Why can't I export "Distribution list" Ms outlook 2003? import Gmail

I am trying to export "Distribution list" contacts, in order to import
to gmail.   I found info on the web how to do that in different
ways.   The problem is I am able to export my normal contacts, but
contacts in my "Distribution list" do not appear in  my exported
file?   how can this be done?  I tried the csv, pst and txt and excel
method, but non of them give me my contacts found in "distribution
list".    any idea?  thanks.
0
lbbss

It can't be done. DL's have never survived exporting and importing and never
will.
--
Russ Valentine
"lbbss" <labicff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to export "Distribution list" contacts, in order to import
> to gmail.   I found info on the web how to do that in different
> ways.   The problem is I am able to export my normal contacts, but
> contacts in my "Distribution list" do not appear in  my exported
> file?   how can this be done?  I tried the csv, pst and txt and excel
> method, but non of them give me my contacts found in "distribution
> list".    any idea?  thanks.

0
Russ
12/22/2009 9:27:21 PM
In that case, is there any way to copy the emails from the
distribution list into my regular contacts?   So then they can be
exported.
0
lbbss
12/23/2009 4:31:06 AM
Not really. You can save it as a text file, convert it to CSV and import it.
--
> In that case, is there any way to copy the emails from the
> distribution list into my regular contacts?   So then they can be
> exported.

0
Russ
12/23/2009 11:03:12 AM
I tried that and it all worked with making the csv file, but when I
tried to import into gmail, it gives me an error.
0
Vlad
12/24/2009 3:16:36 AM
error, could not recognize file format.   In excel I had two columns,
one with name and the other with email address, then I saved it as a
csv format.  but gmail does not recognize it.
0
Vlad
12/24/2009 3:29:35 AM
Who said anything about gmail? How is that relevant?
--
Russ Valentine
"Vlad vlad" <abelvvvv@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I tried that and it all worked with making the csv file, but when I
> tried to import into gmail, it gives me an error.

0
Russ
12/24/2009 4:19:05 AM
What I am trying to do is save my outlook distribution list into a csv
file and then import it into gmail.
0
lbbss
12/24/2009 4:38:50 AM
Then ask gmail how and whether it supports importing CSV files. This has
nothing to do with Outlook.
--
> What I am trying to do is save my outlook distribution list into a csv
> file and then import it into gmail.

0
Russ

How does one set up a distribution list?
I have 11 contacts and I would like to put them in a DL to save me from selecting each one. 1. Click on Contacts 2. Click on Actions | New Distribution List 3. Add contacts "jvlh" <jvlh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5795BC1-C434-4019-A050-5DEA34E9C7C5@microsoft.com... >I have 11 contacts and I would like to put them in a DL to save me from > selecting each one. ...

How do I Import a distribution list from an email attachment
I am trying to save a distribution list from an email that someone sent me. I don't know how to do this without having to type in all of the contacts individually and then manually creating my own distribution list. Is there an easy way to do this? What version of Outlook are you using? What type of attachment is this? Excel document? Just a list of addresses in the body of the message? -- -Patrick Reed "golfgal" <golfgal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F6F1705-F219-46AA-B01E-096CDE82A3B9@microsoft.com... >I am trying to save a distributio...

!!OL 2003 errors when sending to large distribution list!!
I did not get any responses two weeks ago so I'll try it again. Does any one have any ideas on this? I have a client that just upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003. They were able to send a brochure done in Word to a large distribution list in Office 2000 now in Office 2003 when using the 'Send to' feature they get two errors. 1. an internal support function retruned an error. There is no indication of what the error is. 2. Can not perform the requested operation. The command is not valid for this Receipiant. Could not complet the operation. One or more parameter value...

Distribution Lists #3
I am creating distribution groups in Active Directory, but these do not show up in the Exchange Address Lists - even when left overnight. How do I get these to show in the address lists? Dave Francis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating distribution groups in Active Directory, but these do not show up in the Exchange Address Lists - even when left overnight. > >How do I get these to show in the address lists? A Distribution Group doesn't automatically get mail-enabled. Did you mail-enable the DG? -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange...

How to block a distribution list ?
Hi there, I'm using outlook 2000 and I would like to establish a rule like that where my name is in a distribution list Delete it. How do I do that ? Thanks, Oded Dror You can't as Outlook can't see that you are in the distributionlist. What are you trying to accomplish (and perhaps why?) and are you in an Exchange or home environment? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Oded Dror" <odeddror@cox.net> wrote in message news:%2372bdw...

copy distribution list to other domain
Hello All, I want to extract the OU "distribution groups" with everything in it, and also the members of each distribution type in it. If there's a possibility i then wan to import the list with mail groups and their members into another domain. Can anybody tell me who i cab get this to work? I would be very glad with a extract of the distribution list with their members. Regards, Scubabinkie. Look into using LDIFDE to export and then import. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237677 Nue <scubabinkie@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1151590074.383982.245630@75...

Distribution Lists as Security Grouping
Hello Newsgroup, Very quick question. Why is it that I am unable to use my Exchange DL in assigning permissions to a Public Folder? Setup: Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1 Windows 2003 Standard SP1 Thanks .... because Distribution Groups are not security principals, cannot be assigned permissions. .... use Security Groups. If you mail-enable them they get the same functionality as distribution lists as well. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------- "Kirrin Jones" <kirrinjones@gmail.com> wrote in message ne...

Distribution Lists Add Users
We host exchange for several companies and we have to add some Distribution lists for some of the companies. I create a distribution list but I am only allowed to add members that are within my AD. I would like to add members that are external email address out side of my AD. I know in exchange 5.5 I had to create a custom recipient and then add these recipeints to the DL. Is there an easy way to add these external emails ass members without having to make them users in my AD? josh wrote: > We host exchange for several companies and we have to add some > Distribution lists for...

distribution list is blank in offline mode? and how to export address book?
I found that when outlook 2003 is running in offline mode, the distribution list will be emtpy and I can not see any name in member list of the distribution list. How to download the detail of distribution list? 2nd question: how to export outlook 2003 address book to a file? Thx a lot. Bill Is the distribution list from your contacts folder or the global address list? The reason that I ask is that if the distribution list is a contact folder, it is very possible that a full item sync hasn't been performed and you are just looking at the header of an item when in Outlook is in o...

make a distribution list from a named category(in contact list)
I've created a category name from certain contacts...can I use that category name to directly create a distribution list? What happens now is when I'm adding to the dist. list, the contact list shows up, but the category "field" doesn't show up in the list, so its hard to remember which contact is in which category. Thanks -David If you are using categories, why be redundant and use a DL? Drag the category to your inbox and your distribution is set. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited m...

Distribution List Creation on OUTLOOK 2002 with Exchange Server
I am having this problem on several systems after the upgrade to SBS2K with Exchange Server 2K. I saved the Personal Folder contact list as a pst file and imported them to the contacts folder unfer the exchange mailbox. When I open the Mailbox contacts,. they are all there, however, when I attempt to make a distribution list from those contacts all the names are not there. If I manually go to the Send Optiopn under a new email, I can pull up the Global Address List, which shows the internal users on the Network, but when I click on the Contacts underneath, it says the folder has been moved or...

Distribution lists no longer working
Hey folks any input appreciated here... 2 Exch2K3 servers in 1 administrative group. Mailboxes and distribution lists for users in office two were recently migrated from 1 server to the other. Since then users on server1 can no longer send to distribution groups on server2 which contain users whose mailboxes reside on server2. When using Outlook 2000 (XP or 2003 as well) clicking the TO button and browsing the global address list I see the distribution groups, but when looking at the properties of the group none of the migrated groups have any members displayed in the members box on the rig...

In an Outlook Distribution List, How do I display Last Name First
In Outlook, I use Contacts to store my E-Mail ID's with names. When I use the Distribution List, it creates a display of two fields, Name and E-Mail. In the Name field is the "Full Name", first name then last name followed by Parenthisis E-Mail ID. The E-Mail field is the E-Mail ID again. I would like the "Name" field to show Last Name First, as I have my database arranged. Also, when I select a new member, the allowable entries show the Full Name field, first name then last name. I'd like this to show Last Name first also. How can these format changes...

Outlook 2000 won't allow rule from distribution list?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C523C5.032A7210 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I try to create a rule for a distribution list I get:=20 "Name of distribution list' is a personal distribution list that may not = be used with this feature. Would you like to use the individual members = of Name of distribution list' ' instead?"=20 I'm running Outlook 2000 on Window 2000 WS standalone, no exchange. How = do I fix this? Pretty shoddy software if I can'...

PING distribution list
Hi there, I would like to test the distribution group in Exchange 2003 or 5.5. I would NOT like to send a email to all members of the distribution list, so is there a way just to, sort of, PING the group and then to get pingbacks, successful or unsuccessful, from members for the group. Best regards, IVAN Aloha ivan.bojat@gmail.com, What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you somehow unsure that the AD members in your DistGroup are valid? -Ben- Ben M. Schorr - MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.ht...

Operation Failed when inviting distribution lists to meetings
Hi, We're using Exchange 5.5 + SP4 and Outlook 2000. For some reason regular users cannot invite distribution lists from the global address list to th meetings. When they select the list, they get "Operation failed", they click OK and the dist.list is added to the attendees list but the free+busy is not updated and only diagonal bars are seen. These users can invite the users separately one by one without problem. The only problem is with the dist. lists. How can I solve the problem? Thanks in advance, Haim Beyhan remove_haimb@enigma.com (delete remove_ in order to send mail)...

exchange 5.5 Distribution List size
When trying to add a new contact to a distribution list (exchange 5.5), one of our users is getting the error message "The distribution list has reached the maximum size for your network email server". There is already about 200 contacts in this distribution list. I've been unable to find out how to cure this. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks. Dan... you're speaking about a personal distribution list...there is a limit...I read somewhere that it was 165 members of a personal dl...nothing to do about this except to "nest" smaller dls into another one... &q...

CC automatically from distribution list
I am trying to set up a distribution list and trying to automatically cc people from this list (but now all). Is there someway to do this or a macro that can allow this to happen. ...

Entries in a distribution list
Does anyone know how to place the entries in a distribution list in a customized way, i don't want then in alphabetical order. How can i keep them in the order i select it? Thank, Cristina fermina acelga <acelga6@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote: > Does anyone know how to place the entries in a distribution list in a > customized way, i don't want then in alphabetical order. > > How can i keep them in the order i select it? You can't. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Outlook 2007 Cumulative Update: is the limit on the number of members of private distribution lists finally gone?
Hello, I think I read that the Outlook 2007 Cumulative Update released a couple of weeks ago removes the limit on the number of members that a distribution list in a user's Contacts folder could have - does anyone know if that it is indeed correct? I can't find any direct reference to it on the web so maybe I misunderstood. It's very important to us because we're migrating from another mail system where users had private lists with hundreds of members and we've had to tell them to use categories instead. Thanks to anyone who could confirm this, - Alan. "Alan"...

Distribution List
Hi Our GAL has a number of Distribution Lists. Right now, all the DLs are visible and accessible by everyone in Exchange. Is it possible to set up so that a particular DL can only be visible to a specific user (or group of users) ? Thanks Steve ...

Bold the query based distribution lists in GAL
Just curious if anyone knows of a way to make the query based distribution lists appear bold in the GAL? Since our GAL contains query based lists and 'static' lists I would like all of them to appear in bold if possible. TIA! On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:10:23 -0800, "Papa" <Papa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just curious if anyone knows of a way to make the query based distribution >lists appear bold in the GAL? Since our GAL contains query based lists and >'static' lists I would like all of them to appear in bold if possible. > >TIA! I d...

How to make distribution list from database.
Hi. I have a database containing 3000 members. Every week we send a mail to all members - this is done manually. Is it possible to extract the mail address from the database and put them in a distribution list, witch we can send our newsletter to. My thought is that this can be an automatic process. Regards Morten. A query based DL could do the job. "morten" wrote: > Hi. > > I have a database containing 3000 members. Every week we send a mail to > all members - this is done manually. Is it possible to extract the mail > address from the database and put them...

Cannot Change Distribution List Membership Though Outlook
I've got something misconfigured on my Exchange Server (2003), but I don't know where to look to fix it. We've got a multi-domain setup where all mail servers are running in the top level domain. We've created additional Recipient Policies for each sub-domain and the sub-domains have had /domainprep run on them to update their AD Schemas. Mail routing works fine as does any other day-to-day operation. The exception has to do with distribution list managers not being able to update the membership of any DL they manage. I've made sure that each DL has a manager se...

Remove mailbox from Everyone distribution list?
I have a mailbox user that I do NOT want to be part of the "everyone" distribution list. I don't want to make it a "hidden" mailbox since I do want people to send emails to him. Any ideas if this is possible? I'm on Exch 5.5 in a Windows 2000 environment. thanks "Pablo" <pmosca@citizensconferencing.com> wrote in news:1fdc01c44a45 $8113e4e0$7d02280a@phx.gbl: > I have a mailbox user that I do NOT want to be part of > the "everyone" distribution list. I don't want to make it > a "hidden" mailbox since I do want...