to het mailbox! I have seen this on the production server, the test server does the same thing. Is this a bug, or have I missed something? Setting a message size limit ...

How to get the text from another window?
hi,all For example, In MSDN help program, there are many items in the left list box when you type whatever key word. Can I get these itmes' text in anohter program? I did a test, put a CListBox in a dialog and then , in another program, get the handle of this list box and use list.Attach(handle) , then you can get all text by the list. But in msdn help program, it is not a CListBox, how to do that? Is possible? Thanks What exactly do you mean by the MSDN list box? Are you talking about the part of the Index where the topics are listed? -- Alec S. alec <@> synetech &l...

Excel 2003 #4
Can anyone tell me what the max number of columns is within a single sheet in Excel 2003. I know with previous versions it has been 256. Thanks, -Dave The same. Lee ...

How to set up Agree/Disagree window?
At my school each pupil now has individual login username and password. Each time a PC is logged into I'd like to display the school IT policy, with two pushbuttons -"I agree" and "I disagree" - displayed at the bottom. If the user chooses "I disagree" the session ends and they are automatically logged out. How do I set one up? You'll need someone to write a program. This isn't something that's native to Windows XP. "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CAF9EE3-FA71-4750-ABF4-E0C...

Outlook for CRM purpose
Hi there, I wanted to know if I could use Outlook as a tool to offer customer support. I want to receive emails on one ID and then the same to be forwarded to some of the executives who would be responisble for replying to those emails. Regards, Arvind In CRM its possible to set up queues such as support@yourcompany.com and have emails from the outside fed into those queues however someone has to have responsibility for monitoring the queues and feeding the activities to an appropriate person "Arvind" <jasunder@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06df01c3713b$33859ef0$a...

outlook hangs #10
I have two computers where this is happening. On both, simply opening a message causes Outlook to hang. I have tried the following: compacting the pst file reinstalling outlook to its original state cleaning up temp files One of the computers uses a local message store. The other keeps its pst file on the network. Once Outlook hangs the only way to recover is to CTRL-ALT- DEL and shut down the program. ...

how do i get a signature from someone recieving an attachment
how do i get signature on an attachment from someone i sent it to mjc184 wrote: > how do i get signature on an attachment from someone i sent it to Get them to print it out, sign it, scan it and send it back. Or use snail mail. -- John Blessing http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails Do you mean a delivery receipt or a read receipt or do you mean something else? "mjc184" &...

Office 2003 Question: Auto Fill
Just purchased Office 2003; was running Office XP before that. I've noticed a significant drop in speed to drag and drop a cell with a formula (Auto Fill). What used to take seconds now takes more than a minute. Is there an option flag I can set to speed this up? Example: Col Col Col Row A B C 1 <formula> 2 3 .. .. .. 40000 If I want to auto fill the formula in cell C1 all the down to Cell C40000, this takes more than a minute where it used to take seconds. ...

set up outlook 2000- To receive/send internet mail
RE: HOME USE- NOTEBOOK How to set up the outlook 2000, i.e. pop3/smtp to receive and send email from my internet mail (....@yahoo.com) Please provide the step by step procedures to configure,i.e. the necessary fields and inforamtion that need to be entered in outlook 2000. I tried a few times, but seems it not working!!! My ISP is "STARHUB". YAHOO SERVER: pop3 ( pop.mail.yahoo.com smtp ( smtp.mail.yahoo.com) Thanks alot. Abideen Assuming you are using Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode, start here for instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...

cannot open outlook 2007 in Vista
when I try to open outlook 2007, a prompt saying that register VB ScriptDLL failed. Asked me to re-install or execute Regsvr32.exe Vbscript.dll to try register. I tried execute "Regsvr32.exe Vbscript.dll", then launch the outlook again. Same message prompt out again. I tried re-installed the outlook, still the same. I think it maybe the access right problem with Vista. Anyone can help suggest a solution to launch outlook from Vista ? Go to the Run item on the Start menu, and type: regsvr32 filename.ext Not regsvr32.exe. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: ht...

cant open file
I have windows vista and microsoft publisher 2007 did my website and now out of nowhere it says cant open file tried everything and is not happening What kind of file are you trying to open? What steps are you taking? What kind of error messages are you getting? Details are important. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "arleen" <arleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B264DC25-1072-4931-B44C-7F481A13DBEE@microsoft.com... >I have windows vista and microsoft publisher 2007 did my w...

Sync Microsoft Money Reminders to Outlook
Is it possible to synchronize the Microsoft Money Reminders (current version) with Microsoft Outlook and have those reminders populate automatically? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Thorin wrote: >Is it possible to synchronize the Microsoft Money Reminders (current version) >with Microsoft Outlook and have those reminders populate automatically? No, Money does not have that ability. ...