MS Office 97 to MS Office 2007

I have been running Office 97 pro on Windows XP because I do not want
to loose the shortcut bar that came with 97.

Thing is that I have been thinking about installing the 2007 version
of Office that I have had but never installed yet for above reasons.

Question is can I install the 2007 version over the 97 version and
have it update the programs but keep the shortcut bar??

I know there are probably other shortcut bars or whatever out there
but as I asked I would rather keep the 97 one if possible.

TIA

0
kraut

Microsoft has several Knowledge Base articles on running multiple versions
of Office on the same computer.  For example:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091

What you propose seems possible, but I haven't read all of the articles in
their entirety.  There is a lot to read.

Earle

"kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message

> I have been running Office 97 pro on Windows XP because I do not want
> to loose the shortcut bar that came with 97.
>
> Thing is that I have been thinking about installing the 2007 version
> of Office that I have had but never installed yet for above reasons.
>
> Question is can I install the 2007 version over the 97 version and
> have it update the programs but keep the shortcut bar??
>
> I know there are probably other shortcut bars or whatever out there
> but as I asked I would rather keep the 97 one if possible.
>
> TIA

0
Earle
2/17/2010 5:45:27 AM
I do not want to run multiple versions.

I thought I explained what I want in the original post.

I want to upgrade from 97 to 2007 but keep the 97 shortcut bar but not
the 97 progs.

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:45:27 -0700, "Earle Horton"
<earleh@live.com.invalid> wrote:

>Microsoft has several Knowledge Base articles on running multiple versions
>of Office on the same computer.  For example:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091
>
>What you propose seems possible, but I haven't read all of the articles in
>their entirety.  There is a lot to read.
>
>Earle
>
>"kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message
>>

>> I have been running Office 97 pro on Windows XP because I do not want
>> to loose the shortcut bar that came with 97.
>>
>> Thing is that I have been thinking about installing the 2007 version
>> of Office that I have had but never installed yet for above reasons.
>>
>> Question is can I install the 2007 version over the 97 version and
>> have it update the programs but keep the shortcut bar??
>>
>> I know there are probably other shortcut bars or whatever out there
>> but as I asked I would rather keep the 97 one if possible.
>>
>> TIA

0
kraut
2/17/2010 3:53:11 PM
Keep it if you want, but without the programs that it points to, it will
be somewhat useless. Why not use the Quicklaunch bar or add a Toolbar
for the Office applications folder?

kraut wrote:

> I do not want to run multiple versions.
>
> I thought I explained what I want in the original post.
>
> I want to upgrade from 97 to 2007 but keep the 97 shortcut bar but not
> the 97 progs.
>

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:45:27 -0700, "Earle Horton"
> <earleh@live.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>Microsoft has several Knowledge Base articles on running multiple versions
>>of Office on the same computer.  For example:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091
>>
>>What you propose seems possible, but I haven't read all of the articles in
>>their entirety.  There is a lot to read.
>>
>>Earle
>>
>>"kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message
>>

>>>I have been running Office 97 pro on Windows XP because I do not want
>>>to loose the shortcut bar that came with 97.
>>>
>>>Thing is that I have been thinking about installing the 2007 version
>>>of Office that I have had but never installed yet for above reasons.
>>>
>>>Question is can I install the 2007 version over the 97 version and
>>>have it update the programs but keep the shortcut bar??
>>>
>>>I know there are probably other shortcut bars or whatever out there
>>>but as I asked I would rather keep the 97 one if possible.
>>>
>>>TIA

0
Bob
2/17/2010 4:22:50 PM
You do want to run multiple versions, the shortcut bar being part of 97.
For that reason you should read all the Knowledge Base articles, to see what
pitfalls await you.  Start by running 97 Setup in maintenance mode, custom
setup.  Remove the applications if this is possible.  It should be.  Then
install Office 2007 and see what that looks like.  Now you will probably
have to do something to make the shortcut bar point to the 2007
applications.  Don't forget to create a System Restore point before you
start.

Earle

Run 97 Setup in custom maintenance mode.  Remove all components except the
shortcut bar.  See if that works.

> I do not want to run multiple versions.
>
> I thought I explained what I want in the original post.
>
> I want to upgrade from 97 to 2007 but keep the 97 shortcut bar but not
> the 97 progs.
>

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:45:27 -0700, "Earle Horton"
> <earleh@live.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft has several Knowledge Base articles on running multiple versions
>>of Office on the same computer.  For example:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091
>>
>>What you propose seems possible, but I haven't read all of the articles in
>>their entirety.  There is a lot to read.
>>
>>Earle
>>
>>"kraut" <NewsGroupsPlease@NewsGroupsPlease.org> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I have been running Office 97 pro on Windows XP because I do not want
>>> to loose the shortcut bar that came with 97.
>>>
>>> Thing is that I have been thinking about installing the 2007 version
>>> of Office that I have had but never installed yet for above reasons.
>>>
>>> Question is can I install the 2007 version over the 97 version and
>>> have it update the programs but keep the shortcut bar??
>>>
>>> I know there are probably other shortcut bars or whatever out there
>>> but as I asked I would rather keep the 97 one if possible.
>>>
>>> TIA

0
Earle

Office apps close
The Office 2008 apps keep closing down by themselves! The app closes and then a message comes up asking if I want to Send my problem's information and if I want to Recover my work. What can I do to stop this? Is this because of my Office 2008 intallation or is it my Mac? Normally, it is caused by broken documents. If someone has been hacking and chopping in the documents, they can break the internal code so the application can't read them. Which format are you using? How were the documents created? Which OS are you using? Which processor? On 11/02/08 4:54 PM, in article ee8cf3c....

MS Office 97 to MS Office 2007

MS Outlook 2007

Office assistant error
Hi everyone, I only joined today so easy on me!!!!!! We have Outlook 2003 and Office 2000 SP3 intalled and receive the following error when Outlook is opened and then try to open any other applications, i'e word, excell "The office assistant could not be started. Please repair the assistant by running office 2000 setup and selecting repair office 2000". Running repair does not make the error message stop. The office assistant works in all applications the error message just keeps popping up. If I open word or excell on their own it's not a proble as soon as outlook 2003 is...

Brand New to OL 2007
Is there a way to subscribe to some of the conversations here using OL 2007? I have recently found these discussion pages and am reeling from all of the info, but do not want to go to the MS web site every time to look for something. I am new to the whole RSS, newsgroup thing, but learning every minute. You can subscribe, but it doesn't always notify you. Better is to use an NNTP client to read the groups. You can mark threads to watch or drag them to a mail folder (in OE) to review later. If a thread has an answer and you want to save it, create a folder in Outlook then copy a...

MS Exange connection

How do I do word count in MS Publisher?

Address Word Letter X for Office 2004?
I've been unable to get the Address Word Letter X script to work on my new version of Office 2004. The Prefs script won't recognize my stationery file (it's grayed out). Did the revisions for scripting in Office 2004 break the script? Is there a workaround? Thanks, Steven Hi Steven, What script is this? Did you check macscripter.net to see if a new version is out? If not, your best bet is probably to go back to the ReadMe on the script and see if you can email the script writer and ask them about it. Or you could try opening up the script looking for anything obviously ...

MS CRM Certification question

publisher 2007 printing
I preview a page, it looks great, but it won't print any of the borders around text boxes. Any ireas?? brian wrote: > I preview a page, it looks great, but it won't print any of the borders > around text boxes. Check the website of your printer manufacturer for an updated printer driver. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org "brian" wrote: > I preview a page, it looks great, but it won't print any of the borders > around text boxes. > Any ireas?? Brian, Right Click on the text box and choose edit text box. There are choice...

MS Money 2005 Basics

Can't open Pub 97 files
Last winter, I produced 3 calendars with many scanned photos (460 MB each file) on Publisher 97. When I try to open those files now, I get this window message from Publisher: "Publisher cannot open this file. This is not a Publisher file." But they ARE Publisher files. I did not save ALL of those photos elsewhere and I need access to the calendar files in order to use the photos in other projects. PLEASE HELP!!! Have you tried reinstalling Publisher? Does the extension on the files say .pub? I will try to open the files for you if you want to send them my way. Remove ...

Access 2003 >> Access 2007 (Run-time error 2467)
Hi. I'm trying out how our access 2003 applications work in access 2007. Unfortunately, lots of forms refuse to open. Where the error occures is Form_Current event, which contains something like std = "SELECT ....." Me.Subform_Name![Field Name].RowSource = std The program reports an error: "Run-time error '2467': The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist." Anyone has any ideas how to fix this? Technically, that shouldn't work in Access 2003 either, but it wasn't quite as sticky about the syntax. To refer t...

Copying an Entire Outlook Email in 2007 (Ctrl-F in Outlook 2003)
I recently upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007. When I created an email message in Office 2003, I could hit Ctrl-F and it would copy the entire email and create a duplicate of the original email. In Office 2007, when I hit Ctrl-F the find function opens. Is there any way to copy an existing email and create a duplicate but separate email in Office 2007? The alternative is to create a new email, copy the text in the original email and paste it all into the second email. This is much slower. Using a mail merge is not appropriate because I have to put a unique attached fi...

MS Access

Problems with Exchange Search in 2007
I'm having problems with Exchange Search in 2007. Accounts that I have migrated from 2003 servers are unable to use Exchange Search in OWA. They get the error message "Search results may take a long time to appear because Microsoft Exchange Search is unavailable. Results will not include matches in the e-mail body." Accounts that are created new with their mailboxes on 2007 servers do not have this problem. Test-ExchangeSearch returns False for migrated users, True for newly created ones. The search service is running and indexing is enabled for this database. I use...

Outlook's Out of office Assistant #2
When turning on Outlook's Out of office Assistant, Internally I get response from Out of office, however no response to the outside world. How do you allow resonses from senders outsde of you exchange system? The Exchange administrator needs to turn the option on via Exchange Administrator (Exchange 5.5) or Exchange System Manager (Exchange 2000/2003). If you are the Exchange administrator, can you post what version of Exchange? /neo ps - warning: enabling out of office notification to the internet can introduce mail loops. "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Out of office #3
I am enable to access the option of "out of office assistance" When I go on the HELP on OUTLOOK for this option...this is what it tells me: Automatically reply to incoming messages while out of the office On the Tools menu, click Out of Office Assistant. Click I am currently Out of the Office. In the AutoReply only once to each sender with the following text box, type the message you want to send to others while you are out. For information about how to use rules with the Out of Office Assistant, click Well when I go to my TOOLS on my outlook, the "Out of Office Ass...

Starting MS Outlook on startup
How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. > All you need to do is move the Outlook program icon to the startup group in XP. >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. >Double click My Computer, go into the C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup Place an Outlook shortcut into this folder and it will automatically startup when...

Restarting MS Money with a "correction" switch
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I currently use version 10 - 2002 Deluxe, and I need to startup MS Money = with a correction switch that I hope will correct some problems that I = have been having, but I can't seem to locate the post that talks about doing = this. Is it "msmoney.exe /s"? --=20 Russell (if replying, replace nospam with rpottharst) ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/html; c...

Alternative to Ms sql server 2005 express edition
Hello Everyone, Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running slow because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a free edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data. And our database which we are currently using is now having more than 4.5 GB. Hence they recommended us to go for a paid one that is specialized edition workgroup and gave us the following link http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx to go through the comparison. The hosting providers says that it will be around 4500 rupees per month for ...

Excel 2007 Level 100 question
Typing in an "=" sign with some letters and Excel suggests a few funtions or in my case some pre-named ranges. Yet when I arrow down to the name that I want and press "Enter" I get a #NAME? error so I need to use my mouse to double-click on that function in order to select it. Any way to select a named range after entering an equal sign without using my mouse? Thanks. 8^> hi WSR You can use the Tab key -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "WSR" <wsr-203@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uKATlCkCKHA.4792@TK2MSFTNGP...