hidden tif files

I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't
see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons.  I can only tell the files are
there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during
the 'save as' step.  How do I see the icons/files?  I have already done the
"show hidden files" step.

Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file
types."

--
Mary Sauer MVP
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't
> see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons.  I can only tell the files are
> there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during
> the 'save as' step.  How do I see the icons/files?  I have already done the
> "show hidden files" step.

0
Mary
4/17/2010 7:07:13 PM
Followed that path - it's already unchecked.  But thanks, I'll keep trying.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file
> types."
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MVP
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't
> > see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons.  I can only tell the files are
> > there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during
> > the 'save as' step.  How do I see the icons/files?  I have already done the
> > "show hidden files" step.
>

> .

Have you checked your file associations? Right-click a .tif, opens with...
change.

--

> Followed that path - it's already unchecked.  But thanks, I'll keep trying.
>
> "Mary Sauer" wrote:
>
>> Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known
>> file
>> types."
>>
>> --
>> Mary Sauer MVP
>> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>>
>> "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't
>> > see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons.  I can only tell the files are
>> > there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears
>> > during
>> > the 'save as' step.  How do I see the icons/files?  I have already done the
>> > "show hidden files" step.
>>

>> .

0
Mary
4/17/2010 10:03:40 PM
yes - have been playing around - I have older .tif and .mdi files and I can
open them; but any new .tif file I create, the only time I can see it is
during the 'save as' step of creating another.  A file search won't find
them, nothing else will, at least not that I've found yet.

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> Have you checked your file associations? Right-click a .tif, opens with...
> change.
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MVP
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
>
> "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Followed that path - it's already unchecked.  But thanks, I'll keep trying.
> >
> > "Mary Sauer" wrote:
> >
> >> Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known
> >> file
> >> types."
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mary Sauer MVP
> >> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> >>
> >> "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> .
> >>

> .

Cannot Open Any Publisher Files
Don't know what happened but I can no longer open any .pub files regardless of which version created them. Currently I am using Pub 2003 SP2. It is unlikely I have anything older than version 2000. Files saved on network share or local drive will not open. The message is, Publisher cannot open the file. I created a test file and saved it to the local drive and I cannot open that one either. If I save in .rtf format I can open the file, but that loses graphics. I ran the Office repair successfully. I have applied all latest updates.Word and Excel do not seem to be affected. The O/S is X...

How do I print the read-only status of Excel file?
We need to print out that an Excel file is read-only for our SOX testing. We have printed the message using Hypersnap but would like a solution within Excel. ...

Hidden tabs on my worksheet
I can't figure out how my settings changed or how to change them back. When i go to Tools: Options: View: Tabs - it is checked. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get my tabs to show? Have even tried changing the color of them... Thanks! hi have you tried.. on the menu bar>window>unhide Regards FSt1 "Courtney" wrote: > I can't figure out how my settings changed or how to change them back. When i > go to Tools: Options: View: Tabs - it is checked. Anyone have any other ideas > on how to get my tabs to show? Have even tried changing ...

404
I get this error when trying to access OWA from outside my network. Internally works fine. The only change I've made was to rename the default link provided by the instalaltion to a diferent one and of course modified the DNS records. I'm using SBS2008. Thank you This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_005F_01CB4064.20B2B100 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable what are you using for the URL? --=20 Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997) Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business ...

Recovering an overwritten file
How can I recover an old version of an excel file that I have saved over? Karen, Unless you have a backup...you can't. John "Karen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A196B312-6385-4C20-AFC4-9459A736846E@microsoft.com... > How can I recover an old version of an excel file that I have saved over? How do you know you actually saved over the old file. The only way you can be sure of that would be if you are using a floppy. Never read or write directly to a floppy from Excel. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm If the file wa...

Attach file to draft message
Hello, I just switched from OE6 to Outlook 2007. In OE6 one could attach a file to a draft message. I do not see that option in Outlook. It appears one can only attach a file to a NEW message. Can someone tell me how I might attach a file to a draft message? Bob To Outlook, all unsent messages work the same, whether they are drafts = or completely new messages (or replies or forwards). The Attach File = command should be available in the Include group on the Message tab of = the ribbon, as well as on the Insert tab. =20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Micro...

Maximum File Size #2
What is the maximum recommended file size for an Excel workbook? Hi see: http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:EC7732CE-8678-426A-8400-0836D87D80D8@microsoft.com... > What is the maximum recommended file size for an Excel workbook? ...

can not save office2000 files with new name over network
My pc is running Win XP. In MS Word and MS Excel (office 2000) I can open files over network from win98 machines. I can also make changes and save. However, if I try to save with a new name I get the message: The folder (filename with network address) isn't accessible. The folder may be located on an unavailable volume or protected with a password. I have downloaded all service packs. I can find the file using windows explorer and rename it over the network. The problem only seems to occur from my XPpro PC using the MS office programs - pretty inconvenient through! Anyone help? If ...

location of backup file
We can specify to take backup in save As, tools, general option, always create back. How can we specify it location where to save this file. Hi AFAIK you can't with this option -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Vikas" <Vikas@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BF75AE6A-C10F-49E2-BBB4-4A5EF3E87657@microsoft.com... > We can specify to take backup in save As, tools, general option, always > create back. How can we specify it location where to save this file. ...

Report Writer output file for BACS
Need output file for NAT WEST / RBS Bankline. Any advise on "payment amount" formatting. Result needs to be 12n.2n Every else OK. Using (RW_Padzero - currency_string 12 2 2 ). Can't quite get formattting right. Any help appreciated. ...

Hidden desktop icons for saved word docs
Saving word docs to desktop results in hidden icons in Word 2007. How to get word doc icons to show? Whenever you work in a Word document, hidden temporary files are created in the working folder. The desktop is simply a folder. You can choose to display (or not) hidden files from the file explorer of your operating system. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<>...

Why did my Excel file suddenly balloon in size?
I have an Excel file we use as an office schedule. It's essentially a calendar with a tab for each month. When I updated the worksheet for 2006 the file size shot from 246K to 6.25M. Does anone have an idea why? Thanks!! Is the file shared? Joe "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11C4EF65-C5A8-4C8D-A1BA-AE5FB5F5C1AF@microsoft.com... >I have an Excel file we use as an office schedule. It's essentially a > calendar with a tab for each month. When I updated the worksheet for 2006 > the file size shot from 246K to 6.25M. Does...

Can't Open Excel File
I have a very large excel file (63mb) that I can't open. Everytime I try it thinks for a while and then spits out the error "Not Enough Memory." Now the file is ugly, using many external links, vlookups, etc. One sheet is about 8000 rows by 40 columns with many of those columns being fairly complex formulas involving a dozen other columns. Now I know what you're thinking, what the heck is he using Excel for something this complicated? But it's grown beyond what I expected it to be and I don't have time (right now) to move it into any other program. That aside, m...

Spreadsheet files missing .xls extension
A client called saying that some Excel files had disappeared, but when I did a search for specific names they were found - without the .xls extension. They have no idea how they got renamed. Once they were renamed with the ..xls, they worked fine, but I'm baffled by how they could have lost their extensions. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Cathy Your client may went gone into My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View and checked "Hide extensions for known file types". -- Jim "Cathy C" <cchristian@aristotle.net> wrote in message news:34EF53EA-D790-401D-86B...

Grabbing 1st file in a directory
I am trying to "peak" (too bad that command is gone in VB.NET) into a directory with 20000+ files and "grab" the first file, move it to a new location, and continue the program operation. I am using VB.NET 2008 and have the following code snippet Public inputFiles(1) As String Public firstFile As String inputFiles = Directory.GetFiles(inputDir) firstFile = inputFiles(0) --This works but takes a few seconds (time is very important) which is unacceptable. I thought the following would work Dim di As New IO.DirectoryInfo(inputDir) Dim firstFu...

Get the file path from Textbox
hello i want to get the path of file from textbox and then attach it to already opened window(it would be a Plugin)i am unable to get is it possible i give file path in Textbox and on clicking a button on form say "Attach it",it attacch file on mail window? thanks -adnan -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com ...

Probem
Hai Friends I have a problem in opening Excel files through shortcut. In order to open - i should open it through -- > open - Standard tool bar in excel work book.I had managed with this for last three days. But this has agravated - when i want to link values from one excel file to another excel file as it is not recognising the another opend file. Even inorder to move whole work sheet - after right click at sheet name - sub menu - Move or copy( sub menu) fails to show already opened book (in to book tab). Please help .. Thanks Hari.B - Sometimes one of these works when you'...

wrong "default file location" after installing Office-addin
Hi all I need some help for the following problem In Excel the "default file location" is set to an unc path Saving and Opening of files works fine until I install my own Office-addin which is automatically started when Excel is started. If I then try to open a file the folder containing the addin is offered instead of the unc path. However the "default file location" points still to the unc path If the "default file location" in Excel contains a drive letter, all works fine The same Office-addin can also be used in Word and Powerpoint. This also works fine (eve...

Cannot send .zip files via Outlook
For some reason my Outlook 2002 will not allow me to attach .zip files. I can send any other type of file such as .jpg, .gif, .html. or whatever. I have checked the zone setting and it is set at internet. I know I used to be able to send .zip files and I haven't changed anything so far as settings. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks Robin "Robin" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message news:aPCdndeCLr2SlTPenZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@comcast.com... > For some reason my Outlook 2002 will not allow me to attach .zip files. I > can send any other type of file s...

Excel2000-File size is increasing without changes!!
This morning, my excel file was 1.5M. Right now, it is at 32M. Seems to increase every time I save. What have I done? Joe Joe Excel over-estimates the size of the "used range" quite often. On one of your sheets hit CRTL + END to see where you end up. Could be far below and to the right of where your actual data range is. For corrections and resetting see Debra Dalgleish's site for manual and coded resetting instructions. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:36:29 -0500, "lunker55" <joec@shipwaystairs.com> wrote: >...

Import multiple files to CRM
I'm new to CRM. Our company attaches many files to the notes section on each account (e.g., signed, scanned business plans, incentive amendments, etc.). My question: is there either 1) a way to drag and drop the attachment to the account notes section easily or 2) another way to more quickly add the attachments to the account, other than opening each account's notes and adding the file? Thanks, Cindy No these are the only ways this can be done using out of the box features. Hi Cindy, CRM's standard document management features are pretty poor - it's not really design...

I need the "Program Action" used to open EML files in OE...
The new SpamKiller doesn't work quite right many times and it saves "Blocked" EML files on my hard drive but doesn't always "Rescue" them properly. So, when I click on the EML file it opens in Outlook Express. To fix that I changed the "Application used to perform action" under Explorer | Tools | File Types | EML to point to Outlook instead of Outlook Express. Of course, I found out that doesn't work. So I changed it back to what I thought it was but apparently I was wrong and now clicking on an EML file opens Outlook Express but doesn't open th...

Excel 2007 file locked by 'another user' on windows 2008 share
I'm sharing Excel and word 2007 files on a SBS2008 server. Alle computers are windows XP with Office 2007 installed. When the users open an excel document they sometimes get File is locked by 'another user'. Disabled & removed antivirus software on server & client but that didn't resolve the issue. When i move the excel file to a Windows Server 2003 share and let the users open the file there they also get the message File is locked by 'username'. But now it mentions the username and not 'by another user', so i guess it has something todo...

Takes too long to open file with xla extension
File with xla extension takes too long to open. Any idea why and how to fix this problem? Thanks! That XLA extension means it is an Add-in file. ALL add-ins or just one particular add-in? Which add-in would it be? An Excel default add-in or a third-party? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:14:00 -0700, boba <boba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >File with xla extension takes too long to open. Any idea why and how to fix >this problem? > >Thanks! It is a file a user is trying to export from Visual Basic to excel. When it is exported...user gets ...

Insert File Source Path in Workbook
In excel 2000 are you able to insert the files path on at the base of the workbook as say a footer? Not just the filename - the whole path eg: h:\mydocuments\excel\book1.xls Hi Carl, Not part of Excel 2000, though it was added in Excel 2002. For versions prior to Excel 2002 you need a macro. An example of a macro for Excel 2000 can be seen in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm look for "Workbook_BeforePrint" within a box. === HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ex...