Backing up the PST file(s)

I recently began using Outlook 2003 on a new Windows 7 Home Premium
Computer.  I successfully imported my emails and contacts from an
older Windows XP computer.

I want to have my Outlook data store =96 the .PST file set up for
automatic backup using the =93Second Copy=94 program.  I want to tell the
backup program which file(s) and where.

On the Mail page of Outlook, I used the click sequence

Rt Click Personal Folders
Properties

The resulting file name is:
C:\Users\PT\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

But in c:\Users\PT\MyDocuments, there=92s another file, PT.PST
I never created this file.  The name =93PT=94 is the Windows 7 name of my
computer, and seems to have been picked up automatically.

The two files have the same date and time stamp, but are not identical
size.  In particular, the first file is ~61KB, and the second is ~81
KB.

So, my questions are:
Why two files?
Why the different size?
Which should be backed up?
0
PT

Impossible to say since we have no idea how you created and configured your
Outlook profile nor how you migrated your data, other than you did so
incorrectly. You never import Outlook data.
Obviously you would backup the file that Outlook is using.
--
Russ Valentine
"PT" <inconnu3939@gmail.com> wrote in message
I recently began using Outlook 2003 on a new Windows 7 Home Premium
Computer.  I successfully imported my emails and contacts from an
older Windows XP computer.

I want to have my Outlook data store � the .PST file set up for
automatic backup using the �Second Copy� program.  I want to tell the
backup program which file(s) and where.

On the Mail page of Outlook, I used the click sequence

Rt Click Personal Folders
Properties

The resulting file name is:
C:\Users\PT\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

But in c:\Users\PT\MyDocuments, there�s another file, PT.PST
I never created this file.  The name �PT� is the Windows 7 name of my
computer, and seems to have been picked up automatically.

The two files have the same date and time stamp, but are not identical
size.  In particular, the first file is ~61KB, and the second is ~81
KB.

So, my questions are:
Why two files?
Why the different size?
Which should be backed up?

0
Russ

Problem when opening Excel 2003 file
How come when I open a file in Excel nothing appears? Yet the same file will open correctly on other peoples computers. Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel 1. Close Excel first and 2. On the Windows Taskbar 2.1 Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2.2 Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Bruce Weinstein wrote: > How come when I open a file...

Insert Large File with pure TSQL?
I have a table with an ID column and an XML column. I wuld like to put a 6mb XML file on-disk into the table, using SSMS (not ADO.NET or anything else outside of management studio). This is for some one-off testing stuff, so quick-n-dirty is all I need. Any suggesions? Thanks. SnapDive (SnapDive@community.nospam) writes: > I have a table with an ID column and an XML column. I wuld like to put > a 6mb XML file on-disk into the table, using SSMS (not ADO.NET or > anything else outside of management studio). This is for some one-off > testing stuff, so quick-n-dirty is...

Get pointer to parent of parent (2 levels back)
My application is dialog-based. The App creates a dialog. The dialog creates a property sheet. The property sheet creates 4 property pages. The dialog opens a file. I want the property pages to be able to write to the file. How can I get access back to that file pointer? I found m_pParentWnd in the Property Page. But, I can't go back like this m_pParentWnd->m_pParentWnd to get two levels back. I thought about passing the pointer to the CFile in via the contructors of the dialog, then to the sheet, then to the pages but I am not sure how to do that either. Any help is greatly app...

restrict PST for Outlook 2003
I have read some article regarding registry PSTDisableGrow, which will let users add existing PST to OL2003 but won't let them create new PST or add more content to the existing PST. Our Outlook 2003 are at SP2. I guess it should support the registry. Does MS office have a ADM I can add to GPO? Or I have to create one myself? Or someone has already create one so I can copy? Thanks. I don't think this option is in the Office policy templates but you can indeed either create it yourself or simply deploy the registry key by other means such as a logon script. ...

how to overcome excel file limitaions (65,000) records only?
when download large data to an excel file, it can accomodate only (65,000) records only, so how i can change this limitaions to have more entriy? I'm afraid that you can't - at least not without using VB to split the file across multiple worksheets. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but that's the way Excel is designed. Have you thought of using Access instead of Excel? There's no such limitation there. Alan P. "touresaa" <touresaa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2EE7381C-667A-462F-A562-7D214A26BC61@microsoft.com... > wh...

Getting HTML back out of XML
I'm having a hell of a time figuring this out. ;o) OK, thanks to Oleg, I finally figured out how to get XHTML in my XML by using writeRaw to get it to not encode the XHTML going in. However, I can't get it back out. I'm transforming my XML using XSLT: Dim trasformedXML As New System.IO.StringWriter xslt.Transform(doc, Nothing, trasformedXML, Nothing) lbl_rulesText.Text = trasformedXML.ToString The element that also has XHTML in it is transformed SANS the HTML tags. <xsl:value-of select="text" /> That's returning the text of the node, but none of the HTML ...

Can a .dll file be included in a ActiveX controller in a HTML page and be registered automatically after being downloaded?
Can a .dll file be included in a ActiveX controller in a HTML page and be registered automatically after being downloaded? I've made a RealTime Communication program. It use a rtcdll.dll. I made this program in the format of ActiveX controller and put it in a HTML page. But the ActiveX controller can't run on a machine without registered rtcdll.dll. How can I integrate the rtcdll.dll with the ActiveX controller so that it can be downloaded with the ActiveX controller and be registered in web browsers' computer automatically? Another way is to make a CAB? Where can I get tools ...

Backing up Notes in Outlook
I found the toy that transfers Notes in Outlook to OneNote. Is there any other way to back up one's notes other than making a backup of the outlook.pst file? thank you for any help or suggestions Jerry "jer&liz" <jerliz@home> wrote in message news:eQBTNYi8HHA.5404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I found the toy that transfers Notes in Outlook to OneNote. Is there any >other way to back up one's notes other than making a backup of the >outlook.pst file? No, not unless you're using an Exchange Server. Well, you could manually copy the notes to a diff...

How to get BCC line back into my email as a default
I have just reinstalled my O/S (2000 Pro) and lost a lot of my settings. I can't find out how to get the BCC line back into my email format and I would like that set as the default for all my email correspondence. Also am unsure how to put a VCard signature into my email - had it all set up before, but can't remember how I did it. Thanks! MuckyBeast <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have just reinstalled my O/S (2000 Pro) and lost a lot > of my settings. I can't find out how to get the BCC line > back into my email format and I would like tha...

Messages not reaching recipients or bouncing back
1 user has found this week that all mail she has sent have simply disappeared! Emails sent to a variety of destination email addresses - no bouncebacks, but none have been received. We investigated & found this to be true. Test messages are definitely leaving our server, and at least arriving at the mail server that we forward to (though they have not been able to confirm that they have left that server). This is what we've tried so far:- 1) We virus-checked the user's PC - none found - virus definitions up to date & we have good firewall + rules to prevent users rec...

how to know the offset of title in text file
Dear All: here ,I have a text file. In my text file,have some paragraph and each paragraph has a Title. Question: How Can I know what each paragraph's offset and is in the text file and length is . It is appreciated for someone answer! You have to know what defines a paragraph. If it is a special character, you can parse the file looking for said character. "terrcy" <terrcy@cn-finet.com> wrote in message news:OAq5oz2KEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Dear All: > > here ,I have a text file. In my text file,have some paragraph and each > paragraph has a...

Account's Open Opportunities Also Get Re-Assigned
Is there a way to prevent open opportunities from being re-assigned after changing the account's owner? There is a constant account owner shuffle in my organization and it is tedious to rollback the opportunity re-assignment done automatically by re-assignment of accounts. We are using MS CRM v3.0 and at a minimum the system should ask the user whether he/she would like to also re-assign open opportunities. On May 17, 1:08=A0pm, Maleke Turat <MalekeTu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to prevent open opportunities from being re-assigned after > chang...

Printing a Picture File on a Document
Is there a way to use a "print when" kind of statement to print a picture file on a document? I don't get what you want to do. Can you rephrase that? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "OdieLR" <OdieLR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DCC24AD-E0B4-4DE2-84DF-D2A429A386C5@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to use a "print when" kind of statement to print a picture > file on a document? ...

Access to Money file from laptop & desktop not working anymore
I had Money 2005 Premium and it allowed me to synchronize/access my Money file from my laptop when I was travelling and through my desktop when I was at home. A message popped up in Money 05 that says my 2 years of online access was over and that I needed to upgrade to continue synchronizing/sharing file access. So I purchase Money Plus Premium and installed it on both computers. Now I am not able to "share" the info between laptop & desktop. I also noticed that Money Plus it is not synchonizing anymore after I close Money program like it use to with Money 05. The only re...

back up restore
Hi- I have made back up, how do i restore (rms1.2)? thanks in SO Administrator, Database/Create This creates a new DB instance from your backup file. You will either have to choose a different DB name than the existing database, or DROP the database by using Query/New first. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information "bh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>...

outlook and organizing files/emails
Hi, I have about 20,000 emails of which about 1% of them have attached word, excel, jpeg, pdf, powerpoint files. The emails are located in about 1000 folders. The hierachy of folders is maximum of 5 deep starting at the INBOX. So.... the problem is that Outlook is running too slow now and I have to figure out how I can organize these messages into some form of system. I have tried using CRM software but its much to cumbersome and slow to use CRM software, secondly the software packages don't allow me to create folders in the notes/history files or to catagorize my emails in the way i ...

Handling files in Outlook 2003/2007 profiles
I have saved my .pst files for multiple Outlook 2003 profiles under XP. I have set up associated profiles in Outlook 2007 under Vista. Of course, the 2007 profiles are now using "ghost' .pst file, such as Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst, etc. I have been told that if I ". . . want to change the data file that a profile is using, you must open that file in Outlook, set that file as the default, restart Outlook, then close the original PST file. . ." Unfortunately, I do not find the procedure in Outlook to set a file to "default" or to "close" a file. I would ap...

Outlook Data files???
When I click on File-> Open-> Outlook Data File..., there are no files shown. Shouldn't there be a/some pst files here? It depends on whether you have created .pst files in the default location or some other location. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Jackson asked: | When I click on File-> Open-> Outlook Data File..., there are no fi...

backing up to cd #3
I'm trying to back-up my Microsoft Money file to a CD. However whenever I try it I get the message "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission." (I am the owner). I am using Money 98. PLEASE HELP! I don't wan't to lose this information when I plug in my new upgraded computer, so I have to save the file. Terri. In microsoft.public.money, Terri Benshoof wrote: >I'm trying to back-up my Microsoft Money file to a CD. >However whenever I try it I get the message "You ...

Help files...
Hi guys, Has anyone seen a good tutorials on making help files in VS2003? HTML is perfered. AliR. "AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:44ef41a2$0$15172$a8266bb1@reader.corenews.com... > Hi guys, > > Has anyone seen a good tutorials on making help files in VS2003? HTML is > perfered. > Can you download a trial copy of RoboHelp or some other help tool? I use ForeHelp, but they went out of business several years ago. -- David Thanks David, I'll look into RoboHelp. Just to clarify I was looking for a tutorial on using the VStudio Help ...

SBS4.5 crashed a while back!!
We have been asked to get involved with retrieving some emails from a EDB backup. The situation is: Server was SBS4.5 running Exchange 5.5. We have the PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB, but we do not know what the site, organisation names etc. were. Are there any tools that can extract this information for us - we are hoping (and praying!!) to be able to install Exchange 5.5. with the correct details and then restore the EDB files and do a isinteg -patch and see if that gets us going. Any advice greatly appreciated. There are a few pre-requists here. Org name, Site name and Service pack level for...

file path
hi, i have an application that browses to look up file. so after i browse and read the file i need to come back to my original project path . Could you tell me how do i get the initial project path and then again after browsing for the file set the variable back again to my original path of application. (Also which variable takes care of it .. if its there is one) Thanks in advance ... chintanpsanghvi@gmail.com wrote: > hi, > i have an application that browses to look up file. so after i browse > and read the file i need to come back to my original project path . > Could you tel...

Write to a CSV file
Hi!! I use this: Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set f = fs.OpenTextFile("test.csv", 8) f.Writeline Report_lageroversigt.nr.value & ";" & Report_lageroversigt.Navn.value & ";" & Report_lageroversigt.Sum_Of_antal.value f.Close Its work fine in a text file, but when i write to a csv file and open this file en excel then the first row (1) is empty why? What exactly do you mean by "work fine in a text file"? Are you saying that when you open the file in Notepad, there's no...

Backing up Contacts
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_02AC_01CAFAC7.03F51630 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I am able to back up all my e-mails and settings except my Contacts, which has all my friends and family e-mail address. Can anyone tell me how to back up my contacts in Outlook 2003? I would appreciate it if you could CC my e-mail address as well as the newsgroups. Thank You. ______________ David C. Stevens 14 Broadview Avenue Berlin, New Jersey 08009-1618 E-Mail : dcms61@verizon.net and/o...

SAVE FILE
I have developed a file with a macro which is protected by a password. A "Save" button with the assigned macro calls the procedure in the macro and when I am trying to save a file the following message appears "You cannot save this file format when the VBA Project is protected You may unprotect the VBA Project by......" What do you suggest I do to save a file with a protected macro? The macro must be protected, it is very important for me not to allow access to the macro in totallity. I am using certain cells' information to name the file My code lo...