archive.pst and outlook.pst

Hello,
Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps?
The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then
reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep my
emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them?
Tks in advance
Pedro

That is correct.

Pedro wrote:
> Hello,
> Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps?
> The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then
> reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep my
> emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them?
> Tks in advance
> Pedro

0
Bob
11/18/2009 4:18:05 PM
That is correct. Here is excellent advice on how to back up and restore:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

"Pedro" <Pedro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps?
> The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then
> reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep
my
> emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them?
> Tks in advance
> Pedro

0
Kathleen
11/18/2009 4:33:30 PM
Thank you very much Bob and thank you very much Kathleen. Very good tip.
Regards
Pedro

"Kathleen Orland" wrote:

> That is correct. Here is excellent advice on how to back up and restore:
>
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
>

> "Pedro" <Pedro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps?
> > The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then
> > reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep
> my
> > emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them?
> > Tks in advance
> > Pedro
>

> .

The location of the .pst-file!?!
Hi, I have noticed that Outlook's .pst-file by default is located in the 'Local Settings' part of the profile. What is the idea here? We are using roaming profiles partially because we can use a central backup system on all our users' profiles, but since this part of the profile isn't copied down to the server, there will be no backup of the .pst-file :-( I find it kind of risky to not have this file backuped... What does Microsofts suggest to do here? Regards, /LS Lennart Svenssson <lensv@ituf.liu.se> wrote: > I have noticed that Outlook's .p...

Outlook and True Sync
I downloaded the patches for Office 2000, which is installed on my computer. I now get the following error message when I try to sync my Franklin-Covey planner to Outlook: "Outlook 98-E0001 TrueSunc could not connect to Outlook". I'm sure this is due to the new security fixes in the Office 2000 upgrades. Anyone have the fix? When I searched for the error message at the MSN site it provided 100 possible fixes--ouch!! cyberdog wrote: > I downloaded the patches for Office 2000, which is installed on my > computer. I now get the following error message when I try to...

Blank tasks appearing in Outlook 2002.
I have a user who is experiencing a reoccurring problem with her tasks in Outlook. Every time she clicks on her calendar, in Outlook 2002, a blank task appears under her task folder. In addition; anyone viewing her calendar, from their respective PCs, that click on her calendar generates a blank task in the original user’s task folder. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? ...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Importing a PST File #2
Further to my previous Posts. 1. I have backed up the outlook.pst file to CD using NERO 2. I have restored the outlook.pst file to a seperate folder 3. I have checked the file attribute and made sure the archive bit is off 4. I have run the scanpst program over the outlook.pst file. SCANPST came up with a large number of errors (I have the file). An example is: !!PMap page @6112768: PTYPE mismatch (read 00, expected 83) !!PMap page @6112768: BID mismatch (read 0, expected 5D4600) When I open or import the outlook.pst file, there are 2 empty folders... recovered and deleted. Any s...

Outlook 2003 Reminders
I keep getting this message and cannot figure out why? "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. Cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment. MS OUtlook operation failed." I do not have any appointments that have been set up as recurring? I get the same message and I can't figure out what's wrong. Any luck or advice? - Rob "SammyJ" wrote: > I keep getting this message and cannot figure out > why? "There was a problem reading one or more of your > reminders. Some reminders...

Re: Junk mail doesnt filter when rules are enabled
Yes, I am dealing with this problem. I get mail from three pop accounts. I filter ALL my email based on what mail account it comes from and put it into a corresponding folder. Outlook catches ZERO percent of my junk mail because of this.... How can we get outlook junkfilter to work right?? Thanks. A very frustrated Lawrence "Sholom Deen" <sdeen@diamonds.net> wrote in message news:2ad7b851.0311061241.1a580be9@posting.google.com... > I'm having the same problem. Apparently, the junk filters are applied > before any rules, and since in 2003 the filters are not sim...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

How to switch from Outlook Express to Outlook fo re-mail?
I recently installed Outlook 2000 and would like to have Outlook handle all of the e-mail features. Can anyone advise how to accomplish this? -- "Work is for those people who don't know how to hunt or fish" >I recently installed Outlook 2000 and would like to have Outlook handle all >of the e-mail features. Can anyone advise how to accomplish this? What e-mail features do you think Outlook won't handle? -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the ...

IMAP in Outlook Express
IMAP accounts in OE have a special tab called IMAP. This tab enables by default special folders: Sent Items ("Sent Items path") and Drafts ("Drafts path"). But since there's just one checkbox, how can one enable just ONE of the special folders? Blank entries aren't accepted. That's it, that's the question. For those of you who might ask "who needs to enable just one folder?" instead of answering the question, I'll provide a real life example. Gmail's instructions clearly state: enable Drafts WITHOUT enabling Sent Items, a...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Outlook to Outlook TNEF Problem
Hi everyone, I've looked through the groups and have come across a number of users with issues relating to OE and TNEF encoding and problems opening attachments. My problem is slightly different. One of my users cannot receiving attachments from one sender. The sender is using Outlook 2000 with exchange 2000. My user is using outlook 2003 with exchange 2003. If i get the sender to cc me (I'm outlook 2003 as well) I receive the attachment fine. I've checked on the exchange server and the attachment is arriving fine from the sender. The only difference that I can see between the ...

OUTLOOK #183
After loading Office 2000 again after getting rid of the Sasser worm- everything is working, internet connection (Comcast-High speed Internet), Word, Excell etc. BUT, Cannot install Outlook...Keeps giving error message..."click on link for more info" -> which throws me to "UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE"- After updating a few files..still cannot get into Outlook. I have no idea what to do or where to start ...

Automatic mail retrieval w/Outlook 2003
Is it possible to have Outlook 2003 automatically check for new mail on startup? I'm on a home computer and just installed Office 2K3, but can't figure how to set OL2003 to check my email when I start it up. I have to manually hit the send/receive button. I see the option to automatically check when I shut down Outlook, but not when I start outlook. I'm on an always on cable connection, so I'm always connected when I run OL2K3. I figured since this option is in Outlook Express, it should also be in Outlook, but where? If you have a polling interval set in your Send/Recei...

Repair PST file in Outlook
Hi I have spent hours and hours to solve this problem: My PC broke down and I had to repair the outlook 2000 pst- file. Ewerything seemed to work just fine when repairinh. I was told that most messeges were repaired, Whe I imported the mail-folders it also seemed to be just fine BUT ALL IMPORTED FOLDERS WERE EMPTY. I did watch the import-proces and I'm sure that a lot of mails were im fact imported (names were shown). Also when a folder contained many mails it took quit some time to import. the "new" pst file were app. the same size before and after repair. I have followed...

Exporting japanese from Express to Outlook
I am trying to help a friend of mine who is japanese and who has problem with exporting Outlook Express messages to Outlook. The proble is the following: . When exporting the messages written in japanese i.e. Kanji as well a Hiragana and Katakana the result in Outlook is a range of signs tha has got nothing to do with the original message. . I could not find any option allowing me to change the mail forma that's received in Outlook although the japanese language coding i activated... . Furthermore the same problem happens quite often when sending mail t people using hotmail or other m...

Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2003 PROBLEM
Tried the beta and it really bogged down my machine, especially Outlook. Finally tired of the whole thing and uninstalled office 2007 beta, then of course had to reinstall outlook 2003. Now I have NO send/receive button on toolbar (it appears for a split second when starting up), and the function is no longer available under the Tools commands menu (nor the Cusomize Commnds window. I tried a repair to no avail. ANyone have a clue how I can get it back and functioning. F9 key does not work either. Paul Use system restore to return to a period before the beta was installed and repair offi...

Import of .pst files from one Outlook to another Outlook
I'm working in Outlook 2002 and my computer has been reinstalled (formated etc.). Now I want to import the old files from Outlook into the exact same Outlook (just reinstalled on a new partition). I can't do this. It's possible to import from Outlook Express and other programs but not form another Outlook! I have the files backed up from earlier. Personal Folders(1).pst Outlook.pst extend.dat archive.pst I can't believe it's not possible to import these files... Please help me. Morten Why are you trying to import a native Outlook file type? (BTW - you can only use ...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

In Outlook 2003
Can this email be blocked by key word? Yes, you can create a message rule that deletes the message when it is in the subject or body (or both). Since it is coming from an internal address, it is not really Junk E-mail. Simply contact that person and tell him/her that you do not appreciate his/her mail or take it up with your/his/her manager. After all; he/she is negatively affecting your efficiency. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msout...

Outlook XP mail
Frustration. I still can't restore the send/receive function on my Outlook XP. Tried: I have removed all email accounts and readd them. Repaired Outlook XP Removed Outlook XP, Readded Outlook XP Reset Toolbar views to make sure all buttons are enabled. Help. Any idea on how to restore my send/recieve functionality? Have you tried deleting your mail profile and creating a new profile from scratch? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:737801c3ea...

I lost my pst
I'm using Outlook XP, and upgraded from WIN98 to XP. I was shocked to find all my previous emails, contacts, etc. were gone. Ran Search to find pst, it's not on hard drive. Please help! I really need to retrieve this data. In Windows XP, you need to turn on searching hidden and system files/folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John ask...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Outlook Exp and XP SP2
Hi Everybody, I am also experiencing the same type of problem but I am using OE. I cannot send messages but I can receive messages, however I cannot open them. When I try I get an error message saying I have insufficient memory but I know I have all kinds. If I move to a different folder then return to my In-box the email disappears! Any help or advice is appreciated. GEC chapmang@accesswave.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am also experiencing the same type of problem but I am > using OE. Then ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...