Big trouble matching with data on excel!

Hi, I'm required to present some info at my work, using two excel files. This
is the task:

File 1, has ID numbers in column A, and column B is blank.

File 2, has ID numbers in column C and column D has the date the person
joined the company

File 1 es a select grop of people (about 2500), whereas File 2 is the
general database (about 30thou)

They're asking me to match the data, in order to end up with the
coresponding date they joined the company in column B on File 1 (obtained
from column D on file 2), how to do it? taking in account that File 1 is
outdated and some people might not be in file 2.

I would really appreciate any help you might give me.

Gloria

How do I re-download Excel onto my computer (it crashed)?
My computer crashed and I lost everything on it. I need to re-install Excel. How do I do that? sueb262, you will need a CD with excel on it, do you have it from when you got the computer? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "sueb262" <sueb262@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11BF91E6-DB5E-419F-BBE0-8188E61B2FCD@microsoft.com... > My computer crashed and I lost everything on it. I need...

How do I open up an emailed .xls document without Excel?
I don't think I have Excel on my computer. I just know I want to open an ..xls file I was sent. I do have Microsoft Works. If a copy of Excel is required to open any .xls document, is it available for download online? Or must I go purchase a copy of it? Or is there another alternative? The cheaper the better. Thanks, Hi Edward Use the free Viewer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=EN -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

filter rows rather than columns in Excel 2003?
can this be done? I have 12 entries in a row...need the top 10 averaged, lowest 2 discarded. Lynne, I haven't found a filter row solution yet, but this may help to start with anyways. Select your data and choose to copy it, but instead of just pasting it, do a paste special and choose the checkbox at the bottom to "transpose". That will take your row format and change it to a column format that you can then use autofilter on. When you're done, you can do the same thing in reverse. Copy the data and Paste Special and transpose again. Hope this helps as at least a t...

Maintaining Text Box Font Setting (Excel) using VB
Hi, Everyone - I've run into this issue, and I can seem to figure it out. In my spreadsheet, I've included several text boxes at the bottom of the pages. The VB code I also have included is, when the pages are printed, alternately place a "P" in the text boxes. Then I formatted the text boxes to use WingDings II so that checkmarks SHOULD appear in the boxes. I've also included code that would (1) unprotect the sheet; (2) print the pages with the text boxes; and (3) reprotect the sheet. What keeps on happening is that, for some unknown reason (at least to me),...

Import utility for .csv/.xls data into RMS?
Hello: I have recently been tasked with administering the database of several systems at work including Microsft RMS. I see there is a native export feature in the admin utility to draw data out of the SQL DB, but no such Import feature. I have a csv of several hundred Customer's I would like to bulk import into RMS. Is this QS import utility able to do that? If so, where would you get it? thanks! Mark, If your company is on a Maintenance program you can login to the CustomerSource website and download it from there. And yes it can import your csv file. Rob "Mark" <...

Opening two separate instances of Excel
My users (who are accountants) use dual monitors and would like to open a different Excel file on each monitor for the purposes of reviewing changes between the two. I know that one method of doing this is by opening Excel twice with its shortcut, then highlighting one Excel window and opening an Excel file, then highlighting the other window and opening the other Excel file. Unfortunately, the software that my users use to organize the Excel files does not allow this to be done; it always opens every Excel file in the first Excel window no matter which instance is highlighted. We had a...

How do I link Excel chart axis scale settings to cells?
I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? Hi, You can not directly link the scales setting to cells. Tushar has an addin which help. http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html Cheers Andy strince wrote: > I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Please ignore...I found the answer in another post. "strince" wrote: > I want to link a chart's axis scale settings to cells. Is this possible? ...

Data labels in Chart
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C56114.8ED26340 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have a bar chart that shows projected and actual numbers for four = quarters. I'd like to label each pair of bars with the PERCENTAGE between the = projected and actual numbers for each quarter, rather than the actual = number each bar represents. Is there a way to do this based on a formula? (As opposed to creating = text boxes and insertng them?) Thanks so much. ------=_NextPart_000_000E...

Multiple rows of data on a single axis (charting)
I have several rows of data that are separated by several other rows (that I don't want to chart). Is there a way to chart several rows of data on one continuous axis? For example (see below) I want to chart Row 1, Row 3 and Row 5 on one axis that would show a trend of 25, 50, 75, 5, 10, 15, 1, 2, 3. I have tried separting the rows with comas, colons, &, "", + and can't get it to work. I don't want to copy and paste the data into a new format b/c that will take too much time. Any suggestions? Column A Column B Column C Row 1 25 ...

How do I grant access to allow a user to save an Excell file to t
Where can I find info on admin functions for Excell? What do you mean "admin functions"? That phrase doesn't apply to anything built in to Excel. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "TomK" <TomK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3757C74B-131F-46EB-98EC-182986D1645E@microsoft.com... > Where can I find info on admin functions for Excell? I am trying to save a file to the D: drive (cd) and I am getting an error message that I need an administrator to clear me for access to t...

Opening Excel Spreadsheet on a tab #2
When I say tab, I of course mean a sheet -- david.willis ------------------------------------------------------------------------ david.willis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14697 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=263201 One way: Put this in your ThisWorkbook code module: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets(1).Select End Sub If you're not familiar with macro, see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm In article <david.willis.1d3hhz@excelforum-nospam.com>, dav...

Open file Slow on Excel 2003
We have upgraded our Office 2000 to 2003 and after the upgrade the response time to open a file on the network or C drive is slow. Once you have click on down arrow next to the look in box it takes a few seconds to respond. All the patches have been loaded. We are running windows XP Any suggetions ...

Excel Not Talking To Outlook [Email Settings] #2
This is a follow up to an older thread on the same problem. Search groups.google.com for the same subject and you'll find the previous thread (which lacked an answer). I'm just posting here for posterity. When sending email from Excel and expecting to see your Outlook contacts box come up for you but instead you see a strange box letting you choose "shared contacts" or "this identity's contacts", the answer is that Internet Explorer is set up to use Outlook Express for email instead of Outlook. Open IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab. Chan...

Can Excel graph a line from an equation? y=3x+2
Can Excel do linear programming problems? I'm wondering if Excel can graph from an equation rather than data points and can it identify points of intersection? Hi, Have a look at Stephen Bullen's ChtFrmla example. http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/SBXLPage.asp#Charting To calculate intersection you will probably need to create all the points in cells in order to use formula, which sort of negates the need for the non cell based approach Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "GraphLady" <GraphLady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Printing Color-Coded Worksheet in Black & White Mode in Excel 2003
I work with farily complex Excel worksheets which require print outs as both hard copy and PDF. I normally keep the formatting as they are and select [Black and White] in [Page Setup] [Sheet], as this preserves the integrity of the financial model while printing out a clean copy for the enduser. However, this function basically converts everyting color-coded to black & white, including cell shading patterns; I normally accentuate certain important cells by shading them in black and using a white font color. While I want the output to be black & white, I do want to preserve this p...

Breaking out rows of data, sequentially, into headered columns
Merry Christmas everyone, I highly respect the great minds that solve the many Excel riddles that are posted on this newsgroup. I hope you are all having a great holiday. If anyone is so inclined or feels like solving one on their return, here is my issue... I have existing code below that is quite useful for its former purpose, but I wonder if it could be modified to suit a new application. It probably just needs a little tinkering, but who knows. 1) My raw data consists of sequential (already sorted) numbers in column A, running for unspecified (varying, that is) lengths of...

how do I insert multiple rows in excel after every row of data
I need to insert 23 rows after every row that is currently in my spreadsheet For i = Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1 Cells(i+1,"A").Resize(23,1).Entirerow.Insert Next -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "grantm5" <grantm5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40AB897A-4D38-46AF-934A-2451496EEEC5@microsoft.com... > I need to insert 23 rows after every row that is currently in my spreadsheet ...

Keeping data private per User in a multi user database
Hello. I have an Accounting Access DB that I intend at some point to split into front-end (tables, forms, reports) and back-end (data), then I hope to deploy on the web. I will eventually have around 30 distributed users (only about 5 concurrent) – each inputs the same type of financial data but does business independent of the others and so must NEVER see the data entered by the other users. To make future releases and bug fixes as simple as possible, I intend to have a single instance of the front-end that each of the Users will access. However, as each User must NEVER see...

Excel 2003 calculation set to manual after an update was run
Hi I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran about 2 weeks ago and since then any spreadsheets she worked on she needs to set the calculations from manual to automatic. When she does start a new spreadsheet calculations is set to automatic, but I need fix the problem with the previous spreadsheets. This setting is saved with the workbook. Just open each of the manual workbooks, set the mode to Automatic and save the workbook. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200735 "AntonZA2" wrote: > Hi > > I have an user which uses alot of formulas. Updates ran a...

Excel Test With Template Wizard
Hi, I�ve been asked to look at making past exam papers into online tests. I don�t know anything about programming, so the way I�ve done it is t use form controls in excel. I was thinking I could set it up as template with data tracking on the network so people could open a cop on their machine, then when they save it, it would feed back into database that could do the marking. I�m ok as far as designing the worksheet so it has option buttons etc for each question. My first problem is that, having created the worksheet, once it i protected, I can�t select any of the option buttons, even...

Unable to save excel worksheet to cd
Cannot save excel worksheet to cdrw. Error message says file is read only. "Deborah Short" <dshort@gcnetmail.net> wrote in message news:065101c35a8a$61ec03f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Cannot save excel worksheet to cdrw. Error message says > file is read only. Save to HD, then copy to CDRW. ...

Excel 2007 startup
How do I start excel 07 with no blank workbook opening? On previous versions one could start the excel program without opening the blank default workbook, but, I can not find how to shut this off in 2007? "RPB" <RPB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:189FFE77-92D4-4276-BE0E-82A85B0BA1EC@microsoft.com... > How do I start excel 07 with no blank workbook opening? On previous > versions > one could start the excel program without opening the blank default > workbook, > but, I can not find how to shut this off in 2007? Well I've been using Ex...

paste special picture from Excel 2007 to Publisher 2007 doesn't work
I have a group of charts with text in surrounding cells that I want to copy and paste special picture enhanced metafile from Excel into Publisher. I have around 200 groups of these charts to paste into the Publisher file. What happens now is that the paste special command only reveals three options: new table, new text box, and HTML. When I copy paste special into Word the picture enhanced metafile is accessible and the image pastes fine. In Publisher pasting results in worksheet cells and the charts all in pieces and messy. I could copy the Word image into Publisher, but UGH!!200 TIMES. There...

Dates in Excel #8
Why does Excel assume that when you type December 2004 that you want the numeric equivalent and not a text entry? Is this just another illustration of Microsoft knowing what we need before we know it? Thanks I don't know why MS assumes this but you can precede the entry with an apostrophe and it will be text -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "FJB" <FJB0623@aol.com> wrote in message news:1109089977.316088.311020@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Why does Excel assume that when you type December 2004 that you want > the numeric equivalent and not a text entry? Is this jus...

Excel Chart Lines
I had 2003 and recenlty upgraded to 2007. I have a chart that the lines on the Y axis are all scrunched together to practicly make 1 bar instead of the 4 that should be see. I think it's possibly formatting... EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Using the Intercepting Filter Pattern to create a Generic Reusable Processing Pipeline http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ce017b7f-19e5-4586-b227-c7f21cbe1b3c/using-the-intercepting-fi.aspx ...