Using a range in Sum Function

I have run across an oddity in Exel 2010 Trial Edition.

If I define a range to be cells c1, d1, f1 and g1 using the Name Manager and
then put the following in another cell:

=Sum(range name), the function returns the proper value.

BUT, each time I open the worksheet after just viewing it (not changing
anything), Excel asks me if I want to save the changes.  I didn't make any
changes so why should it ask me that?

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you.

0
Jack

Do you have something in a header or footer that deals with current time or
date?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>I have run across an oddity in Exel 2010 Trial Edition.
>
> If I define a range to be cells c1, d1, f1 and g1 using the Name Manager
> and then put the following in another cell:
>
> =Sum(range name), the function returns the proper value.
>
> BUT, each time I open the worksheet after just viewing it (not changing
> anything), Excel asks me if I want to save the changes.  I didn't make any
> changes so why should it ask me that?
>
> Is there a solution to this?
>
> Thank you.

0
JoAnn
6/6/2010 6:58:10 PM
Thank you very much.

Actually, this problem occurs in a brand new, empty workbook. No macros, no
data, no nothing.

"JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have something in a header or footer that deals with current time
> or date?
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>>I have run across an oddity in Exel 2010 Trial Edition.
>>
>> If I define a range to be cells c1, d1, f1 and g1 using the Name Manager
>> and then put the following in another cell:
>>
>> =Sum(range name), the function returns the proper value.
>>
>> BUT, each time I open the worksheet after just viewing it (not changing
>> anything), Excel asks me if I want to save the changes.  I didn't make
>> any changes so why should it ask me that?
>>
>> Is there a solution to this?
>>
>> Thank you.

0
Jack

UDF Function
Hi, I have many different long formulas and I need to name each of them This way I will be able to say: Choose(A1, ATV,AVG,Unit) If cell A1 = 2 the cell will use the function AVG and show the results My problem is when I create the functions I get an #Value in cell Example : Lets say AVG is one of my Function In VB I have: Function AVG() ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGE (RC[-3]:RC[-1])" End Function In Excel I have In Cell A1 = 2 Cols----> b C D E Row2--> 100 50 100 =Choose(A1,ATV, AVG,Unit) Beca...

Summing by Date Range
I have a spreadsheet containing purchases made at various suppliers. Columns are Supplier, Invoice Date and Amount. It's easy enough to use SUMIF and return a figure for how much I spent at each supplier, but I can't figure out to calculate how much I spent in a given span of time, or better yet, how much I spent in a given timespan at a given supplier. Right now my primary concern is calculating how much I spent in each tax year, say, from Jan 1, 1998 to Dec 31, 1998 and so on. It must be simple but I'm breaking my head on it. Any takers? KZ Hi! To sum for a specific time-spa...

Which Mac Office 2004 licenses have I used?
Hey there - we're struggling with office 2004 at the moment; we must have installed the same license key on more than iMac - can someone tell me how to check which of our 3 licenses we've used? We have a 3 license version, installed twice and they won't let each other run simultaneously (without pulling out one of the network cables that is) Thanks! Alan Melbourne Hiya to change the licence: 1. run the Office Removal tool, you will find it here: Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office/ RemoveOffice 2. When the first screen appear "Welcome to r...

Can i use a MFC control in a non-MFC window ?
Hi, I'd like to use a MFC control in a non-MFC window (for GINA limitations). Is it possible to link this control to my window handle ? The requirement when developping a GINA is that i have to use the DialogBox function provided by the Winlogon, and so, I can't use a pure MFC dialog box without overloading the DoModal function and it's a big mess. For one of my windows i want to use the CListBoxST class found on CodeGuru. So i wanted to create a CListBoxST objet and attach it to my window handle. Is it possible without having to "port" the whole class in Win...

How to Control Template Styles when using Word as Email Editor?
I have a "funny" thing going on with Word and Outlook (Version 2003 in both). Configured Word as email editor, sending in "plain text". Worked great. (main purpose is to get Word's writing not formatting features). While writing in Word (nothing to do with Outlook) I changed paragraph format for "normal" style in normal.dot to "6 point after", e.g. 1/2 a line. Didn't like that change to changed it back. to "0" lines after. Ever since that change, when editing email in Outlook, it has 1/2 line spacing after each paragraph. Thi...

Hotmail and MS Exchange using Outlook 2003
I have a client using Outlook 2003 on a Win XP SP2 workstation attached to a SBS 2003 server running Exchange 2003. This client uses Hotmail for his public (external) e-mail, but uses Exchange server to send e-mails to other LAN users within the office. Everything works OK, except that each time he reboots the workstation, Exchange becomes the default e-mail transport. This causes messages sent via Hotmail to fail. We can work around the issue by setting Hotmail to be the default transport after we reboot, but the settings don't persist through a reboot of the workstation. Does any...

How to I use ** without Excel thinking I want to type a formula?
I am using Excel (Office 2003) to create a table and I need to use two of these: * to indicate significant results for a research study. How do I tell Excel that I just want to display this symbol after a three digit number without it thinking I want to type a formula? Turn off Lotus transition under tools>options>transition and uncheck transition formula entry Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Buff" wrote: > I am using Excel (Office 2003) to create a table and I need to use two of > these: * to indicate significant results for a research study. How do I tell > Excel th...

Dynamic Range??? Please Help
=IF(C7="","",VLOOKUP(C7,'Sheet3 (2)'!$A$2:$C$152,2,FALSE)) this is my formula I would like to be able to add the list. I tried following the dynamic range instrutions but it's not working. Thank you hen I add to the list I want some with the formula and so without. Is that possible. What determines the bottom of your list? Col a, b or c? on the sheet where the list is>insert>name>define>name it mylist or whatever in the refers to box type =offset($a$2,0,0,counta($a:$a),3) then =IF(C7="","",VLOOKUP(C7,mylist,2,0)) -- Don G...

Edit Named Ranges
I have a Named Range, Alaska, with the cities in Alaska I need to add more cities, so I need to change the range to includ more cities. Also I have a named range, Alabama, with cities in Alabama. I need to delete cities, so I need to change the range to include les cites. Any Advice or hints? thank You in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try dynamic ranges: http://cpearson.com/excel/named.htm#Dynamic In article <monagan.1ad7se@excelforum-nospam.com>, monagan <<monagan.1ad7se@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > I have a Named Range, Alaska, ...

using outlook #2
can someone tell me how to start using outlook and how to get it to receive my emails direct into outlook? I don't know what version you are running but try this. Open Outlook and go to the Tools Menu. Select either Services or Accounts and begin to set up your account. You will probably need to add an Address Book, and Personal Folder, and an Email account type. We normally use Internet E-Mail. You will need to configure the account type with name, address, and maikl server info. "Justin-Lost" wrote: > can someone tell me how to start using outlook and how to get it t...

"IF" Function question
Hello I am trying to create a spreadsheet to keep track of scores. Each score has a corresponding number of points. For example if the score is between 170 and 174.5 the number of points is 1, if it is between 175 and 179.5 it is 2 and so on up to 200 where it is worth 8 points. I can't seem to figure out how to tell excel that if the score falls between two numbers display this value. I have tried it multiple ways such as =IF(D8>=170<=174.5,1, IF(D8>=175<=179.5,2, IF(D8>=180<=184.5,3, IF(D8>=185<=189.5,4, IF(D8>=190<=194.5,4, IF(D8>=195<=197.5,6, IF(D8...

Count/Sum rows of a column depending on criteria from drop-down li
Hi, I have a question here, appreciate any help. Prod ID Jan Feb Mar.... Prod A 10 5 3 Prod B 3 - - Prod A 4 7 1 Prod C 5 2 7 In Cell A8 = Prod A At cell B7, it is a data validation(drop-down list) for Jan~Dec In B8 cell, I need a formula to calculate When Prod ID = Prod A and when month selected is Mar, the sum, ie. result is 4. In C8 cell, I need a formula to calculate When Prod ID = Prod A and when month selected is Mar, the count if value is > 0, ie. result is 2 I know I may have to use sumproduct, som...

Printing using MFC ??
Hi, I have some printing related Qs in MFC frame work. 1. How to print big text on multiple pages. My undersatnding is that for every page OnPrint is called, Is this correct ? So OnPrint will be called n number of times ??? 2. How can I put some gaps between text and start the printing on a new page. Reagrds, Harvinder Singh Harvinder Singh, Check out the following link (beware of wrapping): http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/ht ml/_core_printing.3a_.multipage_documents.asp Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "harvinder singh&qu...

@which function to use when
Sir, I have a row in excel with cells containing 88.23, 89.01, 72.39, 54.52 and I want to know which fuction/formula to use for making these as 88.25, 89.00, 72.40, 54.50. Please help. Thanks. On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 01:43:23 +0530, "Sandeep Lohchab" <sandeeplohchab@yahoo.com> wrote: >Sir, I have a row in excel with cells containing 88.23, 89.01, 72.39, >54.52 and I want to know which fuction/formula to use for making these as >88.25, 89.00, 72.40, 54.50. Please help. Thanks. > Try this formula: =MROUND(A1,0.05) Hope this helps / Lars-...

Use of the DSUM function
Who can give me a hand? I am using the function below; so far so good. DAvg("[wng_OPP_SLPK1]";"TBL_Woningen";"[wng_CFT Code] = """ & [pdt_CFT code] & """") Now I need to generate a sum on a field that contains the value "J". How can I change the function: Sum(IIf([TBL_Woningen]![wng_COD_INDCV]="J";1;0)) into a DSum function where the field to sum is wng_COD_INDCV (with the text "J"), the table TBL_Woningen and the criteria [wng_CFT Code] = """ & [pdt_CFT code] & "...

Named Range #2
I've named few ranges through VBA by using this code For i = 1 To 15 ' Define the name for the variables ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=Worksheets("ST&GT DATA").Cells(1, i), RefersToR1C1:= _ "=OFFSET('ST&GT DATA'!R1C1,'ST&GT DATA'!R1C214," & (i - 1) & ",'ST&GT DATA'!R1C216,1)" Next i which is working fine, but when i try to refer it in a chart, an error msg is popping up saying "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet, Verify that the path, workbook, and range name...

search two tables for all dates in range
Hi all (Access 2003) I have a union query which combines all dates for an activity from two tables (Itinerary [ReviewDate] and Itinerary Dates [ReviewDates]). I then have another query which links this query with the Itinerary table and filters on a specified period (startdate and enddate), it only shows the records and start dates from the Itinerary table so I get the Itinerary displayed only once. This returns the correct recordset but it is not updateable and I need the user to be able to edit the records on my form. Is there another way round this please? Thanks... Sue ...

Missing engineering functions
In an earlier version of Excel, I had "engineering functions" like =dec2hex and =hex2dec. Not, in Excel 2003, I see them in the "help files' but not in my list of available formulas. How do I get them to work in Excel 2003? Thanks in advance, Geoff Waters Glendale, CA Geoff, I don't have Excel 2003, but you should be able to go to Tools | Add-ins and check mark "Analysis Took Pak" in the list that appears. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, CA "Geoff" <grw888@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:zwfIc.299$Qu5.238@newsread2.news.pas.earthli...

Sheet Function
Hello, Is there a function that will give you the sheet name in a cell? (Example: A1) I would like to write an IF statement that will refer to Sheet Names. Thanks Ruan Try this: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255) Note: the file must already exist. In other words, the workbook must have been saved and given a file name. Biff "Ruan" <ruanwalters@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23cje2PRQHHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there a function that will give you the sheet name in a cell? (E...

Office Live
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Thanks for your help. <br><br>I am trying to use Office Live to collaboratively edit a Word document. Everything works fine until I click on the &quot;edit&quot; button, when I get this error message:&quot;To complete installation of the Office Live Update, close all browser windows and then open your browser again.&quot; <br><br>I have restarted the browser (tried both Safari and Firefox) and computer, to no avail. I installed the update for Mac Office 12.2.3, and still no luck. <br...

Using percentages #2
I am using percentages to calculate a score of 1 - 5 which updates a dashboard. I have an average of multiple scores adding up to 100% or less. I would like to make an input of 0 to remove this column from the average of other scores. example " =average(i7:i16)" if "i8" input is "0", remove "i8" from average "=average(i7,i9:i16)"... Any suggestions, (thanking you in advance) Use your formula like this... =SUM($I$7:$I$16)/(COUNT($I$7:$I$16)-COUNTIF($I$7:$I$16,0)) Just change the cell reference to your desired cell if required. If t...

Date Function to go back 6 months
I want a query to only pull records going back 6 months from the current month, how do I do this? I know I can use a Between but I don't want to have to go in and change the Dates each month. I just want it to automatically pull everything from Current Month Back 6 Months. Any help is greatly appreciated Brian -- Brian Conner Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-programming/200912/1 Ok, I think I have it, I used the following: C.CLOSE_DATE BETWEEN GETDATE() AND GETDATE()-6 Brian Conner wrote: >I want a query...

How do I use vbSendMail with this Project?
I have a VB5 project that has a button that I want to click and have the vbSsendMail form display from which I will send Emails to some customers. ********Sample Code in this VB5 Project below: Option Explicit Private Sub Load() End Sub Private Sub cmdSendEmail_Click() MsgBox "Need code here to ""Send an Email"" using vbSendMail" End Sub Private Sub cmdExit_Click() End End Sub I have downloaded the vbSendmail.dll and registered it on my computer. What code do I need to insert in the project above to make I make it happen? "Denn...

Send as permissions using exchange 2003
Hi, I have a client who we are trying to configure send as rights for. Basically if i go into user object > exchange advanced > mailbox rghts > advanced > add user > edit permissions I am unable to see the option to send or receive as. I have tried to enable send as on the object using adsiedit but this does not seem to translate to being available in the ADUC If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Matthew As it is, i actually left the permissions applied in adsiedit and after a while it started working. Still strange tht i cannot see the send as rights in ADU...