Cannot open a link sent to me in email

Hi
First time here. I cannot open any link sent to me in an email, whether it
is a URL, or a click here, or a picture button link. Using Outlook 2003 any
time I click on a link it just opens a box called Locate Link Browser and it
just shows all my folders. I don't know what this means. I cannot even open
any links from the help popups on the right side of the Outlook page.
Thanks for help
Phil

See this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
2/2/2010 8:03:59 PM
Hi. Thanks for post. I went to the link and I did the following to reset IE
as default:
"If you don't have Firefox installed, the steps are the same to fix the
problem. You can also try resetting Internet Explorer as the default. Look in
IE's Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab and click the Reset Web Options
button."

However, the solution steps 1 through 9 I could not do in Internet Explorer
(at least, not in version 6.0.2900) because there is no Folder Options under
tools.

Worst thing is that I seem to have reset my email from Outlook to Outlook
Express, because all I have is one message in the inbox and all other
messages are gone, and it's asking me to reset my POP3 server etc.
Things seem to be getting screwed up more. Now I have no email at all. Can
you help further please?
Thanks
Phil

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> "soccerman1958" <soccerman1958@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > First time here. I cannot open any link sent to me in an email, whether it
> > is a URL, or a click here, or a picture button link. Using Outlook 2003 any
> > time I click on a link it just opens a box called Locate Link Browser and it
> > just shows all my folders. I don't know what this means. I cannot even open
> > any links from the help popups on the right side of the Outlook page.
>
> See this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
> .

Hi
Regarding my second post, I have been able to switch back to Outlook as my
email, but when I try to open it, it asks me to create a profile. If I cancel
out of that it tells me the server is not available. I have no idea what to
do; can someone help please?

"soccerman1958" wrote:

> Hi. Thanks for post. I went to the link and I did the following to reset IE
> as default:
> "If you don't have Firefox installed, the steps are the same to fix the
> problem. You can also try resetting Internet Explorer as the default. Look in
> IE's Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab and click the Reset Web Options
> button."
>
> However, the solution steps 1 through 9 I could not do in Internet Explorer
> (at least, not in version 6.0.2900) because there is no Folder Options under
> tools.
>
> Worst thing is that I seem to have reset my email from Outlook to Outlook
> Express, because all I have is one message in the inbox and all other
> messages are gone, and it's asking me to reset my POP3 server etc.
> Things seem to be getting screwed up more. Now I have no email at all. Can
> you help further please?
> Thanks
> Phil
>
> "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > "soccerman1958" <soccerman1958@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > First time here. I cannot open any link sent to me in an email, whether it
> > > is a URL, or a click here, or a picture button link. Using Outlook 2003 any
> > > time I click on a link it just opens a box called Locate Link Browser and it
> > > just shows all my folders. I don't know what this means. I cannot even open
> > > any links from the help popups on the right side of the Outlook page.
> >
> > See this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm
> > --
> > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
> >
> > .

OK. I have now sorted some of it out but not all. I realized that the
instructions Brian sent me to should have been done from My Computer in XP
(not Internet Explorer!!) so I followed the steps 1 through 9 from there
except at step 9 I could only find an entry that said "HyperText Transfer
Protocol with Privacy" nothing about  "and FTP."
Also, in the HTTP edit file type window, the application used to perform
action box reads the following: "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome %1 and this may or may not be correct. The DDE
message field is always empty.
Also the Use DDE check box keeps checking itself after I delete it. I notice
that after making any changes, the Apply box is always grayed out, so all I
can do is OK, OK.

The big problem now is that I called my ISP and the guy said that instead of
a POP3 server, the business with looking for a profile when I try to open
Outlook means that it is looking for an IMAP server, as if I were connected
to a company mail server. He said he could not help me further when I asked
if he could reset the POP3 info; he said it was now a problem with the
software (Outlook 2003 on XP) and I should come back here for help. Please. I
can't be without my emails.

"soccerman1958" wrote:

> Hi
> Regarding my second post, I have been able to switch back to Outlook as my
> email, but when I try to open it, it asks me to create a profile. If I cancel
> out of that it tells me the server is not available. I have no idea what to
> do; can someone help please?
>
> "soccerman1958" wrote:
>
> > Hi. Thanks for post. I went to the link and I did the following to reset IE
> > as default:
> > "If you don't have Firefox installed, the steps are the same to fix the
> > problem. You can also try resetting Internet Explorer as the default. Look in
> > IE's Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab and click the Reset Web Options
> > button."
> >
> > However, the solution steps 1 through 9 I could not do in Internet Explorer
> > (at least, not in version 6.0.2900) because there is no Folder Options under
> > tools.
> >
> > Worst thing is that I seem to have reset my email from Outlook to Outlook
> > Express, because all I have is one message in the inbox and all other
> > messages are gone, and it's asking me to reset my POP3 server etc.
> > Things seem to be getting screwed up more. Now I have no email at all. Can
> > you help further please?
> > Thanks
> > Phil
> >
> > "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > "soccerman1958" <soccerman1958@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > See this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm
> > > --
> > > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
> > >
> > > .

Because this thread has now changed to an apparent software issue with
outlook, and because I have made so many entries here correcting things, I
thought it better to close this thread (after doing some of the things
suggested in Brian's link) and open another more germane to the current
issue. Thanks.

"soccerman1958" wrote:

> Hi
> Regarding my second post, I have been able to switch back to Outlook as my
> email, but when I try to open it, it asks me to create a profile. If I cancel
> out of that it tells me the server is not available. I have no idea what to
> do; can someone help please?
>
> "soccerman1958" wrote:
>
> > Hi. Thanks for post. I went to the link and I did the following to reset IE
> > as default:
> > "If you don't have Firefox installed, the steps are the same to fix the
> > problem. You can also try resetting Internet Explorer as the default. Look in
> > IE's Tools, Internet Options, Programs tab and click the Reset Web Options
> > button."
> >
> > However, the solution steps 1 through 9 I could not do in Internet Explorer
> > (at least, not in version 6.0.2900) because there is no Folder Options under
> > tools.
> >
> > Worst thing is that I seem to have reset my email from Outlook to Outlook
> > Express, because all I have is one message in the inbox and all other
> > messages are gone, and it's asking me to reset my POP3 server etc.
> > Things seem to be getting screwed up more. Now I have no email at all. Can
> > you help further please?
> > Thanks
> > Phil
> >
> > "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > "soccerman1958" <soccerman1958@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > See this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm
> > > --
> > > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
> > >
> > > .

symbolic link not working via share ?
I have a shared folder on a win2008 server, which has several folders and files which are read for domain users, and also a symbolic link to another folder on the same drive which has again read permission for domain users. However when I access the share and navigate down to the symbolic link and click on that folder I get various error messages. On a server 2003 and an xp machine I get "\\server2008\folder\link is not accessible......cannot find message number 0x in the message file for \\server2008\folder\link". I guess this is because xp/2003 does not understand s...

How can I apply the same text box properties to a linked set
I have a book which was imported into publisher from word. First let me compliment the design team on the capabilities of the import for both text and styles. I'm happy with what I have--mostly. Now for the problems. Once I got the appropriate fonts installed (the original came from a different machine) and then re-imported styles from the original document to refresh the fonts, the new publication started to look a lot like the original. However the text boxes came in at a different size than the original. I laid out the new publication with my desired page setup - 1/2 letter book...

Autosave & send word doc by email
I am using MS Word 2007. I create a form using developer control. I want to add in a 'button' for my participants to click so that the document will be automatically save and attached as a doc in a email software (such as outlook or gmail). How can I do this? You may want to ask this in a programming newsgroup such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general (in the Microsoft web interface you'll find this group at http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.vba.general&lang=en&cr=US). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP ...

Send mail to secondary email address
Hello, Is it possible to send an email to the secondary email address of a CRM contact? If a customer wants a email from us to his business and private mail address, we do not want to create two contacts for that. Instead we would like to enter the private as secondary email address (3 mail fields are available out of the box) and put that in the CC. The problem is, that the mailaddres is "parsed" to the contact, so the mail gets to the primary again. Is there a way to force CRM to send to the primary and cc to the secondary (or even ONLY to the secondary?) What else would the se...

Linked Server Hanging
Hi, I'm having a problem with an Oracle linked server that I'm attempting to connect to from SQL Server 2008 (64-bit Windows 2008). When attempting to use the linked server or even right-click it in SSMS and select 'Test Connection', SQL Server hangs completely and it requires a restart of the physical server that SQL Server is hosted on to bring it back. Some strange things though: A linked server to the same Oracle database with the same connection details and attributes works correctly through a Java application interface (using JDBC). A linked server to the...

Junk Email
I've noticed that our exchange server receives spam email for users that do not exist within our company ie. dave@domain.com. Is there any filter I can apply in exchange that will automatically delete emails that are sent to users that do not exist? Thanks Simon Microsoft provides the IMF Intelligent Massage Filter for Exchange 2003. This filter learns gradually about spam and performs actions described by the admin. for prior exchange versions try third party softwares like 1.Brightmail(www.brightmail.com) 2.SpamMarshall(www.spammarshall.com) These products are anti-spams and filter...

Delete emails in autocomplete
How do I delete emails which continue to show up in the autocomplete in outlook 2003? Posted here almost daily. Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of the field. To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Grumpy" <jbanton@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:9B7F7C07-A290-4...

email attachments 12-02-04
I'm unable to attach in photos, orshare any using msn9, but can open explorer and do that from there. It says its been blocked. How do I unblock this. I have to stop and open IE to send anyphotos what so ever. ...

Blackberry Internet Email & Exch 2007
Greets... Have some Blackberrys that were using BB Internet Email connection. Worked fine with Exch. 2003. Now we upgraded to Exch. 2007 and Blackbery Internet Connection (via T-Mobile) gives us "Cannot connect to server". I think this is related to the old method of accessing via web: i.e. HTTPS:\\mail.company.com\exchange\username doesn't work the same under 2007. I've tried Https:\\mail.company.com\owa\username and that doesn't work either... Thanks, Cheesle Check out this link: http://www.blackberry.com/select/exchange2007/ cheers, Guga Varo Exchange Gr...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

linking data #2
I need to fill a table on one sheet with data from another sheet. The data is the sum of totals from a range of sub-tables. What I require is a function that will sequentially fill a colum on one sheet by gathering every 15th value from the data column on another sheet. Thanks This will pick up A1, A16, A31, A46, ... =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,(ROW()-1)*15+1) Dragged down. But this would seem pretty dangerous to me. If you insert/delete rows, won't everything go south pretty fast? Since you're working with subtotals, maybe using data|pivottable would be better. If you want to read mor...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Sent Items appearing in Inbox
Every once in a while, when I reply to an email, there is an alert at the top of my email saying: "This message will be moved to the inbox after it is sent" Then when I send it, instead of going to the Sent Items folder, it goes to my inbox. It doesn't do it all the time and I can't figure out what is special about the messages that it does do it to! I had found a message talking about checking in the IMAP settings, but I couldn't find where that was, and we aren't using IMAP, we're using POP3. Please help! Holley Mac OSX 10.4.5 Entourage v. 11.2.5 Well, ...

Need an open house sign in sheet

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Update Link Tables from Excel
I recently got an update from Office 97 to Office 2003. We're just slightly behind the times. Anyway, I had an access database in 97 that would link to an Excel file that I would use to add data to the Excel file based upon information in a master table in Access. Now when I try to run the query in Access 2003, it gives me an error that it is not an updateable query. I suppose I could export the master data to an Excel spreadsheet and use a VLookup function, copy and paste to all the records that need to be updated and the copy and paste values, but I originally did...