archive will not install

Hi,
I archived some emails (outlook 2007 on Vista laptop) and then saved that
file to an external drive. I then had to reinstall the operating system on
the laptop and lost everything except for the backups including the
outlook.pst file and the archive.pst files. I re-installed the same version
of Outlook 2007 and installed the emails as before. The only problem is now
when I try to import or open the archive.pst file (That is its name and it
is 250mb) I get an error telling me that it isn't a personal folder file. I
have tried repairing it with scanpst but this doesn't seem to recognise the
file either. Now I am stuck. Is there any way of recovering/repairing this
file?

0
lenny109

Since you tried to import these files, I would guess you made similar errors
when you created and transported these files. Tell us in detail how you did
so. Make sure you removed any read only attribute these files may have
acquired during whatever process you used.
--
Russ Valentine
"lenny109" <lenny@thetakeout.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I archived some emails (outlook 2007 on Vista laptop) and then saved that
> file to an external drive. I then had to reinstall the operating system on
> the laptop and lost everything except for the backups including the
> outlook.pst file and the archive.pst files. I re-installed the same
> version of Outlook 2007 and installed the emails as before. The only
> problem is now when I try to import or open the archive.pst file (That is
> its name and it is 250mb) I get an error telling me that it isn't a
> personal folder file. I have tried repairing it with scanpst but this
> doesn't seem to recognise the file either. Now I am stuck. Is there any
> way of recovering/repairing this file?

0
Russ
4/10/2010 9:45:34 PM
lenny109 wrote:

> Hi,
> I archived some emails (outlook 2007 on Vista laptop) and then saved that
> file to an external drive. I then had to reinstall the operating system on
> the laptop and lost everything except for the backups including the
> outlook.pst file and the archive.pst files. I re-installed the same version
> of Outlook 2007 and installed the emails as before. The only problem is now
> when I try to import or open the archive.pst file (That is its name and it
> is 250mb) I get an error telling me that it isn't a personal folder file. I
> have tried repairing it with scanpst but this doesn't seem to recognise the
> file either. Now I am stuck. Is there any way of recovering/repairing this
> file?

"external drive" tells us NOTHING about what is that actual drive.  If it is
an optical disc drive, like CD-R[W] or DVD-R[W], that disc is read-only
(requiring burner software to write to it).  All files to that ROM
(read-only media) disc is, well, read-only.  When you copy files from that
ROM media, the read-only file attribute is retained on the copied files.  So
copy the .pst file from the optical disc to your hard disk and the use the
properties on that hard disk file to remove the read-only file attribute.
0
VanguardLH

SBS2003 / CRM 3.0 Laptop installation Issues
Guys, I am trying to install the Outlook Laptop Client by pushing it out from the SBS2003 SP1 box. Every time, i get the same error message: "Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.GrantUserPersmissionsAction failed. The ASP.NET install path could not be determined from the registry." Anybody got any ideas/? No-one (as far as I know) has ever succeeded in deploying Sales for Outlook using s/w deployment tools like AD Group Policy Objects , SMS etc So, unfortunately, you just cannot "push it out " Just have to follow the installation instructions as is... "James Harbidg...

Installing Office 2007 on new laptop
I tried to install Office 2007 on my new laptop which came with the 60 day free trial of Office 2007. After the disk has been installed and I click on the icon to open the program I get an error message that says something like "You are unable to sign in because the server is unavailable". I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and get the same result. This was a disk purchased as a student/instructor disk and has never been used before. On 3/21/2010 11:28 AM, Linda wrote: > I tried to install Office 2007 on my new laptop which came with the 60 ...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Since we installed Office 2007, Outlook 2003 no longer runs
Hello, One of our technical people has this problem. On an Xp Sp2 box with Office 2003 he tried to install Office 2007. Since that Outlook 2003 stopped working with this error message : MAPI32.dll is corrupt or incompatible version. Renaming MAPI32.dll and restarting Outlook does not work. When I go into Contral Panel and Click on Mail, I get the message that I need more memory or system resources. Tried uninstall Office 2007 and reinstall and repair office 2003 without any result. We still get the message MAPI32.dll is corrupt or incompatible version. What could I try now? Regards, ...

Rollup 2 Won't Install.
All I am trying to do is link up my Xbox 360 with my Laptop to use the Media Centre that I have installed on my computer. I learned that I needed to Install a “Extender” Update to my Media Centre Software, in order for my computer to see my Xbox and visa versa. This update failed to install and I was told to Uninstall and then Reinstall a previous “Rollup 2” Update as this was preventing the “Extenderer” Update. I successfully Uninstalled the Rollup 2 and then tried to reinstall it. The reinstall starts to go through the process but soon after it comes up with a message “Unab...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

.NET 3.5 Runtime / broken after MS Updates / install failures
We are supporting a number of clients who are running our .NET 3.5 app. Recently we have seen several machines where the 3.5 Runtime just "stopped" working. It seems like, in each case, some kind of MS Windows update was installed (we're not sure). Once the runtime stops working, attempts to reinstall it fail - I think always with a dependency failure that .NET 2.0 isn't installed. Is anyone out there seeing this same problem? (We are on machine #3 with this same problem, all in different locations). Thanks in advance. Sam > 3.5 Runtime just "...

Mutual Fund quote will not update...
Hi, MS Money 2004 Deluxe will not update the mutual fund CSMVX (Century Small Cap Select). It has been returning a value of $0. I have other funds in the file which update properly. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance, Bryan J The fund has been devaluated...sell now and buy rice futures in China "Bryan J" <blj88@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:157c901c4468b$5425fa30$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > MS Money 2004 Deluxe will not update the mutual fund > CSMVX (Century Small Cap Select). It has been returning a > value of $0. I have other funds in the file which updat...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

Re Installing Outlook
-- Outlook is not sending or receiving emails can I re install just outlook from Microsoft office Disc with out disturbing word and excel??? Thanks in advance.........Bob Vance ...

Exchange 2K install
I am trying to install Exchange 2K on a Windows 2K server. I have 5.5 running on a different Win2K server. During the install it asks me to specify the name of the 5.5 server and I put in LCH02 which is the server name. I then receive an error message saying "Setup encountered an error trying to bind to the exchange server "lch02" The directory service is not the expected type Second I have not run any type of forestprep or domain prep tools because I don't seem to be able to get them to run. How do I run them specifically? How do I do a dcdiag Thanks See http://support.mi...

Control Will Not Update
How do I get a control to update in a form without closing the form and re-opening it? It used to work fine before I converted the DB to 2007. Basically, a user keys in an item number, and I would like the item description control to populate after they move out of the item control field. The source for the form is a select query. Any help would be appreciated. "DJM2290" <DJM2290@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3EE101D-A3C1-4E8F-8D9D-2D357A415638@microsoft.com... > How do I get a control to update in a form without closing the form and ...

Will office 2003 work in Windows 7
Just want to find out if Office 2003 will work in Windows 7 OS? Thanks, -- David Kellett Owner K.I. Computing Yes it works in Win 7 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "David Kellett" <DavidKellett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E59E7458-2CBB-4E6A-8606-17BD8A41332A@microsoft.com... > Just want to find out if Office 2003 will work in Windows 7 OS? > > Thanks, > > > -- > David Kellett > Owner > K.I. Comp...

archived messages #2
i recently archived a large number of messages from the last year or so, but when i open the .pst file in outlook 2000 it says that there are no files contained. i know there is data there because the .pst file reads a size of 162MB on my drive. where is this info and why can i not access it? also, everytime i view the properties[advanced properties] for this file there is a check box selected that reads "file is ready for archiving" which none of my other archive files have checked. but once i uncheck that box and try to open the file it resets that option to the way it...

Quicken Won't Do It
I use Quicken. When I ask it to produce a report showing a historical value of investments, it shows only investments that are still owned today. It will not, for example produce an accurate report as of December 31, 2001 if you have sold any of the investments that you owned on December 31, 2001. Will Money do this? In microsoft.public.money, moneyman wrote: >I have Money 2004 and if I set a date in the past - it will show the >value and the investment I had at the time. And I could create a >report of that. > >I don't know how much history it retains, and I only have h...

How do you install abode flasher?
I have tried several times and I am unable to install abode flasher player. Computer & Internet wrote: > I have tried several times and I am unable to install abode flasher player. - Get the uninstaller (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html) to completely remove any remnants of their Flash AX control. - Disable all [non-Microsoft] add-ons. I usually only disable the non-Microsoft add-ons. You could disable all add-ons during the reinstall to ensure that none of them is causing a conflict or involved in the install problem. - Install the Flash Player; h...

Taskbar is not locked and will not move, pls help!
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so please bear with me. My 2 year old decided that it would be fun to 'play computers' with my laptop and she has pressed a load of buttons, she also grabbed the mouse and randomly clicked. Yep, she did all this in the time it took me to run across the room and stop her! She is a cheeky monkey. Anyway, I don't think she has done any lasting damage but my taskbar is now on the right hand side of my screen, not along the bottom. It's not locked and I can't move it! I know how to move it (just click inside the bar in an em...

Archive
Has there been a resolution to this as I have a member of staff with the exact same problem and I have to give him and endless cap :/ EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Microsoft will be disabling all Windows prior to Vista
On June 1, 2010. Microsoft will be disabling the operating systems from ALL computers worldwide, if the operating system was created prior to Windows Vista. This includes anyone using Windows 3.x, Win95, Win98, WinME, and Windows XP. It includes all original or upgraded versions, such as XP or XP-SP3. If you are using any of these operating systems, they will be disabled on your computer on this date. Only persons using Windows Vista and Windows 7 will be able to continue using their computers. When Windows is disabled, none of you personal data will be removed or destroyed. Yo...

old rules showing up after clean install
My old rules are still showing up after i uninstall and reinsall office xp. There seems to be a problem with them and i just want to uninstall office and reinstall so that my computer thinks it has never had it before, in the hope i can fix whatever is wrong with my rules. Is there another step to perform after uninstalling to completely rid any "memory" of having it installed previously? Thanks. Cut Cut <ccutlip@nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote: > My old rules are still showing up after i uninstall and reinsall > office xp. There seems to be a problem with them and i just...

Archive not archiving
Help please. I am trying to archive email folders. Archive runs, creates an archive folder (and .pst file) but does nothing else. i.e no data is moved to the Archive folders. This is not a case of selected date - a lot of this info is 2 years old. No matter what date I select nothing is moved. Same if i try to archive calendar or other folders. I see others have had this problem - is there a solution or is this an outlook problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks D If you are working with an Exchange Server you may want to look at MKBA 297226 and 143376. >-----Original Mes...