synchronization of files

Hello.  Two questions:
1) So if multiple people are editing the same file - how does that get
resolved?  What if they were editing the same line - who's changes take
precidence?
2) Do we end up saving our document (word for example) in a 'groove' folder
on our hard drive?  on our network?  is the document stored in your file
repository?
Thanks.

I had an Excel file that several departments whanted to share. I asked the
Excel MVPs about that and they told me to avoid it at all costs.
Unfortunately these departments insisted. It 's a nightmare just waiting to
happen. I no longer work with that file so I can't tell you if it's still
working properly. Just the other week we had another instance of various
depts wanting to share a spreadsheet. I talked them out of that one.

Why is it necessary for multiple people to access the file at the same time?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JJL" <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.  Two questions:
> 1) So if multiple people are editing the same file - how does that get
> resolved?  What if they were editing the same line - who's changes take
> precidence?
> 2) Do we end up saving our document (word for example) in a 'groove'
> folder
> on our hard drive?  on our network?  is the document stored in your file
> repository?
> Thanks.

0
JoAnn
6/7/2010 3:20:00 PM
in access, the database could
be edited.

however, others could only
view the database while it
was being edited.

basically access allowed one
instance of editing and it
locked the database as
read only for every one
else.

might want to search for
collaboration or
locking users

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

"JJL" <JJL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.  Two questions:
> 1) So if multiple people are editing the same file - how does that get
> resolved?  What if they were editing the same line - who's changes take
> precidence?
> 2) Do we end up saving our document (word for example) in a 'groove'
> folder
> on our hard drive?  on our network?  is the document stored in your file
> repository?
> Thanks.

0
Db
6/7/2010 8:08:16 PM
Not so, Access should be set to lock only the record actually being
edited.  See Record locking in Access Help.

Db wrote:
> in access, the database could
> be edited.
>
> however, others could only
> view the database while it
> was being edited.
>
> basically access allowed one
> instance of editing and it
> locked the database as
> read only for every one
> else.
>
> might want to search for
> collaboration or
> locking users

0
Bob

how do I stop outlook 2003 from synchronizing folders
this synchronizing is a real pain...how can I stop if from continually doing it? thanks Mike (from Australia) mikeo;143428 Wrote: > this synchronizing is a real pain...how can I stop if from continually > doing > it? > > thanks > > Mike (from Australia) What type of email account do you have? If Hotmail using the Connector, remove the account, uninstall the connector and install v14 beta connector then recreate the account. Outlook Connector14 Beta 32-bit: http://tinyurl.com/y8vkkx2 -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions...

Deleting unwanted "Temporary" files
A web site has downloaded several files (gif, css and js) to my Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files folder. I do not want them on my PC since I don't know what they do and they were downloaded without my knowledge. I have tried to delete them, but can not do so. I used CCleaner to remove them, but when I reboot, theye are still there. They seem to be "permanent" and I can not remove, rename, edit or anything. Properties tell me nothing. In Windows Explorer, they file name is truncated and the internet address is listed. How can I get rid of them? I wil...

Automatically upload EFT file to bank? 02-17-10
Does anyone know of any communications software that enables a payables EFT file to automatically upload to the bank? Please disregard this post, it is a duplicate. Sorry about that. If anyone knows how to delete posts, feel free to let me know. Thank you. "MichelleKay" wrote: > Does anyone know of any communications software that enables a payables EFT > file to automatically upload to the bank? ...

inserting file path!
hi all! how can i insert the 'file path' in all (existing as well as new) my word documents..?! any hlp..? -via135 What you do mean "insert"? Insert where? I guess (only a guess) you are talking about the field "filename"? When you insert that field somewhere, on the dialog box press the "Options..." button. Then press the tab "Field Specific Switches" to turn on the \p switch (by pressing "add to field" button) which addes the file system's path to the file name in the field. You'll have to go back...

Synchronization error
We have a user who receives an error each time her Outlook attempts to synchronize on her laptop. In the synchronization log in her deleted items, it appears as: 8:57:13 Error synchronizing folder 8:57:13 [8004010F-501-8004010F-521] 8:57:13 The client operation failed. 8:57:13 Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store 8:57:13 For more information on this failure, click the URL below: 8:57:13 http://www.microsoft.com/support/prodredirect/outlook2000_u s.asp?err=8004010f-501-8004010f-521 The strange thing is, it does not appear that anything is synchronizing incorrectly...

send rows of excel sheet to text file
I want to input data into cells in a spreadsheet and then send or save the data to a txt file without any delimiters. ie go from excel columns ABC 123 T456 to ABC123T456 Each row would need to be a new line in the text file Any ideas Thanks Chris Chris, Use the Text Write Program at www.tushar-mehta.com. Select your cells, and use the selection option. Leave the delimiter box blank. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Chris" <chris.nospam@nospam.atlas-anchor.com> wrote in message news:Ot0cb....

Synchronization issues for Calendar items in Entourage 2004
I'm using Entourage 2004 to connect to an Exchange 2003 server at work. On my desktop, the calendar seems to work fine. But from laptops, there are problems: I made changes to a couple of calendar items, and eventually closed the laptop. I got to work, and don't see the changes reflected here. Another laptop I opened at home took one old calendar entry and used it to replace a more recent one, losing my changes! What's going on - is there a way I can track the synchronization and perhaps set some clients to be "read-only"? I hate the fact that some changes don'...

Synchronization
Our Windows XP machine syncronizes with a folder on the server named "Dennis". We have added a new user and want it to synchronize to a different folder .. for "Brad" ... But the synchronize manager will not allow us to change the folder. Have read instructions and find no solution ... Appreciate any assistance ... Brad ...

Transfering Outlook Files to a new computer (Using Outlook 2007)
I recently bought a new computer (PC), and want to move my Outlook Account Information (Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks) over to the new computer without having to re-enter everything by hand. I used to have AOL (sorry), and I knew the AOL folder (pfc folder) to copy and paste which stored everything with ease. I merely kept a copy of that AOL pfc folder on a data stick so if ever I had a computer crash, or bought a new computer, all my AOL address book and contact information could be easily transfered. I do not know how to find or access this information (folders/files) with...

file size
I just converted from Quicken, Q2003 to Mny2004. I have data going back to 1994 insofar as investment transactions and to 1999 insofar as my check register. The size of my Money is 41 MB. Quicken usally runs about 5-6 MB for a file normal file this size. I have no problem with the large file but I just wondered if it was more or less normal. I converted a quicken file that was somehow messed up and had started growing and reached 140 MB. It was impossible to fix it with Quickens antiquated Qif file export/import setup so I converted to Money and it converted without a hitch and was reduc...

Saving shared Excel files
Question about saving excel documents when saving a shared excel file, how do you get it to save to where when you reopen it it will open at the end of a document, and with this being a shared file after other users save it, need to be able to open to the end of file. Thanks Scott scasawyer wrote: > Question about saving excel documents > when saving a shared excel file, how do you get it to save to where when you > reopen it it will open at the end of a document, and with this being a > shared file after other users save it, need to be able to open to the end of > f...

Synchronize personal addressbook with LDAP server
Can I synchronize my personal addressbook with LDAP server. I am looking for a utility that can synchronize in the background without any interaction required Thanks Ram Please cc me at ram @ netcore.co.in I am not subscribed to this list ...

creation of synchronization log messages #3
I have outlook XP on win2k, and my deleted items folder is being filled by "synchronization log" messages at the rate of 1 per minute. They appear to be simply a log (no problems indicated). Here's a sample from the log... 16:44:06 Synchronizing Hierarchy 16:44:06 Synchronizing Favorites 16:44:06 Synchronizing Folder 'Inbox' .... 16:44:07 Done 16:44:08 Microsoft Exchange offline address book 16:44:08 0X8004010F Where is a setting in outlook where I can disable this? Thanks! Tools->Send Receive. Set your offline folders to only sync on exit. --� Milly Staples...

File Extensions
I've lost all emails and attachments from O. E. after upgrading to Windows XP and Office XP. I can't find a list of file extensions for Express in any help. Anyone know these extensions? Thanks Hi - they're .dbx files. But note - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.ine...

can't open any publisher files
It's a recently installed publisher 2003 program, brand new. I just tried to open the magazine I've been creating and it says it can't find it. Then when I navigate it says 'publisher cannot open the file'. Great, thanks, a really helpful message. it's the same with all my other publisher files. What can I do? I can't believe they've all corrupted at once.... and how can I stop this happening again? Thanks for any help, sarah Did you activate Publisher? Help, Activate product. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ ...

File Synchronization
So that I have my documents with me at all times and so that "My Documents" are the same on both my home desktop and my laptop, I set my "My Documents" address on my laptop to my "My Documents" folder on the desktop and set the files to be made available offline. As with all offline shared file synchronization processes, when I synchronize my files, the system scans all files of both computers for any changes or new files, and if and only if there are any, it synchronizes those changes or new files. For some odd reason, I have a handful or so of ...

linking forms in 2 files
Can you link forms like you can link tables? The reason I'm asking is that I have 1 master database and 3 user databases where I have linked the tables. Each database has the same form - for inputing data. If in the future, I want to make a change to the form, I want to do it only in the master database and have the other user databases update automatically. Is this possible? In Access 2000, under tools/database utilities, there is a menu item--database splitter. There isn't a lot about this in the online help that i could find. However, it is useful with multiusers. On Thu...

REPLACE across multiple excel files
I've built a series of data sheets, across several different folders o our network drive. I now need to replace one of the names in the data with another one. e.g. "Jimmy" > "James" Is there any cunning macro that would recursively step through eac file in each folder, replacing the text: before I resort to doing i manually. :( Cheers, Jo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, I don't know how cunning this macro is, but it looks for "john" and replaces with "BIGJOHN". Try on TEST files 1st - you have to itemize each file...

INSERTING FILES
Hi, Does anyone know of a way to insert a Publisher 2003 file directly into another Publisher 2003 file? I'm looking for an Insert>File command but can't find one. Copy-and-pasting takes ages! Thanks Mary Sauer has an alternate method on her website. http://msauer.mvps.org/combining_publisher_documents.htm -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Subligaria" <Subligaria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEEA9F14-C001-4686-A566-BA7425544885@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone know of a way to insert a Publisher 2003 file dir...

File Size problem #2
I have a simple spreadsheet that started out 1.5 MB....then I starte adding working sheets and VLOOKUP's.,....next thing I know it come back saying 7 MB. I went back and copied, paste special, values of th results of the VLOOKUP, but still the file size did not go down. I should since I am virtually going back to the way it was in its 1.5 M form. How can I reduce file size? Thanks for any advice...... Richar -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com "gacollege >" <<gacollege.10a6rk@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:gacollege.10a6rk@excelforum-no...

how do i reduce the size of the file for transmitting.
i am sending a 2 page document created in Publisher and it is 17MB in size. Is there any way that i can reduce it to speed up transmission Might think about sending as a PDF. There are free converters, this is one: http://www.primopdf.com/ Do a web search to find others. Is this a Publisher 2000 document? Many common picture file formats, such as JPEG or TIFF, create highly compressed picture files. However, the format that Publisher 2000 uses to store embedded or linked pictures in publications is not compatible with file compression. As a result, when you insert a picture into a pub...

Unrecoverable money file
I have a Money 2000 (ita) file damaged so I have tried (whithout success) super salvage utility and moneyrecovery I have Also a lof of backup file but unrecoverable too Anyone know another utility (except super salvage & moneyrecovery) ? Can i find a recovery service? How is possible not recover Massimo Belgrano Delta Informatica srl ...

Log Files & EDB
Hi All, Our Exchange server has been generating multiple log files in the MDBDATA folder. Each one of them is exactly 5120KB and there are about a dozen or more just from today. Also our priv1.edb has grown to almost 90GB! which is alarming because our totalled mailbox size is around 16GB. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks, Shervan Do a full backup..that will commit the log files to the DB, and then delete them. You need to schedule full backups routinely.... "Shervan Torabi" <storabi@cox.net> wrote in message news:e%23S%23TQrLHHA....

Credit card on file
I have a client that runs a wholesale jewelry showroom. They have customer credit cards on file. They would like to have theses credit card numbers available to populate the credit card screen. Has anyone done this? Also. They would like to have the credit card numbers masked for protection against employee theft. -- Jerry Stough Alternative Business Solutions Atlanta, Ga (678) 458-8874 I have a application from Retail Relm that does this quite well with a few small bugs though. We use it for our wine store. Jason "Jerry" wrote: > I have a client that runs a wholesale...

Converting a CSV file to an Excel file
When I export a file from a website to an Excel file (on a Windows 2000 platform), it shows up in Excel as a standard Excel spreadsheet (I am using Office 2000). However, when I export the same file on a Vista platform, it shows up in Excel as a comma-delimited file. How do I convert a CSV file into an Excel spreadsheet? Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Gordon Biggar Houston, Texas I usually open it in Excel and then do a "File, Save As" and select Excel format. -- Susan Ramlet **please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit** "Gordon Biggar" <co...