MS Office 2003 file structure

I have had progressive versions of Office for many years, since Windows 95
time.  I have purchased upgrades to my current Office 2003 suite and am now
considering purchasing Office 2007 (or wait for Office 2010?).

Over the years I seem to have acquired a confusing file structure with both
MS Office and MS Office 2003 folders under Program Files, each containing
similar subfolders but with the MS Office folder containing additional
subfolders - Office and Office12 folders in addition to the common Media,
Office11 and Templates folders.  These folders have almost certainly been
copied across when I migrated from one machine to another over the years.

I would very much like to clean up the file structure such that the system
contains only the folders and files which are actually currently in use.
Please advise the correct Program Files substructures for MS Office.

Well Office 12 is office 2007 and Office 11 is 2003 yet you say you are
considering upgrading to Offfice 2007
So where did the Office 12 folder come from? - maybe a trial that you failed
to remove properly?

Any folders will only have been migrated from other PC's if you cloned the
origonal disk
And what upgrades to 2003 do you refer to?
By default since office 2002/xp the default installation of office creates a
Microsoft Office Folder with various sub Folders, one of which is specific
to the office version, eg Office 11 for 2003, so unless you did a custom
installation there would'nt be an MS Office 2003 folder

"Rattlingroger" <Rattlingroger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had progressive versions of Office for many years, since Windows 95
> time.  I have purchased upgrades to my current Office 2003 suite and am
> now
> considering purchasing Office 2007 (or wait for Office 2010?).
>
> Over the years I seem to have acquired a confusing file structure with
> both
> MS Office and MS Office 2003 folders under Program Files, each containing
> similar subfolders but with the MS Office folder containing additional
> subfolders - Office and Office12 folders in addition to the common Media,
> Office11 and Templates folders.  These folders have almost certainly been
> copied across when I migrated from one machine to another over the years.
>
> I would very much like to clean up the file structure such that the system
> contains only the folders and files which are actually currently in use.
> Please advise the correct Program Files substructures for MS Office.

0
DL
12/20/2009 11:25:44 PM
You have probably answered my question, many thanks.  No doubt the Office12
folders have come from a trial version of Office 2007 which was supplied with
this new pc.  I ran the uninstall program to remove it as I was anticipating
Office 2010 release in due course.  Presumably the uninstall did not operate
completely.

Presumably if I delete the 'Microsoft Office' directory which includes
Office12 I should be left with the files needed for Office 2003.  No doubt
the names including the words '2003' are as the result of a Custom
installation at some point.  Hopefully, if I delete the files above I can
restore them from the Recycle Bin if anything untoward occurs?

"DL" wrote:

> Well Office 12 is office 2007 and Office 11 is 2003 yet you say you are
> considering upgrading to Offfice 2007
> So where did the Office 12 folder come from? - maybe a trial that you failed
> to remove properly?
>
> Any folders will only have been migrated from other PC's if you cloned the
> origonal disk
> And what upgrades to 2003 do you refer to?
> By default since office 2002/xp the default installation of office creates a
> Microsoft Office Folder with various sub Folders, one of which is specific
> to the office version, eg Office 11 for 2003, so unless you did a custom
> installation there would'nt be an MS Office 2003 folder
>
> "Rattlingroger" <Rattlingroger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have had progressive versions of Office for many years, since Windows 95
> > time.  I have purchased upgrades to my current Office 2003 suite and am
> > now
> > considering purchasing Office 2007 (or wait for Office 2010?).
> >
> > Over the years I seem to have acquired a confusing file structure with
> > both
> > MS Office and MS Office 2003 folders under Program Files, each containing
> > similar subfolders but with the MS Office folder containing additional
> > subfolders - Office and Office12 folders in addition to the common Media,
> > Office11 and Templates folders.  These folders have almost certainly been
> > copied across when I migrated from one machine to another over the years.
> >
> > I would very much like to clean up the file structure such that the system
> > contains only the folders and files which are actually currently in use.
> > Please advise the correct Program Files substructures for MS Office.
>

> .

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us

I wouldnt mess with any Microsoft Office 2003 folder or any Office 11 folder
unless after you follow the KB article, also uninstall Office 2003, to then
reinstall after a reboot.
Simply deleting apparant Office 2003 folders will leave entries in the
registry.
Its also odd that you have a Microsoft Office 2003 folder, if you had custom
installed to that location I would have expected a Office 11 subfolder to
have existed, off *that main folder*
You may well find after following the KB article you will need to reinstall
/ repair 2003

> You have probably answered my question, many thanks.  No doubt the
> Office12
> folders have come from a trial version of Office 2007 which was supplied
> with
> this new pc.  I ran the uninstall program to remove it as I was
> anticipating
> Office 2010 release in due course.  Presumably the uninstall did not
> operate
> completely.
>
> Presumably if I delete the 'Microsoft Office' directory which includes
> Office12 I should be left with the files needed for Office 2003.  No doubt
> the names including the words '2003' are as the result of a Custom
> installation at some point.  Hopefully, if I delete the files above I can
> restore them from the Recycle Bin if anything untoward occurs?
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> Well Office 12 is office 2007 and Office 11 is 2003 yet you say you are
>> considering upgrading to Offfice 2007
>> So where did the Office 12 folder come from? - maybe a trial that you
>> failed
>> to remove properly?
>>
>> Any folders will only have been migrated from other PC's if you cloned
>> the
>> origonal disk
>> And what upgrades to 2003 do you refer to?
>> By default since office 2002/xp the default installation of office
>> creates a
>> Microsoft Office Folder with various sub Folders, one of which is
>> specific
>> to the office version, eg Office 11 for 2003, so unless you did a custom
>> installation there would'nt be an MS Office 2003 folder
>>
>> "Rattlingroger" <Rattlingroger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have had progressive versions of Office for many years, since Windows
>> >95
>> > time.  I have purchased upgrades to my current Office 2003 suite and am
>> > now
>> > considering purchasing Office 2007 (or wait for Office 2010?).
>> >
>> > Over the years I seem to have acquired a confusing file structure with
>> > both
>> > MS Office and MS Office 2003 folders under Program Files, each
>> > containing
>> > similar subfolders but with the MS Office folder containing additional
>> > subfolders - Office and Office12 folders in addition to the common
>> > Media,
>> > Office11 and Templates folders.  These folders have almost certainly
>> > been
>> > copied across when I migrated from one machine to another over the
>> > years.
>> >
>> > I would very much like to clean up the file structure such that the
>> > system
>> > contains only the folders and files which are actually currently in
>> > use.
>> > Please advise the correct Program Files substructures for MS Office.
>>

>> .

0
DL
12/21/2009 2:14:05 PM
Now I think we are both confused!  It is the Office 2003 suite I want to
retain and to delete/fully uninstall 2007.  I shall follow the KB article
accordingly.  Many thanks.

"DL" wrote:

> I wouldnt mess with any Microsoft Office 2003 folder or any Office 11 folder
> unless after you follow the KB article, also uninstall Office 2003, to then
> reinstall after a reboot.
> Simply deleting apparant Office 2003 folders will leave entries in the
> registry.
> Its also odd that you have a Microsoft Office 2003 folder, if you had custom
> installed to that location I would have expected a Office 11 subfolder to
> have existed, off *that main folder*
> You may well find after following the KB article you will need to reinstall
> / repair 2003
>
> "Rattlingroger" <Rattlingroger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You have probably answered my question, many thanks.  No doubt the
> > Office12
> > folders have come from a trial version of Office 2007 which was supplied
> > with
> > this new pc.  I ran the uninstall program to remove it as I was
> > anticipating
> > Office 2010 release in due course.  Presumably the uninstall did not
> > operate
> > completely.
> >
> > Presumably if I delete the 'Microsoft Office' directory which includes
> > Office12 I should be left with the files needed for Office 2003.  No doubt
> > the names including the words '2003' are as the result of a Custom
> > installation at some point.  Hopefully, if I delete the files above I can
> > restore them from the Recycle Bin if anything untoward occurs?
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> >> Well Office 12 is office 2007 and Office 11 is 2003 yet you say you are
> >> considering upgrading to Offfice 2007
> >> So where did the Office 12 folder come from? - maybe a trial that you
> >> failed
> >> to remove properly?
> >>
> >> Any folders will only have been migrated from other PC's if you cloned
> >> the
> >> origonal disk
> >> And what upgrades to 2003 do you refer to?
> >> By default since office 2002/xp the default installation of office
> >> creates a
> >> Microsoft Office Folder with various sub Folders, one of which is
> >> specific
> >> to the office version, eg Office 11 for 2003, so unless you did a custom
> >> installation there would'nt be an MS Office 2003 folder
> >>
> >> "Rattlingroger" <Rattlingroger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

> >> .
> >>

> .

I was refering to the odd Office 2003 folder structure you have

> Now I think we are both confused!  It is the Office 2003 suite I want to
> retain and to delete/fully uninstall 2007.  I shall follow the KB article
> accordingly.  Many thanks.
>
> "DL" wrote:

>> I wouldnt mess with any Microsoft Office 2003 folder or any Office 11
>> folder
>> unless after you follow the KB article, also uninstall Office 2003, to
>> then
>> reinstall after a reboot.
>> Simply deleting apparant Office 2003 folders will leave entries in the
>> registry.
>> Its also odd that you have a Microsoft Office 2003 folder, if you had
>> custom
>> installed to that location I would have expected a Office 11 subfolder to
>> have existed, off *that main folder*
>> You may well find after following the KB article you will need to
>> reinstall
>> / repair 2003
>>
>> "Rattlingroger" <Rattlingroger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > You have probably answered my question, many thanks.  No doubt the
>> > Office12
>> > folders have come from a trial version of Office 2007 which was
>> > supplied
>> > with
>> > this new pc.  I ran the uninstall program to remove it as I was
>> > anticipating
>> > Office 2010 release in due course.  Presumably the uninstall did not
>> > operate
>> > completely.
>> >
>> > Presumably if I delete the 'Microsoft Office' directory which includes
>> > Office12 I should be left with the files needed for Office 2003.  No
>> > doubt
>> > the names including the words '2003' are as the result of a Custom
>> > installation at some point.  Hopefully, if I delete the files above I
>> > can
>> > restore them from the Recycle Bin if anything untoward occurs?

>> .

0
DL
12/21/2009 8:34:03 PM

Rattlingroger wrote:

>Now I think we are both confused!  It is the Office 2003 suite I want to
>retain and to delete/fully uninstall 2007.  I shall follow the KB article
>accordingly.  Many thanks.

DL is jobless and nobody wants to hire him because he is a stupid boy
and consequently knows nothing except to troll!!

0
ANONYMOUS
12/21/2009 8:42:33 PM
Let you out of college have they?

"ANONYMOUS" <ANONYMOUS@EXAMPLE.COM> wrote in message

> Rattlingroger wrote:
>
>>Now I think we are both confused!  It is the Office 2003 suite I want to
>>retain and to delete/fully uninstall 2007.  I shall follow the KB article
>>accordingly.  Many thanks.
>>

> DL is jobless and nobody wants to hire him because he is a stupid boy and
> consequently knows nothing except to troll!!

0
DL

Links in Outlook 2003 open Save As... dialog box
I'm not sure exactly when this started happening. Whenever I click a link in Outlook 2003 now, it opens the Save As... dialog box as well as the Website connected to the link. It doesn't matter what type of link it is; the dialog always shows up with the .exe file type selected. Any ideas? Does it oen the Save As dialog or does it open the Locate Link Browser dialog? In case of the last direct it to iexplore.exe -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "S...

Exchange 2003 Require a /3GB Switch with More Than 1 Gig RAM
Does Exchange 2003 require the /3GB Switch if you are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. I know for Exchange 2000 they said you needed the switch if you are running Advanced or Datacenter but not Server. Just wondering what they recommend for 2003. 291988 A Description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning Feature and the Physical Address http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291988 Thanks, Fitz Crittle This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup "Kevin&quo...

Office apps close
The Office 2008 apps keep closing down by themselves! The app closes and then a message comes up asking if I want to Send my problem's information and if I want to Recover my work. What can I do to stop this? Is this because of my Office 2008 intallation or is it my Mac? Normally, it is caused by broken documents. If someone has been hacking and chopping in the documents, they can break the internal code so the application can't read them. Which format are you using? How were the documents created? Which OS are you using? Which processor? On 11/02/08 4:54 PM, in article ee8cf3c....

migrate 5.5 mailbox to 2003
i'm trying to use migration wizard to migrte mailboxses fro 5.5(NT) to 2003 but i'm getting this error .Please if any one can help Failed to logon to the target mailbox with the address 'x500:/o=GOV/ou=EDUC/cn=Recipients/cn=test23'. Have you used ADC to replicate from 5.5 to 2003? "drabee" <drabee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E5DCA60-13B9-47BD-B153-D3E3C13E8A23@microsoft.com... > i'm trying to use migration wizard to migrte mailboxses fro 5.5(NT) to > 2003 > but i'm getting this error .Please if any one can help >...

corrupted file
Hi, I saved file on disk open in whare house pc, PC might had some dust in a drive . Now i can canot open again. Its pass word protected i tried in explorer take properties of a drive then tools then first option error checking CHECK NOW . Now i get to password window once i put password cannot open work book (it opens & close it self ) password is correct. please let me know thansk for help. Saqib You should not open (or attempt to open) a file from floppy. Copy to your hard drive and open from there. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Sa...

Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter Update: KB832333
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad3699f7-5cc3-4604-a768-32c4d044b630&DisplayLang=en Note: While the update is live, as of this moment the corresponding KB article isn't. Hopefully it'll have some technical detail, but I'm not counting on it. "Milhouse Van Houten" <btvs@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:ehCzlR6wDHA.2452@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad3699f7-5cc3-4604-a768-32c4d044b630&DisplayLang=en > > Note: While the update is live, as of this moment the correspon...

MS Office 97 to MS Office 2007

Moving Files To New Hard Drive
I just upgraded the hard drive in my girlfriends computer. It had 80GB and I added an additional 250GB drive. The OS is XP Home 2002. How do I go about moving _*everything*_ to the larger hard drive? "ampig" wrote: > > I just upgraded the hard drive in my girlfriends computer. It had 80GB > and I added an additional 250GB drive. The OS is XP Home 2002. How do I > go about moving _*everything*_ to the larger hard drive? > > Use the cloning software that came with the new disk to clone the old disk to the new. Everything is copied to the n...

MS Outlook 2007

Office assistant error
Hi everyone, I only joined today so easy on me!!!!!! We have Outlook 2003 and Office 2000 SP3 intalled and receive the following error when Outlook is opened and then try to open any other applications, i'e word, excell "The office assistant could not be started. Please repair the assistant by running office 2000 setup and selecting repair office 2000". Running repair does not make the error message stop. The office assistant works in all applications the error message just keeps popping up. If I open word or excell on their own it's not a proble as soon as outlook 2003 is...

MS Exange connection

Is there a way to extract files from the Off line files cache
I have a laptop that used to be a member of a SBS 2003 domain and was utilizing folder redirection of My Documents. The laptop was never reconfigured to remove it from the domain and the user continued to use the domain login. Since that time (about a year ago), the computer and user were removed from the SBS domain. So far so good, the user on the laptop was happy.. Today, the laptop was worked on and was removed from the domain. Now, the question is, where are the files that used to be in My documents? I beleive they are cached in the Offline files folder (C:\wind...

How do I do word count in MS Publisher?

Tmp Pst file
I have 2000 server and 2000 workstation.All users have roaming profile on this server, and personal folder at outlook pst saved at c:\documents and settings\username\application\microsoft\outlook\usrname.pst and profiles in a directory on server \profiles. In one certain user in this folder c:\documents and settings\username\application\microsoft\outlook\usrname.pst for some reason many temp pst files are create , prf.tmp and have the same size with the original pst files. Could you tell me what possible create these tmp files or a way to find out how they are creating thank you ...

Address Word Letter X for Office 2004?
I've been unable to get the Address Word Letter X script to work on my new version of Office 2004. The Prefs script won't recognize my stationery file (it's grayed out). Did the revisions for scripting in Office 2004 break the script? Is there a workaround? Thanks, Steven Hi Steven, What script is this? Did you check macscripter.net to see if a new version is out? If not, your best bet is probably to go back to the ReadMe on the script and see if you can email the script writer and ask them about it. Or you could try opening up the script looking for anything obviously ...

auto file path update when excel sheet moved to another directory.
Hello, I've been working on a huge excel file for a while and I'm trying to make it easier to use. My problem is that when it is moved from the template folder to a working folder the formulas referencing a file in the template folder have their path changed in the formula and have to have the links updated. Since the file is protected it's impossible for the users to chance the source. It's wierd because it will still pull information, but if information is changed in the external data file the updated doesn't get ported over. I need some like the $ command to ...

MS Money 2005 Basics

SBS 2003 and Outlook 2003 requesting data, freeze
I have two separate clients that are running the new SBS 2003 with XP workstations running Outlook 2003. Both randomly receive the messages: Outlook is requesting data from the server Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Server Client 1 Running 2 servers that each has a Dual GHz Xeon w/hyperthreading on with 4 gigs of ram. One server is running the SBS 2k3 and the other server is running a Win 2k3 as a terminal server. They are connected on a 1Gig backplane. 10 users total. Client 2 Running 2 servers. One server has a 2.GHz P4 w/hyperthreading on running SBS ...

Outlook 2003 / Exchange 5.5 Prompting Password
Our user and computer accounts are in an AD domain and our Exchange 5.5 Servers are in an NT domain with a two way trust to the AD user domain. Intermittently, Outlook 2003 will prompt for a username and password for the mailbox as though the trust is lost, though users are still able to access file servers in the NT domain which proves that the trust is OK. I have used AD Domains and Trusts to validate that the trust is fine both ways. Most of the time, Outlook 2003 opens fine, but when the prompts start appearing, it seems I need to restart the netlogon service on the AD domain contro...

can I make a empty priv1.edb database in Ech 2003 ??
need help new can I make a empty priv1.edb database in Ech 2003 ?? THANKS Sure you "can", but the question is why? If you want to create a new empty database, then you would dismount the Mailbox store, then delete, move or rename the existing files. Next, simply re-mount the Mailbox store and you will be presented with a message box indicating that new blank databases will be created and do you want to proceed. That's really all there is to it. If you have any mail in the old databases, I'd seriously recommend that you either rename or move them instead of dele...

MS CRM Certification question

Copying an Entire Outlook Email in 2007 (Ctrl-F in Outlook 2003)
I recently upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007. When I created an email message in Office 2003, I could hit Ctrl-F and it would copy the entire email and create a duplicate of the original email. In Office 2007, when I hit Ctrl-F the find function opens. Is there any way to copy an existing email and create a duplicate but separate email in Office 2007? The alternative is to create a new email, copy the text in the original email and paste it all into the second email. This is much slower. Using a mail merge is not appropriate because I have to put a unique attached fi...