Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP

I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and
says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97
which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should
I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
components I have installed?
Thanks , Richard H.

"RichardH" <RichardH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks
> and
> says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP
> 97
> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version
> should
> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
> components I have installed?
> Thanks , Richard H.

No one should jump on you for this question.  PPT '97 should work problem
free on XP SP3.

While there are newer editions of PowerPoint (PPT) available since you
already have the '97 edition I would start with that version unless you have
the great desire to learn the Ribbon user interface for Office 2007 or the
again-changed ribbon in Office 2010 or absolutely need one of the new
features in the later versions (remember that PPT 2000, 2002 and 2003 are no
longer generally available as they are no longer produced by Microsoft.  You
would have to purchase a used or new version that has been "left on the
shelf.")

PPT 97 will create almost any presentation that you would want to create at
a learner level.  It's presentation files will run on any newer version of
PPT or PPT viewer.  I have access to all versions of PPT from 97 up to and
including 2010 beta.  If I am creating a simple presentation, I start up my
PPT 97 and create it.  If I need really fancy work or animation effects that
PPT 97 doesn't have then I use a later version of the software.

Should you purchase a newer version of either just PPT or an office suite
(which includes Word, Excel, etc.) then you have the option of overwriting
the 97 programs or leave them and install side-by-side with 97 and use one
or the other programs.  You could, of course, just install PPT '07 and
either overwrite PPT '97 or a side-by-side install without touching any of
your '97 programs.

Hope this helps.  Anything else please free to post back.

0
LVTravel
4/10/2010 7:36:09 PM
In article <B063F5F6-9997-49FA-A2BD-EB082EAFB9EF@microsoft.com>, RichardH wrote:
> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and
> says the answer is in the posts already! -

Not likely; any posts about '97 probably scrolled off years ago.  ;-)

As LVTravel says, PPT 97's still a fast, lean machine and it'll work fine on XP.

If you don't need to stay compatible with PPT 2007 users, ignore everything
below this line:

===============================

The only caveat I'd add is that if you need to exchange presentations with PPT
2007 users and both sides need to edit the work, I'd seriously consider getting
2007.  Moving the presentations back and forth can cause messes.

Creating presentations in 97 and playing them back in 2007 should be fine.

If you get presentations from PPT 2007 users, you'll have to get them to save
the presentations to PowerPoint 97-2003 format.  If you have PPT 2000 and up you
can download a free converter that enables you to open the PPT 2007 files, but
the converter won't install into PPT 97.

>but i I have never used the PP 97
> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should
> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
> components I have installed?
> Thanks , Richard H.

0
Steve
4/11/2010 3:46:08 PM

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <B063F5F6-9997-49FA-A2BD-EB082EAFB9EF@microsoft.com>, RichardH
> wrote:
>> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks
>> and
>> says the answer is in the posts already! -
>
> Not likely; any posts about '97 probably scrolled off years ago.  ;-)
>
> As LVTravel says, PPT 97's still a fast, lean machine and it'll work fine
> on XP.
>
> If you don't need to stay compatible with PPT 2007 users, ignore
> everything
> below this line:
>
> ===============================
>
> The only caveat I'd add is that if you need to exchange presentations with
> PPT
> 2007 users and both sides need to edit the work, I'd seriously consider
> getting
> 2007.  Moving the presentations back and forth can cause messes.
>
> Creating presentations in 97 and playing them back in 2007 should be fine.
>
> If you get presentations from PPT 2007 users, you'll have to get them to
> save
> the presentations to PowerPoint 97-2003 format.  If you have PPT 2000 and
> up you
> can download a free converter that enables you to open the PPT 2007 files,
> but
> the converter won't install into PPT 97.
>

>>but i I have never used the PP 97
>> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
>> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
>> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
>> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
>> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version
>> should
>> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
>> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
>> components I have installed?
>> Thanks , Richard H.

Just installed Office '97 Professional on a  Win 7 Pro laptop I am setting
up (from Win XP Pro SP 3) and it runs great (all programs except Outlook) as
long as you use the compatibility for Win XP SP3.  Could not get it run
reliably on Vista Ultimate.  No problem, just a comment.

0
LVTravel
4/11/2010 5:07:14 PM
Win7 - bring it on.
,-)

0
Steve
4/12/2010 7:44:44 PM

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> Win7 - bring it on.
> ,-)
>
> .
> Thanks for your advice which was most helpful - RichardH

Replace word in sentence function...
I have the following function which replaces a word in a sentence with "....." =REPLACE(I2,SEARCH(E2,I2),LEN(E2),".....") Where the word is E2 and the sentence is I2. At the moment, if the word is "work" and the sentence is "I worked at home" I get the sentence "I .....ed at home". Any ideas how I could capture any remaining letters at the end of the word and get the result "I ..... at home"? I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Chris can you upload example, would be easier to view -- Message posted from h...

Timesheet #2
Hi all Ive got a timesheet woking now for my company but they are wanting me to add 2 more colums for flexi one for how much im in credit with flexi/overtime over 37.5 hours and another colum saying if im in debit/ under hours worked how can i get this to automatically put overtime or undertime straight into the correct column. Thanks Matt Wrote: > Hi all > > Ive got a timesheet woking now for my company but they are wanting me > to add > 2 more colums for flexi one for how much im in credit with > flexi/overtime > over 37.5 hours and another colum saying if im i...

find and replace hyperlink?
Hi, I want to globally find and replace the contents of a hyperlink with a new hyperlink. For example, I want this Jul.xls#'Title Page'!A1 to be replaced with Aug.xls#'Title Page'!A1 I can't seem to find a way do it. Is there a way? Thank you, Mike Take a look at David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm look for: Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm me wrote: > > Hi, I want to g...

Leban's Report to PDF
I have a question with leban's report to pdf. It works great for all but a hand full of my database's users. I have looked all over for this problem and can't find a solution or even a reference of it anywhere. A few users get the following error when they try to create pdfs: Header: New Database 2002:2603 Message: You don't have permission to run '|.' Any ideas? Thanks, Matt Fixed it. I'm a moron. Permissions problems. "MF Scheetz" wrote: > I have a question with leban's report to pdf. It works great for all but a > hand full of...

Power Point #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I just added new slides to my a PPpresentation, saved tham, and now I can't shut down. The three little ovals come up in a box with no words in them. The right hand one is blue. I click it and it just moves down to the center of the screen. Shoule I do a forced shut down or what? It would be better not to Force Quit unless you have to... Try pressing the ESC key to see if the dialog box goes away. If it does, then use File> Save to save you work, use File> Close to close the file, the either File> Quit o...

Embedding graphics in html emails, how to without coding path to graphic in, pls? #2
I have a really neat smiley programs that somehow "injects" animated gifs into an html email. So that's great when I'm at home and I want to embed pictures like animated smileys, etc. But at the office I have no such program and am not allowed to install one, of course. How can I do the same thing at the office _without_ having to tamper with the html file to begin with? Is there a way? Hope so, I'd like to be able to attach smileys, etc., without hardcoding them in. It would be too tough to type up the emails in html each time and adding path to gif, etc. Thank yo...

Edit Payables Check Batch
If when in Select Payables Checks, you forget to uncheck Automatically Apply Existing Unapplied checkbox for say Return & Credit Memo can you unapply them in the Edit Payables Check window? What is the best way to unapply them. Thanks hd high quality Soccer jerseys NBA Jersey tracksuit and jackets, GHD hairstraightener supplier from www.willpa.com Are you a Retail businessman who bother by the purchase price? China Cheapest TOP wholesale website can help you we are specialize in replica sport goods manufacturing in china, we can offer you all kinds of soccer jersey, NBA jerse...

Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP
I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97 which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3. I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I already have and still operat...

5.2.1 NDR from external addresses
Howdy, I've migrated an NT4 system with Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2003 SBS Std Ed. One of the Public Folders was set up with an email address that could receive e-mails from any e- mail address. Under Exchange 2003, only senders with locally known domains can send to the public folder address. All other addresses get a 5.2.1 NDR. ie. Exchange 2003 is configured for recipient addresses of @example.com and @example.local. blah@example.com and blah@example.local can send to pf@example.com, but blah@test.com will get a 5.2.1 NDR. Size limits are not the issue here. The exact same test m...

Search and replace problem
Hi, I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to mark the cell's "to review". The symbol used was "(*)". I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between brackets. Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete the specific characters. TIA Melissa It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk in find what p...

LVS_OWNERDATA VS Label edit
How to implement item label edit in virtual list ctrl? I'v used SetItemText(...) in LVN_ENDLABELEDIT message handler, but got a assertion. Must I handle the label edit inside LVN_GETDISPINFO? On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:18:15 +0800, "liysh" <liysh@intertimes.com.cn> wrote: >How to implement item label edit in virtual list ctrl? >I'v used SetItemText(...) in LVN_ENDLABELEDIT message handler, but got a >assertion. >Must I handle the label edit inside LVN_GETDISPINFO? It doesn't make sense to use SetItemText in a virtual listview, because the listview doesn&...

1.5%
For a short information, send a blanc mail to: sap36@freeautobot.com ...

Outlook 6 on XP
Hi I hope someone has encountered this. I have Windows XP running with office 97. I have Outlook 6 running. The problem is that my spell checker in outlook doesn't work. On checking the spelling I get - "An error has occured while speeling was being checked" I have run the repair from the CD. I have also removed spell checking and re-installed it. Spell checking works in ALL my other office products. The problem only occurs in Outlook. Thanks Ian http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224176 might be helpful. "Ian" <chenhsu@iafrica.co...

Terminal on Win CE 6.0 R2
We use MIPSII platform under Win CE 6.0, Terminal application is unable to talk to a PC with our board's COM ports. We use our own written CE 6.0 application to do communication with PC's hyperterminal using those COM ports from our platform and it works. The same platform under Win CE 5.0 can use Terminal application and can talk to a PC hyperterminal and is working correctly We've done line by line source comparison and did not find any differences in code for COM ports at PDD/MDD level. Any suggestions ? Thanks, GS-ICN do you mean the standard Wind...

using 2003 to open a '97 db
I have users with 2003 and Im trying to give the ability to open or use '97 data base. Ive tried 2 things 1: just open db. this works but as soon as they try and do some form operation an error comes up 'operation not supported on replicable databases that have not been converted to the current version' 2. create a 2003 db with linked tables pointing at the '97 database. The result of this is that the linked tables have the first three fields missing and are replaced with fields named s_GUID, s_Lineage, ect Shouldnt this be easy? I know I saw some very good user instruct...

replace a negative result with a zero?
I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is negative. Any help is greatly appreciated. -- Pam Well, what is the formula that you are using? You could try this: =3DMAX(your_formula,0) to replace your_formula. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 19, 5:17=A0pm, Pam2277 <Pam2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is > negative. =A0Any help is greatly appreciated. > -- > Pam Hi, =if(your formula<0,0,your formula) "Pam2277" wrote: > ...

Tender Summary #2
Store Operations- Manger Tender Summary feature doesnt seem to work properly. If I process a Layaway transaction or Workorder, and a customer initially places a deposit, that deposit does not show up as part of the tender summary for that day. To me that makes no sense, as a depoist is still money in the cash register, whether the sale is finalized or not. This has to be a bug (using v1.3) Can anyone shed any light on this issue? This is try, this report collects its data by joining the TenderEntry with the Transaction, it doesn't look at the Payment table at all Although it's ...

jpg's oproepen vanuit database #2
Kan iemand mij svp uitleggen hoe ik .jpg's (of andere plaatjes) in ee excel database kan verwerken en vervolgens middels een formule ka oproepen in een ander sheet -- Marc Willems ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Willemse's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=164 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187045633 ...

Excel 97 problem with naming workbooks
Lately "save as" only records the initial letter of a proposed workboook file name. Any idea where to find the problem? Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode the file name problem went away. http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl And maybe this will help: HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;292533 David K wrote: > > Lately "save as" only records the ini...

Offline files #2
I am trying to get Offline files with my .pst file to work correctly. I have followed Q252509 to allow the synchronization of .pst files. I have network share with my .pst and have made it available offline. When i am on the network i can go into Outlook and get access to my personal folder. When i am off the network and try to access my personal folder it says it can't access the file because its trying to retrieve it from the network. I verified that the file has been cached by checking out winnt\cdc. So I'm wondering why the cached file is not used when working offline. How ...

CTabCtrl question #2
Hi, I have an SDI program with a CTabCtrl object with 5 tabs on the main View page. When the enter key is pressed all the controls on the currently displayed tab disappear. Any ideas what the cause is? Thanks, PK Is the tab control on a dialog imbedded in the view? AliR. "NewbProgrammer" <paul_kiefer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1143420970.277640.257670@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I have an SDI program with a CTabCtrl object with 5 tabs on the main > View page. When the enter key is pressed all the controls on the > currently displayed tab ...

(Win / DNS NT40) name confict after installing new nic card
After replacing a bad network card the server is not resolving names and seems to confilct with the network. Get the Master Browser is stopping or forcing an electon error, Could the new card not be compatable with the server ? When I clear the win data base it corrects the dns temporary but but goes dead again after a sync? ...

Cell Editing
How to you set the program to allow cell editing followed directly by using a cursor key instead of ENTER (like Lotus....) Hit F2 to enter edit mode(see Edit on Status bar). Arrows will move within the cell. Hit F2 again to enter "Enter" mode(see Enter on Status bar). Arrows will take you out of the cell. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:57:05 -0800, "remco2mill" <remco2mill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to you set the program to allow cell editing followed directly by using a >cursor key instead of ENTER (like Lotus....) Look at...

OFFICE 2007
I ASKED HELP RESOLVING GRAY OUT DICTIONARY IN SPELL CHECK BUT FOUND SOLUTION FROM PREVIOUS POST. THANKS -- Marc ...

Count If formula #2
I got help yesterday and hopefully can today. I now need a formula to count the number of "n/a" by each person. ER MD WAIT TIME TO SEE PHYSICIAN smith n/a harris 0:21 david n/a david 0:43 smith 0:25 harris 0:18 harris n/a Again, this is the same sheet and has about 2500 entries for one month. I need to find out what physicians had a wait time of "n/a" without having to sort the entire sheet by physician. Thanks. For Smith =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A2500="Smith"),--(B2:B2500="n/a")) replace Smith with a cell where you put the different names for better ...