Outlook 2003, Windows 7, crashing on Reminders

Hi All.

I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my new Windows 7 machine.  All is fine in
Outlook until the reminder window needs to pop up.  As soon as it does, with
maybe a second delay, the entire computer seizes and I need to power off to
reboot.  None of the reminders actually load/display in the pop-up Reminders
window, though the title bar for the pop-up starts to count the number but
stalls on "1 Reminder".

Running Outlook in "safe" mode is just fine.  The reminders pop-up opens no
problem and I just continue working.  Running in "normal" mode, as long as
there's no event/reminder scheduled, everything is fine.  If I can quickly
open the calendar and delete the event before the reminder pops up, all is
fine until the next reminder is triggered.  If in "safe" mode I snooze the
event once it pops up, and then close & open Outlook again in "normal", I
have the same seizure issue once the reminder is triggered again.

Any suggestions?  I've tried playing with the compatability
settings/troubleshooter to no avail -- running it in different XP settings
(though this is a clean install of Win7), running it as administrator, etc.

Help!!!!

Thanks.

Eric

Open Outlook in Safe Mode and disable all add-ins.  Then, start Outlook
normally, re-enable your add-ins one at a time, closing and starting Outlook
each time until you find the culprit.  Once found, either uninstall it or
update it from the website where you got it from.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, ercanrua asked:

| Hi All.
|
| I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my new Windows 7 machine.  All is fine
| in Outlook until the reminder window needs to pop up.  As soon as it
| does, with maybe a second delay, the entire computer seizes and I
| need to power off to reboot.  None of the reminders actually
| load/display in the pop-up Reminders window, though the title bar for
| the pop-up starts to count the number but stalls on "1 Reminder".
|
| Running Outlook in "safe" mode is just fine.  The reminders pop-up
| opens no problem and I just continue working.  Running in "normal"
| mode, as long as there's no event/reminder scheduled, everything is
| fine.  If I can quickly open the calendar and delete the event before
| the reminder pops up, all is fine until the next reminder is
| triggered.  If in "safe" mode I snooze the event once it pops up, and
| then close & open Outlook again in "normal", I have the same seizure
| issue once the reminder is triggered again.
|
| Any suggestions?  I've tried playing with the compatability
| settings/troubleshooter to no avail -- running it in different XP
| settings (though this is a clean install of Win7), running it as
| administrator, etc.
|
| Help!!!!
|
| Thanks.
|

| Eric

0
Milly
1/1/2010 9:44:29 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Milly, but I actually don't have any add-ins.
Never did.

A side-note is that when I check my "safe" mode Outlook under Help |
About... | Disabled Items...  I don't see that anything has been disabled in
"safe" mode.  That surprised me a little as I thought I'd re-enable things
one at a time -- kind of like your add-ins suggestion -- to see if I could
find something causing the issue but that's a great big "oh well" in that
respect.

Any further thoughts -- Anyone? -- most assuredly appreciated.

Eric

"ercanrua" wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my new Windows 7 machine.  All is fine in
> Outlook until the reminder window needs to pop up.  As soon as it does, with
> maybe a second delay, the entire computer seizes and I need to power off to
> reboot.  None of the reminders actually load/display in the pop-up Reminders
> window, though the title bar for the pop-up starts to count the number but
> stalls on "1 Reminder".
>
> Running Outlook in "safe" mode is just fine.  The reminders pop-up opens no
> problem and I just continue working.  Running in "normal" mode, as long as
> there's no event/reminder scheduled, everything is fine.  If I can quickly
> open the calendar and delete the event before the reminder pops up, all is
> fine until the next reminder is triggered.  If in "safe" mode I snooze the
> event once it pops up, and then close & open Outlook again in "normal", I
> have the same seizure issue once the reminder is triggered again.
>
> Any suggestions?  I've tried playing with the compatability
> settings/troubleshooter to no avail -- running it in different XP settings
> (though this is a clean install of Win7), running it as administrator, etc.
>
> Help!!!!
>
> Thanks.
>

> Eric
Safe mode just disabled the addins  and doesn't load some files, but it
won't list them in disabled items because they are only disabled
temporarily.  Did you try starting outlook with the cleanreminders switch?

if you need help using cleanreminders switch, see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/switches.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"ercanrua" <ercanrua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your thoughts, Milly, but I actually don't have any add-ins.
> Never did.
>
> A side-note is that when I check my "safe" mode Outlook under Help |
> About... | Disabled Items...  I don't see that anything has been disabled
> in
> "safe" mode.  That surprised me a little as I thought I'd re-enable things
> one at a time -- kind of like your add-ins suggestion -- to see if I could
> find something causing the issue but that's a great big "oh well" in that
> respect.
>
> Any further thoughts -- Anyone? -- most assuredly appreciated.
>

> Eric
>
> "ercanrua" wrote:
>
>> Hi All.
>>
>> I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my new Windows 7 machine.  All is fine in
>> Outlook until the reminder window needs to pop up.  As soon as it does,
>> with
>> maybe a second delay, the entire computer seizes and I need to power off
>> reboot.  None of the reminders actually load/display in the pop-up
>> Reminders
>> window, though the title bar for the pop-up starts to count the number
>> but
>> stalls on "1 Reminder".
>>
>> Running Outlook in "safe" mode is just fine.  The reminders pop-up opens
>> no
>> problem and I just continue working.  Running in "normal" mode, as long
>> as
>> there's no event/reminder scheduled, everything is fine.  If I can
>> quickly
>> open the calendar and delete the event before the reminder pops up, all
>> is
>> fine until the next reminder is triggered.  If in "safe" mode I snooze
>> the
>> event once it pops up, and then close & open Outlook again in "normal", I
>> have the same seizure issue once the reminder is triggered again.
>>
>> Any suggestions?  I've tried playing with the compatability
>> settings/troubleshooter to no avail -- running it in different XP
>> settings
>> (though this is a clean install of Win7), running it as administrator,
>> etc.
>>
>> Help!!!!
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Eric

0
Diane

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

How to become Administrator of a usergroup (Windows XP sp 2)
In my office we have 6 computers which are connected by a Hub. I have created a user group call "CECILIYAN". I have connected internet one port of that hub. So any one can access to Internet in that group. Now I want to make my PC as the Administrator of this user group. And I should be able to control other PCs by blocking USB Pen drives & Internet Access & other things. Please let me know how to do it. Is there any third party tool or registry editing or any way to control that things Thank you. On 7/17/2010 9:58 AM, Booli wrote: > In my office we have 6 co...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...