Can't restore .pst files in Outlook 2007/Windows XP

Help!  My hard drive crashed last week and I have had another installed.  I
had backed up all my data on my clickfree automatic backup and have managed
to restore my pictures and documents, but am having problems doing so with my
e-mails and address book.  I have the .pst files on my PC but can't access
them because I get an error message when I try to open them saying "You are
attempting to open a file of type Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders
(.pst)  These fles are used by the operating system and by various
programmes.  Editing or modifying them could damage your system.  If you
still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise, click Cancel"  I
have tried "Open With" to no avail.  I have been unable,therefore, to
transfer them to Outlook.  I've tried File\Open\Outlook Data File but nothing
happens.  I have found "Backup and Restore, How to Outlook on the Microsoft
site but can't make head nor tail of it.  I am a rookie and need a blow by
blow account of what to do.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks.

Nina

Posted & answered on another forum

"Nina" <Nina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help!  My hard drive crashed last week and I have had another installed.
> had backed up all my data on my clickfree automatic backup and have
> managed
> to restore my pictures and documents, but am having problems doing so with
> my
> e-mails and address book.  I have the .pst files on my PC but can't access
> them because I get an error message when I try to open them saying "You
> are
> attempting to open a file of type Microsoft Office Outlook Personal
> Folders
> (.pst)  These fles are used by the operating system and by various
> programmes.  Editing or modifying them could damage your system.  If you
> still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise, click Cancel"  I
> have tried "Open With" to no avail.  I have been unable,therefore, to
> transfer them to Outlook.  I've tried File\Open\Outlook Data File but
> nothing
> happens.  I have found "Backup and Restore, How to Outlook on the
> Microsoft
> site but can't make head nor tail of it.  I am a rookie and need a blow by
> blow account of what to do.
>
> Can anyone please help me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nina

0
DL
2/13/2010 6:26:36 PM
"Nina" <Nina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Help!  My hard drive crashed last week and I have had another installed.

No need to post more than once.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Sending Outlook email from Access
Hi, I'm using the function below to generate an Outlook email with multiple attachments from an Access form's code. It works great, but it generates the following message before opening Outlook: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" (there's a check box you have to check, then a dropdown that allows you to select a duration for allowing it). Access I know pretty well, but I don't know Outlook at all. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this message box (my users won't want to be bothere...

Use of Outlook as sales contact and prospecting database similar to ACT
We have used ACT and would like to use Outlook in the same fashion as Outlook is the standard for our company. Is there an addon or program that sets Outlook up to mimic the features of ACT? The next release of outlook or outlook 2003 gives you some of the features of a tool like act "Tom Brink" <tbrink@clarian.org> wrote in message news:113e701c383a0$d84914e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > We have used ACT and would like to use Outlook in the same > fashion as Outlook is the standard for our company. Is > there an addon or program that sets Outlook up to mimic > t...

pst backup
If there is a way to automate pst file backup and log the successfull completion of the backup (maybe by sending an E-mail to administrator) Microsoft add on just remind about the backup and you have to manually click the button to start the backup. Some people recommend to use xcopy. I have a feeling that at some point I will get access violation (even though when Outlook is closed) Thank you You should be able to set the interval, using the addin, and automate the process. Or; http://www.handybackup.com/index.html http://www.avantrix.com/ David "ot" <ottdt@yahoo.com> ...

Access XP and CHM Help Files
Hi I have just started creating a CHM file and associating it with the various forms, controls etc. by using context and helpfile properties. Problem is that when the file is opened from Access, all the search functionality looks towards Access help and not my help file. The contents/help structure displays OK but any keywords etc. don't get picked up in searches. Is there a solution to this limitation (seems pretty stupid to not be able to search the application specific help just coz the file was called via object properties in an Access frontend) that doesn't involve me hav...

Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail FIlter
Set your Junk E-Mail Filter to HIGH and it will capture 90 - 95% of your junk email. I was using IHATESPAM program and the built-in Junk Filter in Outlook 2003 is far superior. It really works great!! ...

Corrupted file
I lost all my data from my hard drive but have managed to recover most of it. One of the Excel files is reported as corrupted by Excel when I try to open it. The file was created and last with Office 2000 but I have now got Office XP 2002 installed. Is there a way of 'un-corrupting' this file? Sometimes xl2002 will open files that previous versions couldn't. (and sometimes it can't open them either!) OpenOffice may be able to open it, too. (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD) Lots of people have reported good luck with it. But who knows with any sp...

slow outlook
Apologies if this has been posted recently - I did look!I am running Outlook 2002 on Windows XP Pro and on loading, And in general, performance it seems dreadfully slow. Could anyone offer ideas as to how to improve performance, please? My machine has plenty of RAM and a decent enough processor - 1.4GHZ so i am perplexed as to why it is dragging along sooooo slowly. Many thanks in advance. There are so many variables, it would be impossible to go through them all here. Here is a few: How much AVAILABLE ram do you have. Look in Task Manager. Click on Performance. Look at graph, and memor...

Sending picture/bmap files through LoNo
Hi I have a problem using VBA to send a bitmap (picture would do) in an email (Lotus Notes). I have code that does this: Dim bodytext As Object Range("A1:L36").Select Selection.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlBitmap bodytext = ActiveSheet.Paste later on... MailDoc.body = bodytext But the email does not paste the picture, instead it is just blank? Can anyone help me? David ...

Excel docs won't open from clicking file
I have a strange issue us Excel 2002. When I double-click on an excel document it only open the excel program and not the doc. I can then go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc. Excel seems to be OK other than this strange issue. Word and the other office programs don't do this at all??? I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their associated open commands etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks- Hi Have a look at Tools/Option/General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications' if it's checked. Andy. "jayman" ...

Outlook 2007 opening multiple times
Hi I am using Windows 7 and Outlook 2007. When I used to use Vista and Outlook 2007 I could open outlook, minimise it and then click the Outlook icon in my taskbar (or click the icon that appears in the system tray) and it would maximise a minimised outlook. Now, on Windows 7, I find the taskbar icon opens another instance of outlook - identical to the previously minimised one. It will do this over and over creating any number of identical outlooks and in order to close outlook before I shut down, I have to close each and every outlook instance individually! How can I ...

Outlook OST file
Hello: I need assistance on importing or extracting the data from an ost file. Does anyone know how to convert or extract the data from an ost file to something I can manipulate or view my data? Thanks, Shawn There used to be a tool called OST2PST.EXE that would export Offline Storage (OST) files into Personal Storage (PST) format. I believe this has now become "Exchange Recovery". Try going to www.google.com and searching for OST2PST for information. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01da01...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

outlook 2002 config problem
new to outlook. set up 2 accounts and when i hit send to send a msg out, dialog box comes up asking for my pw which i input into the set up of the account. after i type in the pw, it comes back and continues to ask for it again and again. when i go into the account set up page, the pw window is blank. it keeps going away. it appears that the msg is sent. so how can i make the pw request window not appear? For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q290684 For Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000: (CW) http://support.microsoft....

Unable to move my file to a new computer
I recently installed 2005 deluxe, and 2 weeks later purchased a new computer and I am unable to transfer the file to my new computer. I have tried to copy the .mny file the backup file to my new computer but am unable to to have money open it after I put my password in. It says it is either write protected (which I do not believe it is),or other types of errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spent a lot of time on this issue. Tom Third time in twenty minutes. What was Microsoft thinking? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177. It should help. "TD" <...

Importing a PST File #2
Further to my previous Posts. 1. I have backed up the outlook.pst file to CD using NERO 2. I have restored the outlook.pst file to a seperate folder 3. I have checked the file attribute and made sure the archive bit is off 4. I have run the scanpst program over the outlook.pst file. SCANPST came up with a large number of errors (I have the file). An example is: !!PMap page @6112768: PTYPE mismatch (read 00, expected 83) !!PMap page @6112768: BID mismatch (read 0, expected 5D4600) When I open or import the outlook.pst file, there are 2 empty folders... recovered and deleted. Any s...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

File In Use
When I open an Excel 2003 workbook I sometimes get a dialog box that says "File In Use - filename.xls is locked for editing by "user". Even though no one on the network has it open. I have to log off and log back in to get the file to open. Any ideas why this happens? Thanks. Sometimes cleaning up your temp folder will help. Excel puts some files there when you open a workbook. If excel (or windows) crashes, these files aren't cleaned up. And with some operating systems, you can do alt-ctrl-delete and view the tasks that are running. If you have a hidden instance ...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Not able to open .pst file in Outlook 2007
Hi, I am trying to open Outlook 2003 .pst file in Office 2007. However, it is giving me this error: Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using. Pls help. ________________________________________ " If you think you can, and if you think you can't, then you are right"- Henry ford How are you trying to open the PST file? Run Outlook 2007 then use File | Open ..... -- Bill R MVP "Shilps" <shilpi_sri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FBE11110-4F8A-4926-9020-F222ADAEDD63@microsoft.com... &...

CRM appointments in Outlook
making an appointment in CRM I want to see this appointment in my Outook Schedule. Houw tot do so? -- Rosemarijn ...

Can't open files on more than one computer
I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but when I tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time I received a error message. The error was telling me that the file was in use by another computer and would not open. I thought that was the reason I created the template file in the first place but I Guess I was wrong. Having told the children that we were going to make a Christmas card I needed to come up with a solution to this problem so I saved the card on a disk and went around the room and opened the file and to save time I made three copy’s o...

Bringing up Old Files in Excel 2003
Hi: I just installed Office 2003. I tried to bring up an old file and it will not come up. It gives me a message about it having a virus (which it does not have). How can I get the old file to come up? Thanks Is the message you get more like "this workbook contains macros, which could contain viruses" or similar? You don't say which version of Excel files are "old", but you may have been running Excel97 with "macro checking" turned off or 2000 with macro security at "low". Tools>Options>Security. Check your settings. Turn to "low...

Print Visio file without having Visio installed
How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio installed? I want to allow others to print the file without reduced quality. When printing to pdf-format, the quality degrades and when inserting into Word I can't get the background page to show. have you considered HTML (they could use the browser) or the Visio Viewer? Al "Pete" <Pete@nomail.com> wrote in message news:dAbKb.52$jR.50@news.get2net.dk... > How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio > installed? > > I want to allow others to print the file witho...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...