Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use

What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals
you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE?

I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent
document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of
Access......Only used PowerPoint once.......

I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have
some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see
now).

I have created several Excel projects with Macros but I haven't really
worked so much with the other parts of Office as much so that's why I ask
this question.......

This site is GREAT and there are a lot of answers on here.

Thanks For ALL the help I've got from members & found on here.

Happy New Year & Best Wishes

John

"Best" ma uals is a tough call. It depends on what you want to do. I have
several Missing Manual books, some Dummies books, and assorted other books.
My most recent purchases were the Study Guide of the MCAS test and Excel
2007 Dashboards & Reports for Dummies. I look thru the book before
purchasing it and see if it fits my need.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Originalgoth" <Originalgoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction
> manuals
> you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE?
>
> I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a
> decent
> document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge
> of
> Access......Only used PowerPoint once.......
>
> I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I
> have
> some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see
> now).
>
> I have created several Excel projects with Macros but I haven't really
> worked so much with the other parts of Office as much so that's why I ask
> this question.......
>
> This site is GREAT and there are a lot of answers on here.
>
> Thanks For ALL the help I've got from members & found on here.
>
> Happy New Year & Best Wishes
>
> John

0
JoAnn
12/29/2009 7:42:11 PM
Thanks JoAnn,
That is useful advice & if anyone else has any other ideas they'd be
appreciated.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

> "Best" ma uals is a tough call. It depends on what you want to do. I have
> several Missing Manual books, some Dummies books, and assorted other books.
> My most recent purchases were the Study Guide of the MCAS test and Excel
> 2007 Dashboards & Reports for Dummies. I look thru the book before
> purchasing it and see if it fits my need.
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Originalgoth" <Originalgoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction
> > manuals
> > you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE?
> >
> > I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a
> > decent
> > document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge
> > of
> > Access......Only used PowerPoint once.......
> >
> > I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I
> > have
> > some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see
> > now).
> >
> > I have created several Excel projects with Macros but I haven't really
> > worked so much with the other parts of Office as much so that's why I ask
> > this question.......
> >
> > This site is GREAT and there are a lot of answers on here.
> >
> > Thanks For ALL the help I've got from members & found on here.
> >
> > Happy New Year & Best Wishes
> >
> > John
> >

> .

FWIW, oreilly.com has a deal right now for 40% off of Microsoft Press books.
I saved a chunk on my MCAS study guide plus got free shipping. I had my book
within about 5 days.

--

> Thanks JoAnn,
> That is useful advice & if anyone else has any other ideas they'd be
> appreciated.
>

> "JoAnn Paules" wrote:
>
>> "Best" ma uals is a tough call. It depends on what you want to do. I have
>> several Missing Manual books, some Dummies books, and assorted other
>> books.
>> My most recent purchases were the Study Guide of the MCAS test and Excel
>> 2007 Dashboards & Reports for Dummies. I look thru the book before
>> purchasing it and see if it fits my need.
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Originalgoth" <Originalgoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction
>> > manuals
>> > you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also
>> > VBE?
>> >
>> > I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a
>> > decent
>> > document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough
>> > knowledge
>> > of
>> > Access......Only used PowerPoint once.......
>> >
>> > I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I
>> > have
>> > some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I
>> > see
>> > now).
>> >
>> > I have created several Excel projects with Macros but I haven't really
>> > worked so much with the other parts of Office as much so that's why I
>> > ask
>> > this question.......
>> >
>> > This site is GREAT and there are a lot of answers on here.
>> >
>> > Thanks For ALL the help I've got from members & found on here.
>> >
>> > Happy New Year & Best Wishes
>> >
>> > John
>> >

>> .

0
JoAnn

Cell text color change
I'm trying to get the text color in a cell to change (to red) if the formula in that cell produces a value above a certain ammount... Could this be done? Look at Format>Conditional Formatting -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Steffen" <Steffen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC53FC5B-81DD-4872-BDCF-A56B42C24159@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to get the text color in a cell to change (to red) if the formula > in that cell produces a value above a certain ammount... > > Could this be done? ...

Out of office assitant
My wife is starting a new business venture from home and is used to many features in Outlook from her old company. I've learned that some feature are not available because our home computer is not set up using Microsoft Exchange Server, but an Internet mail service. Is there any way around this?? Can I set up a single home computer to utilize MS Exchange Server? "Dave in Franklin, TN" <DaveinFranklinTN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF375DDD-5AE3-42E3-9296-CC809B58939A@microsoft.com... > My wife is starting a new business venture from home and ...

Using Dates with the IF function
Is it possible to format a cell using a formula such as the following: Column L uses an X to signify that a crime report due date has an expiration of 14 days. The date of the crime is listed in column B. How do you format Column H to signify if the date entered in Column H has expired (greater than 14 days past the date in Column B)? I would like the cells in Column H to change color if the date entered is 14 days past the date of the crime in Column B. I am using Excel 2003 Use conditional formatting (in the Format menu). Something like: =H1+14>B1 Regards, Fred ...

Best replicas and the Best Service and Guarnatee to Back up Our Watches
Best replicas and the Best Service and Guarnatee to Back up Our Watches REPLICA WATCHES: http://www.precisionreplicas.com We offer you a World of Luxury at very affordable prices and you can rest easy about your satisfaction of quality and service. Now, with just a few simple steps, you can own something that will make you feel and look great! You can go to that business meeting, sales conference, or cocktail party wearing a beautiful watch and be sure to catch people's attention. The way you act, dress and present yourself will always be looked upon by others. By choosing from our selec...

ms excel spreadsheet
After creating an Excel (Excel 2003) spreedsheet, how can i get the user to fill in the necessary/required cells (and telling the user to fill it in is not good enough)? Or is there a way to have Excel check to make sure these cells are filled in upon saving it? -- Matt K. You can create a before close and/or before save macro that checks the cells and refuses if not filled. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Matt K." <MattK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33EFF746-F964-4A36-8FC7-ED4CD3C54119@microsoft.com....

'problem starting the Office Assistant'
Hello, I know this is slightly off-topic but... I'm using Excel from Office 2000 and am getting an error on startup which I'd really like to get rid of: - There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to try installing it? I did try to re-install it but it didn't help. Any tips on how to get rid of this would be welcome! Thanks! >From Excel, along the menu at top, click Help and de-select "Show the Office Assistant". I'm biting my tongue, trying to resist the urge to editorialize about THAT particular piece of code. On 21 Nov 2005 18:...

RE: Prove this internet pack that came from the MS Corp.
--afbxapbcodrv Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pckvxszspjef"; type="multipart/alternative" --pckvxszspjef Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="tfednwbduguwdhf" --tfednwbduguwdhf Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "February 2004, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now ...

Delete date range of emails in mailbox using ESM?
In Exchange 5.5 we could click on a mailbox and select a date range and set it to delete those emails, I can' find a way in ESM for Exchange 2003. I have tried deleting a few 1000 emails from a mailbox that stores audit emails using my Outlook and it takes forever, is there a feature from ESM that can still do this? You could setup a mailbox manager rule (via recipient policy section). Another option would be to use Exmege. Set a date range and then tell it to archive rather than just export. "SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77B5A0B6-CD00-4...

Outlook 2007
Can anyone help? I can create a template, no problem. I can reply to emails, no problem. What I can not do and for the life of me, I'm not sure Outlook does either, is reply to an email using a template. It seems so simple, Reply, Reply To All, Reply Using Template ... In Outlook 2003, one had to create a custom rule. In Outlook 2007, the feature has been removed. Any ideas on how I can reply to an email with a specific template? I use templates in Outlook 2007. Check here it may be helpful: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102487481033.aspx / Andr...

Outlook/Outlook Express Address Book
On the same computer, I use Outlook and the spouse uses Outlook Express. The address books in each of the programs were separate, all of a sudden my address book in Outlook disappeared and is using the outlook express AB for both programs. Can anybody tell me what happened and how to separate the AB's again and where did MY AB go?? That is not possible. OE can use Outlook's address book, but not the converse. Provide more accurate detail including your versions and what produced this change. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Best Web Service Approach
I'm a bit of a newbie to web services, and would appreciate some thoughts as to the best approach for making a web service available to various, possibly non-microsoft, clients. I need to accept "orders" which are in an XML format defined by an XML schema (XSD) set by an external standards body. I've already got a set of class definitions which allow me to deserialize a valid XML order into an Order object (although I'm not absolutely certain that the class definitions exactly match the Schema in terms of "IsNullable=False" decorations etc). So my question is...

Full Text Indexing and Permissions
I working on a CRM 3.0 deployment that is built on Sql Server 2000 and Windows 2003 server. I want to create a report that looks for the frequency that individual products are mentioned in emails and this requires Full Text Indexing to be able to tune the search criteria. Now, to my knowledge, in SQL Server 2000 you can only index tables not views and it is too far into the project to goto SQL 2005. Am I right or is it possible in 2000? For now, I've added Full Text Indexing to the ActivityPointerBase table, including Description and Subject. My problem now is how to give permission to...

text appears in gray only
When I print out excel worksheets on my epson 440 color printer all text and grids appear in grey only. Any ideas?? "cas91061@hotmail.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05ec01c3c8a9$808d2db0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > When I print out excel worksheets on my epson 440 color > printer all text and grids appear in grey only. Any > ideas?? File > Page Setup > Sheet tab Do you have "Print: Black and White" checked? ...

Spammer using fictitious account on own domain
This is a security issue, so I don't know if I'm posting in the right group, but here goes anyway. I've started receiving spam from an address in my domain, which does not exist. The header of the spam uses a fictitious user account. For Example; ----------------------------------------------- Subject: RE:what is that? Spammer [falseuser@domain.name] To: Genuine User Cc: ------------------------------------------------ Also Exchange System Administrator is sending me the following message. I've changed some of the details for security reasons. -------------------------...

A 2 line text showing up in the Cell in Excel prints in 1 line
When I type in text in a Cell in Excel, and wrap it, it fits in 2 lines. When I print it, it prints in one line, leaving the other line as blank space. I could not figure out what is the problem. This also happens for 3 or more lines....when it prints in one line lesser than what it shows up in the Cell on the computer It wraps, right, it wraps over the viewport, in this case, the screen, now, the printer is another viewport, a hard-wrap and a soft-wrap are not the same and the printer uses different stdout, so, as the other fella said, use alt-Enter to put a hard-wrap, or, an act...

$3.50 best invest....
The First randomizer on the net with MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! http://www.rockmyway.com/newmem.asp?mailid=ipilote@lino.sympatico.ca Best of all .... we will Refund your money back to you if your turn of to be paid do not come in the 29 days of your signup(We are sure ..we DO NOT have to refund you , because you will love this program after you signup.YOU CAN GET PAID ON THE NEXT DAY OF YOUR SIGN UP!!!) ...

Need some advice on using rpc over https in the office
Hi all, I need your advice on these. Is it better to use rpc over https for outlook users inside office than using TCP/IP? Any security concern since we need to allow internal users to access the DMZ server directly - exchange front end sever? If we configure the outlook users to use rpc over https inside the office, what's connection status shown as TCP/IP or https? Thank you. Depends on your Outlook config, if you have set your profile to use TCP\IP on fast connections (LAN) it will use TCP\IP, otherwise it will default to RPC\HTTP such as when at home. Some people create two p...

Excel's Best Kept Secret
Hi I use this function in 75% of the applications that I develop for my clients around the world yet so few users know about SUMPRODUCT Click below to download a free spreadsheet on the subject http://www.excel-vba.com Pierre Leclerc http://www.excel-vba.com pleclerc@excel-vba.com ...

Payroll Manual Check Inquiry
We use manual checks to make adjustments to taxable wages. When we go to Check Inquiry, we can see the manual check but when we click on Transactions, this window is blank. How can we go back to see the original transaction to see the amounts that were entered? Do you get the same result when you go to Inquiry > Payroll > Transaction History for the employee(s) in question? If so, have you posted all your manual check batches? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://d...

suggestion or recommendation for a good Excel reference book
Can any one recommend a good reference book for Excel formulas, functions and their use. or a list of available functions and how they are meant to be used. Thought it might help eliminate some of those simpler questions. Brad Microsoft XL2003 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/CH062528191033.aspx xl2007 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100791861033.aspx?pid=CH100645021033 http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/index.php Just ran across the following using a web search. The site looks to have a number of free Excel worksheet function training videos you may find ...

Office word 2007 cannot open a document on the Desktop
Dear Sir/Madam Hello there, any one can give a help in the last few weeks I saw a error within Office Word 2007, which it can't open a document on the desktop and following message comes up (There was a problem sending the command to the program.). I applied the file extention from Control Panel and it still exists, sometimes I had had to click on the document right click and open it through the choice (Open). Many thanks indeed. Sincerely, Elsharif Run Office Setup from the Control Panel and choose the REPAIR option. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Elsh...

Temporary fix for Money Sign-in problem using Passport
I recently found a fix for the sign-in problem that people are having logging into Money using Passport. I'm using Money 2004 Deluxe on Windows98 SE. I found a post (after a rediculous amount of searching newsgroups) by someone saying to try starting up Money Express first. Here's what I did: Found the Money Express program on my harddisk at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe" Double-clicked the program to start it, found the icon in my taskbar at the far right (since nothing showed on the desktop after I started up the program), double-clicked the icon...

how do I amend the leading of the body text...
Hello, I am doing a course assignment in Publisher 2000 and need to find out what this text means: "Amend the leading of the Body text so that the columns are balanced to within 10mm of the bottom of each page." another one: "leading is consistent" Hope you can answer. Thanks for your help. Anna Anna - Because this is a course assignment, I'm not going to give you all of the answer *but* I will point you in the right direction: Read the Help file. Search the Index for Leading. (Sorry, she won't learn if we hand her the answers - life isn't that simple. ...

Text size on check boxes
Hi all: Is there any way to increase the text size on check boxes? Thanks in advance. FC I forgot to mention, Increasing the font on group boxes will be nice too. Thanks. ...

Best way to handle collection of similar calculations?
I frequently encounter situations where I want to perform a set of similar calculations on different data. If it's a table, like new a series of readings over time, I can set up a row for each entry and copy the formulas down each time I add a new row. But what if I want to replicate the entire sheet such as starting a new series of readings? Is there some way to set up some kind of "template" sheet that will be used for multiple derivative sheets? Say I am keeping track of mileage and service for a car. I have a sheet set up with rows and columns where I can enter gas purchase...