Reading Office 2000 files under Works 9

I will be transferring files created under Office 2000 to a new machine
running Works 9 - will I be able to read those files, or, do I have to
install Office on the new machine?

"jcnygaard" <jcnygaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I will be transferring files created under Office 2000 to a new machine
> running Works 9 - will I be able to read those files, or, do I have to
> install Office on the new machine?

Works is the stripped down suite of programs and may or may not open Office
files.  I can get the word processor to open simple Word document files but
if there are macros or other "fancy" items in them it will choke.  Probably
the same for Excel files.  PPT and Access is not supported in Works.

You may be better served by installing Open Office if you don't want to
install Office for some reason.  www.openoffice.org   OO is a free open
source program suite that will provide very good compatibility with Word,
Excel, PowerPoint files.  You can import Access files but as far as I can
tell it is a one way move, into OO but not into Access.

0
LVTravel
4/29/2010 8:22:13 PM
You will know soon enough

"jcnygaard" <jcnygaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I will be transferring files created under Office 2000 to a new machine
> running Works 9 - will I be able to read those files, or, do I have to
> install Office on the new machine?

0
DL

Reading .wks file

Inserting text from a .txt file
I'm trying really hard to jump on the bandwagon and migrate from Outlook Express to Outlook, but the more I try, the more frustrated I get. Anyway, here is my question: How do I insert the text from a text file into my e-mail document. I am using the rtf editor. thank you, ~alan copy/paste? "~~Alan~~" <alan.shepro_NOSPAM@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%23%23AwZrIKEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm trying really hard to jump on the bandwagon and migrate from Outlook > Express to Outlook, but the more I try, the more frustrated I get. > > Anywa...

File won't open as read only

"File access denied" to PST file
I have gone from Windows 2000 running Outlook 2000 to Windows XP Pro running Outlook 2003. When I try opening my saved .pst file in the new Outlook I get a message saying "File access denied. You do not have permission required to access to file mailbox.pst" I am logged on as Administrator, as I was on the old install. How do I open my saved mailbox.pst or archive.pst? TIA How did you try opening it? is this a local .pst file? If it is not on your C: drive, is it marked Read-Only? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion int...

Weird files
Just noticed I've got a ton of weird files with names like 2BE48300. The normal files seem to be ok. Any idea what might be producing all these extra files? -- For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. ....Alice Kahn Not sure. Perhaps cleaning up your hard drive will help. http://www.officearticles.com/misc/how_to_clean_up_your_hard_drive.htm Are they Excel files? **************************** Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com **************************** "Steve" <teu@qprc.inv> wrote in message...

path of .pst file
Hello everyone, I want to develop a stand alone application to send and recieve mails through MS Outlook.how can i retrieve the path of .pst file from .net application. actually i am thinking of reading the pst file of MS Outlook. is it possible? Thanks in Advance jyoti The pst file is stored in the profile path of the MSOUTLOK Since the path of the pst can be varied by the user, as can its name, ie it neednt be in the install default path, your app would first have to search for the pst, then you would have to figure out if it/which was the current pst. There are alleged to be third ...

Delete oldest file first
All, I am looking for some code that deletes the oldest files first in a directory. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. "karibbean" <sharp_mind@REMOVE.this.email.msn.dotcom> wrote in message news:uJZArpxvFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > I am looking for some code that deletes the oldest files first in a > directory. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. See FindFirstFile, FindNextFile, FindClose, DeleteFile -- With best wishes, Igor Tandetnik With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is ...

Ungroup a pivot table in XL 2000
I have a pivot table with dates grouped by month. In XL2002, if I want to ungroup them, I can use the PivotTable toolbar. I also have to do this in XL2000, but I don't see the same tool bar. How do you ungroup a pivot table in XL2000? -- Thanks, Fred Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail You can right-click on the field button in the pivot table, and choose 'Group and Outline'. OR, select the cell that contains the field button On the Standard toolbar, choose Data>Group and Outline Fred Smith wrote: > I have a pivot table with dates grouped by month. > > In ...

Anti-spam for Exchange that works with CRM 3.0
Hi, Can anyone recommend an Anti-spam software that works with queues in CRM 3.0? I would prefer an anti-spam software installed on our Exchange 2003 server. However, I need the anti-spam software to process the e-mails before the CRM-Exchange E-mail Router routes the messages to CRM. I am looking at GFi MailEssentials, but I am unsure if this software will work when installed on the Exchange Server. Any comments on how to avoid spam in queues would be helpful! Thank you. -- Regards, Michael Bergman SIMUTEK AB Hi michael I use Symantec Brightmail this check incomming mail before ...

Make excel 2003 default to open files
I have Excel 2003 running alongside 2007. Double clicking an excel file causes it to open in 2007; how do I force 2003 to open the files instead? Sandy You most likely have to reset your file association from 2007 to 2003. Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. See the space between exe and /regserver You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe for Office 2003 In that case Start>Run "C:\your path to\office11\excel.exe" ...

scrambled excel file
Hi AGAIN. I'm trying to open a file that was deleted and later retrieved through GetData Back. It has an .xls extension, but when I try to open it, it's just symbols. Is there some way I can retrieve the proper info. from that file? Do I have to save it as something else? I really need this file back - l mean life & death!! I will attach the file to see if someone can figure this out for me. Thanks again for your help. Your advice last time was great. Sandy Attachment filename: wolf_info liz.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.ph...

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

Removing MS Office X after trial period expires
I want to remove MS Office System X, but I can no longer access Microsoft Office�X folder or the un-install utility. It's not there any longer because the trial version has expired. I assume I will need to manually remove some files, but I have no idea what they are or where they are. I have MS Word and Excel 2001 (and do not want to upgrade right now), but neither of them has an un-install untility included. On 10/23/03 10:49 AM, in article 95e7d7a0.0310230949.5d47819e@posting.google.com, "JG" <jg@unionstreetdesign.com> wrote: > I want to remove MS Office System X, bu...

reading confirmation

MS office + scrolling
Another of the problems that MS office seems to have with 10.5 is background scrolling. All other apps in leopard now have the added functionality of being able to scroll up and down without the window being selected. I find this very useful, but it does not work in MS office. Does any1 know anything about this? Well, what I do know is that it is supported in Excel, PPt & Entourage [which constitute 3/4 of "Office"]. Word is the only one of the four that doesn't. Although I have no idea what the reason is my guess would be that there is one. If it's that beneficial to ...

Outlook 2000 Calendar error
Hi, I get an error when Outlook tries to update the Free/Busy data on it's normal schedule (as set in Tools...Options menu!) It says unable to update public free/busy data, cannot connect to the mail service provider etc I have no trouble with email or anything else, and the calendar works fine apart from that.... any ideas? thanks Philip ...

Excel Template 9
We need to link the running balance on this template to a aging summary with customer balance currently due. Are there any compatible templates such as A/R Summary based on the balances in the Statement of Account template? [Company Name] Statement Date: 2/23/2010 [Company Address] Date Due: [DATE DUE] [City, ST ZIP Code] [Phone] STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT [Customer Name] [Address] [City, State ZIP Code] DATE DESCRIPTION CHARGES CREDITS ACCOUNT BALANCE Balance brought forward $56.00 05/12/04 The Phone Company $500.00 ...

The memory could not be "read".

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

Unable to Read Japanese Email
I correspond with several Japanese users and can read emails from some of them without a problem, but emails from others are nothing but a series of ?????. In one case, I can read one email but not another from the same sender. Changing the Encoding doesn't help. Sending emails in Japanese to them without a problem...they can read it fine. Would appreciate any suggestions/solutions as I'm stumped. I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Home operating system. Japanese language support is installed. ...

Can't open XLS file
When I double-click on the XLS file, empty XLS will open and following message is displayed: “Windows cannot find ‘document name’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again…” The only way to open my files is to 'drag and drop' them into an already open XLS. Thanks for any advice I bet you could open excel and do File|open to open those workbooks, too. Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regse...

Can you transfer your PC MS Office license to a Mac MS Office license?
We have recently purchased a Mac at my workplace and are currently moving as much software from the PC I use to the new Mac. I will no longer be using the PC, so all of the software currently installed on it is useless to us unless we can transfer it over to the Mac. So far, Adobe has been able to transfer all licenses over from the PC to the Mac at no additional cost (save for the cost of shipping the Mac install disks). So on to my question: I am wondering if Microsoft offers a transfer of license from PC to Mac for MS Office? We could obviously just purchase mac.office, but we have alr...

Transferring read e-mail to another folder
Hello I was wondering whether there was a way in which I could automatically transfer my e-mail that has been read into another folder, such as "Old e-mail" or something like that? Thanks ...