How to group clips and drawing elements?

I wanted to document all steps to install a larger program package using
OneNote by taking "clips" (i.e. partial screenshots) and adding red circles
around stuff that I had selected or entered.

This worked at first quite nice. However, the clips and the drawing elements
(ovals) seem to be on different "layers" (or whatever). When I later insert
something on that page above, all the screenshots get pushed down (which is
what I want and expect) but the red ovals stay where they were and hence now
highlight wrong positions and my note thus becomes complete garbage.

How can I "merge" or group the images/clips with the drawing elements so
that they stick together?

Michael

1
Michael
3/12/2010 12:16:47 PM
onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I wanted to document all steps to install a larger program package using
> OneNote by taking "clips" (i.e. partial screenshots) and adding red
> circles around stuff that I had selected or entered.
>
> This worked at first quite nice. However, the clips and the drawing
> elements (ovals) seem to be on different "layers" (or whatever). When I
> later insert something on that page above, all the screenshots get
> pushed down (which is what I want and expect) but the red ovals stay
> where they were and hence now highlight wrong positions and my note thus
> becomes complete garbage.
>
> How can I "merge" or group the images/clips with the drawing elements so
> that they stick together?
>
> Michael

1. It's one of the real annoyances in ON that you cannot group items on
a page.
2. But you can avoid your problem by using the "(Insert or Remove Extra
Writing Space" button from the Drawing Toolbar.

Bernd
0
Bernd
3/12/2010 2:57:59 PM
Michael,

I have the EXACT same issue because I do that very same thing all the time.  I document user interface bugs and data validity problems in that same manner.  However it is irritating if I have to go back and modify something higher up in the document because all of the graphical elements get messed up.  I personally think it is a bug but I am very interested to see if anyone knows of a work-around for this problem.  Maybe it will be fixed in the 2010 version??

Mike
2
mikeatdsc (4)
3/12/2010 3:06:49 PM
-- sorry the signature did not post.

Mike Moore
Daytona State College
moorem@daytonastate.edu
0
mikeatdsc (4)
3/12/2010 3:08:11 PM

> 1. It's one of the real annoyances in ON that you cannot group items on
> a page.
> 2. But you can avoid your problem by using the "(Insert or Remove Extra
> Writing Space" button from the Drawing Toolbar.
>
> Bernd

P.S.:

1. As an alternative you can use Insert -> Extra Writing Space
2. Still no grouping in ON 2010

Bernd
0
Bernd
3/12/2010 3:32:42 PM
mikeatdsc wrote:
> I have the EXACT same issue because I do that very same thing all the
> time.  I document user interface bugs and data validity problems in
> that same manner.  However it is irritating if I have to go back and
> modify something higher up in the document because all of the
> graphical elements get messed up.  I personally think it is a bug but
> I am very interested to see if anyone knows of a work-around for this
> problem.  Maybe it will be fixed in the 2010 version??

No, it's not a bug.
Just a *missing*feature* which would urgently ne needed.

ON would need anchoring/grouping of objects. This has been requested and
discussed in the early Beta of ON2007 already.
Although it's the most seriously missing feature it has not taken up by
the developers (who set other priorities) and so unfortunately nothing
has changed in so far in ON2010. We have to wait for at least Office15
{siiigh}.

As much as love ON and as much as I use it (the # 1 of all apps in my
systems, I have given up the idea of commenting inside ON (be it images
or PDFs).
For images I use SnagIt[1] which has everything needed for taking
screenshots and editing/manipulating images and collect the results in
ON.
For PDFs I use the PDFAnnotator[2] and keep the commented files outside
ON with links in the respective notebooks.

Really sad that I have no better news nor suggestions.

Rainald
[1] http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp
[2] http://ograhl.com/en/pdfannotator/

0
Rainald
3/12/2010 5:36:44 PM
I'll admit this isn't the most sophisticated solution, but it has worked for
me:

I had a project where I wanted to have 8-10 "thought bubbles" that I wanted
to physically manipulate.  So naturally I crew the circles/ovals, then typed
in/on them.  If the text overran the circle, I either increased the size of
the circle or decreased the text size.  However, once these were done, you
can imagine how bad it would SUCK to try to capture ONLY the items you wanted
with the lasso and manipulate them.  So instead, after I created each item, I
took a snapshot with <win>+<s>, pasted the new one next to the old item, then
erased the original "bubble" made up of two items.

Essentially, I often find myself assembling things how I like them using
multiple containers and "levels", then just taking a snapshot of the
assembled beauty (monstrosity) and using it instead.

Obviously this doesn't work if you need the text in the shape to be
editable, but at that point, you could always just put a new container over
the old text.  I just think this method is particularly helpful when the
primary goal is assembling and manipulating objects for the sake of
organization.  You can always do a final edit before you print, publish, or
send!

Hope that's helpful!

John

"Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message
> ON would need anchoring/grouping of objects. This has been requested and
> discussed in the early Beta of ON2007 already.
> Although it's the most seriously missing feature it has not taken up by
> the developers (who set other priorities) and so unfortunately nothing
> has changed in so far in ON2010. We have to wait for at least Office15
> {siiigh}.

So, apparently the same story as with other badly missing features, that
have been requested over and over again...

I wonder why MS takes the effort to announce beta versions of Office
products trying to encourage people to use and comment on it, if they then
don't listen anyway. Based on such experience I didn't even bother to have a
look at the recent ON 2010 beta, since I would bet on the fact that it won't
have those most asked-for features and all requests to add those will be
spoken into the wind anyway... But it will have stronger license
enforcement, that's for sure!

Michael (seeking a replacement for ON - suggestions?)

0
Michael
3/17/2010 9:42:47 AM
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but the fact is that the OneNote team has
consistently implemented asked-for features.  The first one that jumps to
mind is the internal hyperlinking.  I'm sorry if your favorite requests
haven't materialized yet but in the words of Steven Sinofsky:

"Designing Microsoft Office is like ordering pizza for 400 million people."

Can't accommodate every request.  Mine don't always make the final cut
either.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

"Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message

> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> ON would need anchoring/grouping of objects. This has been requested and
>> discussed in the early Beta of ON2007 already.
>> Although it's the most seriously missing feature it has not taken up by
>> the developers (who set other priorities) and so unfortunately nothing
>> has changed in so far in ON2010. We have to wait for at least Office15
>> {siiigh}.
>
> So, apparently the same story as with other badly missing features, that
> have been requested over and over again...
>
> I wonder why MS takes the effort to announce beta versions of Office
> products trying to encourage people to use and comment on it, if they then
> don't listen anyway. Based on such experience I didn't even bother to have
> a look at the recent ON 2010 beta, since I would bet on the fact that it
> won't have those most asked-for features and all requests to add those
> will be spoken into the wind anyway... But it will have stronger license
> enforcement, that's for sure!
>
> Michael (seeking a replacement for ON - suggestions?)

0
Ben
3/17/2010 8:26:59 PM
On Mar 17, 8:26=A0pm, "Ben M. Schorr, MVP" <b...@bogusaddress.mvp>
wrote:
> Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but the fact is that the OneNote team h=
as
> consistently implemented asked-for features. =A0The first one that jumps =
> mind is the internal hyperlinking. =A0I'm sorry if your favorite requests
> haven't materialized yet but in the words of Steven Sinofsky:
>
> "Designing Microsoft Office is like ordering pizza for 400 million people=
.."

> Can't accommodate every request. =A0Mine don't always make the final cut
> either.
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP
> Roland Schorr & Towerhttp://www.rolandschorr.comhttp://www.officeforlawye=
rs.com/outlook.html
> Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:http://tinyurl.com/o=
l4law-amazon

> "Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.mo...@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in messag=

> > "Rainald Taesler" <taes...@gmx.de> wrote in message
> >> ON would need anchoring/grouping of objects. This has been requested a=
nd
> >> discussed in the early Beta of ON2007 already.
> >> Although it's the most seriously missing feature it has not taken up b=
> >> the developers (who set other priorities) and so unfortunately nothing
> >> has changed in so far in ON2010. We have to wait for at least Office15
> >> {siiigh}.
>
> > So, apparently the same story as with other badly missing features, tha=
> > have been requested over and over again...
>
> > I wonder why MS takes the effort to announce beta versions of Office
> > products trying to encourage people to use and comment on it, if they t=
hen
> > don't listen anyway. Based on such experience I didn't even bother to h=
ave
> > a look at the recent ON 2010 beta, since I would bet on the fact that i=
> > won't have those most asked-for features and all requests to add those
> > will be spoken into the wind anyway... But it will have stronger licens=
> > enforcement, that's for sure!
>
> > Michael (seeking a replacement for ON - suggestions?)- Hide quoted text=
 -

Hi,

I've commented before about this obvious omission. The same problem
occurs when you use the highlighter tool to highlight a printout etc.
If you then go back and dare to add anything, all your highlighting
gets shunted down. I can't believe that a note-taking programme should
have this issue.

It forces me to take notes in a different way to my normal way (ie the
MS way).

That said, the workaround I use (the term workaround should really be
in ON's marketing, since it's used so often) is to draw or annotate
your notes, then use the screen clipping tool to copy your annotated
notes and paste it into a new page.

It's a shame that some of the obvious and desparately asked for
features have been ignored by the ON team. Especially as most of the
features are available in other Office apps (like grouping). They only
needed to be 'brought across'.

ON has been around for some time now and even in the 2010 edition,
we're not seeing our favourite features.

Dayve
0
Dave
3/18/2010 7:56:53 AM
 > "Designing Microsoft Office is like ordering pizza for 400 million
people."

Exactly the same dilemma faces Adobe for each new version of Photoshop.

They've responded with a "Just Do It" exercise as part of their
engineering effort.

In the words of John Nack (an Adobe PM)

" By and large we're going to take a break from working on big,
long-term projects (Cocoa conversion, etc.), and instead all the
engineers will focus on fixing small, irritating things about the program.

It's a short, intensive run at low-hanging fruit."

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/06/feedback_please_jdi.html

I'd love to see Microsoft surprise us all with something similar.
0
John
3/18/2010 9:41:16 AM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but the fact is that the OneNote team
> has consistently implemented asked-for features.  The first one that
> jumps to mind is the internal hyperlinking.  I'm sorry if your favorite
> requests haven't materialized yet but in the words of Steven Sinofsky:
>
> "Designing Microsoft Office is like ordering pizza for 400 million people."
>
> Can't accommodate every request.  Mine don't always make the final cut
> either.

I'm personally missing that "grouping feature" too.
But after looking into the data structures of ON with OMSpy I'm sure
it's not that easy to integrate a "horizontal" bundling of objects (=
grouping) into that hierarchical data structure.
I'd like to here from someone at Microsoft if I'm right.

Bernd
0
Bernd
3/18/2010 3:08:17 PM
Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote:
> Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but the fact is that the OneNote
> team has consistently implemented asked-for features.  The first one
> that jumps to mind is the internal hyperlinking.

This IMHO is a really one-eyed view!
Nothing better to offer than a thing which has been implemented in
ON2007 already??

Yes, the internal hyperlinks are mist important. Still it has been
discussed during the ON2007 Beta already that the internal links are
below what would be possible. Linking does only partly reach what the
"Organizer" (later "Lotus Organizer") did already have some
one-and-a-half dozens of years ago :-( :-(

> I'm sorry if your  favorite requests haven't materialized yet but in
the words of Steven
> Sinofsky:
>
> "Designing Microsoft Office is like ordering pizza for 400 million
> people."

But at least the calls from people calling cheese and tomatoes might be
heard.

> Can't accommodate every request.  Mine don't always make the final cut
> either.

IMO ON2007 is anything but a good example of responsiveness.
Hardly any of the most often asked for things has been implemented in
the new version.
The developers just followed different priorities.
To say with Joni Mitchell's words: ".. clouds got in their way"
{siiiigh}.

Sadly yours
Rainald

> "Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in
> message news:epzwjYbxKHA.3564@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message
>>> ON would need anchoring/grouping of objects. This has been
>>> requested and discussed in the early Beta of ON2007 already.
>>> Although it's the most seriously missing feature it has not taken
>>> up by the developers (who set other priorities) and so
>>> unfortunately nothing has changed in so far in ON2010. We have to
>>> wait for at least Office15 {siiigh}.
>>
>> So, apparently the same story as with other badly missing features,
>> that have been requested over and over again...
>>
>> I wonder why MS takes the effort to announce beta versions of Office
>> products trying to encourage people to use and comment on it, if
>> they then don't listen anyway. Based on such experience I didn't
>> even bother to have a look at the recent ON 2010 beta, since I would
>> bet on the fact that it won't have those most asked-for features and
>> all requests to add those will be spoken into the wind anyway... But
>> it will have stronger license enforcement, that's for sure!
>>
>> Michael (seeking a replacement for ON - suggestions?)

0
Rainald
3/20/2010 8:11:31 PM
Bernd wrote:
>> Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but the fact is that the OneNote
>> team has consistently implemented asked-for features.  The first one
>> that
>> jumps to mind is the internal hyperlinking.  I'm sorry if your
>> favorite requests haven't materialized yet but in the words of
>> Steven Sinofsky:
>>
>> "Designing Microsoft Office is like ordering pizza for 400 million
>> people."
>>
>> Can't accommodate every request.  Mine don't always make the final
>> cut either.
>
> I'm personally missing that "grouping feature" too.
> But after looking into the data structures of ON with OMSpy I'm sure
> it's not that easy to integrate a "horizontal" bundling of objects (=
> grouping) into that hierarchical data structure.

I can't say.
But I am naive enough to thinks that it might be doable some way.

AFAICS it was just the priorities.
"Graphics" issues just were not on the agenda.
That's what Daniel Escapa clearly said last July in the TP-NGs.

Rainald

0
Rainald
3/20/2010 8:16:51 PM
Michael Moser wrote:
>I wanted to document all steps to install a larger program package
> using OneNote by taking "clips" (i.e. partial screenshots) and adding
> red circles around stuff that I had selected or entered.

A most common task, for sure.

> This worked at first quite nice. However, the clips and the drawing
> elements (ovals) seem to be on different "layers" (or whatever). When
> I later insert something on that page above, all the screenshots get
> pushed down (which is what I want and expect) but the red ovals stay
> where they were and hence now highlight wrong positions and my note
> thus becomes complete garbage.
>
> How can I "merge" or group the images/clips with the drawing elements
> so that they stick together?

ON does not have the most urgently needed (and most often asked for)
feature for grouping and/or at anchoring.
And this will not be available in ON2010 either. {siiigh}

Therefore one has to use workarounds.
The one suggested by "JohnForAmerica" (nice pseudo, BTW <bg>) - i.e.
working with a screen-clip - works nit is nit too versatile and means a
loss if quality if the involved images (especially if it's PDFs imported
into ON.

I for one prefer different ways:
a) For commenting PDFs I use the PDFAnnotator (a fantastic tool not only
but especially for TabletPCs)[1] prior to importing.
Most PDFs I leave outside ON, however, and just link them. This way I
can easily change or add comments. And I keep them in Adobe's
"Portfolio". Huge advantage: Windows Search does easily find the content
and show it in the Explorer's "Preview Pane" which is not available for
ON data (the lack of a preview-handler [iFilter] for ON is another
serious shortcoming <!!>).

b) For screen-shots I take ON's clipping feature rather seldom and only
for "easy go lucky" tasks.
If it's something I want to work on I use SnagIt[2]. This app is a
professional instrument for taking screen-shots of all kind (incl.
scrolling windows <!>) and commenting/manipulating those as well as any
other sort of images. It has a lot of fine drawing tools, tons of stamps
etc.
I'm also using it for commenting images held in ON: copy + paste into
SnagIt, manipulate them there, then copy + paste back into ON.

c) For easy things the following works fine:
(aa) Comment/highlight the items in ON;
(bb) take the "lasso" for marking the whole of the wanted objects;
(bb) copy the selection and paste it into a graphics tool. My favorite
in so far is "IrfanView", a fantastic piece of freeware which IMHO is a
true must-have on each computer ;-);
(cc) Use copy + paste to bring it back into ON. It's just *one* object
now.

All that are just workarounds.
ON ought to have the basic instruments built-in.
Shame on the developers team :-(

Rainald

0
Rainald
3/21/2010 3:01:32 PM
> AFAICS it was just the priorities.
> "Graphics" issues just were not on the agenda.
> That's what Daniel Escapa clearly said last July in the TP-NGs.
>
> Rainald

One thing that always puzzled me with ON is:

why didn't they recycle (parts of) the powerpoint graphics engine? I mean:
powerpoint 's graphics capabilities are pretty impressive while still being
fairly easy and straight forward to use.
PP also supports scribbles and has all these nice drawing functions that one
expects:
grouping, connectors (i.e. line-attach-points traveling with an underlying
element if that gets moved), layers, you name it, while ON's graphics really
suck! Conceptually speaking: keep the notebook, section (group) and page
structures (and their handling) but make each ON page a single PP page (or
"slide").

And since its part of the same suite one could probably avoid some code
duplication and -bloating along the way. And millions of users would
immediately feel "at home" with ON! Beats me why MS is not capitalising on
this obvious (to me at least...) code re-use possibility.

M.

0
Michael
3/26/2010 12:45:52 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> One thing that always puzzled me with ON is:
>
> why didn't they recycle (parts of) the powerpoint graphics engine? I
> mean: powerpoint 's graphics capabilities are pretty impressive while
> still being fairly easy and straight forward to use.
> PP also supports scribbles and has all these nice drawing functions that
> one expects:
> grouping, connectors (i.e. line-attach-points traveling with an
> underlying element if that gets moved), layers, you name it, while ON's
> graphics really suck! Conceptually speaking: keep the notebook, section
> (group) and page structures (and their handling) but make each ON page a
> single PP page (or "slide").
>
> And since its part of the same suite one could probably avoid some code
> duplication and -bloating along the way. And millions of users would
> immediately feel "at home" with ON! Beats me why MS is not capitalising
> on this obvious (to me at least...) code re-use possibility.
>
> M.

I think the reason behind is that ON has been built as a guerilla
project outside the Office team and therefore invented the wheel  (the
data model) a second time.

David vs. Goliath ;-)

No one at MS thought ON would become a success. So it was hidden in the
Home and Student Edition where I stumbled upon it, by random.

Bernd
0
Bernd
3/26/2010 2:40:18 PM
I imagine they wanted to streamline the note taking process.  It would be
difficult to create a complex diagram using the drawing tools found in
other Office applications while transcribing a lecture or meeting.  If you
need to create a more complex diagram from those notes later on, MS would
likely recommend Visio or PowerPoint.

> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> AFAICS it was just the priorities.
>> "Graphics" issues just were not on the agenda.
>> That's what Daniel Escapa clearly said last July in the TP-NGs.
>>
>> Rainald
>
> One thing that always puzzled me with ON is:
>
> why didn't they recycle (parts of) the powerpoint graphics engine? I
> mean: powerpoint 's graphics capabilities are pretty impressive while
> still being fairly easy and straight forward to use.
> PP also supports scribbles and has all these nice drawing functions
> that one expects:
> grouping, connectors (i.e. line-attach-points traveling with an
> underlying element if that gets moved), layers, you name it, while
> ON's graphics really suck! Conceptually speaking: keep the notebook,
> section (group) and page structures (and their handling) but make each
> ON page a single PP page (or "slide").
>
> And since its part of the same suite one could probably avoid some
> code duplication and -bloating along the way. And millions of users
> would immediately feel "at home" with ON! Beats me why MS is not
> capitalising on this obvious (to me at least...) code re-use
> possibility.
>
> M.

0
Erik
3/26/2010 9:29:26 PM
Actually I was referring to them implementing it in ON2007.  ON2010 has the
docked view and the Recycle Bin for two feature requests that come to mind.

I agree that there are some things I would have liked to see in ON2010 that
didn't make it; to that extent ON2007 may have been a bigger step forward
than ON2010 is, but ON2010 takes some nice steps forward in shared
notebooks, versioning and collaboration.  Hopefully it sets up for some more
progress on requested features (like grouping) in the next version.

Anyhow, I'm simply disagreeing with the premise that the OneNote team never
implements features people ask for.  In fact they very often do - they just
haven't managed to get every feature in there yet.  And yes, there are a
couple of big ones that are still hanging.

Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:

> Ben M. Schorr, MVP wrote:
>> Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but the fact is that the OneNote
>> team has consistently implemented asked-for features.  The first one
>> that jumps to mind is the internal hyperlinking.
>
> This IMHO is a really one-eyed view!
> Nothing better to offer than a thing which has been implemented in
> ON2007 already??
>
> Yes, the internal hyperlinks are mist important. Still it has been
> discussed during the ON2007 Beta already that the internal links are
> below what would be possible. Linking does only partly reach what the
> "Organizer" (later "Lotus Organizer") did already have some
> one-and-a-half dozens of years ago :-( :-(
>
>> I'm sorry if your  favorite requests haven't materialized yet but in
> the words of Steven
>> Sinofsky:
>>
>> "Designing Microsoft Office is like ordering pizza for 400 million
>> people."
>
> But at least the calls from people calling cheese and tomatoes might be
> heard.
>
>> Can't accommodate every request.  Mine don't always make the final cut
>> either.
>
> IMO ON2007 is anything but a good example of responsiveness.
> Hardly any of the most often asked for things has been implemented in
> the new version.
> The developers just followed different priorities.
> To say with Joni Mitchell's words: ".. clouds got in their way"
> {siiiigh}.
>
> Sadly yours
> Rainald
>

>> "Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser@nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in
>> message news:epzwjYbxKHA.3564@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in message
>>>
>>> So, apparently the same story as with other badly missing features,
>>> that have been requested over and over again...
>>>
>>> I wonder why MS takes the effort to announce beta versions of Office
>>> products trying to encourage people to use and comment on it, if
>>> they then don't listen anyway. Based on such experience I didn't
>>> even bother to have a look at the recent ON 2010 beta, since I would
>>> bet on the fact that it won't have those most asked-for features and
>>> all requests to add those will be spoken into the wind anyway... But
>>> it will have stronger license enforcement, that's for sure!
>>>
>>> Michael (seeking a replacement for ON - suggestions?)

0
Ben

Grouping data
I am trying to group data for a specific event and have not been successful, so I am hoping someone can help. ID Date Value 174 12/3/2007 102 174 12/3/2007 909 174 12/11/2007 405 174 12/11/2007 701 206 12/6/2007 1001 173 12/3/2007 500 I want to group by ID, the MAX Date for that ID and the Max Value for the ID & Max Date The desired result would be: ID Date Value 174 12/11/2007 701 206 12/6/...

How can I draw a semi circle shape.
I am using Publisher 2003. Could anyone kindly explain how to draw a semi-circle. I have searched Auto shapes, the clip art library and also Microsoft online but so far have drawn a blank. -- Autoshapes, more autoshapes, scroll down to the "chord", in shadow settings, click none. You can manipulate this shape. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Moatman" <Moatman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD98F6A3-BF45-4E79-B1B8-6FB5A5333629@microsoft.com... >I am using Publisher 20...

query based distribution group
Hello all running Exchange 2007 sp2, I need to modify an existing query based DL so it finds mailboxes and if the account has two different email address stamped on it. For example if the mailbox has test1.com and test2.com and it's a mailbox then make it a member of the query based DL Thanks for any help If it has those two e-mail addresses? That should return just one recipient. Or do you mean a recipient with any two proxy addresses? I don't believe that's possible with LDAP. Or do you mean a mailbox-enabled user with proxy addresses in two domai...

Group Footer at Bottom of Last Page of Group
I would like for a group footer to appear at the bottom of the last page of a group -- either hide the page footer on pages if it is not the last page of the group or have the group footer print at the bottom of the page. I have used the instructions to reset the page number and the total page count for each group. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841779/en-us) I was hoping to be able to set it where if the page equals the total pages of the group, it will make the page footer visible. For some reason, if there is more than one page, it doesn't work properly. I have also used the i...

Creating Universal Groups with Distribution Group members?
Hello all. We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange 2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I think I may have to (ugh!). Here is the deal. I need to create an All Managers Universal Group with every group that has managers in it. So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to create this UG for him. So, my question is, am I not allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group? And if now, is there any way that I can take...

Distribution Group list
I have a problem with the distribution group list. Here it goes: I removed and deleted the account from this group list but whenever I send a task, it always tries to reach this deleted account and give me a undeliverable error message. Please help. Thanks Restart Exchange services. Linh wrote: > I have a problem with the distribution group list. Here > it goes: I removed and deleted the account from this > group list but whenever I send a task, it always tries to > reach this deleted account and give me a undeliverable > error message. Please help. Thanks ...

Data, Group got error message Cannot shift object off sheet
I created a command grouping several columns together by going to Data, Group. When I go to click on the "-" sign to group. It gives me an error message;"Cannot shift object off sheet". Why? and how can I fix it. Maybe you have some objects that get rearranged when you hide the columns using your grouping symbols. This may have some suggestions that work for you. It's kind of a similar problem. XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Remember to look for comments and merged ...

Local Data Groups
Hi, Does anyone know if its possible to create local data groups for offline clients and somehow push the groups out to all users, rather than going to each outlook laptop client? Jo Savidge You can deploy the SFO client using group policies. When the user next logs onto the domain the SFO client will be installed ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "Jo Savidge" <JoSavidge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAE65DA4-C2E3-4F50-A78B-39C98940A129@microsoft.c...

graphing by group
I have 10 individuals in 5 groups. I would like to graph the individuals but keeping them within their groups. When I try to graph it ends up as 10 groups. I would also like to make each group of individuals a different colour. Thanks, Tim Hi Tim In Step 2 of Chart Wizard make sure you have Series by Rows or Series by Columns correctly selected. If you groups are in different columns us Series by Columns other wise use Series by Rows -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Tim Pasma" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

managing distribution groups
Hello all, I am running exchange 2003 and I would like to know is there a way and I can have a regular user maintain my distribtion groups. If so how would I go about that? Thanks so much Mike You can grant permissions at the disty group level to allow ordinary members to add and remove users. Be careful to only do disty groups as security groups changed by users in outlook is a touch insecure. "Mike B" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F2F3709-0900-46B1-B87B-A2449FD44B75@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > > I am running exchange 2003 and...

Passing option group value to vba function
I'm sure I've done this before but can't for the life of me figure it out now, and hours of research online haven't helped. I'm simply trying to pass an option group value from a form to a vba function. I'd like the user to choose option1 or option2 and when they click a button, the function will run an if statement like "if option1.value=true then...." I've got 2 options named option1 and option2 and a frame called frame20, what else do I need? I've also tried bounding the selection to a textbox, but keep getting errors. Any help on the process? Tha...

DSum by group
I have a textbox with a DSum function, but would like it to query only within each group. It seems that most other functions (e.g Avg) automatically calculate by group, but DSum doesn't seem to be. =DSum([MKTCAP],"QryFILTER",[MKTCAP]>100) The text box is within the Group Footer, and I'd like it to return a different value below each group. Thanks! "RussG" <RussG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:697878DC-521A-4423-BB7F-97089D536EF2@microsoft.com... >I have a textbox with a DSum function, but would like it to query only >within...

Re: Protecting worksheet with grouped cells
I have a worksheet which has rows as well as cloumns grouped. After protecting the worksheet I am unable to expand and collaspe my groups. error:"You cannot use this command on a protected sheet..." Is there a work-around/solution to this problem? You can only enable outlines and have worksheet protection through a macro: With Worksheets("Sheet1") .EnableOutlining = True .Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True End With The EnableOutlining property (and UserInterfaceOnly) is not saved with the workbook unfortunately, so this code would have to be run ...

Grouping and grouping within groups
I really need help, and help fast, so thank you ahead of time! I nee to know how to group and group within a group. I have been able to d a group, but once I group within the group and try to group anothe group withing that group it combines them. I know I can put a spac between the information so it doesn't combine them but that doesn' seem to be the right way to do things. For instance I have thre different area codes and I want to group them, then within those group I have five different colors of houses in that area code. I want t group the different colors within their area ...

Transparent Owner Draw CButton
Hi All, I'm trying to build a class deriving from CButton. I've set to owner draw property and it's fine. But I want to make it a irregular button such that I want those unwanted region to be transparent, and displays the background bitmap. However, it keeps showing a GREY background in the button area. I've tried to checked the "transparent" property of that control, but it doesn't help either. Can anyone tell me how to remove the grey background please? Thx so much~! Using a custom window region can let you do stuff like that, like creating oddly shape...

Show Groups as Page Header
I used the report wizard to create a report based on a table. The table has 252 records. When I preview the report, it only shows 242 records. The records are sorted / grouped by district. In the table, the fields are District Business Name DBA Name Amount The wizard placed the District and field names into the District Name Header. To make the report more readable, how can I get the group headers to be the page headers? That is, if a group prints over more than one page, how can I get the page header to show the group name? You can set the "Repeat Section" property of the Gro...

E2K3 Storage Groups
What are advantages, and more importantly, disadvantages to using multiple Storage Groups. I have heard that having more then 2 SG's creates extra CPU load, is this true? The only benefit I see so far is logical separation for use in exchange manager, and that you can point translogs and system path to different locations, if you had different physical drives, I could see this as a benefit. I have a situation where I'd like to do the following -Storage Group for local users - Multiple stores with different store policies -Storage Group for remote users - Multiple stores with diff...

Project Server 2007 Groups not Synchronizing with AD
In my production instance, I have 2 security groups that synchronize with AD. This week, they no longer synchronize. There are no errors. AND, the training instance has exact same setup - the sync works fine in that instance. Any idea what could be causing this issue? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Free Online Courses Available for Eggheadcafe.com Users http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5261083e-6e03-4b25-8728-fc3cf6855293/free-online-courses-avail.aspx My apologies. Only one of the 2 security groups will not sync. I removed the AD...

sharing clip art from a server
I am trying to setup my classroom so that the clip art and pictures are stored on the server instead of on each computer. Can it be done? If so, how? Desktops Win 98 pentium 3 server win 2000 Thank you for your help! CG: How to Share Images from a Central Location http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307333 HOW TO: Configure Clip Gallery to Run from a Network Location in Clip Gallery 5.0 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=305507 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com &qu...

configuring news group in exchange5.5
Hi can anyone tell me as how to configure news group in exchange5.5 server? thanx in advance. gajanan ...

drawing lines in mfc
hi! i am doing an application that gets input file (gerber files) and then translate it, and then output it to a customized plotter. i would like to show a "print preview" before executing the serial communication... how do i do that? is there a predefined class for that? how can i draw lines given the coordinates? thanks so much! angel - newbie wrote: > hi! > i am doing an application that gets input file (gerber files) and then translate it, and then output it to a customized plotter. i would like to show a "print preview" before executing the serial communication....

Distribution Lists as Security Grouping
Hello Newsgroup, Very quick question. Why is it that I am unable to use my Exchange DL in assigning permissions to a Public Folder? Setup: Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1 Windows 2003 Standard SP1 Thanks .... because Distribution Groups are not security principals, cannot be assigned permissions. .... use Security Groups. If you mail-enable them they get the same functionality as distribution lists as well. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------- "Kirrin Jones" <kirrinjones@gmail.com> wrote in message ne...

Exchange Distribution Group Usable externally.
I've created a distribution list with domain and external user in it. It works fine if a domain user uses the group...the message gets sent to everyone. If an external user send to the distribution group, only the domain users get the message. Is there a way to set up the group so that when an external user sends to the distro group, everyone in the group gets the message? Thanks, Scott ugh...this works, turns out I just have a brain lapse... ...

How to add URLS in emails and send in groups
I send group emails to my customers and have my email list grouped alphabetically. Each email group I send to, I copy and paste from the previous email into the new one, but the URLS never transfer and I have to constantly renew the URLS. Of course, MS doesn't have anything like this in the help section!!! URRGGGH Any help would be appreciated! You can create a category in the Contacts instead of copy from an old email. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "mustardseed5" <mustardseed5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:898EB790-5640-487F-8F06-4DD14F...

grouping rows...
say: DEPT1 EMP1 DEPT1 EMP2 DEPT1 EMP3 DEPT2 EMP4 DEPT2 EMP5 DEPT3 EMP6 DEPT3 EMP7 .... .... .... if I want to group the rows by dept, do I have to select dept1 and group them, and select dept2 and group... for every dept? any better ideas? Data | Filter | Autofilter is probably the fastest way to simply look at rows with specific DEPT# entries in them. If you've got some special need to do much more than that with them, then we'd need a more detailed explanation of what you want to do with this information. "kang" wrote: > say: > DEPT1 ...