want to transfer out funds from a fund within an account to a fund within the same account.

I want to do this to preserve my cost basis.  I have a 401k that lets
say has a fund that I bought for 100 bucks and it gained 10 dollars.
when I issue a buy/sell to transfer it to another fund (within the same
401k account) the new cost basis is 110 dollars instead of the 100 that
I actually spent.  I know that using transfer in/out will preserve this
cost basis, but it doesnt seem to work within an account per other
threads of this nature.

How can I do something similar within the same account?  I am using
2005 premium.

Thanks
Vic.

money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

I don't think your use of Cost Basis reflects tax law were this a regular
investment account, nor is Cost Basis in the classic sense relevant at all
to 401k accounts.

That having been said, I don't know a way to achieve what you want to
achieve. Selling one investment and buying another is just that. Transfer
Shares is not that.

If your goal is to keep track of your original contribution, I'd suggest
there are other ways to achieve the goal.

<victor.thompson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to do this to preserve my cost basis.  I have a 401k that lets
> say has a fund that I bought for 100 bucks and it gained 10 dollars.
> when I issue a buy/sell to transfer it to another fund (within the same
> 401k account) the new cost basis is 110 dollars instead of the 100 that
> I actually spent.  I know that using transfer in/out will preserve this
> cost basis, but it doesnt seem to work within an account per other
> threads of this nature.
>
> How can I do something similar within the same account?  I am using
> 2005 premium.
>
> Thanks
> Vic.

I realize that it is not a transfer, but i do not realize any taxes on
gains or any distributions thereof.  Since this is a tax deferred
account my cost basis *should* remain the same until my positions are
actually sold (cashed in).

Is there any way to get money to calculate my gains this way? Or any
way to get similar software (quicken) to calculate this way?  Gains
should equal money out - money in.  When a fund is transferred
internally the gains are still not realized so the classical definition
is not quite accurate.

I'd let the plan administrator worry about what money is your contribution
(and what of that was pre-tax vs. post-tax) versus what money is a gain. At
any rate, for pre-tax contributions, the contribution and the gain is ALL
going to get treated as earned income the day you get a hold of it.

Once the account is setup as a 401k/tax deferred account in Money, all of
the tax reporting will reflect its activity correctly--i.e., not at all.

I don't know of a way to get Money to reflect investment performance in a
401k on an "original contribution" basis. Can't say whether Quicken can do
it. I'd bet not.

>I realize that it is not a transfer, but i do not realize any taxes on
> gains or any distributions thereof.  Since this is a tax deferred
> account my cost basis *should* remain the same until my positions are
> actually sold (cashed in).
>
> Is there any way to get money to calculate my gains this way? Or any
> way to get similar software (quicken) to calculate this way?  Gains
> should equal money out - money in.  When a fund is transferred
> internally the gains are still not realized so the classical definition
> is not quite accurate.

want questions

Vanguard Active Statements not properly separating accounts
I finally got around to trying to download my Vanguard Fund data into money, via the "active statements" option Vanguard offers. This produces an ofx file, which presumably should have the inidvidual fund names in it (I have 5 non-IRA and 2 IRA). However after importing this file, and clicking on "items to read", several line entries were dumped into the wrong accounts, under the wrong fund name. The only option I was offered was to delete it - no option to move it to the correct account,. This forced manual entry into the correct fund. Is anyone else experiencing this...

I want more!

Text want wrap in text box

Want to Add more Sub description Field

401K account
I setup a 401k account in Money this month. When I did the online update everything was in sync initially. Last night my monthly contribution was posted to the 401K account. I did an online update of the account this morning and the balance was wrong. I also noticed that some history was missing, my dividends did show up. Also, I have Money splitting a part of my paycheck into the 401K account and that transfer was not visible in the 401K account. The KB822766 article "401K and 403B Accounts Do Not Show in the List of Transactions in Money" says to: 1.. On the Accounts & Bills...

Eliminating duplicate emails in a users account
I have a user that ended up with a large number of duplicate emails. What is the best way to fix this problem. ...

Excel wants to create a page break in every cell!
After saving revisions in an Excel worksheet, I get a popup message that states "Margins do not fit page size". After clicking "ok" (because this is my only choice) a page break is automatically created in ever cell. At times(depending on the sizeof the work sheet) it can be over 100 pages with a page size 14% or smaller. Why does this happen, and how can I avoid it? I saw this suggestion in a different forum. Try closing excel. Clean up your windows temp folder Windows start button|Run type: %temp% and hit enter Clean all those files that you ca...

WANTED
WTB: I BUY SOFTWARE - CHECK AROUND - YOU PROBABLY HAVE SOME OF THE BELOW TO SELL TO ME. SEE A LIST OF SOME OF THE SOFTWARE THAT I AM BUYING! I AM BUYING ALL OF THE BELOW. THE MORE QUANTITY THE BETTER! I am looking to buy large quantities of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade Dell DVDs with unactivated COAs included in a SEALED package I am looking to buy quantities of SYMANTEC NORTON ANTI VIRUS, NORTON INTERNET SECURITY AND 360 OEM AND RETAIL BOXES I will buy 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006. If you have good quantities setting around and no longer need send me detai...

further help deploying an application within my database
i am slowly building a db to assist me with the paperwork that is required for me to do, i am new to access and am building my db as i go along, seeing bits i like, ideas ect and adding them to mine. my work in the emergency health care requires follow up documentation, i have to produce documents to show that skills i have used, how i maintained and improved my knowledgebase and how i have implimented these at incidents i have attended. to this end i have a number of tables and various forms to capture various records of the skills i used, medication i administered ect. this pr...

2 seperate Amex accounts
My wife and I have 2 seperate Amex accounts. In Money 2003, it wants to link the both to the same online access for Amex. But they are two different accounts, with different user ID's and passwords. I know it must be a simple adjustment, any help is appreciated. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Bill wrote: >My wife and I have 2 seperate Amex accounts. In Money 2003, it wants to >link the both to the same online access for Amex. But they are two >different accounts, with different user ID's and passwords. I know it must >be a simple adjustment, any help is appre...

outlook 97 account to outlook 2002 account, how?
From office97 to office xp This seems a bit stupid, but how do I do this? The post office in on another xp machine, (\\gate\Epostoffice\) using outlook 97, this works fine. I have imported the .pst file and the address book, so why the hassle with the account details? Is there a way to export the outlook97 account details, as there seems fewer and totally different options in outlook 2002 V10? OL2002 didn't support MS Mail but you can add it. There's some info here about that: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/msmail_xp.htm "pete" <petefa@f2s.com> wrote in messa...

Check boxes
Hi---I am setting up a form with various check boxes. I want to set up a range of check boxes so if any of these boxes are checked, then one corresponding check box if also checked. On the flip side, if none in the range of boxes are checked, then the one corresponding box is also not checked. I hope this can be done with a formula or conditional formatting, instead of a macro....if it takes a macro, whoever resonds to this question, please explain in easy terms---I don't have a lot o fmacro experience. Thanks!!! A boolean checkbox reflects the TRUE / FALSE value of the cell it ...

Accessing other's e-mail accounts in Exchange 2003
I have 2 basic questions for Exchange 2003 and I'm hoping someone can help me out here. The message is long as I have to explain the scenarios. :) 1. We have some e-mail accounts that are no longer used (e.g. old employees, etc.) that we need to access. I can certainly access the with the user's credentials. Is there a way to access someone's mailbox as an "Administrator" instead of as the user? For example, can Administrator access John Doe's mailbox using Administrator's credentials? This is of course assuming the Administrator has permissions to do. If s...

I want to know something about Visual Studio 2005
Hi, I want to know something about Visual Studio 2005 the size of it , and the System Requirements, who knows , please tell me. Thanks a lot. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/vspro/details/default.aspx -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "fcvcnet" <fcvcnet@163.com> wrote in message news:#xJvGnNPGHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I want to know something about Visual Studio 2005 > the size of it , and the System Requirements, who knows , please tell me. > Thanks a lot. > > Thank you so much! But I can not find the Visual Studi...

remove a unknown account from my Mailbox Rights list
I want to remove a unknown account from my Mailbox Rights list. When I try to remove this account I get the next security warning: you cannot remove account unknown because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent, you must prevent this object from inheriting permissions. Where do I have to delete this unknown account? Marco As the error suggest the permission has been applied further up the Exchange org. Work backwards until you find it. For example, Information Store - Storage Group - Server. Nue "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

When repeating city want zipcode to populate
Making a data base of mailing addresses. Is there a formula to use to get a zipcode to populate in a cell when a city and state is entered in two other cells? Thanks. See help on VLOOKUP function. Or go here for excellent help and an example workbook. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:05:32 -0800, jrw - esq. <jrw - esq.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Making a data base of mailing addresses. Is there a formula to use to get a >zipcode to populate in a cell when a city and state is entered in two other >...

Project Accounting #3
We use MS Project (a lot) and are looking for an accounting system that will integrate with it. I've heard that Great Plains Project Accounting does, but was wondering the following: 1. Is it suitable for a small business (in terms of cost and complexity)? What does it cost? 2. Does the integration with MS Project require the use of Project Server? 3. Can it do job costing? 4. Does it include any sort of time sheet/card system for capturing labor hours? Thanks for any feedback on this. Pat Call LMR Solutions for MS Project Integration to GP: http://www.lmrsolutions.com/...

Chart of Accounts #4
We're looking to move to GP and currently have a 1 segment chart of account - we would like to change to a multi-segemtn chart. Can anyone point me to some documentation on ideas of how to set our chart up. Thanks! Andrea: I've done many chart of accounts setups over the years. The format I like is a 3 segment account number where the first segment is the "division", the second segment is the "main" account, and the third segment is the "department". Even if you don't need the "division" segment now, you may in the future. This format...

exchange and outlook smtp/pop accounts
Can someone tell me if the e-mail from an smtp/pop account in Outlook on an SBS 2003 network is stored on the local machine or the server? Does Exchange have anything to do with the process or storage if only the smtp/pop account is used and not an Exchange account in Outlook? It can be either the Exchange mailbox or a .pst file, depending on which = is the default store for the mail profile.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=3D54=20 <runner7@...

Want Windows Mail to open my live.com mail
What are the server settings to have my live.com mail open in my Windows Mail To access Hotmail accounts with Windows Mail, you have to use POP3. See href="http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry Use port 587 for SMTP (outgoing) With the newer Windows Live Mail, it's much easier. Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 http://download.live.com/wlmail "Sue Ann" wrote in message news:e$a0jezMLHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... What are the server settings to have my live.com mail open in my Windows Mail ...

Transfer time hh:mm to decimal and round
Anyone know how to transfer a time (hh:mm) into a rounded decimal? example: 3:08 to be 3.25?? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but if I have my time i cell A1, my formula might look like this... =(HOUR(A1)*60+MINUTE(A1))/60 Format the cell as "number" showing as many decimals as you need. Th time conversions would look like this: 3:15 would yield 3.25 4:30 would yield 4.50 (with decimals set at 2) 13:12 would yield 13.20...etc. I'm assuming you want the decimals to show the minutes as fractions o an ho...

Visio Programmers Wanted
I am looking for a programmer with experience programming for Visio to develop a documentation tool. It can be a remotely developed project anywhere on the globe. ...