Problmes with full migration from Word and Excel 2003 to 2007

A while back I installed Office 2007 but left Word 2003 and Excel 2003 as the
default programs for opening doc and xls files.  A number of months later I
made 2007 the default for both, but left the 2003 programs on the system.
The changed default worked fine for Word 2007.  Occasionally, the default for
xls files would get reset to Excel 2003 for no apparent reason.  I finally
removed Word 2003 and Excel 2003 programs altogether.  (Still have Access
2003 and OneNote 2003 since I don’t 2007 versions of those).

I think I have some kind of overhang from my stepped approach to migrating
to Office 2007.  Two problems:

1.	 When viewing a “detail” file list in windows Explorer, the little icon
in front of the filename for docx files looks like a simple sheet of paper
with lines on it and a corner turned down (kind of like the graphic you see
in a printer or fax machine paper feeder).  On my computers that have never
had Office 2003 installed on them, the icon has the Word graphic clearly
embedded in it.  Definitely not the same icon.  Word 2003 files still have
the old Word 2003 icon in from of the filename, even though Word 2003 program
has been removed from the system altogether.  Not such a big deal, but it
seems that something is wrong.
2.	A more serious issue:  Acrobat 8.2 Standard does not recognize docx and
xlsx as “Supported Formats.”  It does still recognize doc and xls.  Also, in
my initial installation of Office 2007 I removed Powerpoint 2003 altogether
in favor of Powerpoint 2007, and Acrobat does see Powerpoint 2007 as a
Supported Format.  So for Word 2007 and Excel 2007 files, I can only create
pdf files from within Word or Excel, not from within Acrobat 8.2, though I
can create a pdf from a Powerpoint 2007 (and from old Word and Excel 2003
files) file from within Acrobat 8.2.

I have tried repairing the Office 2007 installation, and I have removed Word
and Excel 2007 and then re-added them to the Office 2007 installation.  I
have not removed and reinstalled the entire Office 2007 suite because I don’t
want to have to re-sync several gigabytes of e-mails Outlook 2007 (a Hotmail
account using the Outlook Connector and an Exchange account).  The re-sync
would take many hours, so I’m hoping for an easier solution.  I’m running
Office 2007 Small Business in Windows 7 Home Premium, both up-to-date through
Windows Update.  Any suggestion are appreciated.

ps, I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat 8.2 and that does
not fix problem 2.

"smoddelm" wrote:

> A while back I installed Office 2007 but left Word 2003 and Excel 2003 as the
> default programs for opening doc and xls files.  A number of months later I
> made 2007 the default for both, but left the 2003 programs on the system.
> The changed default worked fine for Word 2007.  Occasionally, the default for
> xls files would get reset to Excel 2003 for no apparent reason.  I finally
> removed Word 2003 and Excel 2003 programs altogether.  (Still have Access
> 2003 and OneNote 2003 since I don’t 2007 versions of those).
>
> I think I have some kind of overhang from my stepped approach to migrating
> to Office 2007.  Two problems:
>
> 1.	 When viewing a “detail” file list in windows Explorer, the little icon
> in front of the filename for docx files looks like a simple sheet of paper
> with lines on it and a corner turned down (kind of like the graphic you see
> in a printer or fax machine paper feeder).  On my computers that have never
> had Office 2003 installed on them, the icon has the Word graphic clearly
> embedded in it.  Definitely not the same icon.  Word 2003 files still have
> the old Word 2003 icon in from of the filename, even though Word 2003 program
> has been removed from the system altogether.  Not such a big deal, but it
> seems that something is wrong.
> 2.	A more serious issue:  Acrobat 8.2 Standard does not recognize docx and
> xlsx as “Supported Formats.”  It does still recognize doc and xls.  Also, in
> my initial installation of Office 2007 I removed Powerpoint 2003 altogether
> in favor of Powerpoint 2007, and Acrobat does see Powerpoint 2007 as a
> Supported Format.  So for Word 2007 and Excel 2007 files, I can only create
> pdf files from within Word or Excel, not from within Acrobat 8.2, though I
> can create a pdf from a Powerpoint 2007 (and from old Word and Excel 2003
> files) file from within Acrobat 8.2.
>
> I have tried repairing the Office 2007 installation, and I have removed Word
> and Excel 2007 and then re-added them to the Office 2007 installation.  I
> have not removed and reinstalled the entire Office 2007 suite because I don’t
> want to have to re-sync several gigabytes of e-mails Outlook 2007 (a Hotmail
> account using the Outlook Connector and an Exchange account).  The re-sync
> would take many hours, so I’m hoping for an easier solution.  I’m running
> Office 2007 Small Business in Windows 7 Home Premium, both up-to-date through
> Windows Update.  Any suggestion are appreciated.

Migrating from sendmail to exchange 2007
We have been running Sendmail at our office and we want to migrate to exchange 2007. In this situation, we have a problem how to move data from pop3 mailboxes to exchange 2007 mailboxes. So, anybody has an idea how I can move the data from POP3 mailboxes to exchange 2007 mailboxes? And is there any good tool to do that task? Thanks, Thiha thkz wrote: > We have been running Sendmail at our office and we want to migrate to > exchange 2007. In this situation, we have a problem how to move data > from pop3 mailboxes to exchange 2007 mailboxes. So, anybody has an > idea how I can mov...

Email Scanning Notification not displaying
Greetings all I would appreciate any guidance with this particular problem. I have recently installed Office 2003. With regard to Outlook 2003 I now get no notification that my Norton Antivirus 2004 software is scanning incoming and outgoing emails. I have checked Norton Antivirus and all the boxes etc that need to be ticked are ticked. Does anyone know of any incompatibilty problems between Outlook 2003 and Norton Antivirus 2004? Or perhaps there may be something in Outlook 2003 that I may be missing. Any help would be appreciated. Happy New Year to you all!! ------------------------...

Webmail services compatible with Outlook 2003
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. Advice would be much appreciated. I have a Hotmail account that I set up on Outlook 2003 before Microsoft stopped this (I gather this was to make spamming harder). However, I would like to be able to check other email accounts from Outlook (for example, I would like to set up an addresses I can use for mailing list subscriptions etc). As this wouldn't be possible with hotmail, is there another good webmail service for which I can check multiple accounts/addresses using Outlook 2003? I was going to use Gmail - does this have Outlook compatibility? ...

Count how many times the same word appears in column
Hello, I have a long list of about 50,000 words in column A. Some of these words are the same. I want to know the exact number of times each word appears in the A column. And I want to sort these words based on how many times they appear in the A column. How can I do that? Alexa =countif(A:A,B1),if B1= you word In B1, add =COUNTIF($A:$A,A1) Copy down Then sort by column B -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Alexa" <forums@discountcosmeticsguide.com> wrote in message news:5035b11a.0504160444.6b89e3a2@posting.google.com... > Hel...

Office 2003 pft files, lost password
I have tried everything to recover the password - my 3 login and current passowrds, my old login and old passwords, cannnot get in. Im trying to export to a file (flash drive and external hard drive) to transfer informaiton to my new laptop. Yet for some unknown reason, I've been able to export some information but it's outdated (my calendar and contacts are for daily business needs). when I try to open the files to transfer to new laptop the error is "incorrect file path, reenter file path (registry ??). OH - hmmm, new laptop has Windows 7, is that the issue ?...

Outlook 2003 mail folder question
How do I remove the 2nd folder area down in the Outlook navigational pane? It is titled "All Mail Folders" and it is located just below my Favourite Folders. I would prefer not to have this area displayed. You cannot remove it. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Paul" <paul@intersprint.com> wrote in message news:uYwt8qc1DHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How do I remove the 2nd folder area down in the Outlook n...

Exchange 2003 SMTP and UNIX
What needs to be done on Exchange 2003 servers to maintain interoperability with Unix servers? When we replaced our Exchange 5.5 servers with Exchange 2003, all xml messages are being delivered as attachments? -- Teo Gomez Teo Gomez <teoatinventrixdotnet> wrote: >What needs to be done on Exchange 2003 servers to maintain interoperability >with Unix servers? When we replaced our Exchange 5.5 servers with Exchange >2003, all xml messages are being delivered as attachments? Did you modify the default format of the messages in 5.5? Did you make the same modification to the n...

searching within Word 2007 no longer works
I'm running Windows XP and Office 2007. For years I've used control F to search within Word and Excel documents. The command still works for Excel, but no longer for Word. What can I do to restore this valuable command In Word, click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Customize category, click Customize; Word displays the Customize Keyboard dialog box. Click the "All Commands" category and select EditFind in the list of commands. Make sure "Save changes in" is set to "Normal.dotm," and then reassign Ctrl+F. Click Close, an...

Closing Excel 2007
When I click on the "close" button on Excel, why does Excel close just the active window instead of exiting from Excel? Now, even if I have just one workbook open, I have to effectively close Excel twice. Is there a way to change this behavior? Thank you, John I believe you can add a button to the quick custom toolbar. Add a button that looks like an X (for exit) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "John Forrest" <microsoft@jforrest.net> wrote in message news:eK3$3T8dHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > When I click on the "close" button on Excel, why d...

Using Access 2007 runtime along with full install of Access 2K
Is it possible to successfully run Access 2007 runtime on a machine that has a full install of Access 2K? We seem to be having issues with the following registry key not updating when switching back to the older version of Access. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{4AFFC9A0-5F99-101B- AF4E-00AA003F0F07}\9.0\0\win32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\msacc9.olb" Following running Access 2007 runtime the key changes to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{4AFFC9A0-5F99-101B- AF4E-00AA003F0F07}\9.0\0\win32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Of...

Outlook 2003 crash with IMAP
Please help. Outlook 2003 SP2 is crashing most of the time while trying to contact our local IMAP server with send/receive. It's crashing hard in outlook.exe, asking to send error report. Logging is disabled as I googled this as a possible source for crashes. I reinstalled Outlook with no success and the PST file was checked with scanpst.exe. It is not crashing all but most of the time. Any clue for me ? Henrik -- Henrik Schmidt Christian-Albrechts-Universitaet zu Kiel Institut fuer Informatik +49 (431) 880 75 - 50 Fax or 43 Phone Olshausenstr. 40 ...

Inserting and Resizing An Oversized Excel Worksheet
I'm attempting to add information from an Excel worksheet on to a page of a newsletter I'm working on in Publisher 2003, but I'm running into a problem. The newsletter page's dimensions are 8 1/2" x 11", but at full size, the Excel worksheet is larger than these dimensions. I can adjust the print settings on the worksheet in Excel to allow me to print the worksheet on a single 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper, but I can't adjust the size of the worksheet as an object in Publisher so that all of the contens of the worksheet can be seen. When I insert...

Is there some way to pivot nested tables or subtable in excel
I was trying to pivot a table where I have a row with a cell containing multiple rows. This is a kind of sub-table. i.e. Skill Sub-Skill Requirements Java J2EE 50 J2EE/Websphere 40 J2EE/JSP 30 ..NET VB/.NET 65 ASP/C#/.Net 38 Can somebody pivot this table in a format where if I click Java then only options of Java like J2EE, J2EE/Websphere, J2EE/JSP are shown. I have tried all my mind and now I am here. ...

Missing Tools Menu in Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I don't have a "tools" menu (and the related functions) in Word 08, even though I have it in Excel. What gives? (expletives withheld) Well, I have one. Maybe you accidentally deleted yours. If you go to View | Customize Toolbars/Menus, select the Menu Bar, and click Reset, it should set all your main menus and built-in toolbars back to the default. If you have customized your menus or toolbars, you may want to explore the Customize dialog, and drag the commands you are missing back to the toolbars/m...

excel 2000 and 2003
I have a program created in 2003 that has a TOC page with links to about 46 sheets. The sheets have the code Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() UserForm1.Show End Sub When I open it in 2003 and click the link, UserForm1 is shown. When I open the same program in 2000. when a user clicks there individual tab, the UserForm is activated, but when they click the link on the TOC page it does not activate the form. Any suggestions. Thanks A longggggg time ago, there was a discussion about this kind of problem (not with xl2003), though. One suggestion was to get ri...

scale text and pictures from full page to booklet
I have a multi page catalogue in full page and wish to simply scale down to print as a booklet. The contents are text and pictures. paul smith wrote: > I have a multi page catalogue in full page and wish to simply scale down to > print as a booklet. The contents are text and pictures. Change your paper size to twice your print size in one direction, and the setup to Booklet if it isn't already. Print a PDF using PrimoPDF from www.primopdf.com or your PDF creator of choice, and print that to regular-sized paper using Adobe Reader to scale it. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft P...

Clients receive empty message sending by OWA 2003 Basic
I am using MS Exchange 2003 (BE on WS03 DC with SPS and FE on WS03 with ISA2k). Some clients (not all, but some older, nobody new) receive e-mail with empty message, when it is sent by other clients within organization by OWA basic clients. Premium and outlook clients are ok. Outside clients are ok. Receiving and sending. Windows and Exchanges are patched. Typically, when I send email to myself by OWA basic, I receive it with emty message. ...

I cant find my other rows in excel
Where did you look? ns1634 wrote: -- Dave Peterson Not much info to work with. Do you mean they are hidden? If that is the case, highlight the row header on either side of the missing rows then right click and select unhide. HTH Martin "ns1634" <ns1634@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7C00220-57BF-4AA9-ABFF-A5CE9FC8FDD6@microsoft.com... > Or maybe data|filter|show all Who knows????? MartinW wrote: > > Not much info to work with. > Do you mean they are hidden? > If that is the case, highlight the row header on either > side of ...

Number and Word in the same cell
I want to be able to have a number and a word in the same cell, but still be able to use formulas to add, subtract, ect. to the number. For example: I have 6 meters in cell A1 and want to add 11.9 meters If A1 = 6 meters A2 = 11.9 meters =VALUE(LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1,1)-1))+VALUE(LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2,1)-1)) "Bob Martin" wrote: > I want to be able to have a number and a word in the same cell, but still be > able to use formulas to add, subtract, ect. to the number. > For example: I have 6 meters in cell A1 and want to add 11.9 meters An alternativ...

index not found access 2003
Hi, I have a ".dbf" file I am trying to open. I have access 2003 on all our PC's, fully licensed. Anyway, on two PC's it opens just fine, on the 3rd one it opens in access, but when I go to open the database I get an "index not found" error. It first brings up a "search box as to where to look for the index". What is going on???? Any suggestions? These PC's are all on Windows XP SP2 and have automatic updates loading so I feel they should essentially be the same - but apparently something is different on the one. If anyone has a suggestion it ...

Performing email merge from MS Word
I'd appreciate if anyone can help me solve this problem. I have a legitimate subscriber list of 8000 subscribers through my website (not SPAM), and I would like to try sending them newsletters using MS Word 2002 and Outlook 2002 - with the mail merge feature. The problem is that outlook gives me the security dialogue box when the mails are created - the one that says that another program is trying to get it to do something, and do i give permission. For a list of 8,000 addresses this means I need to sit there and hit <enter> for hours. is there a way to turn off that secu...

Does the Letter Wizard exist in Word 2007?
I'm looking to see if this feature still exists in Word 2007. If it does, I can't seem to find it. Thanks! There are no wizards in Word 2007. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Judy" <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56B9447D-E249-464B-918F-F301E2102EB4@microsoft.com... > I'm looking to see if this feature still exists in Word 2007. If it does, > I > can't seem to find it. > > Thanks! > Not sure if this is what you are ...

How do I clear blank space at the top of a word-wrapped text cell?
Often when I set cells to word-wrap and then auto-fit the row height, cells with text will end up with a blank line or two at the top. It's not extra spaces in the text because when I go to the formula bar, there's nothing before the start of the text. I can manually adjust the size of each row, but that's a hassle and not very consistent! Thanks. In the same Format, Cells, Alignment, select Top in Text Alignment Vertical. HTH, Carole O "mirage1210" wrote: > Often when I set cells to word-wrap and then auto-fit the row height, cells > with text will ...

Outlook 2003 and exchange 5.5 server
If the Exchange server is setup first(default) in email accounts I get internal email. If internet mail is setup second I get (too many hops) message. If internet mail is first I get outside mail ok, when exchange is second I don't get internal mail. This only seems to be occurring on one XP Pro with office 2003(outlook 2003). I've reloaded and still have problem. What's going on? ...

Excel 97
I am trying to open a 4000 row html table in Excel 97. I've read somewhere that Excel 97 has problems opening larhe html tables. Could anyone point me to a knowledge base document that details this. TIA MattC ...