Bring back simple calendar color labels for outlook appointments.

The consolidation of Outlook labels and categories in 07 as compared to 03
results in having to use many more mouse clicks to apply basic color codes to
outlook calendar appointments.  I use as many as 30 categories for various
projects and office jobs that change over time and whose colors would not be
useful to try to remember or apply to appointments.  Rather, being able to
code a few simple colors for things like "in office appointment" "out of
office but in town appointment" "personal reminder," "out of town travel
hold," "office work hold," or "vacation" helps me see at a glance where I am
suppose to be and whether the particular calendar item is a hard commitment,
flexible, or just a good idea that might move easily.  To do that with
categories in 2007 requires many more mouse clicks to select among my large
number of categories than applying simple labels in 2003 and prior.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9a157644-5024-4e32-8c02-8720914db593&dg=microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring

It's definitely not coming back in Outlook 2010.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Jcam" <Jcam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The consolidation of Outlook labels and categories in 07 as compared to 03
> results in having to use many more mouse clicks to apply basic color codes
> outlook calendar appointments.  I use as many as 30 categories for various
> projects and office jobs that change over time and whose colors would not
> be
> useful to try to remember or apply to appointments.  Rather, being able to
> code a few simple colors for things like "in office appointment" "out of
> office but in town appointment" "personal reminder," "out of town travel
> hold," "office work hold," or "vacation" helps me see at a glance where I
> am
> suppose to be and whether the particular calendar item is a hard
> commitment,
> flexible, or just a good idea that might move easily.  To do that with
> categories in 2007 requires many more mouse clicks to select among my
> large
> number of categories than applying simple labels in 2003 and prior.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9a157644-5024-4e32-8c02-8720914db593&dg=microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring

0
Diane

Outlook Calendar, 3 pop quiz questions...
Am using Outlook 2002 Calendar, wondered if someone might have experienced these and had suggestions, thanks: -1) DRAGGING ONLY DOES TODAY? If I DRAG a recurring event at let's say "Check email at 9am every day" to a new time like 10am, Calendar only moves today's event. Is there an *easy* way to make it apply to all recurrences, like the way Palm OS does it.you just drag it, it asks if you want it to apply to today or entire series, you answer, and that's that. -2) 15-EVENT MAX? Seems like if there are more than 15 all-day events (known as untimed events in Palm...

Excel 2000 Tab Color
Is there a way to change the worksheet tab colors in Excel 2000. I thought that I had done this is the past, but can't seem to find a way to do it now. Hi Bigkahuna Not possible Excel 2002 is the first version with this option -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Bigkahuna" <Bigkahuna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA916825-2DF3-410B-B0BC-0AF5861762FF@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to change the worksheet tab colors in Excel 2000. I thought > that I had done this is the past, but can't seem to find a way to do it now. ...

Custom Colors on Graph
Is there any way to use custom colors with Excel graphs? The standard choices are limiting, and other Microsoft titles all allow custom colors. Am I missing something here? Thanks, Sarah Sarah - Excel uses a palette of 56 colors, and that's it. You can adjust these 56 to your heart's content, though. Pick Options from the Tools menu, and click on the Colors tab. The bottom two rows are the ones used in default charts (for more series, it keeps moving up a row). One by one, select a color and click on the Modify button, to adjust the color. When you like the colors, keep them...

Auto-reply with macro whether logged in to outlook or not
Hello, I currently have a macro that I want to run whenever I recieve a new mail message. Currently it runs under the Application_NewMail. This works when outlook is on and logged in but how can I have it run on incoming emails when I am logged off. Any help is appreciated. I have look into adding it in a rule but a rule with a script wont work unless logged on. This can never work, as your Outlook will only receive email when it is running. Even if you use Exchange the emails are on the server and Outlook doesn't know about them until it's started. -- Ken Slovak ...

Back up under Vista of changed files.
Can you tell me how to back up only those files which have changed after a certain date. All I can see is how to back up the whole disk at one time. Thanks rraybould This question really has nothing to do with Microsoft Word. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "rraybould" <rraybould@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3566D321-1761-40B4-BB4A-6321AE8A75F9@microsoft.com... > Can you tell me how to back up only those files which have changed after a > certain date. All ...

Switching back to CP_ACP instead of CP_THREAD_ACP
Hi, MFC conversions between Unicode and non-Unicode pages are done now using CP_THREAD_ACP instead of CP_ACP. Is there a way to change back to CP_ACP? I tried defining _CONVERSION_DONT_USE_THREAD_LOCALE but it does not apply to MFC DLL. I do not want to re-compile the DLL and redistribute it. I tried changing the pointer g_pfnGetThreadACP (atlconv.h) to point to a routine returning CP_ACP. However, it seems my program contains a different variable g_pfnGetThreadACP than the one MFC uses. Maybe there's a way to link to MFC variable? From programming point of view, is there a way to...

converting message back to HTML
After I had set OfficeXP to read messages in plain-text only (via registry edit), I received an email containing lots of HTML elements such as hyperlinks and images. I need to print this message as it displays when viewed in HTML format. Any ideas? Tony I think if you remove the registry change the message will be displayed normally as HTML "Anthony" <no@spam.org> wrote in message news:Oq7xwe9jFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > After I had set OfficeXP to read messages in plain-text only (via registry > edit), I received an email containing lots of HTML eleme...

change defaut workbook font color
How do I change the Work Book default font color? Hi Tools, Options, General Tab. HTH Cordially Pascal "Ak_Deeg" <Ak_Deeg@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 95E4EB97-9F8E-4856-A079-D55FF4B085C1@microsoft.com... > How do I change the Work Book default font color? ...

Find in Calendar
When using find in the calendar the subject does not post the correct dates when there are reoccurrences. If the posting is longer than 2 consecutive days it shows the start date as the first date of the subject. It shows the end date as the secobd day of the subject. The end day should be the last day of the subject or appointment. Can someone help or tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks Richard Bleier ...

Delete of Calendar
I opened my entourage this morning to find it completely blank asking me if I would like to add an email address and start using entourage. I have been using it for about 3 months and have used the calendar to input everything I need to know about anything. The email part is not hard because I just re-added the account but I am missing months of information from the calendar and I want to know why this happened, how I prevent it from happening again and how to get back all my lost information. You look somewhere else for your answers. This is a news group for Microsoft Access rela...

Restoring old email from backed up pst file
Not sure if anyone can assist but here goes I had a bit of a problem with a hard drive and thankfully most recent backup was within the previous 3 weeks (personal computer) I had backed up the saved email on outlook as the pst file but when I go to import I get a message "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use". and then when I click on OK the message "The file C:\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft \outlook\backup.pst is not a personal folders file". Of course, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance. Unfortunate...

E2k3, E2k7 and Outlook...
Current enviornment: FE - W2k3 Std. & E2k3 Std. BE - W2k3 Ent. & E2k3 Ent. Clients - W2k, XP w/ OL2k and OL2k3 Questions: 1. Is it possible to keep the FE in place and move the BE to E2k7 cluster with CX300 SAN? 1a. If so, will the current setups be able to access OWA and Outlook in that scenario? TIA. Hi the recommended upgrade procedure is 1. CA 2. HT 3. MB it is not possible to access a x2k7 BE server using a x2k3 FE but it is possible the other way around. Henry "kage13" wrote: > Current enviornment: > FE - W2k3 Std. & E2k3 Std. > BE - W2k3 Ent. &...

Outlook will not start #2
I had aa copy of MS Office Professional 2000 on my computer, which came with the computer, so no roigianl disk. I got Office XP small Business Ed. I installed the new software with no problems, but when I try to start Outlook, I get the following message: "UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT E-MAIL FOLDERS THE .DLL FILE FOR THE INFORMATION SERVICE COULD NOT BE FOUND. MAPI WAS UNABLE TO LAD THE INFORMATION SERVICE PSTPRX.DLL. BE SURE THE SERVICE IS CORRECTLY INSTALLED AND CONFIGURED." Because of this problem, Outlook is completely useless. I have searched the dll sites for the pstpr...

Simple Thread
I have created a thread in my MFC Dialog based application, in the thread function i want to have access to a user interface control that is attached to the main dialog. How can I do it? Regards, Mystique Mystique wrote: > I have created a thread in my MFC Dialog based application, in the thread > function i want to have access to a user interface control that is attached > to the main dialog. > How can I do it? > > Regards, > Mystique > > Indirectly, by posting a message to the main thread asking it to update the control. http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq/mfc/12.ht...

Outlook Connector Update for Outlook 2007
When I open outlook 2007 I am prompted to upgrade my outlook connector to continue accessing my hotmail account. It then proceeds to download file OLC.msi followed by a prompt to restart outlook in order to finish the installation. The outlook connector setup wizard then opens and prompts me to repair or remove outlook connector. I've tried both options - repairing does nothing, as soon I restart outlook I get the upgrade window again, removing and reinstalling outlook connector yields the same result. Any thoughts?? Same problem, rather frusterating. Haven't found a fix ...

What's the difference between Bring to Front and Bring Forward?
When you pull down Arrange and then go to Order I don't see the difference between Bring to Front and Bring Forward. Can anyone explain? Big Marta <Big Marta@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When you pull down Arrange and then go to Order I don't see the > difference between Bring to Front and Bring Forward. Can anyone > explain? If you have ten objects, in numerical order, front to back: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Bring to front on object 5 will reorder them 5 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 Bring forward will reorder them 1 2 3 5 4 6 7 8 9 10 Bring for...

outlook program is damaged
the cd i have with outlook on it will not download what can be done to enable me to download the software. i have the certificate of authenticity that came with my program Have you tried cleaning it with Alcohol or another Disc cleaning solution? Is it scratched or what? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer habaman@comcast.net <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | the ...

installed office 2007, 2003 calendar events did not appear.
I had a error 1311 on installation of office 2007. The error solution was to uninstall office 2003 and reinstall 2007. Everything came up fine except calendar. None of my events from 2003 showed up, however my reminder popups worked from the 2003 calendar. I can't find the name of the calendar file to try to reinstall. Thanks, Charlie The calendar is in your pst. Do you see the calendar if you use Folder list view? (Press Ctrl+6 to switch to the folder list. ) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions...

Outlook 2010 Calendar view
Using my new Windows 7/Outlook 2010. Is there anyway to have the calendar view ONLY show time slots that are occupied with appointments? As it stands, I have to scroll to see the late night time-slots even when I have the settings for 1 hour entries. Lots of the screen is filled with blank time slots that I wish I could 'compress' to only see times with active appointments. I've tried looking at all the options I can see without success. Anyone have ideas? Thanks - On XP and Office 2003, I don't think I had this problem....but I can't remember now. -- --------...

Automatic sync of Calendar server folders with folder in PST?
Hello, I need a way to automatically sync a user's Calendar folder on an Exchange server with a Calendar folder in their PST in near real-time. Outlook doesn't appear to provide that feature natively, so can anyone recommend a 3rd party product that would suit? All the products I've found so far do PST-PST sync'ing but not server to PST sync'ing. Thanks, - Alan. Alan <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote: > I need a way to automatically sync a user's Calendar folder on an > Exchange server with a Calendar folder in their PST in near real-time. > > Outlook ...

Bring to Front
I am writing an application that I only want to have one instance of. I know how to do that part, but what I also want to do is if the user attempts to start it again that it will SendMessage to the application to Bring it Front, like in Windows Task Manager Bring to Front option. I have tried WM_SHOWWINDOW and other WM_’s but nothing seems to work. Which one should I use? I am using VC6 and I have a dialog box application. This is the last thing that I have tried, HWND mHWND = ::FindWindow(NULL, "Test Program"); ::SendMessage(mHWND, WM_SHOWWINDOW, TRUE, 0); Thanks in advance...

Calendar Help
I need to limit the dates picked with the calendar to only 7 days before today's date please help ? You could use a Access form that works like a calendar and could make it do what you need. You could also use the after update event of the control that received the date to do the validation. See http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/calendars.html Rob wrote: >I need to limit the dates picked with the calendar to only 7 days before >today's date please help ? -- Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach http://www.hitechcoach.com http://www.officeprogramming.com Message post...

Outlook Today
I have duplicate "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]" on my folder list. They seem to be exact duplications. When they are expanded they have the same subfolders and changes to one are reflected in the other. Is there some way to get rid of the duplicate folder? Also, below the second "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]" is an additional folder called "Personal Folders" in the same vertical hierarchy as the two "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]". When I click on the "Personal Folders" folder I get a message that says "! Unable ...

mapping CRM fields to outlook contact fields
hi, As most of you probably know, one's CRM contacts created in CRM are linked to that persons contacts in outlook. Right now the field "parent account" in CRM is linked to "parent account" (in the tab all fields) on a contact person form in outlook. However there is also a field in outlook contactperson form called " company name" that remais emptiy (this field is located in te general tab in the outlook contact form. i would like to map the field parent account from CRM to BOTH parent account and company name field in outlook contacts :) A) is this p...

backing up my inbox?
Hi all, Can a client backup their own inbox so it can be retrieved later? thanks, charles..... In Outlook you can use the File, Import / Export function and export it to a PST file. "***** charles" <shultzjrX@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:59EZf.410$Lm5.135@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com... > Hi all, > > Can a client backup their own inbox so it can be retrieved later? > > thanks, > charles..... > > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 18:39:27 -0700, "Martin Blackstone - MVP" <exchangemvp@gmail.com> wrote: >In Outlook you can use the Fil...