Sharing Contact Categories in public folders on an exchange server

I'm new to Outlook and Exchange Servers and am trying to get up to speed on
Sharing and Creating Contact Folders, and Categories.  If a User creates a
new contact folder or a new category within a public folder are they visible
to all who have access to the public folder?  If so, is there access limited
to visibility or can they edit or add a contact to the folder and assign a
category?

Whether a user can add/edit folders or contacts depends on the permissions
you give the user.

Categories are added to the user's master category list, which isn't visible
for others. However, if you pick a category from your master category list
and add it to a contact, it is visible for others.

If you want all the users sharing one master category list, you need to
create the same list on all of the computers. Category Manager does that for
you, for details see the link in my signature please.

--
Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

Am Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:07:02 -0700 schrieb VBA2010:

> I'm new to Outlook and Exchange Servers and am trying to get up to speed
on
> Sharing and Creating Contact Folders, and Categories.  If a User creates a
> new contact folder or a new category within a public folder are they
visible
> to all who have access to the public folder?  If so, is there access
limited
> to visibility or can they edit or add a contact to the folder and assign a
> category?
0
Michael

Shared folders on a shared exchange 2003
I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the actual company. /C COZ <kofo@spamspamspam.org> wrote: >I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. >But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? >The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the >actual company. Make sure the "client permissions" you assign to the folder doesn't include the &...

Exchange 5.5
We are in the process of planning a migration from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. As part of the pre migration tasks, I want to tidy up the number of public folders we have. I have a problem though. There are a number of public folders that show up, that were hosted on a now decomissioned (as we sold that part of the business) servers. So when you try to view the properties of the foler you can't, as the folder was on the old server. I then cannot delete the public folder! How can i get rid of the reference to the old public folder(s) on our current Exchange servers? Thanks On Thu, 1...

Assign a task from a Public Folder to another user
Hello, I am trying to organize a large scale tasks tickler system where everyone can view the master task list and where senior managers can can assign tasks to subordinates. My first approach was to create the task folder in a public folder. Much to my dismay there doesn't seem to be any way to assign the task to another user and still monitor the task in the master public folder task list. First there was no "assign task" command on the toolbar. After adding the "assign task" icon I discovered that the task was added to my personal task list vice the master task li...

Importing Contacts linked with accounts
Hi, I do not succed in importing contacts linked with accounts. I use the bulk import wizard tool. (I have 1000 contact to import) 1/ I import first accounts (name + adresses) 2/ Then I import contacts. I try to link contacts with the account name. (parent Account field). I try to link the contact with accounts using the name of "Parent Account" name. But this fails. I cannot import anything How can I create a link between Accounts and contact with the Bulk import wizard ? Thank you for your help. Pascal One way of doing this is to try something like this: 1. Go to SQL ...

Exchange 5.5 ETRN
Hello all; I have an Exchange 5.5 server, and dedicated Internet access. I need to use Exchange's ETRN feature only for the rare occasion when/if my Exchange server becomes unavailable to the rest of the world (server crashes, T1 goes down, etc). I will have my ISP be the second MX preference for my domain so if/when our mail server goes down, mail will be delivered to (and queue'd by) my ISP's mail server. My question is... how do you configure your Exchange 5.5 server to periodically send an ETRN to my ISP's mail host and check for messages? I'm thinking that it sh...

Sharing Calendar, can you share contacts too?
We have an administrative secretary, who maintains 3 high level administrator's calendars... we use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003, she opens their shared calendars and edits them... Maybe I'm overlooking a really simple answer... but is there a way she could similarly edit their personal address books (they all use palm pilots and want their own individual contact lists).... Any ideas appreciated... Thanks! Sure, just need to delegate rights to those folders and she can "Open Other user's Folder" and choose Contacts. "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontg...

Shared Workbook Query
Hi, I have set up a shared workbook for 20+ users. I am aware that share workbooks in Excel (I have version 2002) have limited functionality an that you cannot for example merge cells. However, if there are merged cells in another worksheet and someon wants to copy across text (which includes merged cells) into the share workbook it removes the merged formatting. At present I have to take the share off the workbook and then cop across the data (which includes merged cells) then reshare the workboo so that the formatting is maintained. Is there any other way around this problem so that peo...

Sharing Outlook between profiles?
I am running a 2k server (no exchange server) and need the laptops that connect into the domain to be able to view and send emails when connected, and when disconnected. The laptops have just been reloaded after using Novell. The advantage of the novell client was that it used the same local profile for connecting into the domain, and when using the workstation only. With the 2k server however, it uses one profile for the domain, and one for the local workstation. This is where Outlook 2000 is falling over... Please help... ...

Cannot share calendar
Hi I'm trying to setup a user so that she can view someone else's calendar. I have been able to give her access to other peoples calendars, however i can't give her access to one particular user. even though other people can access that particular users calendar. I have given her all the relevent permissions needed to do so in exchange 2000 and at the target machine, but still an error msg of "you do not have sufficiant permisions to view this item" is given. Don't know what else to do....HELP Thank you Don't grant permissions in the Exchange server its...

Calendar as a Public Folder
Can someone tell me how to setup a public folder as a Calendar? I have seen it in the past, but do not know how to set it up. John: Please see the microsoft.public.exchange.setup thread titled "setting up shared/public calendar" dated Wednesday, August 18, 2004. Regards, Martin "John Barr" <jbarr@toobrands.com> wrote in message news:219701c48612$84d08d50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can someone tell me how to setup a public folder as a > Calendar? I have seen it in the past, but do not know how > to set it up. Hi John, Assuming you have everything setup a...

Outlook Contacts Setup Help Needed
I recently reinstalled Windows XP Pro on my computer and then reinstalled Outlook 2003 and updated everything. I saved my old outlook.pst file and put it back where it belongs. My contacts show up in contacts and my email is in the right place. I setup my account info and everything is working fine except when I send a new message and then click on "To" field I get the following error message "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted or you do not have permissions. F...

two PC's connecting to a single email account on Exchange 2003
I have setup a user with a office and a home PC. When the home PC's Outlook was configured it received the email from the Exchange server, but now the old email messages don't show up in Outlook on the office PC. I don't think this is normal and it seems like it is probably an easy fix, but I am not sure where to look. Any suggestions will help. Thanks, Giff it was most likely downloaded to a personal folder. How is the person accessing the mailbox from home? pop3? that is the problem. You'd be better off with a VPN setup...that way, all the mail can stay in the E...

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

Multiple identical contact entries
Hello, Can anyone help me with this strange situation? On Outlook 2003, with ActivCard Gold 3.0, when a digitally signed message comes in and I open it I consistently receive a pop up message stating: You are reading a signed or encrypted email. To send an encrypted reply to the sender of this email, create a contact with the senders email address. Do you want to create a contact with this senders email address? Then I hit "ok" to save the entry in contact. When I receive another digitally signed message, from the same individual I receive the same pop up message. If I hit &quo...

calender sharing
I recently upgraded to XP op sys and alongwith it to MS Office 2003. In MS Office 2000, I used to share my private Outlook folders (Calendar, Contacts etc.) with my assistant . With this upgrade to MS Office, I lost the sharing ability. If I right click on any of these components (Calendar, Contacts etc.) the "Sharing" feature is shaded (disabled). How do I share these private folders? If you are talking about NetFolders then this feature was dropped after Outlook 2000 check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for some options "KAH" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Exchange 5.5 Migration #2
Hi, We are running the Exchange 5.5 with Windows NT now. I few weeks time, we will going to migration the Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 Server. Is there any procedure or document that I can find in order to perform this migration? Thank You. Chiew Mann In-place migration or on new hardware? Chiew Mann wrote: > Hi, > > We are running the Exchange 5.5 with Windows NT now. I > few weeks time, we will going to migration the Exchange > 5.5 to Windows 2000 Server. > > Is there any procedure or document that I can find in > order to perform this migration? > > T...

Mailing Labels from Contacts
I understand how to create a mail merge document using Outlook 2002 and Word 2002 but... It would be very convienient to have a way of creating a single address label directly from an open contact similar to the "Actions | New letter to contact" choice. Is there any way of doing this? I don't see anything in the customize menu to add this option. ...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...

Event ID 7010 between EX2003 servers
Hello. I have noticed this event in my log file: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: SMTP Protocol Event ID: 7010 Date: 12-05-2004 Time: 01:00:07 User: N/A Computer: EXGW Description: This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #122. The client at "10.192.0.11" sent a "xexch50" command, and the SMTP server responded with "504 Need to authenticate first ". The full command sent was "xexch50 2132 2". This will probably cause the connection to fail. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.c...

Connecting to a shared SSRS data source from BIDS
I'm just starting out using BIDS and creating reports in general. I've been using Report Builder and have no trouble accessing a shared SSRS data source by specifying the Report Server (http://<Server>/ReportServer) in the Options...Settings, from there I can view and use any predefined data source in a report. How do I specify in BIDS that I wish to use a preconfigured shared data source from SSRS, I can't see any obvious option. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks David David, Hopefully when you connect your report to a shared datasource in design t...

RemoteApp is the solution to share .pst files
RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst files over in local network or the internet! At last, no need for Exchange. ss. Alas, still not supported for .psts on a network share. Use at your own = risk. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message = news:%23sexHtIuIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst fi...

Exchange Deployment Tools (Invalid Char)
Exch5.5 to 2003 migration. I run Exchange Deployment Tools and choose Deploy First Exch Server, Coexistence with Exch5.5. I'm stuck at phase 1, step 3 - Run DSScopeScan and OrgNameCheck. All resulting logs look ok except 1 thing where it says (in orgnamecheck.log): #*** Organization and Site Names Check began: 05/16/2006 15:26:17 Server name: exch55server ***# Warning: Organization or Site Relative Distinguished Name (RDN) 'Company Name , Inc' in the Exchange 5.5 directory contains a leading space, a trailing space, one or more of ,=+<>#\"*() characters, or too many qu...

SOLUTION: Unable to logon to the server. Please verify that server name, port, account name, and password are all correct.
If you are receiving the following error from Exchange Server Migration Wizard I a the solution that worked for me after digging and digging and not able to find the problem. ERROR: Verify that server name, port, account name, and password are all correct. I was hung up this problem.... Go to the Exchange 5.5 server Exchange Administrator, go to Protocols / LDAP and check the port number. Mine had been changed from 389 (default) to 390. I probably did it but missed this completely looking through the problem, certainly didn't know the solution of specifying LDAP server port in the wizar...

shared workbook
I have a shared workbook. Once in a while, I cannot uncheck the allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This option in the shared workbook under the tools menu is grayed out. Other times this option is available. Can someone please tell me why this option becomes unavailable. ...

Share your Sharing Wisdom
I hope someone can help me out here. In my Outlook I have tons of subordinate folders within Outlook Today and my Inbox. I literally have 104 to be exact. My question is how can I share all of these to another user so they can access EVERYTHING? I know how to give them permission and add my account to their Outlook view but how can I apply permissions to all of the folders instead of doing them one by one? Please help me if you can. I'm scared of the possibility of a daunting task the looms in my forecast. I sincerely appreciate any and all effort one provides in resolving...