restoring .pst file

I have looked at all of the information about this topic, but it isn't
working. My calendar on Outlook has lost all of its old entries.  I cannot
find the scanpst.exe file on this computer, although I have checked "show
hidden files."  I tried to download the file, but it says it can't run it
because it is missing another file.

I run Vista on this computer.  Any help wil be appreciated.

"dhodges103" <dhodges103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have looked at all of the information about this topic, but it isn't
> working. My calendar on Outlook has lost all of its old entries.  I cannot
> find the scanpst.exe file on this computer, although I have checked "show
> hidden files."  I tried to download the file, but it says it can't run it
> because it is missing another file.
>
> I run Vista on this computer.  Any help wil be appreciated.

Open Windows Explorer.  If you are using Outlook 2003 or earlier on an English
Windows installation, enter the following in the Address field:
%CommonProgramFIles%\system\MSMAPI\1033
Click Go.

If you are using Outlook 2007, enter the following in the Address field:
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12
Click Go.

You should find SCANPST.EXE alreday installed.  It's installed automatically
when you install Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
12/1/2009 9:15:33 PM
Hi,
Why not try a 3rd part tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can
download a free demo version at  http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe
.. I think it is a useful repair tool for you. It is easy to recover
your PST file by using its wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover
messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft
Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

Wangdong
0
wangdong

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

pst backup
If there is a way to automate pst file backup and log the successfull completion of the backup (maybe by sending an E-mail to administrator) Microsoft add on just remind about the backup and you have to manually click the button to start the backup. Some people recommend to use xcopy. I have a feeling that at some point I will get access violation (even though when Outlook is closed) Thank you You should be able to set the interval, using the addin, and automate the process. Or; http://www.handybackup.com/index.html http://www.avantrix.com/ David "ot" <ottdt@yahoo.com> ...

Access XP and CHM Help Files
Hi I have just started creating a CHM file and associating it with the various forms, controls etc. by using context and helpfile properties. Problem is that when the file is opened from Access, all the search functionality looks towards Access help and not my help file. The contents/help structure displays OK but any keywords etc. don't get picked up in searches. Is there a solution to this limitation (seems pretty stupid to not be able to search the application specific help just coz the file was called via object properties in an Access frontend) that doesn't involve me hav...

Corrupted file
I lost all my data from my hard drive but have managed to recover most of it. One of the Excel files is reported as corrupted by Excel when I try to open it. The file was created and last with Office 2000 but I have now got Office XP 2002 installed. Is there a way of 'un-corrupting' this file? Sometimes xl2002 will open files that previous versions couldn't. (and sometimes it can't open them either!) OpenOffice may be able to open it, too. (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD) Lots of people have reported good luck with it. But who knows with any sp...

Sending picture/bmap files through LoNo
Hi I have a problem using VBA to send a bitmap (picture would do) in an email (Lotus Notes). I have code that does this: Dim bodytext As Object Range("A1:L36").Select Selection.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Format:=xlBitmap bodytext = ActiveSheet.Paste later on... MailDoc.body = bodytext But the email does not paste the picture, instead it is just blank? Can anyone help me? David ...

Excel docs won't open from clicking file
I have a strange issue us Excel 2002. When I double-click on an excel document it only open the excel program and not the doc. I can then go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc. Excel seems to be OK other than this strange issue. Word and the other office programs don't do this at all??? I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their associated open commands etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks- Hi Have a look at Tools/Option/General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications' if it's checked. Andy. "jayman" ...

Outlook OST file
Hello: I need assistance on importing or extracting the data from an ost file. Does anyone know how to convert or extract the data from an ost file to something I can manipulate or view my data? Thanks, Shawn There used to be a tool called OST2PST.EXE that would export Offline Storage (OST) files into Personal Storage (PST) format. I believe this has now become "Exchange Recovery". Try going to www.google.com and searching for OST2PST for information. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01da01...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Unable to move my file to a new computer
I recently installed 2005 deluxe, and 2 weeks later purchased a new computer and I am unable to transfer the file to my new computer. I have tried to copy the .mny file the backup file to my new computer but am unable to to have money open it after I put my password in. It says it is either write protected (which I do not believe it is),or other types of errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spent a lot of time on this issue. Tom Third time in twenty minutes. What was Microsoft thinking? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177. It should help. "TD" <...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Importing a PST File #2
Further to my previous Posts. 1. I have backed up the outlook.pst file to CD using NERO 2. I have restored the outlook.pst file to a seperate folder 3. I have checked the file attribute and made sure the archive bit is off 4. I have run the scanpst program over the outlook.pst file. SCANPST came up with a large number of errors (I have the file). An example is: !!PMap page @6112768: PTYPE mismatch (read 00, expected 83) !!PMap page @6112768: BID mismatch (read 0, expected 5D4600) When I open or import the outlook.pst file, there are 2 empty folders... recovered and deleted. Any s...

File In Use
When I open an Excel 2003 workbook I sometimes get a dialog box that says "File In Use - filename.xls is locked for editing by "user". Even though no one on the network has it open. I have to log off and log back in to get the file to open. Any ideas why this happens? Thanks. Sometimes cleaning up your temp folder will help. Excel puts some files there when you open a workbook. If excel (or windows) crashes, these files aren't cleaned up. And with some operating systems, you can do alt-ctrl-delete and view the tasks that are running. If you have a hidden instance ...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Can't open files on more than one computer
I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but when I tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time I received a error message. The error was telling me that the file was in use by another computer and would not open. I thought that was the reason I created the template file in the first place but I Guess I was wrong. Having told the children that we were going to make a Christmas card I needed to come up with a solution to this problem so I saved the card on a disk and went around the room and opened the file and to save time I made three copy’s o...

Bringing up Old Files in Excel 2003
Hi: I just installed Office 2003. I tried to bring up an old file and it will not come up. It gives me a message about it having a virus (which it does not have). How can I get the old file to come up? Thanks Is the message you get more like "this workbook contains macros, which could contain viruses" or similar? You don't say which version of Excel files are "old", but you may have been running Excel97 with "macro checking" turned off or 2000 with macro security at "low". Tools>Options>Security. Check your settings. Turn to "low...

Not able to open .pst file in Outlook 2007
Hi, I am trying to open Outlook 2003 .pst file in Office 2007. However, it is giving me this error: Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using. Pls help. ________________________________________ " If you think you can, and if you think you can't, then you are right"- Henry ford How are you trying to open the PST file? Run Outlook 2007 then use File | Open ..... -- Bill R MVP "Shilps" <shilpi_sri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FBE11110-4F8A-4926-9020-F222ADAEDD63@microsoft.com... &...

Print Visio file without having Visio installed
How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio installed? I want to allow others to print the file without reduced quality. When printing to pdf-format, the quality degrades and when inserting into Word I can't get the background page to show. have you considered HTML (they could use the browser) or the Visio Viewer? Al "Pete" <Pete@nomail.com> wrote in message news:dAbKb.52$jR.50@news.get2net.dk... > How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio > installed? > > I want to allow others to print the file witho...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

File names do not appear when trying to export to any file type except .pst
I am having trouble getting help to determine what the problem is in my Outlook. Outlook is 2003. When I try to export to any file type other than .pst, the files window appears empty. Only when I click .pst for the file to export to, do I get folders within Outlook. I suspect that some registry entries are missing in that I found some missing when I tried to export to text from Access. When I hand entered entried to the registry, copying them from another machine, everything started to work. Since this seems to be an esoteric problem, I don't quite know where to turn to get some ans...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

PST Format
I have Outlook 2003 and I am not sure if I am still using the old .pst file from 2000 or if I am using the new format that can grow to a much larger size than the old format. How do I tell which one I'm using? Thanks, Peter "Alias" <iamalias@NUKEgmail.com> wrote in message news:usuY6cdkJHA.6060@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have Outlook 2003 and I am not sure if I am still using the old .pst file >from 2000 or if I am using the new format that can grow to a much larger >size than the old format. How do I tell which one I'm using? Right-click on the ro...

.log Files?
I have a Win2k + E2k server setup. I have noticed that my available drive space keeps getting smaller. After further investigation I have noticed that Exchange is created 3 to 4 .log files a day, all in the 5+mb range. They are stored in c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata folder and all follow the naming convention of E0000???.log Where the ??? look to be sequential hex numbers. 1. Why does Exchange create these log files and what is their purpose? 2. Do I need these log files for any reason? 3. How can I turn it off so it doesn't eat 100+mb of disk space every week? Thanks!! ...

xml file data source
I would like to run SELECT SQL queries against DataTable's in my DataSet which has been initialized with ReadXml. Has anyone done this? What is the connect string, provider, etc? How? DataSet is a disconnected in memory cache of data. Irrespective of how you populate it, you can always use a DataView or the Select method on DataTable to query it. Look here [1] for examples. Specifically [2] --VV [MS] vascov@microsoft.com [1] http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/ [2] http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/doc/adoplus/FilterData.aspx "Dirk" <d> wrote ...

Low Level Text File Printing
I am using Access 2003, VBA, and am trying to create a comma delimited text file. I am having a problem with a CF + LF put at the end of each print command. Because I have a lot of fields, I need to break each line up into several PRINT statements. Since Print ends with the CF+LF character , each line is being broken up into several lines. Can I prevent Print from appending a CF+LF? Is there another command which does not append CF+LF? An example is below. It should be one line, but it is coming out as two. Thanks Mike Thomas strLine = "The first part of the line -- &quo...