Office '97 - is there hope of still using this program today?

I downloaded the compatibility pack and it worked, BUT... Now when I try to
open email Word attachments, the computer tries to save it, instead of
opening it.  HELP!

Greg

Should be working fine on your Windows 98 . Just a presumption since you did not
post details of your OS or on anything else

If you have XP,Vista,Win7 then you are out of luck since Office 97 is not supported
on these or on any other OS

--
Peter

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded the compatibility pack and it worked, BUT... Now when I try to
> open email Word attachments, the computer tries to save it, instead of
> opening it.  HELP!

0
Peter
1/30/2010 7:32:11 PM
In article <3A1265D3-D168-4564-95E2-5B538D00F1CF@microsoft.com>, Greg wrote:
> I downloaded the compatibility pack and it worked, BUT... Now when I try to
> open email Word attachments, the computer tries to save it, instead of
> opening it.  HELP!

If memory serves, the compatibility pack only works on versions back to 2000.

You can still use Office 97, at least on Windows XP, but you may not be able
to open files from Office 2007 and later.  Ask people to save the files in 97
-2003 format before sending them to you.

0
Steve
1/30/2010 11:00:20 PM
Office 97 works great on WIN XP Professional.....Until, you install Office
2007.  There is a compatibility problem, but I found the answer a few pages
back.  Sorry, I can't remember where, but Microsoft gave a full detailed
answer on how to have both versions running on the same PC.  Hope that
somewhat helps.

I found out to late.......

"Greg" wrote:

> I downloaded the compatibility pack and it worked, BUT... Now when I try to
> open email Word attachments, the computer tries to save it, instead of
> opening it.  HELP!
Skip,

Just curious...why in the world would anyone want Office 97 and Office 2007
installed on the same system at the same time?

"Skip" <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Office 97 works great on WIN XP Professional.....Until, you install Office
> 2007.  There is a compatibility problem, but I found the answer a few pages
> back.  Sorry, I can't remember where, but Microsoft gave a full detailed
> answer on how to have both versions running on the same PC.  Hope that
> somewhat helps.
>
> I found out to late.......
>

> "Greg" wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the compatibility pack and it worked, BUT... Now when I try to
>> open email Word attachments, the computer tries to save it, instead of
>> opening it.  HELP!

0
David
1/31/2010 11:20:49 AM
In article <ejZ6tdmoKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, David Webb wrote:
> Skip,
>
> Just curious...why in the world would anyone want Office 97 and Office 2007
> installed on the same system at the same time?

So that they can run both.  ;-)

They might be supporting users who have both versions, for example.
Or writing code that needs to run on both versions.

0
Steve

Using VBS t o configure outlook
is it possible to create a vbs script to automatically configure outlook 2002 for user on a domain. Thanks James ...

Using Exmerge #2
Hi there, I'm using Exmerge for the first time on an Exchange 2003 box. I was reading through the KB article 174197 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174197/ and it says "Before you run this program, make sure that the Microsoft Outlook Client and the Microsoft Exchange Administrator program are installed on the computer that Exmerge.exe is being run on." then in the next paragraph it notes, "We recommend that you do not install Outlook on the Exchange server." So, before I go installing anything can someone please point me in the correct direction? Can I run exmerg...

Virus Outbreak by using SMTP virtual server
Hi, The client was accidentally open approved-password.zip file then the nightmare began to spread out. It will use "system administrator" and "webmaster" as sender to inform the user that their password is grant or deny. Today, it tried to send out as NDR style. I assumed the virus on the workstation is using our smtp server. Will there a log that SMTP virtual server may generate so I can keep cross reference such as workstation or username so I can pinpoint? Any suggestion or recommendation will be appreciated. I am currently using Trend Micro Offican or Scan...

Service Pack for Office 2003
Just in case you don't know, SP1 for Office 2003 is available.About 18MB download - bit of a bummer on dial up but I managed it, and it seems stable enough of course! Don't know specific fixes. Dave http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040804.htm#sp1 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips...

no warning file in use
Hi. I've got a question about a shared Excel file stored on Windows 2000 server. This file is accessed by two different Windows XP end users running Excel 2002 on their machines. Recently these two different end users have been accessing the same shared Excel file simultaneously without the usual file lock or warning that the file is in use. Sometimes they get the warning, sometimes not. When they don't, they assume they have rights to save to the file, only to find later on that their changes were not saved. I'm having both check for updates so that their Microsoft s...

chkdsk
Server 2003 with a 4 drive RAID (500 Gb each drive). One of the drives went south (Western Digital Caviar Black) and when the system came back up a folder was reported as corrupted and inaccessable so I set CHKDSK to run and restarted the machine. 8 hours later it has found one error in an index but still no signs of finishing up anytime soon. Is there any way to fix these errors that doesn't involve taking a server down for an entire day? http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/storage/getstorfacts.mspx Fiction: Check disk (CHKDSK) takes too long. Fact: CHKDSK...

SUMPRODUCT using Time between two values
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me. I have a sheet with the following layout of data (shortened here and changed for obvious reasons) Venue Date Event Start Event End Act Disney 4/13/10 7:00 PM 10:00 PM Goofy MSG 2/13/10 1:00 PM 3:00 PM Basketball Park 3/14/10 6:00 PM 8:00 PM Harlem Globetrotters So, what I have is a user input a Venue, Date, Time Value, and I would need the Act returned... For example, Disney, 4/13/10, 8:25:13 PM, would ou...

Out of Office Assistant #29
This is not on the Tools menu of Ooutlook 2002, and the Help fix is to: On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the Other tab, and then click Advanced Options. Click Add-In Manager. Select the option Exchange Extensions commands. This is checked and still no Out of Office - is there another install this needs? "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:019001c3db95$2eb3ef20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > This is not on the Tools menu of Ooutlook 2002, and the > Help fix is to: On the Tools menu, click Options. > Click the Other tab, and then click ...

Excel Queries using Access data
Im trying to create a query from within Excel. When I select new database query and select a database which has no securtiy login/password, no problem, works fine. However, when I try to source the data from a database which I have created using user logins/passwords it says that I do not have admin privilages to use the database even though I am putting in the correct login/username in the popup window? Please can anyone help? I've had limited experience with this sort of thing but I've always had to strip out the protection on the Access Database and create a copy before suc...

Updated Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I am not very techno minded, so I don't know what to do. I updated Office 2008 and now it says that I have entered an invalid product key. I didn't enter any product key! I went to some of the help solutions on this site and one told me to delete the Office Folder. If I do this won't I lose all of the files I have in Word and ExceL? I am afraid to do anything, but cannot get into any files. Please help me with simple instructions if you can. Thanks. On 8/5/09 5:08 PM, in article 59b79af0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "LC@...

Converting access tables to XML for use in .NET web app
I need to access tables in an .mdb file and convert them to XML for use in my ..NET 2.0 web application. Can anyone point me to any tutorials or references on how to accomplish this? (Note: I am using VB) Thanks! ...

Have Outlook Today display certain calendar categories
Anyone know how I could (with or without add-ins) have outlook display only certain calendar categories? I want to exclude some day-to-day calendar items from showing up and cluttering the space :) create a custom view? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/viewmenu.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ <matt.coast@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158197...

Possible to open word documents in Excel using hyperlinks?
Hi, I wondered whether it was possible to open office documents from within MS Excel using hyperlinks to the related files. The documents in question are MS Word format. Cheers Have you try it ? Ctrl-K Existing file ...... -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "DobieM" <DobieM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DFD72F1-0F21-4414-929D-4D9307997D68@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I wondered whether it was possible to open office documents from within MS > Excel using hyperlinks to the related files. The documents in question are MS > Wor...

installation programs
Hi We have an MFC program and we currently use Wise (old version) for the installation program. It works reasonably well but we want to change to a more up-to-date installation system. Is there anything using Visual Basic or VBScript so I dont have to learn yet another scripting language :) Any advice or information will be much appreciated Phil Why not use Visual Studio/Windows Installer? It can run VBScripts in custom actions; you can create a VB (or C# or C++) installation DLL that will implement the 4 stock custom actions provided by Visual Studio, or you can implement hand...

Out of Office will not tell user that it is on
Office 2003/internal user/Exchange 5.5/Widows XP/Dell Optiplex I have a user who uses Out of Office a lot. Unfortunately, once he turns it on, it will not pop him with the message that his out of office reply is on, would he like to turn it off....this is very important to him and I really need to find a solution to this problem. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried turning it off and then back on with no success. Pain in the Outlook wrote: > Office 2003/internal user/Exchange 5.5/Widows XP/Dell Optiplex > > I have a user who uses Out of Office a lot. Unfortunately, once he > turn...

Can you share a calendar using Outlook web access?
We are using Outlook Web Access only. Is there a way to share calendars? In news:AED7800B-502A-44D1-A386-5A9274753BDB@microsoft.com, betzie <betzie@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > We are using Outlook Web Access only. Is there a way to share > calendars? You can access a calendar (or any mailbox folder, I believe) if it's already shared - but you can't create the share/set the permissions in OWA. You might post OWA questions in microsoft.public.exchange.clients - OWA is part of Exchange, not Outlook. ...

Remove blank entries from a list box either using VBA or basic formula #3
Thanks Debra Havent thought about using dynamic ranges before.....I am a bit of Excel learner. I shall look into this as you suggest. Thanks again Celtic_avenge -- Celtic_Avenge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Celtic_Avenger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1410 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27183 ...

[ANN] Office 2008 12.0.1 update
Hi All, The Office 20089 12.0.1 update is now available on Mactopia: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx It should soon also be available through Auto-update. 114.1MB!!! The KB describing the update is not yet live on the MS site so at this time I do not yet have the release note, but it will be available here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=108496 The updater is a .mpkg package (so it is installable through over a network through ARD :-) ). Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ --- http://www.mvps.org - http://...

Activating Office for Mac 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello, I'm a newbie on here and would appreciate any help offered for this infuriating problem of trying to activate my Office for Mac 2008 software. I bought a new MacBook and ordered the software from Digital River as I work for the NHS. I downloaded and installed the software no problem. When I tried to open Word or any other program, I get the activation screen. At that point it says that my product key is invalid!! I have emailed microsoft (who advised me on how to download??) countless times and spent a coup...

Use Excel to make an update query to another database table?
I have a spreadsheet in Excel with information on it that I'd like to update to a database table (outside of Excel). I have been using Excel to pull database information in, and now I'd like to use it to write data to the same table. To this point I've just been copying the data into an Access table and creating an update query. Anyway to get Excel to do this?? Many thanks in advance. ...

ON 2010 on top of Office 2007
Is it okay to install just Onenote 2010 while running Office 2007? I only want to try the features in Onenote at this time. Does the interfunctionality (notably with Outlook and IE) still work? Thank you for assistance, -Bruce Bruce wrote: > Is it okay to install just Onenote 2010 while running Office 2007? I > only want to try the features in Onenote at this time. Yes. When installing choose "customized" and deselect the rest of Office. You can leave ON2007 on the machine. Both versions can co-exist, > Does the interfunctionality (notably with Outlook...

Using mail-to hyperlink with an attachment
I'm creating forms using Excel and Word. Somewhere in the form is an email address. I can use Edit-hyperlink to specify the recipient address of the email address as well as the subject field. Great. What I'd really like is to be able to specify that the form file itself (the ..doc or .xls) is also attached to the email message. I'd like to specify that right in the hyperlink. Then it can act as a workflow. I don't know anything about VBA so I'd rather not go there. Is this possible? ...

Sync between Sent Items-mailbox when using OWA and Sent Items in P
Dear Sir In my office I use outlook connected to exchange server through a LAN, where I send and receive emails normally. I use Personal Folders so I find all received emails in Inbox and all sent emails in Sent Items of the personal folder. At weekend I close my outlook before I go home in order to keep all my received emails in the mail box of the server, I use Outlook Web Access (OWA) connected to the exchange server through the internet where I send and receive email normally and I find all the received emails in the Inbox and all the sent emails in the Sent Items of the...

OutLook in XP Office Pro producing this error:
After upgrading from Office 2k to Office XP Pro, I am getting the following error message. I imported my "old" archive and it had/has a folder called "BladePro". Each time my archive runs, I get this message. I have searched my entire hard drive and there are no other archive folders so where is it finding a second "BladePro" folder? This is irritating, to say the least. Error while archiving folder "BladePro" in store "Archive Folders". A folder by this name already exists. If possible, please send your suggestions to: rweeks@cableon...

Why do OnLButtonDown and OnMouseWheel use different coordinates?
I raised a WM_LBUTTONDOWN AND WM_MOUSEWHEEL at the same position of a window, but found that the CPoint pt in the OnMouseWheel is different from the CPoint point. I tried many times, the CPoint point is alway the same at a certain position but the CPoint pt varies in a range of 100, why are these two coordinates different? And how can I transform them? "wang" <wang_jia_ji@21cn.com> wrote in message news:087701c38559$d97828a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I raised a WM_LBUTTONDOWN AND WM_MOUSEWHEEL at the same > position of a window, but found that the CPoint pt in the >...