Error 1913 for win.ini when installing Outlook 2007 on Vista computer

Hi,  I wanted to install a new clean copy of both Office 2007 Home &
Student edition + Outlook 2007 on a Vista machine. Bought new full CDs
for both. I previously had trial copy of Office 2007 which expired and I
uninstalled it as the first step.

I have managed to get a clean installation of Office 2007 but have been
struggling for the last few days with the Outlook 2007 install.

I get the "Error 1913 - set up cannot update file C:\Windows\Win.ini.
Verify that the file exists and you have sufficient permissions to
update the file".

My pc is running Vista and I am logged in throughout as administrator
with full rights.

Steps I have done so far:
1. Using add \ remove programs (programs and features in vista);
removed activation assistant and ensured all its directories cleaned up
through explorer
2. Removed Microsoft Office 2007 Standard Trial version using
Add\Remove programs
3. Created a system restore point
5. Backed up registry using export
6. Deleted the stray registry entries for Microsoft Office Assistant
and Microsoft Office 2007 (Office 12) - did not change other Microsoft
programs like .NET services etc registry settings
7. Installed Office 2007 H&S and activated full copy.
8. Confirmed Office 2007 programs worked fine.

9. Tried installing Outlook 2007 - bought separately as not included in
H&S.
10. Setup goes through roughly 20% of process before I get the message
"Error 1913 - set up cannot update file C:\Windows\Win.ini. Verify that
the file exists and you have sufficient permissions to update the
file"!!

Troubleshooting I have tried based on internet searches are:
a. Turned user access control setting OFF and rebooted
b. confirmed there IS a Win.ini in C:\Windows - have ensured it is the
only copy. The read only attribute for win.ini is NOT set.
c. Renamed Win.ini to Win.old, rebooted and tried setup - same Error
1913 as before
d. Named it back to Win.ini, changed owner to admin \ myself instead of
system. ensured permissions were 'Full control' and everything was
checked. Ran setup again. Same error 1913 as before.
e. renamed old win.ini created a brand new one through command.com.
Still same error 1913!!

Cannot find any other pointers on tech forums for Outlook 2007 on vista
with Error 1913 for win.ini.

Is anyone able to assist with any suggestions as I have now run out of
ideas!! I do need access to Outlook urgently as I uninstalled the trial
version as well :-(

Any specific replies to my issue are highly appreciated, Many thanks.

--
rr70
rr70's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161937.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
rr70

I don't find anything about Vista, but here is a workaround that was
supplied for XP if you couldn't install the Hotfix.
____________________________
To work around this problem, perform both of the following tasks:
Set the permissions of the Everyone group for the shared folder to
Change. To set these permissions, follow these steps:
In Windows Explorer, right-click the shared folder, and then click
Properties.
On the Sharing tab, click Permissions.
With the Everyone group selected, click to select the Allow check box
for the Change permission.
Set the NTFS file system permissions for the shared folder to Modify. To
set these permissions, follow these steps:
In Windows Explorer, right-click the shared folder and then click
Properties.
On the Security tab, select the Everyone group, and then click to select
the Allow check box for the Modify permission.
____________________________________

rr70 wrote:
> Hi,  I wanted to install a new clean copy of both Office 2007 Home &
> Student edition + Outlook 2007 on a Vista machine. Bought new full CDs
> for both. I previously had trial copy of Office 2007 which expired and I
> uninstalled it as the first step.
>
> I have managed to get a clean installation of Office 2007 but have been
> struggling for the last few days with the Outlook 2007 install.
>
> I get the "Error 1913 - set up cannot update file C:\Windows\Win.ini.
> Verify that the file exists and you have sufficient permissions to
> update the file".
>
> My pc is running Vista and I am logged in throughout as administrator
> with full rights.
>
> Steps I have done so far:
> 1. Using add \ remove programs (programs and features in vista);
> removed activation assistant and ensured all its directories cleaned up
> through explorer
> 2. Removed Microsoft Office 2007 Standard Trial version using
> Add\Remove programs
> 3. Created a system restore point
> 5. Backed up registry using export
> 6. Deleted the stray registry entries for Microsoft Office Assistant
> and Microsoft Office 2007 (Office 12) - did not change other Microsoft
> programs like .NET services etc registry settings
> 7. Installed Office 2007 H&S and activated full copy.
> 8. Confirmed Office 2007 programs worked fine.
>
> 9. Tried installing Outlook 2007 - bought separately as not included in
> H&S.
> 10. Setup goes through roughly 20% of process before I get the message
> "Error 1913 - set up cannot update file C:\Windows\Win.ini. Verify that
> the file exists and you have sufficient permissions to update the
> file"!!
>
> Troubleshooting I have tried based on internet searches are:
> a. Turned user access control setting OFF and rebooted
> b. confirmed there IS a Win.ini in C:\Windows - have ensured it is the
> only copy. The read only attribute for win.ini is NOT set.
> c. Renamed Win.ini to Win.old, rebooted and tried setup - same Error
> 1913 as before
> d. Named it back to Win.ini, changed owner to admin \ myself instead of
> system. ensured permissions were 'Full control' and everything was
> checked. Ran setup again. Same error 1913 as before.
> e. renamed old win.ini created a brand new one through command.com.
> Still same error 1913!!
>
> Cannot find any other pointers on tech forums for Outlook 2007 on vista
> with Error 1913 for win.ini.
>
> Is anyone able to assist with any suggestions as I have now run out of
> ideas!! I do need access to Outlook urgently as I uninstalled the trial
> version as well :-(
>
> Any specific replies to my issue are highly appreciated, Many thanks.

0
Bob

Setup of Generic Out of office Message office 2003/2007
Hi, Out Communications department want's us to setup a standard out of office message for all mailboxes in the organisation. They want every user to have access to the generic Out of Office message. Is there a way I can create an Outlook template or something that I could give all users to put in their mailbox Out of Office area. thanks -- Kath ...

Excel Progrom Error

Outlook taskpad question
Does anyone know how to do the following: In the Calendar screen, when the taskpad is on the bottom right corner, how can I get taskpad to only list active tasks, NO completed tasks? Try using the "Active tasks for selected days" view. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:028701c3c5b8$84179c20$a601280a@phx.gbl, mike wrote: > Does anyone know how to do the following: In the Calendar > screen, when the taskpad is on the bottom righ...

Outlook 07 closes out
Open up Outlook 2007 to check email. Receive a message. Outlook has received an error. No other reason just that and closes. Running XP, even tried doing a different logon and it does the same thing. I do not want to reformat my pc uless I really need to. Have even unstalled and reinstalled. Same thing Are there any relevent entries in Event Viewer? "Ken" <kbishop53@woh.rr.com> wrote in message news:uTcAVBARIHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Open up Outlook 2007 to check email. Receive a message. Outlook has > received an error. No other reason just that and closes. R...

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

Outlook 2007 search issues
I have a customer with Windows Vista SP1/Office 2007 and the automatic search function does not work. You can still type into the search box at the top of the inbox, but you have to actually press the search button to look for a search term. Index service is functioning, but when you look at the Indexing Options function under the Control Panel, it states that the Index Service is not running. I looked under the Windows Components and Index Service is installed. I have also checked the hard drive and the drive is indexed. I am officially stumped. Any suggestions on where to go now...

Hidden Outlook reminders
My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000 (or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up window, but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore tend not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have pop-up reminders. In several threads, jmaxon wrote: "This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7 (Win7), not Outl...

error, chkdsk

How do I change double spacing to single in Outlook 2002?
When entering data in my contacts in Outlook 2002, all of a sudden the line spacing changes from single spacing to double. How do I fix that? ...

Outlook Express: emails printing too large
When I retrieve my emails they are easy to read. When I print the emails off the font is very large -- 14 pt or larger. What do I need to change to reduce the printable font to normal 10 pt size? ...

error 0x800CCC0F

Outlook 2003 Personal Folders
I just installed Outlook 2003 and I seem to have two Personal Folders in my folders list. But, they both point to the same place and have the same data when I click on them. How do I remove the duplicate? Jeff -- Jeff Grossman (jeff@stikman.com) R click the one that is not your default, then select Close from the context menu. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jeff Grossman" <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote in message news:im1jsvsn93v4to7kjlkctmqhjc25om151b@news.stikman.com... > I just installed Outlook 2003 and I seem to have two Personal Folders > in my folders list...

4.4.7 error

Outlook /pda sync fails when View changed
I accidently(!) removed the Subject field form my main OUtlook view. Since then, syncing with my ipaq pda fials (even after I have added the Subject field back to the view as was). Any ideas if this is a known problem, or what the fix may be? Thanks ...

vista publisher network places
i upgraded to Vista and am having trouble uploading to my website that has been up and running for years using xp and publisher 07. Now I keep getting an error message that "cannot find url or network connections. Vista does not have "network places". can anyone help me Prepare, publish, and maintain your Publisher Web site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx It is written for Pub 2007, but if you are using IE7 instead of IE6, then the directions for using Vista would apply for Pub 2003. FTP uploading has changed with the introduction of IE7. Pa...

Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2007
I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook 2003. Can that be done? Is Outlook 2007 backward compatable? No. Afraid you will need to uninstall OL 2007 and then install OL 2003 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Guy" <gdelaney@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote in message news:OTykI2Q$KHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook > 2003. Can...

Excel error codes translations

delete server...routing master error

Clicked a .prf. file and woosh
Help! I accidentally clicked on a file with a .prf extension (some utility that keeps it preferences stored in such a file). To my surprise this not only started Outlook but also triggered some Outlook installation dialog. When I clicked that away I ended up with a completely new and empty Outlook! At first I was flabberghasted, since ALL my mails, my calendar entries, contacts, etc. EVERYTHING seemed gone! When I just doublechecked I saw, that this thing apparently created a new Outlook1.pst file which seems to be used as the new default. It seems that my old file "Outlook.pst&q...

how to install .oft files (forms) on a Clustered Exchange?
Hi All I have Exchange 2000 cluster active/passive. How does I install Outlook forms (.oft) files on a Clustered Exchange? Thank you, Jack Black ...

Re: Money 2004