synchronization of files

Hello.  Two questions:
1) So if multiple people are editing the same file - how does that get
resolved?  What if they were editing the same line - who's changes take
precidence?
2) Do we end up saving our document (word for example) in a 'groove' folder
on our hard drive?  on our network?  is the document stored in your file
repository?
Thanks.

I had an Excel file that several departments whanted to share. I asked the
Excel MVPs about that and they told me to avoid it at all costs.
Unfortunately these departments insisted. It 's a nightmare just waiting to
happen. I no longer work with that file so I can't tell you if it's still
working properly. Just the other week we had another instance of various
depts wanting to share a spreadsheet. I talked them out of that one.

Why is it necessary for multiple people to access the file at the same time?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JJL" <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.  Two questions:
> 1) So if multiple people are editing the same file - how does that get
> resolved?  What if they were editing the same line - who's changes take
> precidence?
> 2) Do we end up saving our document (word for example) in a 'groove'
> folder
> on our hard drive?  on our network?  is the document stored in your file
> repository?
> Thanks.

0
JoAnn
6/7/2010 3:20:00 PM
in access, the database could
be edited.

however, others could only
view the database while it
was being edited.

basically access allowed one
instance of editing and it
locked the database as
read only for every one
else.

might want to search for
collaboration or
locking users

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

"JJL" <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.  Two questions:
> 1) So if multiple people are editing the same file - how does that get
> resolved?  What if they were editing the same line - who's changes take
> precidence?
> 2) Do we end up saving our document (word for example) in a 'groove'
> folder
> on our hard drive?  on our network?  is the document stored in your file
> repository?
> Thanks.

0
Db
6/7/2010 8:08:16 PM
Not so, Access should be set to lock only the record actually being
edited.  See Record locking in Access Help.

Db wrote:
> in access, the database could
> be edited.
>
> however, others could only
> view the database while it
> was being edited.
>
> basically access allowed one
> instance of editing and it
> locked the database as
> read only for every one
> else.
>
> might want to search for
> collaboration or
> locking users

0
Bob

".pst is not a personal folders file"
Bought a new computer when hard drive died. Luckily I had a recent backup of data. Copied my data files over to my new computer, including the Outlook.pst I have been using in Outlook 2003 just fine. Got Outlook 2003 up and running just fine, except .... Regardless of what I do, I cannot get Outlook to open the Outlook.pst file. I keep getting an error that says "Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file". I've tried opening it as the new format, as the old format, tried importing it, etc... Outlook won't accept it any way. So I thought that file might be ...

File Encoding in VC
I want to encode my file with UTF-8. I have successfully done it in VB using filesystemobject Dim fso As New FileSystemObject Set stream = fso.CreateTextFile(Trim(“c:\\abc.xml”, True, True) Third argument set encoding if use True then file created with UNICODE other wise ANSII. Now the I am facing problem in VC. How I can achieve this ecoding in VC or in MFC while creating a new file. Waiting for positive reply. 1) Make your project character set UNICODE (see 1st page of Project/Settings in VC6 - or Project/Properties in VC7). 2) Denote string constants as _T("...."). 3) Pers...

Converting / Squishing a publisher file
Yes I'm new to this...I have a promo document created in publisher...its over 30MB. I've had it converted to PDF format, however, its still 2MB...I was hoping someone had some ideas of how to make the file smaller...is there a way this can be done? I need to make it down to 1MB, for posting on a website...hence can it somehow be squished? I'd rather not break the document up...and looks great in the publisher format, as opposed to other programs. If you are using it on a web site, bring the images into an editing program and reduce the resolution of the images. Web pages...

Excel Backup Files, shared Network
Hi there, There is a spreadsheet that my team uses (team of 30), which is accessed upto 50 times or more a day and it regularly either dissapears or becomes corrupt. The file is stored on a large shared network. Our IT support provider only provides backup copies every evening. Is there a more regular way of keeping back-up copies - say every hour? Is there an 'automatic' way of doing this, rather than someone manual backing-up a copy every hour? Your help would be appreciated, Thanks all, :) -- genuinegal --------------------------------------------------------------...

how do i read an 2000 office Premium Excel file? I don't have the.
Hi All, My first time here. I have just received a Microsoft Office Premium 2000 Excel based Attachment on an e-mail and i don't have the program !! How can i read it ? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks David. You can download a free Excel viewer from Microsoft, here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C8378BF4-996C-4569-B547-75EDBD03AAF0&displaylang=en Excellant... It's easy when u know how!!! Where does one store all this knowledge? Thanks for the help DNA. "DNA" wrote: > You can download a free Excel viewer fr...

Sharing .pst files over a network
When opening a .pst file from our network, I am losing the checkmark in the box called "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" under Properties/Outlook Address Book tab. How can I configure the .pst file to keep that box checked when transferred over our network? Thanks. Todd ...

File format converter won't work
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C5F418.4A470D10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable After several months without problem, Publisher 2003 now will not open a = text file created in Word. I get this error message after I try to = insert it into a text box: "Publisher cannot start the file format converter C:\program = files\Microsoft shared\Textconv\msconv97.dll" I KNOW msconv97.dll is there. I've run the "Fix" program and also = uninstalled Publisher and then r...

computer updated lost all old emails and files on outlook
recently had my computer cleaned of viruses and updated with new programs including a newer version of outlook .. seem to have lost all my files containing my emails - 6 years !!!.. Need to know if they are stored on computer or via a server ,.. How do iget them back .. please help !!!!! thanks Ashley "Ashley marshall" <Ashley marshall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD5B4FAA-C552-44F7-B1F9-B89376F80D9A@microsoft.com... > recently had my computer cleaned of viruses and updated with new programs > including a newer version of outlook...

remove old entries: File-Open-Other user's folder
Hello, Can anyone tell me how to remove or edit the list that shows up under File -> Open? The list is of previously opened Other User's Folders, like calendars. Thanks in advance, Matt The answer to my question is at these links: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288570 http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/mru.htm Matt "Matt" <matt@nospam.com> wrote in message news:epGxISMqFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Can anyone tell me how to remove or edit the list that shows up under > File -> Open? The list is of previously opened Other...

Deleting file and path
I have a form that is bound to a hyperlink table. I have a delete button with which you can delete the particular hyperlink record including the underlying file. The function that executes the code, first tries to delete the file. If that's successful, the hyperlink record is deleted. There could be situations where the hyperlink record can't be deleted for instance because it's locked. In that case the function would already have deleted the file, while the hyperlink record remains there. Is there a way I could perhaps 'pre-lock' the hyperlink record, so ...

Offline Folder Synchronization and XP SP2
Hi, Has anyone else experienced a problem when synchronizing upon exit on Outlook 2000 SP3 with it just hanging while synchronizing the Outlook Security Settings folder. This now occurs since installing XP SP2, also it happens on another laptop. I have recreated my ost file to no avail. Thanks. Malc. ...

2007 Outlook.exe process consume CPU and continues running after File->Exit
I have Outlook 2007 running under Windows Vista and have a situation where Outlook consumes the majority of my CPU cyles (always above 80% in the Windows Task Manager) and close Outlook using File->Exit, the outlook.exe process continues to run and consume CPU cycles. I can't run Outlook again unless I terminate the process. Anyone else seen this behavior? Any solutions? In my add-in list I have the following, some of which surprised me: Cloudmark Desktop (Spam catcher) iTunes Outlook Addin (? didn't know iTunes did this) Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging Microsoft Offic...

Attaching files #2
I recently had a problem with Outlook and had to reload the whole operating system. Now when I attach files the show up in the body of the email. In the past they always showd up under the subject line along side the word "attachments". I would like them to show up under the subject line like before, but cannot find an option to change this. Please advise. Thanks tools, options, mail format and change it to plain text or html, not Rich Text. On 23 Apr 2004 10:54, "ELBrian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recently had a problem with Outlo...

Write XML File to Web Server File Problems
Hello All, I am about to go mad because of the wonderful error messages that don't provide enough detail. Below is the code I am trying to use to take an updated dataset and write it back to a file on a web server.... ' Create WebClient Dim oClient As New WebClient oClient.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials 'Create Output Stream Dim oStream As Stream = oClient.OpenWrite(sFileUrl, "PUT") ' Create the StreamWriter Dim oXMLTextWriter = New System.Xml.XmlTextWriter(oStream, System.Text.Encodin...

Remove PST files from Outlook 2003 or 2007 profile
Our Sys Admins are trying to come up with a way to remove a PST file from an Outlook profile. We have a way to batch a login script in Active Directory so that we can delete the PST file from the user's PC, but no way to stop the inevitable error message when Outlook can't find the file(s) at next start-up. Ideally, we would like to have a script or command that removes any PST from the Outlook profile that we could batch at login, followed by our PST delete script. Any way to do this? There was a blog from 2006 (http:// jeremiahcook.blogspot.com/2006/08/how-to-remove-psts-from- ou...

How can I determine that two paths point to the same file?
Given two file paths, I would like to determine with certainty whether those paths refer to the same physical file. Now, there is Path.GetFullPath(), and that's very helpful. But what if I refer to a file on my machine through a UNC path? Example: C:\Temp\123.txt \\MYCOMP\DRIVE_C\Temp\123.txt \\MYCOMP\DRIVE_C is a share mapped to C:\, so ultimately both these paths point to the same physical file. Does the .NET Framework provide any means of mapping this? Please note that I don't in any way expect to get local path translation for a REMOTE server, but I think it ough...

2G limitation of OST file
What happens if there are more than 2G emails which are required to synchronize to OST file? Would it create multiple one when approaching size limit? Peter wrote: > What happens if there are more than 2G emails which are required to > synchronize to OST file? Would it create multiple one when > approaching size limit? No, I think it will just stop working. Using OL2003 will let you have a larger OST file (use cached mode; it's very nice to have) ...

VBA
Hi! I would like to close a file without saving changes to the file. The file to close: "Cost.dat" Filename is assigned to a variable - cost = "C:\My Documents\Cost.dat" I am using the code: Workbooks(cost).Close savechanges:=0 I get error message: Subscript out of range Thanks in advance! You don't supply the drive and folder to the workbooks collection. You'll have to separate it so that it looks more like: workbooks("cost.dat").close savechanges:=false But another way is to use a variable to represent that workbook. dim CostWkbk as workboo...

Can't open Publisher 2000 files with 2004
I have searched these forums, without success to find a reason for why I can't open Publisher 2000 files with my current Publisher 2003. The files are created by our church secretary using Publisher 2000. The files are our church newsletter, and I use them to update our website. I don't have Norton Antivirus, and I have run the Detect and Repair from the original instillation disk. But, I am still unable to open the files. Any suggestions, since I don't have a copy of 2000, and the church doesn't have a copy of 2003. How were you given those files? Were they saved to a fl...

how do I change a csv extension file to an xls file and use it?
I have a file that was saved as a csv extention and want to put the information from the comma delimited pieces into their own cells. How do I convert from csv to xls (Excel 2007) and get the cells to be used? Open excel Open your file The CSV data should go into separate columns. Save the file as a normal workbook (*.xlsx) or .xls if you have to share it with people who use xl2003 or earlier. If the CSV data comes in and it's all in column A, then select column A Then use Text to columns on the Data tab of the ribbon. Delimited (by commas) debby wrote: > ...

printing labels from an excel file
hi, i need some help. i have an excel file that i need to convert into labels to put on envelopes. in the first colum i have first names, second column last names, third colum addresses etc etc... how can i be able to print these on labels insted of re-typing each address as i have over 300 of them. i have tried to do a mail merge in word, but it does not work. thanks so much. sam -- sammyboy13 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sammyboy13's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37315 View this thread: http://w...

Open excel files disappear from toolbar
Hi, Excel 2000 / Win XP Pro. When I have more than one excel file open, the active file stays in the toolbar and the others end up in "window" which is a pain when trying to move between open files. WORD keeps all the files in the toolbar. Can anyone help? It's a pain! Is "Tools->Options->View" - "Windows in task bar" what you're after? -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Glen_S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:235C1881-2C7B-4B29-BF5D-B48874680...

Outlook 2003 data files
My computer was reformatted by a technician and I was able to backup all my files to a CD. After reinstalling Office and Outlook I am unable to open the pst file any longer because it says it is not a recognised outlook file. I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you Did you copy the files back to the hard drive and remove the read-only attribute? If the answer to this is yes, then there is a possibility that the PST file was burned to the CDR/RW at a speed that was too fast and it corrupted the file. "Suresh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Open an existing excel speadsheet, opens Excel but not the file??
Hi, I have a problem... I open an Existing Excel Speadsheet by either double clicking on the icon on my desktop or on my drives i would have it saved, or from and Outlook Email attachment. This opens up Excel 2003, but does not actually open the file/spreadsheet in the excel window, and its not hidden as i have checked 'Window' from the tom menu selection I can access my speadsheet by having excell open, and going through File Open... Does anyone know what the problem is? Hi Smeeta Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try ...

unlock file
Learning Publisher 2003. Newletter file locked on full. Can't get in or recover. How? catears wrote: > Learning Publisher 2003. Newletter file locked on full. > Can't get in or recover. How? ============================= Is this a file you saved and re-opened? What format is it saved in? -- John Inzer return e-mail disabled Is it a merge file? Is it a "read only" file? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "catears" <catears@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C...