want to transfer out funds from a fund within an account to a fund within the same account.

I want to do this to preserve my cost basis.  I have a 401k that lets
say has a fund that I bought for 100 bucks and it gained 10 dollars.
when I issue a buy/sell to transfer it to another fund (within the same
401k account) the new cost basis is 110 dollars instead of the 100 that
I actually spent.  I know that using transfer in/out will preserve this
cost basis, but it doesnt seem to work within an account per other
threads of this nature.

How can I do something similar within the same account?  I am using
2005 premium.

Thanks
Vic.

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

I don't think your use of Cost Basis reflects tax law were this a regular
investment account, nor is Cost Basis in the classic sense relevant at all
to 401k accounts.

That having been said, I don't know a way to achieve what you want to
achieve. Selling one investment and buying another is just that. Transfer
Shares is not that.

If your goal is to keep track of your original contribution, I'd suggest
there are other ways to achieve the goal.

<victor.thompson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to do this to preserve my cost basis.  I have a 401k that lets
> say has a fund that I bought for 100 bucks and it gained 10 dollars.
> when I issue a buy/sell to transfer it to another fund (within the same
> 401k account) the new cost basis is 110 dollars instead of the 100 that
> I actually spent.  I know that using transfer in/out will preserve this
> cost basis, but it doesnt seem to work within an account per other
> threads of this nature.
>
> How can I do something similar within the same account?  I am using
> 2005 premium.
>
> Thanks
> Vic.

I realize that it is not a transfer, but i do not realize any taxes on
gains or any distributions thereof.  Since this is a tax deferred
account my cost basis *should* remain the same until my positions are
actually sold (cashed in).

Is there any way to get money to calculate my gains this way? Or any
way to get similar software (quicken) to calculate this way?  Gains
should equal money out - money in.  When a fund is transferred
internally the gains are still not realized so the classical definition
is not quite accurate.

I'd let the plan administrator worry about what money is your contribution
(and what of that was pre-tax vs. post-tax) versus what money is a gain. At
any rate, for pre-tax contributions, the contribution and the gain is ALL
going to get treated as earned income the day you get a hold of it.

Once the account is setup as a 401k/tax deferred account in Money, all of
the tax reporting will reflect its activity correctly--i.e., not at all.

I don't know of a way to get Money to reflect investment performance in a
401k on an "original contribution" basis. Can't say whether Quicken can do
it. I'd bet not.

>I realize that it is not a transfer, but i do not realize any taxes on
> gains or any distributions thereof.  Since this is a tax deferred
> account my cost basis *should* remain the same until my positions are
> actually sold (cashed in).
>
> Is there any way to get money to calculate my gains this way? Or any
> way to get similar software (quicken) to calculate this way?  Gains
> should equal money out - money in.  When a fund is transferred
> internally the gains are still not realized so the classical definition
> is not quite accurate.

Deleted Items of multiple accounts (Outlook 2003)
Assuming I have account A as major mailbox and account B as additional. Back in Outlook 2000, when browsing emails of account B and delete emails, they go into the [Deleted Items] folder of account A, no problem in that, I can still drag-n-drop the mails directly into the [Deleted Items] of account B and does not interferce account A at all. However in Outlook 2003, even when I drag the messages directly into [Deleted Items] folder of account B, they still ended up in that of account A. Any work around that we could resolve this? ...

Printing options within Outlook
I've got two Office XP printing questions for the newsgroup. 1. Is there a way to print only the content of an e-mail message without having to save it as a .rtf file and editing it? The goal is to print the message without the header information. 2. When printing calendar items that were sent to a large group of people, how do you print the "To:" field. In XP, it appears that this field is not printed after a certain number of recipients are reached. Any help would be appreciated. I can be e-mailed at: greg dot vassar at aaipharma dot com ...

Money 2005
I have an account that updates directly from my bank, I believe that at some point I have either altered or deleted a transaction and now the two balances for the account do not match, i.e. the balance shown for the account and the balance shown by the transactions. How do I sort this out, it I add in a transaction to correct this won't it affect both figures? P.S. I do not have any future transactions setup "Grant" wrote: > I have an account that updates directly from my bank, I believe that at some > point I have either altered or deleted a transaction and now th...

How do I delete multiple BLANK rows within data?
I extracted a file & converted it to xl format. Every 4 rows there is a BLANK row dividing the next section/rows of data. I tried using Data > Sort & Advanced Filter but in the rows of data I need the data is not consistently entered into each field. So this makes it hard to filter correctly. I need to filter the data but due to the BLANK rows it is not working. I have removed some of the blank rows by using Ctrl & delete but this is very time consuming & the file is huge. Thx Just a suggestion. Not sure if it will work or even addresses your problem: Try using autofi...

creating an e-mail account
i,m trying to create an e-mail account using Windows Vista Mail and they want me e-mail server(incoming and outgoing) and don't know what those are? What do you suggest i do? "tshepo moloi" <tshepo@creditmatters.co.za> wrote in message news:4F06074A-403D-4299-BFE4-A96B8B40C68F@microsoft.com... > i,m trying to create an e-mail account using Windows Vista Mail and they > want me e-mail server(incoming and outgoing) and don't know what those > are? What do you suggest i do? Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windo...

Change Single Sign On account
I have MOSS 2007 SP2. Everything is working OK. 3rd party backups are failing on the SSO part. I have been informed by the off-site backup people that I need to change the SSO service account to be the same as the backup service account. My question: What are the rammifications of this? I do not want to blow anything up...... Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_AA8BC052 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Please refer the below article this will give you some idea about the SSO backup: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512096.aspx ------=_Next...

Error accessing POP-3 account
In addition to the Exchange Server I have a POP-3 account defined. It always works when I first open Outlook, but it fails 2/3 of the time afterwards. The error message is Task 'david POP - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A): 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server adminstrator or Internet service provider(ISP).' I never have trouble with this POP-3 account from home or via the web. If it can't be fixed, is there any way to shorten how long it ...

How do I show % of Goal within a single bar, on barchart
I'm trying to display actual as a % of goal in a single bar, in a bar chart (bar will have 2 colors, one for actual performance, another for goal performance). I want to do it this way because I am showing us compared to several competitors who each have their own goal. I know it's possible, I've seen it. Anyone know how to do it? ...

using an update query to create records within a date period
I plan our events using Access. At the moment when I'm given the dates for an event e.g. 1st July to 17th July I have to manually create a new record for each day. Is there any way in an update query I could type in my constants (event type, event name, event location) and the start date and the end date and create records for all of the days between the start and end date? If there is, I have no idea what to set the "update to" and "criteria" to? Any help would be greatly appreciated. JAMES On Jul 26, 11:12 am, James Frater <JamesFra...@discussions.micros...

Creating a Rule to redirect mails within an Outlook rule
Hi We have a situation here where I have been asked to perform an action on specific emails send outside from the a user mailbox. All emails going outside to a particular domain (example: @yahoo.com) should make a copy(redirect) to (other local mail box). I have NEVER created a custom action before and don't have a clue how to do this... Also, Is this action can be created from the mail server (by mail server administrator)? Thanks, Sammy Sumir wrote: > Hi > We have a situation here where I have been asked to perform an action > on > specific emails send outside from the ...

Changing a Withdrawal to a Transfer
My wife entered a number of payments on credit cards (from checking) as Withdrawals instead of Transfers. Is there a way to "convert" an entry from a Withdrawal to a Transfer? If I delete the Withdrawal, I will lose the status of the electronic payment to the bank. Or is my only option to enter an offsetting entry for each payment in the credit card account? Thank you Yes! Try changing the category to "transfer". The sub-category will be the account for the other end of the transfer. -- Will you sponsor me in the Tour de Cure? http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?...

transfer of data
Is there a way to transfer data that is in outlook to an exce spreadsheet. I have name, address, city, state, zip, all phone numbers that I woul like to send to certain cells in a spreadsheet. If this is possible, what code could I write help me do this? :confused: Thank You Michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi in Outlook you can save your data as *.csv file. Open this exported file in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "daniels012 >" <<daniels012.1byt7v@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:daniels012.1byt7v@excel...

How to Categorize Transfers Within the Same Bank
I am new to Money 2006 deluxe and just installed it yesterday. I was succesful in getting my banking information synchronized with Money. However, I am a bit confused by two things. 1) I have 5 sub accounts all under the same account number at my bank. One is checking, one is primary savings, the others are simply savings accounts with different sub account numbers. I tend to transfer money from one account to the next. For instanace if I need to make a large payment by check then I would transfer money from one of the other 4 accounts into my checking account. My question is what sho...

I want to sort Data A-Z starting at Cell A1 to C34
I have a block of data in three columns A, B, C. I want to be able to sort all the cell data individual by each cell, starting at A1 working across to C1, then to A2 to C2, then A3 to C3 continuing downwards, so that when you viewing the data, it reads across the rows in a continous flow from A-Z like this: 0-9 abc def ghi jkl mno pqr stu vwx yz Can somebody tell me how to do this, I have tried all the ranges offfered by Excel, but nothing seems to work. All data is formatted to Text. Thank you, Sue Let's say the original data is in cells A1:C30. Do you want all of the data in a s...

How to set up a Term-deposit account
Hi Does any one know "How to set up a Term-deposit account ? ". Should "Term deposit" (or Fix deposit) account regarded as "Bank account" or "Investment account" ? If it belong to "Bank" account, how can I set up the interest rate and know how much interest I will gain on it's maturity. If it belong to "Investment", which category it belong to ? If it belong none of above account, which account I should created from ? Thanks Albert Is this like the Investment Type "CD" which would be held in an Investment Accoun...

XXX Account Number Display in Account List
Is there a way to "un-hide" the xxx masks in the Account Number field in the Account List Display? No. But R-click Details reveals that and more. It's pseudo-security at best. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=169. "Raybo" <raybo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OoepFmi5EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to "un-hide" the xxx masks in the Account Number field in > the Account List Display? > Thanks, I saw that post earlier, but thought there might be some type of setting in an update that allows the account to be ...

inventory quantity transfers between databases
Having the ability to do inventory quantity transfers between multiple company databases by being able to select sites from another company database in the To field in the Inventory Transfer Entry window. This is not the same as a suggestion for doing intercompany transactions in Inventory. A couple of partners would like to have this functionality in Great Plains or if there is a third party application that can do this, please advise. Thanks! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this sugg...

"Remove access" to certain accounts in CRM 4.0
Is there a way in CRM 4.0 to remove access from specific accounts for specific users? Accounts they would otherwise have access to? I'm only talking about a very specific subset of the regular accounts in the business unit for which the person resides. Anyone have any experience with that? The simplest way is to move this accounts "VIP accounts?" into another business unit and set the access rights accordingly. Or you can use the team approach. Regards, Robert "Adam Pinilla" wrote: > Is there a way in CRM 4.0 to remove access from specific accounts for...

Transfer "Tabs name" to a worksheet
Hi everyone, I have a little problem as I need to create many worksheet tabs in workbook everyday. How can I make a summary of all the tab names that have in this workbook to a worksheet? (so that I can check on m progress daily) Is there a formula or a little macro that can do this? Eg. I have many tab names: GR21550, GR21551, GR21553, GR21554, GC35000, GC35001, GC35002, GC35004, TR58690, TR58691, TR58692, TR58693, TL18000, TL18002, TL18003, TL18004, ZA8700, ZA8701, ZA8702, ZA8703, ZA8704etc.... Thanks and appreciate any help available -- tunabrea ----------------------------------...

Error assign Account to user
Hi, I have a problem when I'm trying to assign a account to a new user. The system are just saying: unexpected Error Anyone there have same issue? -- Best regards, Anders Jeppesen MCP, MCTS, MPV CRM Gruppen ApS ...

Account Info Storage
Where does Outlook 2003 store my e-mail account information - my userid, password, etc.? I was under the impression that Outlook stored everything in the PST file for ease of backup, working from servers, etc. But apparently that is not strictly true. I created two different pst files for myself and my wife so that our e-mail would be kept separate. And then I would copy the relevant pst file into Outlook's default pst name before opening Outlook and copy it back out at shut down. (Rename actually, rather than copy) That works to the extent that all the mailboxes and such are kept co...

How is it that a cell can transfer the correct formula, but the w.
When we copy and paste a cell that has a formula in it, it is transferring the row adjusted formula, but the value from the cell that it was copied from. The settings in paste special are all correct. Any suggestions? What's the formula? What's the result? What do you expect? Regards, Peo Sjoblom "kbigs" wrote: > When we copy and paste a cell that has a formula in it, it is transferring > the row adjusted formula, but the value from the cell that it was copied > from. The settings in paste special are all correct. Any suggestions? The formula is a simpl...

Account doesn't balance
Hi All, After downloading my checking account details, the balance my bank shows online is different than my Money 2004 balance? Any ideas on what I'm missing here? Thanks very much, CM In microsoft.public.money, CM wrote: > >After downloading my checking account details, the balance my bank shows >online is different than my Money 2004 balance? > >Any ideas on what I'm missing here? Uncleared transactions in your register? Duplicate or missing entry in your register? Sometimes my bank takes a day or two to catch up. Example: you direct paid something today, y...

Allocate stock to Projects in Project Accounting
If the Project Accounting module had the ability to hold details of stock that would be needed on a project and actually allocated the quantities against inventory, then it would be possible to sell Project Accounting and manufacturing to organisation who both contract and manufacture products to contracts. By allocating the stock to a project, the MRP process would pick up the demand and generate an MO for the stock needed. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the &qu...

Require active distribution accounts for variable account setup
Issue: The variable allocation account setup function does not require a valid distribution account prior to saving the variable account. If this variable account is used as a posting account in one of the sub ledgers the posting errors out. Require a active / valid posting account as a distribution account for Variable allocation accounts. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow th...