Adobe PDF Mail Merge Creates winmail.dat Instead of Attachment

This has been discussed in other threads, but I haven't found an answer to
this problem.  In reality I don't know which application is to blame, but the
fingers keep pointing at Outlook.

I'm using Word 2007 to do a mail merge using Adobe Acrobat Pro V9.  I have
Outlook configured as the default mail program.  The generated PDF is
attached to en e-mail and gets delivered without problems.  If I read the
e-mail using Outlook or Gmail (the only ones that I've tried), the attachment
appears and can be displayed without issues.  If I read the e-mail using a
program such as Mozilla Thunderbird, I don't see the attachment, but instead
I see winmail.dat.

If I use Outlook to create an e-mail and manually attach the PDF file, the
attachment appears correctly in all of the e-mail programs that I've tried.

What's going on here?  How can I get these programs to play together so that
I can reliably generate a PDF attachment?

-- Geoff

In which format does Adobe generate the email? If in Rich Text, switch it to
Plain Text or HTML format instead.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"geoffschultz" <geoffschultz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This has been discussed in other threads, but I haven't found an answer to
> this problem.  In reality I don't know which application is to blame, but
> the
> fingers keep pointing at Outlook.
>
> I'm using Word 2007 to do a mail merge using Adobe Acrobat Pro V9.  I have
> Outlook configured as the default mail program.  The generated PDF is
> attached to en e-mail and gets delivered without problems.  If I read the
> e-mail using Outlook or Gmail (the only ones that I've tried), the
> attachment
> appears and can be displayed without issues.  If I read the e-mail using a
> program such as Mozilla Thunderbird, I don't see the attachment, but
> instead
> I see winmail.dat.
>
> If I use Outlook to create an e-mail and manually attach the PDF file, the
> attachment appears correctly in all of the e-mail programs that I've
> tried.
>
> What's going on here?  How can I get these programs to play together so
> that
> I can reliably generate a PDF attachment?
>
> -- Geoff

0
Roady

Adobe
Which editions of Adobe Acrobat will enable the emailing of PDFs? I know Adobe Acrobat Professional will (that's what we use), but my client wants to spend as little as possible. Both the Standard and Elements editions can create PDF documents. ------=_NextPart_0001_06E71395 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, The requirement for emailing reports as PDF files from Microsoft Dynamics is any Adobe Acrobat edition which has either Acrobat Distiller or PDFWriter. Visit the following url for an Adobe product comparison - http://www.adobe.com/product...

Subscription w/ PDF attachment to Blackberry
Hi - Kind of a strange one here... I have a subscription to an SSRS 2005 report that automatically emails users w/ a PDF attachment every day. Many users open this with their Blackberry. Older Blackberries work fine, but newer ones (Tour, Bold, Storm), don't open the attachment at all. It actualyl doesn't even show up as an attachment properly. If I just attach the file to an email, it works just fine - must be something in the way CDO is sending the attachments. Has anybody run into this, and if so - any solution? Thanks! ...

Mail Relay #7
I have a Exhcahge 2003 FE/BE setup. WE are adding another email server for encryption that will be a n outgoing relay. this will sit between my FE server and my firewall. Do I have to setup another connector to point to this server for all mail? Thanks Rick All outbound internet mail? You can insert the server as a smarthost on SMTP Connector for address space *. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Rick" <drummer10980@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159524368.41...

Is there a mail limitation when sending a bulk email message
Hi all, I posted this message quite some time ago but didn't receive a reply so I'm re-posting in the hope there may be some newbies who have come across a similar issue. I send a bulk email message every few months to ~11,000 contacts. There seems to be a limit as I have to send them in batches of say 1,500 in order to get all the mail out. I've tried to send them all at once and I thought at first that it worked, but when I went to check the contact activity history, nothing was logged. Any clues? I know it could be a mail server issue but I've spoken to our IT pe...

Windows Mail
I am getting the error messages for the POP3 and SMTP server names can someone tell me the name for these servers in order to get this service up and running elvin Your email account provider(s) has that information. They should have a help page on their website. If you tell us who provides your email account, perhaps someone can assist you. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail http://download.live.com/wlmail "Elvin Diaz" wrote in message news:#IkoKqFSLHA.4996@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... I am getting the er...

In todays world pdf is an important format BUT adobe makes our lifes complicated...
Hey, I;m using PDFMaker 5.0 and i need to automate the conversion to pdf, I am currently printing to a pdf file, the problem is its asking me for a file name every time, how do i bypass this prompt ? from vba I would like to specify a name and save the file. Can someone please help ?? Regards, Alexandre use _ACCESS_ in order to make your reports; and then just view with snapshot viewer-- it is included with Office installation. Adobe is too stupid to make reliable products. Sorry. -Aaron aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote... >use _ACCESS_ in order to make your reports; and then just vie...

Internet e-mail
I did an initial install of Office 2003. I followed the directions for it to get my e-mail from my earthlink account. However it is not getting my mail from or sending mail through that location. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Any error messages ? Have you verified the POP3 and SMTP account details/credentials ? -- Hope that helps!! Thank you! Sincerely, Chris Lineback, MCSE Microsoft Enterprise Messaging Support - Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. -This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and con...

Previewing pdf attachments
I have Nitro pdf and Actrobat Reader on my machine. Recently I uninstalled Nitro and then installed the latest version but now I am not able to preview pdf attachments to emails. If i click on an attachment in the preview pane, I get "This file cannot previewed because there is no previewer installed for it". Is there some way to put this right? Jan Outlook and .pdf viewer versions please?????? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.co...

send/receive when opening e-mail
Is there a way to have Outlook automatically go and get new messages when I open mail in Outlook. Currently I have to click send/receive to do this. Thanks. Post your version ALWAYS. To have Outlook perform an automatic send/receive, you will need to set an automatic polling interval in your send/receive settings tab. You can also set "send immediately..." on the same tab to not have to press send/receive when sending mail. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all m...

how to create a rental entry database
"surali" <surali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C4CB364-C05C-4210-A79B-8DA24E12B36A@microsoft.com... > Begin by writing down the specifications. I was sorting through some old papers the other day, and I came across an old newsgroup post by Robin Stoddart Stones that I'd printed and kept. Robin's advice on requirements analysis was to determine the answers to the following four questions ... 1) What do you want it to do? 2) What do you do now? 3) How will you know when it works? 4) Who will test it, and how? Try asking yourself those ...

Cant open PDF in OWA 2003
Hi, If I receive a PDF attachment from someone on my Exchange 2003 SP2 server I have to save it to the local disk to view it. However, if I receive a PDF attachment from the Internet I am able to view it right insde of the OWA window and don't have to save it to the local disk. Any ideas? Thanks If you're using Adobe Reader v6 or earlier, go to v7.0.9 or v8. We had a similar issue where people could not open a link to a PDF file from Outlook and updating Adobe Reader fixed it. Ray "poguemahone" <poguemahone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9ACCC...

How do you merge multible rows of a table?
I have input a bunch of data that is a name followed by other information. The other information is contained over more than one row, address etc. I need to sort this info by different columns so I would like to make it a table but when I do each row is a different row in the table the result being that when i sort I lose half of my info. Suggestions please, thank you. Hi, Since you don't show us what your data looks like its all guesswork: Suppose that Name is in column A but only on the first row of data for John Jones, while the next two lines under name are blank but his data...

PDF To XLS
Is there a way to convert a pdf file to excel? There are several OCR programs that can convert it to text which excel can import, you can probably use the latest free acrobat reader to do it as well although it might be a bummer of a job -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "U of Louisville" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:af2b01c3ec53$c0381f10$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to convert a pdf file to excel? Some links and notes for PDF and Excel http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pdf.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel ...

How to check ALL of my e-mail with outlook
Hi, I currently use outlook for all interoffice email I use outlook express for all outside email How do I get outlook to check my outside email? My boss wants me to arrange this so that he can invite people outside of our network to meeting via email. I am the IT for this office, but my specialty is architecture, not computers. I am reasonably intelligent and can follow directions if someone will help. about the system We use DSL for internet access We use SBS small business to operate the network (it uses Microsoft exchange) We connect to the internet through the LAN That's about al...

how to receive external mail
Hi, I am new to Exchange 2003 having used another mail server for some 8yrs. I have setup Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2000 server box behind a firewall which holds the external IP address. The relevant ports are open and directed to the server. The server has Active directory installed and working. The domain is configured, DNS and DHCP are working. I can send email both locally and remotely. The email is being received on the outside. My question is how do I configure Exchange to receive external email? Must be simple but I cannot find it. Thanks in Advance. Mark Do you have your ex...

Sort mail within categories
I now have Office 2003 but before this I was able to have my e-mails in categories then sort by "From", "Received", etc and keep the mail in the categories. I can't figure out how to do this in 2003. In needs to be quick and simple, I sort on many columns. Thanks, Deborah Once you turn off the arrangements in a view I think you can group/sort by multiple fields. Check here in a view: View menu > Arrange By > Current View > Customize Current View > Group By "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E45DDE0...

Mail won't automatically forward from outlook 2000 to another email account not on exchange server
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3193857361_3699260 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit I have tried several times using rules wizard on outlook 2000 to have my mail forwarded automatically to no avail. I am in a small office running exchange 2002 I would like to have all incoming mail to an IMAP server account. Any suggestions? --B_3193857361_3699260 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-enc...

attaching a shortcut to folder on server
Let's say I have a folder called "Folder One" located on my server at work. If I want to send an email out to the rest of my colleagues with a quick link to that folder, how would I type that link? I'm not sure how to figure that out because "Folder One" is two words. Can anyone help me out? Thanks. Use the Insert function in Outlook. Select from the dropdown "as a link." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted witho...

Word docs open in 2007 instead of 2010.
I have Office 2010 on my laptop and PC. I also need to retain Office 2007 for instructional purposes. When I double click any type of Word file on the laptop it opens in 2010 - great, that's what I want. However, double click the same on the PC and it opens and starts to instal 2007 - don't want that. I have used 'Open with...' the default shows the 2010 icon but the PC still wants to start up 2007. I can open files in 2010 but only after having first started 2010 from the programs menu. Any ideas? John -- John Whyte Both versions share some resource...

Recall of e-mail message problem
HELP! I tried to recall an e-mail message which I sent to three people. Unfortunately, I keep receiving an error message of "failure retreive message". I must have received that message 20 times. It is driving me nuts! How do I stop that message coming and filling up my mailbox. Talk to your Exchange Admin. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no an...

Moving to Windows Mail with Vista
How do I go about setting up the new email with a Vista operating system? I've been unable to find help anywhere. "Edward Boll" <boll082077@msn.com> wrote in message news:%234m$UKVHLHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How do I go about setting up the new email with a Vista operating system? > I've been unable to find help anywhere. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish Cheri That depends on who your mail service provider is. You get the correct mail server names and setting...

Creating Machine shop part schedule using Excel
Hello, my name is Alex Barker and I am working for a company in Ontar Canada called Knoch Manufacturing. I am experienced with Excel, but not quite capable enough to complet the project given. We are a machine shop that has 14 different CNC machines. We keep track of Queued, Pending , and Distant jobs for each machine Queued- ready to run Pending- one more operation then ready to run Distant- 2 or more operations becure ready to run This information also comes along with a due date and hours remainin on operation What we are looking for is a program that schedules this informatio i...

e-mail indvl rows to e-mail address w/in row
This is a longshot.... Any ideas on how to send individual rows of data, in separat documents, through Lotus R.5, to the e-mail addresses entered in Colum A of each row, preferably complete with the column headings -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The following *may* give you a clue: http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip86.htm Dunca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see: http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "upstate_steve >" <<upstate_steve.16yz4c@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Ne...

Can't send but can receive email windows live mail and windows 7 6
Server Settings incoming ppo.directnic.com outgoing smtp10.bellnet.ca The connection to the server has failed. Subject '' Server: 'smtp10.bellnet.ca' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10060 Are you connected to the Internet via bellnet.ca when trying to send? Some ISPs block access to other SMTP mail servers while connected via them. (They block TCP/IP port 25 except to their own SMTP mail server.) Some of these ISPs will make exceptions if you present a compelling reason to do this. The error m...

all merge records don't show up.
Template is set up to send out form letters. However, when new records are added to the original excel spreadsheet, only the old records show when you open the form to complete the merge. ...