.pst size problem

I know I am an idiot.  I didn't archieve my Outlook 2003 .pst files when repeatedly prompted to do so.  So I am admitting that right up front, and will understand the shower of abuse. With that understanding, my .pst file somehow reached over 4 gigs, but this was evidently not a problem until yesterday morning when Windows crashed for some unknown reason (black screen after POST).

I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade from XP to 7, and Outlook 2003 to 2007.  After installation of Win 7, all my old files were intact under the Windows(old)file, and after I loaded Outlook 2007, I imported my old .pst file to 2007.  It seemed to work ok, and I received no error messages during the transfer.  When I attempted to run 2007 for the first time after that, however, it indicated that the .pst file was corrupted. The error message indicated that I needed to run Scanpst.exe, but it does not appear to work on files bigger than 2GB.  While that led me to the "pst truncation utility," that seems to simply "snip" the end off of the file to get under the 2GB number (which in my case would be 2GB and woulde do nothing towards attempting to preserve the remaining 2GB of data.  I have attempted to break the .pst file into smaller pieces unsuccessfully, and even tried to copy and move it to other computers still running Outlook 2003 (by both DVD and flash drive) to replace their .pst files then edit it down to a smaller size with no success.

Throwing myself on the mercy of my betters, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?  Thanks in advance for your help.
.
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com
0
James

Well Outlook 2003 using the native unicode format doesnt have a size
limitation
Niether import or export is the way to deal with native outlook data, as
detailed here daily
If your data file had been created by an earlier version of Outlook (eg 2002
or prior) it would have bombed out long before reaching 4gb

Did you do any diagnostics to asertain as to why your sys crashed? perhaps
your drive is on the way out

"James Parker" <jparker[at]mcd-p[dot]com> wrote in message
>I know I am an idiot.  I didn't archieve my Outlook 2003 .pst files when
>repeatedly prompted to do so.  So I am admitting that right up front, and
>will understand the shower of abuse. With that understanding, my .pst file
>somehow reached over 4 gigs, but this was evidently not a problem until
>yesterday morning when Windows crashed for some unknown reason (black
>screen after POST).
> I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade from XP to 7, and Outlook
> 2003 to 2007.  After installation of Win 7, all my old files were intact
> under the Windows(old)file, and after I loaded Outlook 2007, I imported my
> old .pst file to 2007.  It seemed to work ok, and I received no error
> messages during the transfer.  When I attempted to run 2007 for the first
> time after that, however, it indicated that the .pst file was corrupted.
> The error message indicated that I needed to run Scanpst.exe, but it does
> not appear to work on files bigger than 2GB.  While that led me to the
> "pst truncation utility," that seems to simply "snip" the end off of the
> file to get under the 2GB number (which in my case would be 2GB and woulde
> do nothing towards attempting to preserve the remaining 2GB of data.  I
> have attempted to break the .pst file into smaller pieces unsuccessfully,
> and even tried to copy and move it to other computers still running
> Outlook 2003 (by both DVD and flash drive) to replace their .pst files
> then edit it down to a smaller size with no success.
> Throwing myself on the mercy of my betters, does anyone have any
> suggestions on how to fix this problem?  Thanks in advance for your help.
> Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com

0
DL

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Excel 2007 Conditional Formatting problem
I have a conditional format that works fine on the previous version of Excel, but not so well on 2007. It is a formula condition: =AND($D$13 = "N",LEFT($D$6,2) = "AP")=TRUE D13 is the cell with the conditional format in it and D6 is a drop down of items, some of which start with "AP" and some of which start with "GL". (Basically, I'm having D13 turn red when D13 has a value of "N" and D6 starts with "AP".) It works just fine if you are changing the value of D13. It doesn't work at all if you are changing the value of D6-- ...

fixed form size
I have created a Form with Various Sub forms. One of my Subforms is an Item form where Multiple Items can be bought. I have designed the page so when 9 items are captured it is just exactly the right size and all my other subforms are placed specifically in the correct position for this. My problem is this. I need the form (When printed To look exactly the same everytime, But Now it doesn;t. When I have less tha 9 items on the Order it automatically shrinks that Specific Subform smaller messing up the position of all the rest. It still shows me what I need to see but now my lines are n...

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

problem accessing attachments
How can I restore the access to an attachment file that has been marked as an unsafe file? If I highlight the e- mail containing the attachment and then I click forward the next window shows the attachment as being clear and I am able to open it. Is there a an option where I can unblock this command. This is happpening to all my e-mails that contain attachments, even to ones that I was able to open before. thanks Sounds like you're using Outlook Express - and actually, what you're doing is one of the best methods. That said, you can change the secutrity options in tools | o...

OpenForm arguments problem
Hi I am having a problem with OpenForm arguments, basically I want to dbl click on a listbox 'frmAuditTrail' and use the value in Column(2) of the listbox for the OpenForm argument, in order to filter the form to the ID of the patient I have dbl clicked on. frmPatient is the form I want to open, filtered to the correct patient, I am using the following code to do this in the dbl click event of frmAuditTrail -- Private Sub lstView2_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) Dim strValue As String strValue = Me.lstView2.Column(2) DoCmd.OpenForm "frmPatient", , , "[PtID] =" &a...

Used to be able to use Ctrl+Scrollwheel to change text size
Previously, I had been able to hold in the Ctrl key and use the mouse scrollwheel to adjust text size up and down in emails that I have received, and randomly this function stopped working. No software was installed or uninstalled from the system, and no other changes that I can think of from when it was working to when it stopped. I've done some searching through various support groups, but have not come across this yet. Any ideas anyone here can come up with I would greatly appreciate. Thanks, me What mouse are you using? Have you reinstalled the drivers? --=81 Milly Staples [...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

Bar Chart Label Sizes
I am dynamically populating multiple Horizontal Bar Charts with Data. I want the Labels (y axes) and chart area (Bar Charts) to be the same on each chart. When I dynamically set the data the labels and charts resize themselves based on the width of the data. Is there a way through code VBA, C#, etc that I can set the width of the Graphic (the bar charts --no labels) independently of the width of the labels (the y axis). I haved tried xlChart.Chart.PlotArea.Width but it appears to be the width of both of these areas together? Any other thoughts. Thanks In Advance Bob - You've touched...

iFrame script problem
I have an iFrame dynamically pointing at document libraries based on the entity record number. It works great except I want to strip the chrome, which I can do using a Content Editor web part, but I want to do it from my CRM script because these libraries are created from a CRM callout when the entity record is created. I'm a little new with javascript and I'm not getting the syntax, but I'm trying something like this: var aName = crmForm.all.new_number.DataValue; var url = 'http://mn-dev-crm/CRMDevelopment/'; if(crmForm.all.new_number.DataValue != null) { crmForm.al...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

Strange Problem With One User
One user in our organisation cannot receive external e-mail. Messages are been bounced back with a 550 unroutable address. All other users are unaffected. this user can send mail. receive internal mail, but not external. when you look at exchange manager, you can see mail in her mailbox. She is experiencing no network problems. if you connect to her mailbox on a different computer her mailbox seems to open in exchange but it is empty. I have deleted and recreated everything i could think of still she cannot see her e-mail in exchange. we are using win 2003 sbs and outlook 2003 Any He...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

Money 2004 budget problem #3
i am setting up a budget in 2004. I have a loan account that we paid off. This loan keeps showing up in my budget under debt evev though there is a zero balance and the account is closed. It shows the regular payment amount and i have tried everything possible to get it out of there. Money help says to uncheck a box on the left hand side of the page in the account page so it wont be included in my budget amount but there is no such box. Any help would be appreciated Bonnie Brennan This is a stretch, but was the loan ever (and I mean ever) part of the Debt Reduction Planner? I...

Gridline Printing Problems
OK checking the fill did not work, it had no fill on it and the gridlines are still not printing. I'm very frustrated. from Excel help check the color of the gridlines <tools><options><View> see what the gridline color is set at. It may be a color your printer prints as white "GRIDLINES IN EXCEL" wrote: > OK checking the fill did not work, it had no fill on it and the gridlines are > still not printing. I'm very frustrated. If you are set to "Draft Quality" the gridlines will not print. Check that out. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On...

Moving mialboxes between two sites
Hello, i've migrated mailboxes from one 5.5 exchange site to another (already existing for a long time) one (exchange 5.5, too), using exmerge. It was rather very successfull with few small problems - some clients (outlook2003, outlook2000) cached "raw" addressess, if user sent mail to mailbox, which was migrated - they received message "cannot delivery... blahblahblah", they had to once use address SMTP to "uncache" - this is no problem, ok, I can manage it - the same clients - i f they have appointment in their calendars - if they update its - users from ol...

why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?
Hello, A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.. One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember which way round. Why are there 2 .pst files? Cheers, Geoff Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one by accident and it's just sitting there unused. "...

Problem accessing SQL server 2008 job history
I've been using code along the lines of... [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO') | Out-Null $sqlServer = New-Object ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server') $instance $jobHistoryFilter = New-Object ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobHistoryFilter') $jobHistoryFilter.OutComeTypes = 'Failed' $sqlServer.JobServer.EnumJobHistory($jobHistoryFilter) ....To access SQL server job history. Which until now has worked OK. We have just had a SQL server 2008 instance setup. When I try t...

3 cell problem
Hi need help with this simple task. 3 cells A1 A2 & A3, if cell a2 has the number 1 in it I need cell A1 to display yes, if cell a3 has the number 1 in it I need cell A1 to display no, If both cells are blank I need A1 to be blank. Thanks Much... Diane maybe... =if(a2=1,"yes",if(a3=1,"no",if(and(a2="",a3=""),"","what goes here"))) What happens if both a2 and a3 contain 1? What happens if A2 or A3 are not blank, but don't contain 1? ...

Problem go to native mode Exchange 2000
Try to change to native mode for Exchnage 2000 but can�t decommision last Exchange 5.5 server. Followed the steps from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 284148 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284148) but can't see the 5.5 server from the Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator connected to exchange 2000 server. Found the follwing on (se below for accepted answer): http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_20478211.html Which seems to be good solution but when presented this manual remove to a consult he said that we could get problem to create a new post...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

Please urgent help needed: VB problem
Dear Sirs, I tried to add a clock code to my DB form in VB – all out of a sudden I got an electricity failure. I tried to open my DB form again in design mode to continue but immediately a Microsoft message appears (Microsoft Office Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. Send error report.). I do not even get a chance to open the VB code, because as soon as I click on “send error report” Access is closing down. If I would like to open my form in form view I get immediately the following error message: The expression OnOpen as the event property setting produced the follow...

pst
Hi I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop. I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the server. But does anyone have any idea what? Thanks Barry I am sure you have seen http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sect...

WYSIWYG problem with Font
IN the document I created, I used Wordart to create a small headline, which looks great in my document. However, when I do a print preview or print, the headline is moved partially off the page, even tho' it does not seem any larger. Any ideas? Thanks! -- Terry L. Lampel Cup of Cold Water Terry, You are welcome to send the file to me and let me see if I can figure out what's wrong. If you want to accept my offer, send the file to jl dot paules at gmail dot com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "BearPair" <BearPair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...