"locate link browser" window in Windows 7 and Outlook 2003

Every time I click on a link in an email in Outlook, a "locate link browser"
window appears.  There's a lot of help on the web to fix it for Win XP, but
those steps don't appear to work for Windows 7.

I tried pointing it to iexplorer.exe and the window isn't coming up anymore,
but it just launches IE and my home page...  not the link that was in the
email.

Can anyone help?

KSieg wrote:

> Every time I click on a link in an email in Outlook, a "locate link browser"
> window appears.  There's a lot of help on the web to fix it for Win XP, but
> those steps don't appear to work for Windows 7.

And because you don't mention those steps or a URL link to them, we cannot
know what you claim to have done so far to prevent us from duplicating what
you already did.

> I tried pointing it

And "it" is WHAT?

> to iexplorer.exe and the window isn't coming up anymore,
> but it just launches IE and my home page...  not the link that was in the
> email.

From a Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"internet+explorer"+%2Bfirefox+%2B"locate+link+browser"

Do you have Firefox installed?  Read:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/troubleshooting-prevent-locate-link-browser-popup-dialog-when-clicking-on-links-in-outlook/
0
VanguardLH
1/25/2010 12:58:47 AM
Hi there,

Here are some URL's of what I've tried already:
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm

And as for what is "it"...  when saying I pointed "it" to iexplorer.exe, I'm
referring to the "locate link browser" window which is asking for an exe of a
browser.

Hope that helps.

KSieg wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> KSieg wrote:
>>
>>> Every time I click on a link in an email in Outlook, a "locate link browser"
>>> window appears.  There's a lot of help on the web to fix it for Win XP, but
>>> those steps don't appear to work for Windows 7.
>>
>> And because you don't mention those steps or a URL link to them, we cannot
>> know what you claim to have done so far to prevent us from duplicating what
>> you already did.
>>
>>> I tried pointing it
>>
>> And "it" is WHAT?
>>
>>> to iexplorer.exe and the window isn't coming up anymore,
>>> but it just launches IE and my home page...  not the link that was in the
>>> email.
>>
>> From a Google search:
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"internet+explorer"+%2Bfirefox+%2B"locate+link+browser"
>>
>> Do you have Firefox installed?  Read:
>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/troubleshooting-prevent-locate-link-browser-popup-dialog-when-clicking-on-links-in-outlook/
>
> Here are some URL's of what I've tried already:
> http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm
>
> And as for what is "it"...  when saying I pointed "it" to iexplorer.exe, I'm
> referring to the "locate link browser" window which is asking for an exe of a
> browser.

Presumably when you copy the URL and paste it in the address bar of IE that
it works to load the target site.

Most of the instructions given about this problem will be for versions of
Windows prior to version 7 (because v7 is new).  There may be differences in
the versions of Windows that render the instructions void.

Again, do you have Firefox installed?  If so, and after the "locate link
browser" dialog pops up and after you simply close it, does Firefox then
load okay?  Do you have Firefox already loaded at the time you click on the
link in an e-mail?  My reading says this error only appears if Firefox is
designated as the default web browser and if Firefox is not loaded at the
time you click the link in the e-mail.  Did you install and later uninstall
Firefox?

I don't think this KB article is complete.  It mentions specifying the IE
program (iexplore.exe) but it has you browse to the file to select it.  That
will include the full path to the file (along with inserting double-quotes
due to the inclusion of space characters in the path).  You don't just enter
iexplore.exe.

That article does not mention DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) which allows
Windows application to share data.  When you edited the advanced properties
of the URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol as per this article, the following
values should be defined:

- Action name is set to:
    open
- Application is name of the program but includes its *full* path; i.e.:
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome
  and that includes the double quote characters.
- "Use DDE" option is enabled.
- "DDE Message" set to the following value:
    "%1",,-1,0,,,,
- "Application" set to:
    IExplore
- "Topic" set to:
    WWW_OpenURL

The URL for the link is getting past using the %1 shell variable; otherwise,
the command (iexplore.exe) wouldn't know what to open when it loaded.  I
don't know what the 3rd and 4th DDE parameters are for.

The Google search of:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2B%22internet+explorer%22+%2Bfirefox+%2B%22locate+link+browser%22

found the following article first in its results list:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/troubleshooting-prevent-locate-link-browser-popup-dialog-when-clicking-on-links-in-outlook/

This describes how to fix the linking if you are using Firefox as the
default web browser.  It mentions additional instructions for Windows Vista
(and Windows 7 would probably have the same required changes).  Although you
mentioned trying to point the "locate link browser" dialog to the IE program
(iexplore.exe), you didn't say if Firefox was installed.

So which web browser do you want to open when you click on a link in an
e-mail?  The slipstick article and the one from howtogeek are to get Firefox
setup as the web browser to open for the links.  Those have you UNSET the
"Use DDE" option for the URL association.  The "More Information" in the
Microsoft KB article says, "The Locate Link Browser dialog box appears when
a Microsoft Internet browser returns an error value after it is started by
Outlook 2003. Netscape 6.2 returns an error value when it is started from an
embedded Web link in an e-mail message."  Obviously is Firefox is no longer
installed then it cannot handle the link, and the setup for Firefox is not
appropriate when using IE as the link browser.

If you want IE to get used when you click on a link in an e-mail, you'll
need to *enable* the "Use DDE" option and set the values that I noted above
in the URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol filetype definition.  If these
instructions don't work under Windows 7, you may have to go visit the
Windows 7 forum and ask them. The Microsoft community for Windows 7 is found
at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro
0
VanguardLH

Locate Link Browser new problem
Since I posted last time I did something foolish and now I need help undoing my error. When the Locate Link Browser window appeared, I had a bright idea, why not point it to the browser and see if it would eliminate the problem of the window popping up every time I clicked a link in an email. The idea would have been harmless except that in a senior moment of brain freeze I pointed the program to Outlook.exe as the Link Browser. Call me stupid, I surely did about two seconds after clicking OK. Now when I click a link I get a new Outlook message view window with the linked site shown in th...

"Locate Link Browser" #2
For the past couple of days, every time I click on an URL--the URL is launched in my default browser and I get a window with the title "Locate Link Browser" that has a default setting of an executable file. I don't think I've made any setting changes--but something is different. TIA isidis <isidis@gmail.com> wrote: > For the past couple of days, every time I click on an URL--the URL is > launched in my default browser and I get a window with the title > "Locate Link Browser" that has a default setting of an executable > file. I don't think I&...

Locate link browser window problem on Windows 7
Every time I click on a link in an email in Outlook, a "locate link browser" window appears. There's a lot of help on the web to fix it for Win XP, but those steps don't appear to work for Windows 7. I tried pointing it to iexplorer.exe and the window isn't coming up anymore, but it just launches IE and my home page... not the link that was in the email. I've also tried setting the default browser to Firefox... and then the links in emails work. But, if I then try and set the defaul browser back to IE, clicking on a link in an email will launch IE...

Locate Link Browser error in Outlook
When I try to use a link from e-mail, the Browser stops and a Locate Link Browser dialog box appears pointing to "My Documents" folder on the destop. If I already have Explorer open I don't experience this error. How do i correct this so I can use a hyperlink from outlook? Thanks for any help! Jan The next time this happens, just browse to the folder with the .exe for your preferred browser. Click on Okay. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: janenicho...

locate link browser
Using Outlook 2003, IE 6 latest patches, no servers etc. When clicking on a url within email message, I get the locate link broswer query back ... this just started after downloading the latest security patch and junk email settings, not sure how that affects things What file / ddl should I be entering in response to the dialog box? Thanks Locate IEXPLORE.EXE and press OK -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Save Embedded Pictures in Their Original Format -Creat...

Locate Link Browser #7
I am using Windows 2000 Pro. as the OS on this computer and I have Office 2003 installed. Both products are fully updated. Several days ago I started seeing this strange behavior when I clicked on an embedded email link. When I clicked the link a small Windows Explorer box popped up with "Locate Link Browser" in the title bar. I found a Microsoft support article that gave a fix for the problem so I followed the instructions and sure enough it seemed to fix the problem. Then I suddenly was unable to open any Outlook links until I got a fix from Diane Poremsky on this forum. Aft...

Locate Link Browser?
When I go to click on a link in the emails I get a webpage that comes up but doesn't go anywhere and when I go back to my email I get Locate Link Browser it has never done this before and I've done every thing I can think of to get rid of this. However after I close the Locate Link Browser I go back to the email and click on the same link and it will open the webpage in the same webpage that was up unless I've closed it and then it does the Locate Link Browser thing. ...

Locate Link Browser #8
I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with Office 2003 SP2 (having now uninstalled Office 2007 beta). I commonly use Firefox as browser. I stupidly updated IE7 to 7.0.5730.11 and now, when I click a link in an email I get this message. I searched in Google and found the fix that I copy here: >> RESOLUTION To resolve this problem, follow these steps to clear the Use DDE check box: 1. Double-click My Computer. 2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options. 3. On the File Types tab, click URL:MailTo Protocol in the Registered File Types list, and then click Edit. 4. In the ...

locate link browser fixed
Using Windows XP HOme ... I reinstalled outlook 2003 and IE 6 again and that fixed the problem .. have no idea what was going on ... ...

Locate Link Browser #6
When I click a Web link in an e-mail message in Outlook 2003, the Web site opens in a browser window and the Locate Link Browser dialog box appears. I am using Windows XP. After research I was giving the following instructions 1. Double-click My Computer. 2. On the View menu, click Folder Options. 3. On the File Types tab, click URL:MailTo Protocol in the Registered File Types list, and then click Edit. 4. In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Edit. 5. Click to remove the Use DDE check box, and then click OK. 6. Click Close two times. I did thi...

Locate link browser #9
Would someone know where in Outlook is located this link browser? When asked by the system, I provided the wrong link (Outlook as a reader) and I would now like to replace it by Firefox. -- ah Never mind. Bug fixed. -- ah "ah" <anonewsgr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uLAnZj1eHHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Would someone know where in Outlook is located this link browser? When > asked by the system, I provided the wrong link (Outlook as a reader) and I > would now like to replace it by Firefox. > > -- > ah > ...

Locate link browser #5
I installed Firefox a while ago and then decided to go back to IE. After uninstalling Firefox I get a 'Locate Link Browser' window whenever I open a hyperlink in MS Outlook 2003. I have tried every solution I could find but they all seem temporary! The moment I restart the problem starts again. I'm desperate for help, it is driving me insane! Thanks. fixler fixler <fixler@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > I installed Firefox a while ago and then decided to go back to IE. > After uninstalling Firefox I get a 'Locate Link Browser' window > whenever I open a hyper...

Locate Link Browser #4
I've read all the possible solutions to the third window opening looking to locate the link browser. I've tried them and the issue keeps returning. I use IE and Netscape, however, I've used Netscape before without this issue. Any further recommendations? -- Glenn And how would we know, without a crystal, exactly WHAT previously suggested fixes you used??? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. Af...

Locate Link Browser #3
When I click on a hypertext link to a web site from within an email message, several things happen (not good). 1) The worst of them is that a Windows Explorer type windows comes up with a title of: "Locate Link Browser" and it opens in My Documents. 2) An Internet Explorer window comes up in the background. But, it really doesn't work. I mean I can't browse the web with it. 3) I get some popup type stating that it's running in compatability mode and not all features may work. I'm using Windows XP Pro, Office 2003 and Internet Explorer. How the heck do I fix ...

Locate Link Browser? #2
When clicking on a link contained in an e-mail in Outlook 2003 (installed on XP pro) a window titled "Locate Link Browser" opens then IE opens. The annoyance is that when IE is closed the LLB window needs to be canceled or Outlook is unusable. If I change my default browser to Maxthon (uses the IE engine) the problem goes away. What have I tried: 1) Reset web settings. 2)to control panel, folder options, file types tab > >Scroll down to the URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click advanced, click >edit >and make sure the following is in the application used to pe...

Locate Link Browser #2
Everytime in Outlook 2003 when I click on a link I get a file dialog box that opens. The title of the dialog bon is Locate Link Browser. When I search the knowledgebase for the problem, Article 821692, is returned. It's title is The Locate Link Browser Dialog Box Appears When You open a Web Link in an E-mail Message. This is my problem, but it relates the problem to Netscape Navigator 6.2, which I do not have loaded on my computer, nor is it set as the default browser. Can anyone offer me any insight as to how to fix this annoyance. Thank you. Elliot Have you already set ...

"locate link browser" window in Windows 7 and Outlook 2003
Every time I click on a link in an email in Outlook, a "locate link browser" window appears. There's a lot of help on the web to fix it for Win XP, but those steps don't appear to work for Windows 7. I tried pointing it to iexplorer.exe and the window isn't coming up anymore, but it just launches IE and my home page... not the link that was in the email. Can anyone help? KSieg wrote: > Every time I click on a link in an email in Outlook, a "locate link browser" > window appears. There's a lot of help on the web to fix it for Win...

"Locate Link Browser"
For the past couple of days, every time I click on an URL--the URL is launched in my default browser and I get a window with the title "Locate Link Browser" that has a default setting of an executable file. I don't think I've made any setting changes--but something is different. TIA it usually happens if you install firefox or another browser... the steps found at http://www.slipstick.com/problems/firefox.htm should fix it regardless of the cause -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual ...

Some email attachments wont open; "locate link browser" box instea
Instead of opening attachmens when I click on them, I get a dialog box "Locate Link Browser". What's wrong? How do I fix it to be able to open them? Philanthropy faclitator <Philanthropy faclitator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Instead of opening attachmens when I click on them, I get a dialog box > "Locate Link Browser". What's wrong? How do I fix it to be able to > open them? Use Google to search this group. The answer has been given multiple times. -- Brian Tillman Philanthropy faclitator <Philanthropy faclitator@discussions.m...

Cannot open email attachments
We currently are running WIndows XP 2002 with MS Outlook. When trying to open an email attachment we get a pop-up window telling us to "locate link browser". Can anyone help us with this? Browse to the location of Explore.exe or your preferred browser. Double click on it. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Chrissie asked: | We currently a...

"locate link browser" issue with Outlook 2003, but ONLY WITH OUTBIND in the URL
This is a case of the "Locate Link Browser" problem, but it is specific to emails received with URL's that contain Outbind in the address. I have been getting emails from AZFamily's website, AZFamily,com for several months. Since I switched to a new PC,whenever I click on their links to news stories, I get the "Locate Link Browser" dialog instead of the news story. I do not get the "Locate Link Browser" message for any other links within emails, nor do I have this problem when I use the browser itself. I have applied the usual fixes from Microsoft and/or...