notebook file locations

i would like to set up a notebook for each of my clients (estimated 500
notebooks) and put them on a server so other staffers can access and share.
Is it possible to still use search functions or do all of the notebooks have
to be open to search the files.
onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

edwhicks wrote:
> i would like to set up a notebook for each of my clients (estimated
> 500 notebooks) and put them on a server so other staffers can access
> and share. Is it possible to still use search functions or do all of
> the notebooks have to be open to search the files.

The search only works for files which are open.

This said, I take the liberty to add an in general remark:
I seriously doubt that OneNote would be a proper instrument for managing
500 clients.

ON for sure is a fantastic instrument good for at least 1001 things.
But it's not an instrument that might replacement a customer database
application.

I'd suggest to look around for dedicated customer relationship
management software and/or hire a consultant.

Rainald

0
Rainald
1/13/2010 5:42:08 PM
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:12:01 -0800, edwhicks
<edwhicks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i would like to set up a notebook for each of my clients (estimated 500
>notebooks) and put them on a server so other staffers can access and share.
>Is it possible to still use search functions or do all of the notebooks have
>to be open to search the files.

As Rainald said, the search only works on notebooks that are open.
BUT, would ALL of your staff have to have continuous access to ALL of
your notebooks?  Maybe they could have open just those which they need
to use at the time.

Another alternative would be to use a few notebooks (like one for A-M
and another for N-Z), and have tabs within those notebooks for each
client.  That would cut down on the number of notebooks open at any
one time.

Yes, you're going to run into performance issues, but to answer your
question this might be possible given the above suggestions.

As an alternative, you might consider using Outlook with the Business
Contact Manager, which is better suited for this sort of thing.

//Steve//
0
Steve

how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file
how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Press CTRL+Print Screen. Open a photo editing program and paste screencap into it. Then crop down to the area you want to show as a picture. "lylegalveston" wrote: > how to save part of an Excel worksheet as .jpg file Take a screen print of the active application (alt + print screen) then edit it in a photo editor or get a program like Snagit (screen capture program), I use the latter myself and it's great Regards, Peo Sjoblom "lylegalveston" <lylegalveston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

How to do with xml file -> schema file (fuction i .NET)
I use a BulkLoad to import file.xml to my base MS Server 2000. To import this xml file I need schema file. Mayby you know how to do this file mechanicy f.g. mayby somebody have some script in .net who generate this schema. for any help Thanks ======== My xml file ================================= <ROOT> <Customers> <CustomerId>5555</CustomerId> <CompanyName>Jagoda1</CompanyName> <City>NY</City> </Customers> <Customers> <CustomerId>0200</CustomerId> <Comp...

Backup file #2
How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? Thanks, Tom Try Tools - Options - Save. This will automatically save a copy of your file every x minutes to the directory of your choice. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "tkanasoot@yahoo.com" wrote: > How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to > specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? > > Thanks, > Tom Do I need to set up my file to always create backup? Does this...

how to convert .doc file to .jpg file
I want to use COM to convert WORD file (.doc) to a series of graphics files, such as .jpg file. Each page in WORD file should be one graphics file. How can I do it? Thanks! Check this out: http://www.virtualsoftware.com/ProdPage.cfm?ProdID=1272 -- Elias http://lgwm.org/ "fadics" <fadics@sohu.com> wrote in message news:bjm320$2q99$1@mail.cn99.com... > I want to use COM to convert WORD file (.doc) to a series of graphics files, > such as .jpg file. Each page in WORD file should be one graphics file. How > can I do it? > > Thanks! > > Thank you. Perha...

How to open saved .DBX files?
I saved a folder of e-mails to CD from Outlook Express shortly before my last computer died. I desperately need to open the folder (saved as a .dbx file) by tomorrow, to get my husband (in Portugal watching the footie) the details of his hotel!!I am now running Xp and have both outlook and outlook express(office 2003) I tried open with, but selecting OE takes you into the OE files rather than selecting it as a prog.If I try open with outlook, it just appears as a folder attachment in an e-mail Can anybody help me open this wretched thing??? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an...

old notebook
Hi, I have a very old notebook that support DDR ram (NEC E660), the specification saying that it only support max. 1G ram. Now I am running 256Mx2 ram. Can I upgrade it to 1Gx1 or can only upgrade it with 512Mx2 ram. Thanks a lot. yes peter -- If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-) "bob" <bobby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eCanYubiKHA.5020@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > &...

printing multiple excel files from the directory
hi is there any way to print multiple xcel files from the directory instead of opening each file individually and then pressing control - p. i need to print about 100 excel files in a single directory. and is there a way to set default print settings so that the files all end up in landscape format, 1 sheet wide and as tall as necessary? this seems an obvious thing people would want to do, but i can't find an obvious solution. thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can do this by using Windows Explorer. Highlight all the files to print, right click and print....

Does a file exist?
I want to see if an executable is on a system: if(executable is there) dostuff(); else dootherstuff() How do I see if an executable is located in a particular directory? On 26 May 2007 02:51:54 -0700, hamishd <Hamish.Dean@gmail.com> wrote: >I want to see if an executable is on a system: > >if(executable is there) > dostuff(); >else > dootherstuff() > >How do I see if an executable is located in a particular directory? the simplest and oldest(?) is to use _access( .. ); but there are a myriad ways if u look in the doc. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/...

Pasted image file property inspector???
Hi, In a process of answering a request for proposal, our team worked over night writing down the answer in Word, pasting images here and there. The .doc file is now so big that it is almost impossible to send it by mail. Of course we made a pdf but for archiving in our knowledge base (.doc format for latter use) I really need to get its file size down. I know that we pasted things with a not appropriate format/resolution. Do you know a way to simply display in a palette pasted image file property (size and type) This would help finding the ones needing optimization. Is there such plug-in...

Linking Workbooks and minimising file sizes
Spec: presently have a "user" workbook of about 70 worksheets. this will be sent to managers. Am trying to make a Rough Work worksheet which will contain all raw data needed for calculations in the "user" workbook. I dont want the managers to see/receive the "Rough Work" file. E.G. Monthly figs in rough work sheet are used to calculated "% of work acheived this year" in the user workbook. Problem: 1) how do i link the data AND keep file size down?? 2) how can i split up the "user" workbook into manageable chunks which can, for example...

Save excel file as text file with ; as separator
Dear Sir I change the list separator(under control panel) from " , " to " ; " in win2000 and winxp. I write macro that will save the excel file as text file with ';' separator but the result is still a ',' but this program can work on win98. The coding is as below Worksheets("ProdPrice").Activat Cells.Selec Selection.Cop Workbooks.Ad Windows("Book1").Activat Range("A1").Activat ActiveSheet.Past ChDir "C:\ ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\ClientInfo\Prodprice.txt", FileFormat:=xlCSV, CreateBackup:=Fals Windo...

Lost File Share
Before 15 January, I had 2 PC's set to share a calendar (via email). However, on 15 January, one of the PC's received the following message: "Oulook caused invalid page fault in module fldpub.dll at 015f:4c51a697". I went to the support page and printed the resolutions for that error. However, since then, the calendar does not share. How can I share (via email) again? Thanks, Best International Sales ...

file exist
hi, what is the command to check if file exist ? thanks. Lior Montia wrote: > hi, > > what is the command to check if file exist ? > > thanks. Dir("path to file") It will return the name of the file if it exists and "" if it does not. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com "Lior Montia" <liorm@matrix.co.il> wrote in message news:f053kh$edi$1@news2.netvision.net.il... > hi, > > what is the command to check if file exist ? > > thanks. > > Dir() will...

how do I locate where a specific font is used in a publication?
When I open a Publisher document, I get the list of missing fonts. I don't remember using those fonts and I'd like to find where in the publication they are used so I can just go ahead and substitute another font and eliminate the "missing" message. This was posted earlier This may be a solution; but even if it works, it seems ugly. Save the pub file as a website You now have a html file Open with a text editor which I believe will identify the fonts used. I feel like I should apologize. <G> -- Don - Vancouver, USA -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ &q...

Getting path from the full path and file name
Hello again, This is my second question today. The question is how to get just the path info from a string that contains path and file name information. I am looking an MFC or WinAPI function to do that because I don't want to do it manually. Thanks, "msnews.microsoft.com" <fwr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:uzyJa$q1DHA.1700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... : Hello again, :=20 : This is my second question today. The question is how to get just the = path : info from a string that contains path and file name information. I am : looking an MFC or WinAPI function to do that becaus...

Preferred file group
Our application records transactional events (maybe 300K to 500K rows per day) on a separate file group called HISTORY. I was wondering if there are performance considerations when creating indices on this history table. That is, do I get a performance improvement if the index resides in the default file group or if it resides in my HISTORY file group. Thanks in advance, Gary Hi ary, You can create a seprate file for the indexes, that would help as the index read/writes would be from a seperate file. Sriram www.sqllike.com > Our application records transactional event...

synch my notebooks
I work in onenote on my tablet and on a desktop that are not networked to eachother. I use a USB drive on the tablet. I'd like to synch it with my notebooks on the desktop. Any way I can do this? Thanks. -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I work in onenote on my tablet and on a desktop that are not networked to > eachother. I use a USB drive on the tablet. I'd like to synch it with my > notebooks on the desktop. Any way I can do this? Thanks. Short answer: Your "original" notebooks should reside on the USB stick. They can then b...

Daily file save as webpage
I have a file that updates via query daily. After the update I would like to save the file as a webpage, say at 08:10 daily with that days date as a file name. i.e. DayReport040424. Can anyone point me to where I could find the code to do this? Thanks in advance ...

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

log files in folder MDBDATA
is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? fanman36 wrote: > is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? This files will be deleted automatically after performing a full backup with NTBackup. They are used for recovery. -- Dana http://www.woodcontour.com Solid wood and stone PC Peripherals On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:01 -0700, "fanman36" <fanman36@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? No, you should not manually delete those files. Use an Exchange awar...

Can Publisher 2003/2/00 read Publisher 2007 files?
I have a client interesting in buying Publisher 2007. Can Publisher 2007 files be read by 2003/2002? If not, can Publisher 2007 save in a format 2003/2 can read? D Schoch wrote: > I have a client interesting in buying Publisher 2007. Can Publisher 2007 > files be read by 2003/2002? If not, can Publisher 2007 save in a format > 2003/2 can read? Publisher 2007 shares its file format with Publishers 2002 and 2003. The programs can read each others' files. Publisher 2000 cannot read this file format; you are still able to save as Publisher 2000 in 2007 as you were in earl...

Reading Vista files from XP
We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created using a MS Vista version of Excel. The file extension is XLS. When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program crashes. I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged between the 2 operating systems? Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success stumbling on the answer. Thanks..................Dave The operating systems have nothing to do with the files. The files are created by Excel. There is no MS Vista version of Excel. There are severa...

howto: saveas with file name from a cell in the current worksheet

saving a Publisher file as a .pdf
is there some way to save a newsletter made in Publisher as a .pdf file so we can send it over the internet? thank you. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from james <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > is there some way to save a newsletter made in Publisher as a .pdf > file so we can send it over the internet? Yes, there is. In fact, there are a number of ways. You can use Adobe's Acrobat software, from www.adobe.com, which costs a couple of hundred dollars Alternatively, you can use one of the cheaper alternative products, such as...

How to compare PST files?
I sync two laptops with my PSTs with Goodsync on OL2007. That detects differences at the file level. There USED to be a tool for comparing PSTs, but it has been withdrawn. When the two PSTs are different, and I have added to both of them, is there a tool that will find the differences? Mail items only. Thanks, Rick -- rickrcomm http://forums.slipstick.com I'm happy with Easy2Sync: http://www.easy2sync.de/en/produkte/e2s4o.php -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pu...