OneNote in Outlook

Can OneNote work on its workbooks on an Exchange service?  If so, how and
what is the best practice?

Microsoft has too many cross-platform sharing protocols for a home user to
keep track of. And different versions of the same operating system have or
lack the same cross-platform ability. One will have VPN access. Another
won't.  One supports offline files, other versions of the same OS won't.
It's a hellatious mess.  So I don't want to delve into the cross-platform
suggestions in the OneNote help file.

onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

JLG2 wrote:
> Can OneNote work on its workbooks on an Exchange service?  If so, how
> and what is the best practice?

ON has noithing to do with an Exchange Server.

Rainald

0
Rainald
5/25/2010 9:20:09 PM
As Rainald says, OneNote doesn't know anything about Exchange (and vice
versa).  You can, however, store your OneNote notebooks on a SharePoint
server, which you can also use to store Outlook "public folders" in most
cases (calendars and contacts most notably).

OneNote and Outlook interoperate in a number of interesting ways.  There's
an article about that here:
http://www.officeforlawyers.com/onenote/onandol.htm

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

"JLG2" <JLG2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can OneNote work on its workbooks on an Exchange service?  If so, how and
> what is the best practice?
>
> Microsoft has too many cross-platform sharing protocols for a home user to
> keep track of. And different versions of the same operating system have or
> lack the same cross-platform ability. One will have VPN access. Another
> won't.  One supports offline files, other versions of the same OS won't.
> It's a hellatious mess.  So I don't want to delve into the cross-platform
> suggestions in the OneNote help file.

0
Ben
5/26/2010 3:31:31 AM
Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote:
> As Rainald says, OneNote doesn't know anything about Exchange (and
> vice versa).  You can, however, store your OneNote notebooks on a
> SharePoint server, which you can also use to store Outlook "public
> folders" in most cases (calendars and contacts most notably).

IMO using ON2007 with a SharePoint Server causes mire thronles than it
might solve.

Rainald

0
Rainald
5/30/2010 9:55:15 PM
As is often the case, the newer versions work and play better than the older
ones.  SP2 for OneNote helped matters somewhat.  Using OneNote 2010 and a
SharePoint 2010 server should be pretty painless.

Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:

"Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote:
>> As Rainald says, OneNote doesn't know anything about Exchange (and
>> vice versa).  You can, however, store your OneNote notebooks on a
>> SharePoint server, which you can also use to store Outlook "public
>> folders" in most cases (calendars and contacts most notably).
>
> IMO using ON2007 with a SharePoint Server causes mire thronles than it
> might solve.
>
> Rainald

0
Ben
5/30/2010 11:40:58 PM
Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote:
> "Rainald Taesler" wrote:
>> Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote:

>>> As Rainald says, OneNote doesn't know anything about Exchange (and
>>> vice versa).  You can, however, store your OneNote notebooks on a
>>> SharePoint server, which you can also use to store Outlook "public
>>> folders" in most cases (calendars and contacts most notably).
>>
>> IMO using ON2007 with a SharePoint Server causes mire thronles than
>> it might solve.

> As is often the case, the newer versions work and play better than
> the older ones.  SP2 for OneNote helped matters somewhat.

Did it really?
Any reading in that?

> Using OneNote 2010 and a SharePoint 2010 server should be
> pretty painless.

Yes, at least the announcements say so.
And there should be at least be one area where the new version - where
so many important things were left out - brings fundamental improvement
;-)

Rainald

0
Rainald
5/31/2010 12:16:23 AM
Yep - here's an article from Mike Tholfson about OneNote 2007 SP2 and
SharePoint:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/onenote_and_education/archive/2009/05/01/onenote-2007-service-pack-2-is-released-lots-of-great-fixes.aspx

Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:

> Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote:

>>> IMO using ON2007 with a SharePoint Server causes mire thronles than
>>> it might solve.
>
>> As is often the case, the newer versions work and play better than
>> the older ones.  SP2 for OneNote helped matters somewhat.
>
> Did it really?
> Any reading in that?
>
>> Using OneNote 2010 and a SharePoint 2010 server should be
>> pretty painless.
>
> Yes, at least the announcements say so.
> And there should be at least be one area where the new version - where
> so many important things were left out - brings fundamental improvement
> ;-)
>
> Rainald

0
Ben

Problem: Windows 7 Search results emails don't open under outlook
I am using windows 7 Professional (64 bit) as it was pre-installed on my laptop. I also installed a fully updated version of Office 2003 to use Outlook 2003, with all service packs and updates installed. When I use Windows Search, I can no longer open, copy/paste or delete the resulting emails listed, even if the email shows fine in the preview pane. When I double-click on a listed search result (i.e. an email) nothing happens, although it seems the search program tries to open outlook. Is this a known issue ? Is there a fix ? I searched the internet and it seems various peo...

Outlook Searching
I've got Office Outlook 2007. In the Contacts list, using the Contact list search box, it will find names of individuals but not names of Companies. Do I have to add the Company name in the "Full Name" box or can companies be added to the search. I have over 500 contacts and for example, I'd like to be able to do a search for S and have it go down to the first S in the S's. Or, do a search for Sears and nothing comes up. Falsely indicating Sears is not in the database. Don't want to add the Desktop Search option; had it in but it failed to do the ...

Work around for MS Outlook Mailto bug?
Some users get an error message on a web site I have developed. They only get this if they use MS Outlook or MA Outlook Express as their mail client (and even then only in specific circumstances). They get a message as follows: "Could not perform the operation because the default mail client is not installed properly". Their mail client is installed fine - this is a known bug apparently, see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;182985 I am using the Mailto command to generate an email to lots of members of a club. As a result there are lots of email addresse...

OneNote.....
this is probably is simple but....how do I alphabatize/order within onenote? after I have already written up my 3columned 'note'.......if I was in excel I could do it, but here I'm lost......thanks, I guess I hilite the note section but where is the command? -- cristinaladyjane That feature doesn't exist in OneNote. The recommended workaround is to copy/paste the table contents into Excel, sort as needed and then copy/paste back into OneNote. =?Utf-8?B?Y3Jpc3RpbmFsYWR5amFuZQ==?= <ladyjane@microsoft.discussions.com> wrote in news:5DD1CA28-B...

Outlook 2007 and Hotmail Issue with attachemnts
Scenario: If you use Outlook 2007 to receive mail from a POP 3 account and you wish to move any mail received on this account into a Hotmail Folder, it will be viewable from the Hotmail site along with any attachments. However if you then try to sync your hotmail to say Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail Desktop, you will receive the mail as normal with correct formatting but any attachments will be missing although the client shows there is an attachment and reports the correct file size. I believe this is a problem caused by the way Outlook 2007 stores/previews attachments. This pr...

OutLook "Customize OutLook Today"
Since my nmost recent upfdate to Outlook 2000 the "Customize OutLook Today" function has ceased to respond. What's the problem? What is the "fix" for it? OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 To change your Outlook Today setting by editing the registry, see: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/oltoday.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickSt...

can i synchronise outlook on multiple computers?
I use multiple computers in my office and use a laptop and notebook away from the office. Is there a way to download and synchronise the e-mail and contacts (I use outlook) between computers. I can never find messages and replies when I need them and want to file them one time. Buster Spencer Buster Spencer wrote: > I use multiple computers in my office Do you log onto a domain at work? Do they permit roaming profiles? Ask your company's IT folks about roaming profiles. Does your company use Exchange as their e-mail server? > and use a laptop and notebook away...

Outlook 2007 send from one email, get undeliverable that shows ano
I create a new message and send it using one email account (POP3) in Outlook 2007. I get an undeliverable message that shows the sending address (which should be the address I sent the message from) is a totally different address - also POP3. The content of the Undeliverable email is strange as well (this is the total message): ------------------------------------------------------------------ Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Our Vacation! Sent: 1/10/2010 10:09 AM The following recipient(s) cannot be reached: ...

Outlook .pab
If anyone can get me pointed in the right direction, that would be great. My son messed up Outlook on my home computer so that in order for me to log into it, I have to have a floppy in drive A with the ..pab file on it. Somehow he transferred that file to the floppy and in the course of doing it, must have changed some path unknowingly. Moving or cutting and pasting the file back onto the C: drive does not work; it always looks to that A; drive. I have looked, but I can't find the instruction that tells it to look at the A; drive. I am guessing I just have to find that and change the ...

Outlook 2000 and freebusy in workgroup mode?
Reading the following article makes me wonder how to use the freebusy option in corporate/workgroup mode: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;196484&Product=3D= out2K "OL2000: (IMO) How to Use the Internet Free/Busy Feature ..... NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Internet Mail Only option."=20 How does then Exchange get the freebusy times? Anyone any ideas? Timo I found the solution myself. You have to setup an "internet email" service, otherwise freebusy does not work. Strange behaviour.... Timotheus ...

Syncing Multiple Copies of Outlook
I have Outlook on my personal PC and Outlook on my work laptop. Is it possible to merge/sync these two copies? Ideally, I'd like both copies to have both my work and personal data. Any ideas? ...

Unable to Uninstall Outlook 2003 after attempting to install 2007
I installed MS Office Professional and everything went well except for Outlook 2007 did not install and indicated that it was unavailable. I then attempted to uninstall Outlook 2003 and it appears to be gone in part. The desktop icon remains, and it still shows in my control panel >> Programs & Features (Vista Home Premium) and I cannot uninstall. When I try to reinstall Outlook 2003 I cannot, and when I try to install Outlook 2007 it still shows as unavailable and there is no other option. What do I need to do to remove all traces of Outlook 2003 when I cannot un...

outlook vs outlook express #12
i am presently using express, but want to use my newly installed outlook form student/teacher 2003. how can I do this, and how can i move my address book? thanks!!!! -- laura laura <laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i am presently using express, but want to use my newly installed > outlook form student/teacher 2003. how can I do this, and how can i > move my address book? thanks!!!! First, install Outlook. It should detect that you have an account in Outlook Express and migrate that account. Next, use Control Panel's Mail applet to add a PST (Outlook Dat...

Outlook attachments #29
Hi all, The problem I have is I use Outlook 2000 & windows xp home on a pier to pier network. When I want to pick up an attachment off another pc to add to my email it takes for ever & a day to open the insert file menu. I have been told it is a DNS problem but how do I fix it? My ip is issued from the ADSL router automatically, the DNS is the router address. Regards Rob. ...

Sending reports via Email other than Outlook
Is there a way to send Access reports (in *.SNP &/or *.PDF formats) other than using Outlook such that the Outlook Security message can be bypassed? -- frank-a Check what Tony Toews has in the Microsoft Access EMail FAQ at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/email.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "FSHOTT" <fshott@discuss.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6A3D378-883E-4CF5-80A7-15A405870F24@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to send Access reports (in *.SNP &/or *.PDF formats) other &g...

Outlook 2007 won't connect to hyperlinks.
"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator." I AM THE ADMIN...!!! I have been fighting this error for a month now and there isn't any viable solution on the web. If it is I haven't stumbled upon it. I have tried registry edits, changing browsers, resetting IE back to default, I even sacrificed two chickens and a neighbors goat and I still get this #*?!ing error. Anyone got a solutions ?? Thanks Win 7 ultimate 64 Office 2007 Ultimate AMD 3.0 940BE quad 4gig mem 320 hd Which ...

Outlook.exe Process Continues to run after exiting Outlook 2003
After we upgrade our computers from Office XP to Office 2003 SP1, on couple of the computers, the Outlook.exe process will continue to run after exiting Outlook. We must end outlook.exe process in task manager before we can reopen up Outlook again. Does anyone know of a patch or fix for this problem? I tried repair, uninstall/reinstall, as well as try to isolate any conflicting program that might be casing this issue. Both computers are Dell, running Windows XP Pro. Thank you, TechFirm Do these boxes run 3rd party applications like ActiveSync, WinFax, .etc that use, sync, or protect ...

Outlook 2007 calendar help
I just deleted a calendar from my outlook and now I can not figure out how to add one back. It was a sharepoint calendar Under others nothing is showing now Any ideas on how I can recreate the calendar Thanks Tom Go back to that SharePoint Calendar website and use the link provided there to directly add it back to Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- ...

transferring contacts and folders from Outlook
Hello I am new to Windows mail. How do I move contacts and folders across - 'Help' has been of no help. Thanks Ric If you really mean Outlook (not Outlook Express): Outlook stores messages in a .pst file. Windows Mail cannot import from a ..pst file unless Outlook is installed on the Vista computer. 1. Install Outlook on your new computer Copy the .pst file to the new computer Open the .pst file with Outlook. In Windows Mail, File - Import - Messages - Microsoft Outlook For contacts: Open Outlook. File - Import and Export... - Export to a file - Comma Separate...

Styles in OneNote 2010
Hi again, Is it possible to sync or import styles from Word into OneNote? We have a corporate normal.dotx (or is it dotm?) which contains the corporate standard for styles and is pushed to computers each time you log onto the network. We would like to promote OneNote for colaboration in document creation (especially since I found the Send to Word option) but it would be useful to be able to use the same styles as Word, rather than try to re-create them and then manual change OneNote as the corporate standards are updated. Thanks in advance Mike No, unfortunately One...

Reminders in Outlook
One of our attorneys would like to have one reminder pop up at the end of the week. This reminder would list all of her appointments for the following week. Is there a way to do that without fiddling with the reminder times on each of her appointments? Thanks for any help. Joanne H via OfficeKB.com <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote: > One of our attorneys would like to have one reminder pop up at the > end of the week. This reminder would list all of her appointments > for the following week. Is there a way to do that without fiddling > with the reminder times on each of her...

onenote add-in cannot connect to onenote
Help me please! I just reinstalled Office 2007 and I get this message when trying to send an email to OneNote from Outlook onenote add-in cannot connect to onenote. Make sure OneNote add-ins are enabled (they are) in the Add-Ins category of the OneNote application options. How can I fix this?? ...

Outlook macro question
I have two email accounts in Outlook 2003. I know about the Accounts drop list in new emails. But is it possible to create a few macros so that I end up with two buttons where each runs a macro that starts a new email using a specific account? One button would start a new email using account 1 and the other button would start a new email using account 2. If so, could someone please give me some pointers? Thanks. Outlook doesn't provide any direct way to change the account for an = outgoing message in versions before Outlook 2003. See=20 http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=3D88...

Outlook 2003 Ziped Folders
Hi, since updating to outlook 2003 I cannot seem to send Ziped files. Was fine with office XP. have dissabled AV and firewall for testing I can recieve them but not send. Can send other attachments ok such as HTML, DOC, JPG, Gif ETC... When I try to send zipped files just get SMPT time out errors no matter the siz of zip. Only happens to zip files. Any help would be great ...

Lost OneNotes
Started using OneNote 30 days ago ... made entries over several consecutive days. Then no entries for 8 days. I then clicked on icon and a new, blank OneNote page opened. My current noteBook was not found in Doc or anywhere else - until I read here about FILE>OPEN BACKUP. Should I have done a 'SAVE AS' to keep the original notes in tact as a single note book? Am I missing something here ... as it seems I would have been just as well to have used WORD and SAVE AS, saving some 45 minutes trying to re-locate the NoteBook files??? Many thanks for another rescue!!!...