Office 2010 and Basic Authentication on IIS fails to open documents

Hi,

I have just upgraded my Office 2007 to 2010 (yes the RTM build) and am
running into some serious trouble accessing documents stored on a web server
or SharePoint server configured to only allow Basic Authentication.
Word opens as expected but does not do anything else (no prompt, no document
download, nothing). Accessing any Office document on a server or SharePoint
2007/2010 server that has e.g. Integrated Windows authentication enabled,
all is good I get prompted for credentials and the document downloads and
opens as expected and as in Office 2007.

Where is the setting or registry key to make Office 2010 work with IIS and
SharePoint configured to only use Basic Authentication? This can't be gone!
I know this is less secure but in an Intranet environment acceptable. This
is causing major trouble and a resolution or hint is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for a hint
Jascha

0
Jascha

For me the same :(
Unable to open data connection to the external sharepoint portal with the
"non-windows" credentials.

Try this solution:
open "regedit"
go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Internet
Create a registry key called BasicAuthLevel as a DWORD
And set it to 2

It works for me.

Opening file error
One of my users does work at home (Excel 2000), the puts the work on a diskette and brings it to work (Excel 2000). She she tries to open the file she gets message "document.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding. I had her email the document to work to eliminate the possibility of a corrupt diskette. She still could not open it. Does anyone know the problem lies in the scenario? Thanks Kim I saw a similar problem not long ago where I found that...

opening email client
Ho do I stop Messenger opening windows live mail. I just want it to go straight to web based email (hotmail) account. Greetings Tania, To stop this from happening you'll just have to disable the automatic signing into your Live ID from Live Mail. To do that, pop open Live Mail, press the Alt key on the keyboard to open up the menu bar, choose Tools, then Options, then Connection tab, and choose 'Stop signing in'. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com Messenger Re...

The database cannot be opened...
Access 2007, Windows 7 ... When attempting to run a simple import from Excel, I was getting "The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted." Tried a lot of suggestions from the net, none worked. Uninstalled Access, then re-installed. Now getting ... "Microsoft Access can't find the wizard. This wizard has not been installed, or there is an incorrect setting in the Windows Registry, or this wizard has been disabled". There's nothing there in ...

Can a retrieve a powerpoint presentation I failed to save?
I was wondering if I failed to save a powerpoint presentaiton I worked on is there anyway to find it somewhere in the computer On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:10:01 -0800, Dorothy wrote: > I was wondering if I failed to save a powerpoint presentaiton I worked on is > there anyway to find it somewhere in the computer You have posted this message to the wrong newsgroup. The access in this groups name refers to Microsoft Access, a database program. Please repost to the correct newsgroup for whatever Office program you are using (PowerPoint). I would suggest you include your Windows and Office v...

Mac user with pointless Office
Hello, Dear Microsoft developers, I'm a Mac user, who's new to Mac. And I used to be Windows user as most of the people. The thing I'm sad about now is the Microsoft Office for the mac. As an Arabic user, I can't read nor write in Arabic at Word, or any of the Microsoft program, which was a huge disappoint for me. Now though, with the news of the new Microsoft Office for mac, all of Arab users are waiting and hoping that there will be an Arabic support. I wish that you give me your response and tell me if there will be an Arabic support or not? knowing that the Office on window...

Opening disk containing Excel worksheet
I saved an Excel worksheet to a disk in the a drive. Later I opened it to edited the material, then resaved it to the disk. When I tried to open it again, it would not open. I received an error message stating that "The file may be read-only or you may be trying to access a read- only location." Other files on the disk do open. How can I either open the file, or at least access the contents so that I can have it retyped? I find the following thread to be fairly comprehensive. http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&...

Office 2007 does not install all features
I recently installed as an upgrade Office 2007 on a machine that already had 2003. I needed to retain the 2003 I am noticing that certain features did not upgrade to the 2007 format, e.g., the Out of Office Assistant in 2007 in still the old Out of Office, Scheduling Assistant is still the old Scheduling. In Excel I am missing a couple of icons. I want to be able to use the new features especially in the Out of Office Assistant. Is there any way to redirect the location where Office 2007 looks? I have done this before with other versions and had no problem. The versions are ...

opening lotus wk4
i'm trying to open lotus .wk4 in excel and it gives me an error message. how can i open the lotus document in excel? -- What is the error message? ************ Anne Troy VBA Project Manager www.OfficeArticles.com "turkey" <turkey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0411CBD-338F-4EBF-A701-C614F3F70E04@microsoft.com... > i'm trying to open lotus .wk4 in excel and it gives me an error message. > how > can i open the lotus document in excel? > > -- > ...

Opening links from Outlook in Mozilla Firefox
I have a problem and would appreciate some help. When I open a mail in Outlook and it contains a link to a web page and I wish to follow it, it doesn't do it for me. Instead it opens an error window with "Microsoft Outlook" in the window title, saying "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I've tried with different settings of Firefow and Outlook, I've tried Help files and internet tutorials, but I can't manage to fix this. The machine in question is a home ...

My Outlook hangs for a minute + each time I try to open an email
Outlook 2003 hangs each time I move to another email or inbox or try to open an email; I ahev tried all the cleaups and registry cleans etc and my system is runing XP Pro fast with no probs. This has only started a short while ago; anyone know why it would happen? ...

Tracking users who open my workbook
Sorry ... continuation of my previous e-mail. The hidden worksheet or separate workbook to be set up for example ... so username is in column A, date column B and time in column C. Fred Flintstone hu kiteb: > Sorry ... continuation of my previous e-mail. > > The hidden worksheet or separate workbook to be set up for example > ... so username is in column A, date column B and time in column C. What's to stop someone from copying the file and viewing it locally, or viewing it without making changes? It is quite easy for a given user to see the contents without forcing a sav...

Can I buy upgrade for works to get office etc
I was told by a local retailer that if I have a recent version of works all I need to do to get excel or office it to buy the upgrade. Is this true? tia Hi see: http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/howtobuy/default.mspx#EEAA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:07f401c4ac3c$dfc2d740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I was told by a local retailer that if I have a recent > version of works all I need to do to get excel or office > it to buy the upgrade. Is this true? > tia Most newer versions of Works and Wor...

debug a document double click
If I double click on a document for my application it crashes - how do I debug this, because clearly I can't do it while the tool is running (it opens a new instance when double click a file)? I associated the files with the debug version of the build and it brings up visual studio OK, but there is no useful information (to me!) and none of my classes are in the callstack window, nor does it step into any of my code. Callstack window has just this: > mfc80.dll!CWinApp::ExitInstance() Line 852 + 0xa bytes C++ mfc80.dll!AfxWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ ...

Add background sound in Beta 2010
What is the trick to adding a background sound in WLM 2010 Beta? All the tips refer to a FORMAT option that does not seem to be in this = Beta=20 Version. Thanks=20 That option is not available. -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "Richard in AZ" wrote in message news:uoO8CkdULHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... What is the trick to adding a background sound in WLM 2010 Beta? All the tips refer to a FORMAT option that does not seem to be in this Beta Version. Thanks > What is the trick to adding a background sound in WLM 2010 Beta? Learning the necessary HT...

when installing microsoft office enterprise 2007 I got error 25004
I have a computer with OS Windows 7. Is this software is compatible or not? Ricardo wrote: >I have a computer with OS Windows 7. Is this software is compatible or not? > > Have you uninstalled any trial versions that may have come with your Windows 7 system? Trial versions and proper licensed versions aren't compatible with each other unless you know how to crack a trial version to convert it into a full version. hth Yes it is, but since Enterprise is a volume license you will need to seek direct support from whoever supplied it "Ricardo" &...

How can I remove ALL hyperlinks in a document in Excel 2003?
I would like to Remove ALL hyperlinks instead of one by one in Excel 2003 Sub DeleteHyperlinks() Dim Cell As Range For Each Cell In Intersect(Selection, _ Selection.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues)) With ActiveSheet .Hyperlinks.Delete End With Next Cell End Sub Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 25 May 2010 08:04:01 -0700, ToBeFree71 <ToBeFree71@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to Remove ALL hyperlinks instead of one by one in Excel 2003 You don't need the loop. Sub DeleteHyperlinks()...

Failed to Update Headers
I run Exchange 2003 on a Enterprise Server 2003. We are running Outlook 2003 at the office and some users use Outlook XP (2002) at home. When the client connects to his mailbox through IMAP, everything seems to work fine. However, periodically the user receives a pop-up message stating "Failed to Update Headers", and when expanding on the error pop-up, it reads IMAP error and lists the standard ports we use. The message will sometimes pop-up every couple minutes, or sometimes every few hours, but regardless it is very annoying to the users, and it appears something is wrong s...

Need Hyperlinked .jpg file to open in MS Picture Manager
I have created a slide presentation in PP 2007 with a graphic icon on each slide that hyperlinks to a specific .jpg file. The hyper link works great but the .jpg file opens in Windows Internet Explorer, even though I have set MS Office Picture Manager as my default .jpg "open with" program. How can I get my hyperlinked .jpg files to automatically open in MS Office Picture Manager and not in Internet Explorer? In article <AB94855A-C462-47B2-8794-6E5F063EEBE8@microsoft.com>, Triniscuba wrote: > I have created a slide presentation in PP 2007 with a graphic icon o...

ErrorMessage: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method not
hi: Why does the procedure present the mistake? ErrorMessage: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method not allo procedure Code: procedure function:CRMAccount.CreateAndRetrieve string strServer = "computer"; // virtualDirectory should be set with the name of the Microsoft CRM // virtual directory on the platform Web server string virtualDirectory = "computer"; string strDir = "http://" + strServer + "/" + virtualDirectory + "/"; // BizUser proxy object Microsoft.CRM.Proxy.BizUser bizUser = new Microsoft.CRM.Proxy.BizUser (); biz...

eXPANDING Office Screen
I have just reloaded my XP Program onto a new (formatted) drive, and I also reloaded my office 2000 program. Originally I had no problem with it, but after awhile, when I access outlook, all of my system icons and program buttons associated with Windows doubled in size and the text is large enough for a blind person to view. These include the start bar, main screen, etc. When I leave outlook, my system reverts to "normal." Other programs arent affected in this way. I have done all appropriate upgrades...can anyone help? john.mandeville@knology.net ...

Cannot Open Outlook #6
Hello I need help!!! I am using XP. Recently, my clean up the disk & reloaded office 2000 then I cannot open outlook to set up account!! Eachtime I click on Outlook icon on desktop!! The hour of glass just shown!!!! The the message came up is online reporting to Microsoft..... I have attempted to download the updates from the OutLook site but still cannot solve. Many Thanks!!! Please help. My email is CharlieBrown8989@hotmail.com See if the following helps you already; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.co...

Linking Quotes to 'Open Opportunities'
I am trying to link quotes to the 'Open Opportunities' Entity so that when all our sales guys look at 'all open Opportunities' they can see at a glance which ones have a quote linked to them I want this to be done automatically when a new quote is generated. Can this be done? ...

Install Fail CRM 3.0
I am having a problem with the CRM 3.0 install, an excerpt from my logfile is listed below. My setup is: The CRM box has the following installed: Windows 2003 Std Server MS SQL 2005 (with SSRS installed) Other Boxes: Another Server runs MS Excahnge Domain Controllers I have tried to install CRM to the local domain (Atlas) and to the OU both give this result. I have IIS running, I can browse to the default web., the SSRS Reports and ReportServer sites OK. I got thru the prerequisites OK. Excerpt of the logfile where it stops: 11:39:30|Verbose| Adding account NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK S...

Unable to Open Excel files from a Windows UFS

Excel opens but an error message appears
I copied a folder of various files using Roxio Easy CD Creator ver 5.3.0.71. When I try to open any of the files, the following error pops up "file cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only or trying to access a read only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." I don't like to open files from removeable media. Can you copy the files to your harddrive (change the readonly attribute, if required) and then open from there? CopyCDProblems wrote: > > I copied a folder of various files using Roxio Easy CD > Creator ver 5.3.0.71...