How can I convert a Section Group to a new Notebook in OneNote 201

Hi, I have the OneNote 2010 beta. I seem to have created lots of section
groups inside the "OneNote Notebooks" notebook. I want to split them out and
convert them into separate notebooks. When I tried manually creating new
folders and moving the files into them in Windows Explorer, I could no longer
open the files at all -- eek!

Can someone knowledgeable tell me how to do this?
onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Don't do it with Windows Explorer.

I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from the
Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

"Mimi_Tokyo" <Mimi_Tokyo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have the OneNote 2010 beta. I seem to have created lots of section
> groups inside the "OneNote Notebooks" notebook. I want to split them out
> and
> convert them into separate notebooks. When I tried manually creating new
> folders and moving the files into them in Windows Explorer, I could no
> longer
> open the files at all -- eek!
>
> Can someone knowledgeable tell me how to do this?

0
Ben
6/1/2010 9:33:05 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Don't do it with Windows Explorer.
>
> I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from
> the Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)

Hi Ben !

I would like to hear WHY NOT with Explorer ?
(technical background ?)

Bernd
0
Bernd
6/1/2010 9:56:32 PM
Oh, I dunno.   I just don't like mixing the metaphors.  It might be doable
with Explorer without causing a problem, but I just think it works more
smoothly in OneNote.  I also worry about if the OneNote TOCs will update
properly if you don't use OneNote to move the items - but that's just a
hunch.

Better safe than sorry.  If you move the sections using OneNote it will work
and you won't have any complications.  With Explorer....maybe, maybe not.

Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:

"Bernd" <fake@gmx.de> wrote in message

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
>> Don't do it with Windows Explorer.
>>
>> I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from
>> the Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)
>>

> Hi Ben !
>
> I would like to hear WHY NOT with Explorer ?
> (technical background ?)
>
> Bernd

0
Ben
6/1/2010 11:01:45 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Oh, I dunno.   I just don't like mixing the metaphors.  It might be
> doable with Explorer without causing a problem, but I just think it
> works more smoothly in OneNote.  I also worry about if the OneNote TOCs
> will update properly if you don't use OneNote to move the items - but
> that's just a hunch.
>
> Better safe than sorry.  If you move the sections using OneNote it will
> work and you won't have any complications.  With Explorer....maybe,
> maybe not.

Ok, I understand ;-)

Bernd
0
Bernd
6/2/2010 1:22:05 PM
Thanks, Ben. I did this.

Did I mention I love OneNote? :)

Interestingly: when I first tried to create the new notebook, I gave it the
same name and got a message saying "do you want to use this section group as
your new notebook?" So I said yes. And then when I opened the new notebook --
which should have been a copy of my existing section group -- all the pages
were there but the data was ABOUT A WEEK OLD. My newest changes weren't
there! Very bizarre. So I deleted that, made a new EMPTY notebook and
manually moved the files into it as you suggested.

"Ben M. Schorr, MVP" wrote:

> Don't do it with Windows Explorer.
>
> I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from the
> Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP
> Roland Schorr & Tower
> http://www.rolandschorr.com
> http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm
> Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
> http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon
>
> "Mimi_Tokyo" <Mimi_Tokyo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have the OneNote 2010 beta. I seem to have created lots of section
> > groups inside the "OneNote Notebooks" notebook. I want to split them out
> > and
> > convert them into separate notebooks. When I tried manually creating new
> > folders and moving the files into them in Windows Explorer, I could no
> > longer
> > open the files at all -- eek!
> >
> > Can someone knowledgeable tell me how to do this?

Removing Page or Section Break
I am editing a document and when I turn on characters, I have run across these "Chinese Star" characters that seem to act like page breaks. According to other articles listed in newsgroups, there are no page breaks. How do I get rid of this character? ...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Naming A Grouping
Is it possible to title a grouping so people know what they are expanding and collapsing? No....but that's not a bad idea. An alternative is to put text in the cell next to the [+] or [-] button like: <-Click here to expand/collapse myGroup Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Nora" wrote: > Is it possible to title a grouping so people know what they are expanding and > collapsing? ...

audible click when opening a new window.
I know I should be able to find this somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out. When I open a new folder or window there is a "click" sound that the computer makes. How can I turn this off? Thanks! Amadeus Try: Control Panel-Sounds "Start Navigation" and "Complete Navigation" are the relevant items. ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows -Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:56:27 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, Amadeus <Amadeus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I kno...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Differentiate row based on date grouping
I created a form with data sorting by date field. Some date may have more than 1 row. Samples are as follows :- Date Event 7/22/2007 AAAA 8/22/2007 AAAA 8/22/2007 BBBB 9/22/2007 CCCC Is it possible to have the Form show alternate color for row 7/22/2007, 8/22/2007 (2 rows with same color), 9/22/2007 ? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Can not archive

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...

Convert Excel
How do I convert a database in Excel into Access? Thanks Hi Sue, It depends what you mean by "database". Usually it's fairly simple to move the data from Excel worksheets to Access tables, but anything else - searching, sorting, reporting, validation... - has to be re-created using Access's tools. In general, start by creating a new Access database, then import the data from the Excel workbook. Often, an Excel "database" benefits from being split into two or more related tables in Access; see "About designing a database" in Help - and there's a Ta...

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...