Subtleties of color differences are insane for male users

Your color designers have made the Office programs much too difficult to use
for many men.

I have trained users in Office products for 15 years.  Each new version of
the Office programs has been made more difficult than its predecessor to see
and distinguish colors for male users.

Health professionals have confirmed my own observations that thirty percent
of men are color-blind.  I do not mean that they cannot distinguish
fire-engine red from royal blue.  Color-blind means that they cannot
distinguish pastels--light blue, light grey, light green--from each other.
They also cannot distinguish dark shades--dark blue, dark grey, dark green
from each other.  Bright primary colors are no problem.  Men can see,
distinguish, and name bright colors, but not pastels or shades, or slight
variations in colors.

This would be no problem if colors and contrasts were used in the programs
solely for decorative purposes, but it is a huge problem when they are used
to convey information.  These problems are rampant in important features
throughout all of the Office programs, but I will provide just two examples.

First, is the title bars of active versus inactive windows.  Second, is the
Excel sheet tabs of the active versus inactive sheets.  The active title bar
formerly was a bright blue contrasted with the grey of the inactive title
bar.  In  the latest versions, the active and inactive title bars are
indistinguishable.  The Excel sheet tabs formerly were clearly white or
clearly grey, but now the active and inactive sheet tabs are
indistinguishable.

Women possess perfect color perception.  This is one of the many wonderful
qualities of women.

For men, however, Microsoft is causing massive confusion for the thirty
percent of men who do not possess perfect color perception.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9c63c643-b904-46bc-a1f6-2cf7d96ca577&dg=microsoft.public.office.misc

Change a cell's fill color dynamically?
Is it possible to lookup a value in a cell over here and change a cell's fill color over there based on certain criteria? For instance, if all the workdays for a month are listed in column A, is it possible to look up all the Fridays and change the corresponding cell in Column C from whatever color to Yellow? While I'm at it, is it possible to unlock those certain C cells for editing, as well? Thank You so very much. Arlen You can handle the color issue with conditional formatting; you don't need any lookup function. As far as locking/unlocking the cells, you probably ...

Writing to a text file from different SUBrouteens
I open a file using "job" as my file handler, but no other 'sub' can see the file handler. The debugger stops with the error "object required" Public Sub make_job_file() ' create GEO_FILE Dim fso, f1, job Const ForWriting = 2 Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") fso.CreateTextFile ("geo_job.job") Set f1 = fso.GetFile("geo_job.job") Set job = f1.OpenAsTextStream(ForWriting, True) End Sub Sub jobname() job_name = InputBox("input Job Name", "Job Name", job_name, 100, 1) job.WriteLine "...

change cell color
I have made a drop down box, but now want to make when I select a specific word it will change back ground color in whole row. Say I pick UT for Utah in my drop down box I want the row to change background color to green, if I select ID the row changes to purple. Is this possible? ...

Color Chart Columns to Color Specified by a Cell Value
I want to create a chart with the color of the columns specified by a value in a cell. All of the columns can be of the same color. I am already using the code below to update the scale of the chart, using a value in cell E35 in this case. Is there something I can add to this to control the color or do I need to use a seperate piece of code? Sub UpdateScale() ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 4").Activate With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue) ..MinimumScale = 0 ..MaximumScale = Range("e35").Value End With End Sub ...

which is the best version for an italian user ?
Hi everybody, I am Italian and I am a Microsoft Money 2004 French edition user. The reason why I am using the French edition is that as far as I know there isn't an updated Italian version of Money. Is this the best choice ? Since my English is much better than my French should I rather use the USA or UK or international version ? Do they support the EUR ? if I decide to change how can I migrate the data from the French version to another version ? Thanks a lot Luca In microsoft.public.money, Luca Rovacchi wrote: >I am Italian and I am a Microsoft Money 2004 French edition user. >...

Create User Business Portal 10.0
Actually I have an issue with BP 10 creating a user, well I created the user under WSS 3.0 and the BP part, however when the user open the page it got an error from WSS 3.0, when I review the server log I got this message: UserManager VerifyUser 254 GCARMELO\apena is not in UserWindowsIdentity table Do I missing something here ?? any help I will appreciate. Thanks Miguel, Thanks for using the newsgroups. I'm not sure how your user got in this state, but we can try to fix it. The first thing I'd try is deleting and re-adding the user through the Business Portal Users page...

Cell Interior Color
DataArray(Z, 2) = Cells(X, 1).Interior.ColorIndex Cells(X, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = DataArray(Z, 2) I go through a loop and if I execute both these lines on a cell, the original cell color may be a light shade of purpose but after I set the color to the same color, it is now a shade of gray! Why? It looks like you might want to try the .Color property instead of .ColorIndex. "Mike H." wrote: > DataArray(Z, 2) = Cells(X, 1).Interior.ColorIndex > Cells(X, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = DataArray(Z, 2) > > I go through a loo...

delete record on a different form
I have a form with a subform. There is a delete button on the main form that runs the following delete code to delete a record on the subform: Private Sub Delete_button_Click() Dim msg, style, title, Response, MyString msg = "This action will delete the current record" style = vbYesNo + vbCritical + vbDefaultButton2 title = "Caution" Response = MsgBox(msg, style, title) If Response = vbYes Then Forms![fmain]![fsub].SetFocus Forms![fmain]![fsub]!control1.SetFocus DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord DoCmd.SetW...

Cell selection color
I recently upgraded to Office 2007 and noticed thatExcel no longer highlights selected cells with a gray color, it is now a vary pale hard to see pastel. Is there any way I can manipulate this color setting? Doug Many others have reported this. Perhaps it might get changed in the next SP ?? Pete On Jan 30, 10:37=A0pm, "Douglass" <fdmccuis...@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently upgraded to Office 2007 and noticed thatExcel no longer > highlights selected cells with a gray color, it is now a vary pale hard t= o > see pastel. =A0Is there any way I can manipulate this...

Comparing 2 coulumns in different worksheets and printing the rows that match
hello, Sorry to bother everyone. I am trying to learn some Visual Basic t maybe make a function that woudl do what i need, but that is goin slow. What i am trying to do follows. Workbook: NeededPatches.xls sheet1: Srvneed sheet2: ITPatches sheet3: Final I have created a perl script that uses the microsft progra hfnetchk.exe to find what patches are needed on all of our systems her at work. it gives me a text print out that is tab delimited and import that into excel on the *Srvneed* sheet. *Column B* in this shee has the patch numbers for what is needed. Now our IT security also has a lis...

Excel 2007-Font color not sharp
I'd office 2007 installed on XP machine. The font (type: times, size:9) in Excel 2007 is not as sharp as Excel 2003. Besides alpha is sharper than numeric. Any ideas to solve the problem? Try "Times New Roman" which would have the TrueType symbol on the left when you choose a font. "Times" would be a raster font. -- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm "Pony" <Pony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F02CD459-EDAF-4649-BA1C-5A91A2997D29@microsoft.com... > I...

Change the color of buttons in OnCtlColors
hi, Is it possible to change the color of bottons in OnCtlColors? thanks, Yes. Look at www.codeguru.com or www.codeproject.com for some good examples. -- ============ Frank Hickman NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Replace the _nosp@m_ with @ to reply. "behzad" <b@b.com> wrote in message news:eXWejQR1EHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi, > Is it possible to change the color of bottons in OnCtlColors? > > thanks, > > You cannot change background color of buttons in OnCtlColor. A CButton does not respond to WM_CTLCOLOR types of messages. You will need...

What are the Color CMYK for the Default Design Chart Colors
I am using the default design colors for Excel 2007 and would like to know how I can find out the name of the colors used and their CMYK numbers so I can match that color to other things I'm using. I am using Style 15 (it looks baby blueish). Hi, You can see the RBG color numbers or the HSL color model by selecting the color and choosing More Color under the color area you are working with and then Custom. You can see the name for the colors being used by the current Theme by choosing Page Layout, Colors from the Themes group, Create new theme color, open the drop down beside...

Color Palette, color disappears
Hi, I have a very annoying problem! Sometimes when I open Excel all the text and cells marked or filled in red disappears. When I have a look at the color palette the red color is replaced with a white color...? It can work just fine for some time, but after a couple of hours the red color disappear. Regards , Emil Does this occur while using the same Excel workbook, or does it happe when you open a certains one? > > Hi, > > I have a very annoying problem! > Sometimes when I open Excel all the text and cells marked or filled i > red > disappears. When I hav...

Alternating row colors in A2007 datasheets
Hi I think the A2007 datasheets are cool. I really like the alternating row colors. But I'm disappointed to find that when I view forms I designed in datasheet view, they don't have the alternating colors. Is there a way to make this happen? Derek With the form open in datasheet view, click the "Home" tab on the ribbon. There is a tiny arrow at the bottom right of the Font pane, which launches the datasheet formatting options. To save the formatting you need to save the form while it is still in the datasheet view (although given your recent experiences you w...

Color of IDC_STATIC
How can i change color of a text of a IDC_STATIC??? In article <ONXEXU0NEHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, anonimo@flashnet.it says... > How can i change color of a text of a IDC_STATIC??? AFIK, IDC_STATIC doesn't have anything to support this. If you really wanted to, I suppose you could do it by subclassing the control, but given the number of ActiveX controls that support this more directly, I'm not sure why you would. -- Later, Jerry. The universe is a figment of its own imagination. "Jupiter-IT" <anonimo@flashnet.it> wrote in message news...

User tries to accept meeting request and gets this message:
"as the meeting organizer you do not have to respond to this meeting", which is in error - somone else is the meeting organizer. I can't find anything in the Product KB. Anyone know how to fix it? We are using Exch 2003 and Outlook client installs on XP. ...

Improvements in Business Portal user maintenance
1. Provide a better way to process employee name changes in Business Portal. Currently, you must delete/re-add the BP user in order to change the domain\alias. This is really not a good solution as it will cause the employee to lose history of requisitions, employee profile changes, etc. 2. Provide a way to set the default company and the company for the user role when adding a group of users. Currently, you must go back through each user one-by-one after they are added to set these. Also, if a support rep is working with a customer or partner on an issue and a new feature suggestion c...

User define message error!
Hi! I created a SDI app and I want to show a dialog after creating SDI, therefore I defined an user define message #define WMU_STARTUP (WM_APP+10) and call it from CSDIView::OnInitUpdate() with PostMessage(WM_STARTUP). In debug version it work correctly but in release version it generates an Application Error after close the program. what's the problem? Thankx ...

color number of shade
Is there a way to find the color number of a shaded cell? In the VBIDE immediate window ?Activecell.Interior.Colorindex -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Ed Davis" <ed.davis1@verizon.net> wrote in message news:9E5337FB-9649-4B2B-B399-DF9BD6C86D4A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to find the color number of a shaded cell? > ...

Search and Replace a Color
I have a large presentation which was created by combining two smaller presentations. They slides containwith numerous shapes and text of different fill colors. No matter how a combine the presentations the are two two distinctive color schemes. Is there a way in VBA to go through the presentation and replace one color for another. Say if an object fill color is orange change it to red. so that I do not have to do it manually. TIA Hi, There are a couple of examples on my site: http://skp.mvps.org/vba.htm which does a find and replace on colors. Regards, Shyam Pillai Hando...

different fonts when I concatenate
I am concatentating a group of Excel cells. The first cell has bold font and when I concatenate it, the bold disappears. Also, need to put a return in the formula to get second cell to go to next line. Can anyone help me? ...

GP10 - Picking Report
I would like to add the BoM user derined fields to the picking report - I was able to do this in GP8 by linking the Picklist File to the MOP_Pickdoc_Line but cannot seem to recreate in version 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated. M. After creating a new table relationship between the 2 tables it looks like all is good and I once again have access to the additional fields I wanted. M. "Maria" wrote: > > I would like to add the BoM user derined fields to the picking report - > > I was able to do this in GP8 by linking the Picklist File to the > MOP...

MS Outlook 2000; Calendar Appointments; Change Default Font Color
SUBJECT: MS Outlook 2000 > Calendar Appointments > Change Default Font Color. Greetings Microsoft Administrators: Please can you tell me, may users who set calendar appointments change the default font color for all appointments set? If so can you tell me how users may change the default font color for all calendar appointments set. [For example, my personal objective is to change the default calendar appointment font color of black (which tends to blend with the gray of the calendar border backgrounds and black of the lines) to blue. Because gray/black background with blue font...

To mark today's column with a special color or sign in work week view
In Microsoft Outlook, I use work week view, displaying me five columns, each for a single work day. I'd like to see today's column marked with a special color or sign. It there a way to do it? Thanks. Dan ...