Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP

I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and
says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97
which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should
I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
components I have installed?
Thanks , Richard H.

"RichardH" <RichardH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks
> and
> says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP
> 97
> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version
> should
> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
> components I have installed?
> Thanks , Richard H.

No one should jump on you for this question.  PPT '97 should work problem
free on XP SP3.

While there are newer editions of PowerPoint (PPT) available since you
already have the '97 edition I would start with that version unless you have
the great desire to learn the Ribbon user interface for Office 2007 or the
again-changed ribbon in Office 2010 or absolutely need one of the new
features in the later versions (remember that PPT 2000, 2002 and 2003 are no
longer generally available as they are no longer produced by Microsoft.  You
would have to purchase a used or new version that has been "left on the
shelf.")

PPT 97 will create almost any presentation that you would want to create at
a learner level.  It's presentation files will run on any newer version of
PPT or PPT viewer.  I have access to all versions of PPT from 97 up to and
including 2010 beta.  If I am creating a simple presentation, I start up my
PPT 97 and create it.  If I need really fancy work or animation effects that
PPT 97 doesn't have then I use a later version of the software.

Should you purchase a newer version of either just PPT or an office suite
(which includes Word, Excel, etc.) then you have the option of overwriting
the 97 programs or leave them and install side-by-side with 97 and use one
or the other programs.  You could, of course, just install PPT '07 and
either overwrite PPT '97 or a side-by-side install without touching any of
your '97 programs.

Hope this helps.  Anything else please free to post back.

0
LVTravel
4/10/2010 7:36:09 PM
In article <B063F5F6-9997-49FA-A2BD-EB082EAFB9EF@microsoft.com>, RichardH wrote:
> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and
> says the answer is in the posts already! -

Not likely; any posts about '97 probably scrolled off years ago.  ;-)

As LVTravel says, PPT 97's still a fast, lean machine and it'll work fine on XP.

If you don't need to stay compatible with PPT 2007 users, ignore everything
below this line:

===============================

The only caveat I'd add is that if you need to exchange presentations with PPT
2007 users and both sides need to edit the work, I'd seriously consider getting
2007.  Moving the presentations back and forth can cause messes.

Creating presentations in 97 and playing them back in 2007 should be fine.

If you get presentations from PPT 2007 users, you'll have to get them to save
the presentations to PowerPoint 97-2003 format.  If you have PPT 2000 and up you
can download a free converter that enables you to open the PPT 2007 files, but
the converter won't install into PPT 97.

>but i I have never used the PP 97
> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should
> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
> components I have installed?
> Thanks , Richard H.

0
Steve
4/11/2010 3:46:08 PM

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <B063F5F6-9997-49FA-A2BD-EB082EAFB9EF@microsoft.com>, RichardH
> wrote:
>> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks
>> and
>> says the answer is in the posts already! -
>
> Not likely; any posts about '97 probably scrolled off years ago.  ;-)
>
> As LVTravel says, PPT 97's still a fast, lean machine and it'll work fine
> on XP.
>
> If you don't need to stay compatible with PPT 2007 users, ignore
> everything
> below this line:
>
> ===============================
>
> The only caveat I'd add is that if you need to exchange presentations with
> PPT
> 2007 users and both sides need to edit the work, I'd seriously consider
> getting
> 2007.  Moving the presentations back and forth can cause messes.
>
> Creating presentations in 97 and playing them back in 2007 should be fine.
>
> If you get presentations from PPT 2007 users, you'll have to get them to
> save
> the presentations to PowerPoint 97-2003 format.  If you have PPT 2000 and
> up you
> can download a free converter that enables you to open the PPT 2007 files,
> but
> the converter won't install into PPT 97.
>

>>but i I have never used the PP 97
>> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
>> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
>> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
>> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
>> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version
>> should
>> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
>> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
>> components I have installed?
>> Thanks , Richard H.

Just installed Office '97 Professional on a  Win 7 Pro laptop I am setting
up (from Win XP Pro SP 3) and it runs great (all programs except Outlook) as
long as you use the compatibility for Win XP SP3.  Could not get it run
reliably on Vista Ultimate.  No problem, just a comment.

0
LVTravel
4/11/2010 5:07:14 PM
Win7 - bring it on.
,-)

0
Steve
4/12/2010 7:44:44 PM

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> Win7 - bring it on.
> ,-)
>
> .
> Thanks for your advice which was most helpful - RichardH

Asks to insert Disk 2
Had Office 2000. Upgraded to XP. Can't open Publisher without inserting Disk 2 of 2000. Deleted, reinstalled, downloaded all updates and patches. Still won't open Publisher without inserting Disk 2. PUB2000 Error Message: The Feature You Are Trying to Use Is Not Available http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218679 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://mvps.org/msauer/ "Glen" <GFGriffin@msn.com> wrote in message news:288401c3794e$4cdb3430$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Had Office 2000. Upgraded to XP. Can't open Pu...

MS Office Publisher Help window appears after every print job
I've just started using Publisher 2003 and am doing fine with most of it. However, one thing is driving me crazy... every time I send a job to a printer, whether it's an actual printer like my HP Laserjet 4MV or a virtual printer like the Acrobat PDF 7, after the job spools out, the MS Office Pint Help window appears, on a page that says "Troubleshoot printing publications on a desktop printer." I didn't clikc on help. I don't need help, because the jobs print fine... why does this window keep appearing, and more importantly, how do I make it stop appearing sh...

Installing Money 2005 Deluxe #2
Can anyone tell me if I can install one copy of Money on my desktop and laptop? Microsoft seems to be keeping it a secret unless I pay $35.00 to ask a question! -- aantaug In microsoft.public.money, Anthony wrote: >Can anyone tell me if I can install one copy of Money on my desktop and laptop? >Microsoft seems to be keeping it a secret unless I pay $35.00 to ask a >question! Yes. That is permitted. Thank you, Cal. I've been all over Microsoft's Web site and couldn't find anything on that. I will purchase MS Money 2k5. By the way, I have been using the trial vers...

Bulova Women's Bangle Bracelet Watch #96L007
Price:$175.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B00176LC94 Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B00176LC94 Bulova Ladies Bracelet Watch - Bulova 96L007 The Bulova Women's Bangle Watch is distinguished by a slender, silver-tone bangle band that makes it look and feel like jewelry. An elegant stainless steel bangle band is accented by artistic lines and ornamental shapes. A circular stainless steel case houses a white dial that's beautifully framed by a rounded, polished stainless steel bezel. Extending the silver-tone theme, a Bulova logo at the 12 o&...

Outlook XP Email #3
I get the following error message when I try to open Outlook: Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. The file C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Tobin\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not a personal folders file. Recently, when I was able to at least open Outlook, none of my folders or emails would show up. Anyone with ideas or suggestions? I have three email accounts I use Outlook for that I have lost all recently d/l email from. Hi Jordan, please run the scanpst.exe file ! -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten d...

CRM and Office XP
Can anyone tell me if there has been a reported issue relative to Office XP and CRM. After installing Office XP, I have lost my ability to use my browser to view my CRM Home page. Any suggestions would be appriciated. can you give us more details...what happens when you connect the browser to crm? also have you loaded anything like popup blockers in the browser as this will stop crm working "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:028901c394d1$ff155650$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell me if there has been a reported issue > relativ...

How to hide the status bar in Office 2007? Slow message sending.
Hello! How to hide the status bar in Excel 2007 and in Office 2007? Why does Outlook 2007 send message window appear in 30 seconds after sending a small file from an Office program or choosing the send command from the file context menu? Sincerely, Dima Hi Dima, The control to turn off the status bar through the user interface in the ribboned Office apps has basically been turned off. If you right click on the status bar you may note that there are quite a few choices of items you can have displayed there. For the send message window there may be a delay depending on how your antivirus...

Information Store won't start after installing exchange (in child domain) #2
We are installing exchange 2003 in a child domain of a domain tree where an exchange 2003 server already exists in the parent domain. Netdiag and DCDiag were both performed before installation and indicated no problems with the general setup. The account used to install exchange has Full Exchange Administration rights at the org. level. The installation completes without any error messages, but it is impossible to start the information store. The store refuses to start and events 9153, 1121 and 5000 are then logged in the event log. Event 1121: Error 0x8004010f connecting to the Microsoft Ac...

Check lead 's values in a Workflow for opportunity
I want to create a workflow on an opportunity but this workflow will update object (Opportunity fields) based on customised values on the corresponding Lead . But when I try to do that workflow manager only allow me to check values for the following objects only: .. Opp .. Account .. Contact .. Owner Any ideas ? Add identical fileds to the Opportunity and then modify the mapping between the Lead and the Opportunity to copy those fields. Then you can reference the values. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:...

Tip on Adding Office 2008 Icon to the Dock
One of the first things I did after installing Office 2008 was to poof away the various Office 2008 icons from the dock. I like being able to access the Office applications from the dock - just did not care for the clutter. I replaced the icons with the Microsoft Office 2008 folder by dragging it from the Applications folder to the dock. This works great but you wind up with generic looking Leopard folder icon on the dock. The following is how to add the Office 2008 icon to the dock. First, open your Microsoft Office 2008 folder and create a new folder named /Office 2008 Icon. It ...

Offline Address Book not updating #2
Hello, Our clients who used cached mode aren't getting an updated offline address book. We tried a rebuild but that didn't work- any suggestions. We are running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2003 server. "Boe" <boe_d@notspam.hotmail.com> wrote: >Our clients who used cached mode aren't getting an updated offline address >book. We tried a rebuild but that didn't work- any suggestions. > >We are running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a Windows 2003 server. Check the Applications Log on the OAB server and make sure the OAB is being generated. There w...

Excel to XML #2
'Is there a converter for Microsoft Excel 2000 files that will save the files as .xml'. File, Save As the file extension is still .htm or .html -- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "MS" <msamant@drvc.org> wrote in message news:6d9a01c475a9$0dbed6f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > 'Is there a converter for Microsoft Excel 2000 files that > will save the files as .xml'. ...

Data file did not close properly #2
I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated Jerry There isnt a difinative solution as the problem can be caused by a number of differing things "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I have read all kinds of solutions to this error. Has any thing difinitive >been offered that solves the problem. Appreciated > > Jerry > "Jerry" <jerry@home.home> wrote in message news:eRfw6Cs1IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

error on opening outlook XP
I had to reinstall and now when I open I contantly get the following Microsoft Outlook Can't load speech recognition files. Microsoft Outlook cannot install the necessary files due to Windows installer error 1606. Feature ID not registered. I have checked in Knowledge base and have not been able to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Access programming and Open Office Calc
Hi I have written a large application in Access 2003. In some parts of the system I have coded it to output reports to Excel. The problem is, I distribute this application to 50 pcs and not all of them have Excel installed. I was hoping to re-write the application to output to Open Office Calc. Is there VB script anywhere to give me pointers on how to do this? Please help. If Im right off track here, can you sudjest any other ways of running an application which outputs to Excel but only when Excel is present. Thanks in advance To be honest I've never encountered a computer that had A...

Mutual Fund Merger #2
I read the posting from Oct 03 and followed the suggestion. I completed the ratio as instructed. Problem is now I cannot change the investment name or symbol to that of the gaining fund because it is "already being used" by another account. Help please. I have Money 2004 Small Business. Oct 03 posting info is below _______ I have Money 2002 Deluxe & Bus. >>>I recently had 2 mutual funds merge and I cannot figure >>>out how to handle this in the Money program. It tells >>>about Company mergers and I read about 3 different ways >to >...

CRM Rollup 2 for Windows XP x64 client
Have been running CRM 3.0 on a Windows XP SP2 x64 client for a while without a problem, have to perform a repair in the install the other day and needed to apply the rollup 2 for the install, however when I attempt to perform the install it tells me it's for another hardware platform. Is there a version for x64 Windows XP I missed? Any help would be appreciated. ...

Excel drop down lists #2
Hi, I am trying to create two drop down lists. The first is a straight forward selection of 6 choices. I would like to be able to have a list in the next column which is dependent on the choice from the first list. For example from a choice of "A, B, C, D" in the first list, if i choose "A" I would like to have a drop down list choice of "9, 8, 7" in the second column. But if i choose "C" in the first list, then I would like to have a drop down list choice of "6, 5, 4" in the second column. Is this possible? And if so, could you please tel...

Problem installing Office 2007 Enterprise Edition
I have downloaded this three times. (Four actually, but it didn't work the first time) I have tried to install several times. It goes through the process, has me put in my Product Key, but when it gets to a certain point I get the message that there was an error during setup. There are no details about what the error is. I have a trial edition of Office 2007 that I cannot delete through Add/Remove Programs. I have deleted Office 2003 (also a trial version, I believe) I read another user's post that said my IT department at work should support this, but I haven'...

Outlook 2003
I used to use Outlook Express and was able to modify an email message's HTML source code. I can't seem to find a way to do that using Outlook. Does anyone know how that can be done? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thank you, Tracy Outlook doesn't have a source editor. You can edit it in another html editor and paste into OL. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstic...

Preventing auto-formatting when Replacing
Say I have a cell that contains LED2/14 The cell is formatted as Text. If I use Ctrl-H to replace LED with nothing, Excel insists on reformatting the remaining 2/14 as a date (i.e. 14-Feb). Is there any way to prevent this infuriating behavior? Thanks, Frank How about: Edit|Replace LED with ' (apostrophe) Frank Marousek wrote: > > Say I have a cell that contains > > LED2/14 > > The cell is formatted as Text. > > If I use Ctrl-H to replace LED with nothing, Excel insists on reformatting > the remaining 2/14 as a date (i.e. 14-Feb). Is there any way to...

Multiple Taxes (i.e. 2 Diff States)
RMS V1.3flat I am trying to establish two different Item tax structures for two different tax authorities, let's say one for MN and one for ND state. Preface: I am giving this as a real HL example. Assigning taxes on a per customer basis will not work as a solution to this issue. Please do not take it literally that I need to assign per customer based on Billing or Shipping State. Example: MN Tax has: MN State, MN City and MN County ND Tax has: ND State and ND County I have created all tax authorities in Sales Tax, and then bundled appropriately in Item Tax (one item tax = MN St...

Reinstallation Microsoft Office
My system crashed - I need to reinstall Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student. I have the original disk and the product key. But I don't have an external drive to run the disk. Any solutions? 1. Puchase an external drive. 2. Copy the disck onto a USB flash drive and try installing it from that. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "dyao" <dyao@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5029926-D238-4116-AD93-706A92BBB855@microsoft.com... > My system crashed - I need...

Possible issue when migrating Office to a new system?
About a week ago, my office received two brand new Quad-core MacPros. Gorgeous pieces of machinery. I, being one of the only ones in our office with any sort of professional Mac IT background (mainly just setting up new machines for users and transferring their old files to their new computer through a backup server) my boss allowed me to set up her new computer. This is when the fun began. I successfully partitioned and reinstalled Tiger onto the computer, and installed all the necessary software. When it came time to transfer the files, I used Apple's Migration Assistant, and copied ove...

SVG problems in Visio 2003 SP 2
Hi! I tried to create a new document (metrics format) and added a few different shapes (also metric). I saved the document in SVG format and closed the document. I then tried to open the document again, but got a lot of errors, and some of my shapes could be located at the lower left corner, but a bit misshaped. Also when opening the document i IE it is incorrect. (I detected this behavior with a mush more complex drawing, and that was totally messed up after saved as SVG.) Is this a known error, or is there something wrong with my local setup? Best Regards, Andreas Lundgren Log file: Op...