Using a previous version of Money file

After searching through the previous postings and responses, I was unable to
find a posting that addressed my issue so here's my posting:

After upgrading from 2003 Deluxe to 2004 Deluxe, I did an on-line sync of my
accounts, which has been working great for me under 2003 Deluxe.  During my
first sync, 2004 Deluxe downloaded approx 350 'new' transactions that had
already been reconciled, approx 7 months prior.  The dates and transaction
data matched perfectly, but 2004 viewed them as 'new' and bolded them.  This
also happened for several other accounts.  After tredging through all 500
new transactions, I then tried to reconcile the account that had 350
downloads with a paper statement.  Now, 2004 is showing that the starting
balance does not match the previous month's ending balance.  In the past I
have gone back one month at a time, converting all 'reconciled' transactions
to 'unreconciled' until I found the problem month.

I decided to use my 2003 file, which has been renamed as a '*.mn11' file
(2003 format), but 2004 deluxe continues to open it as a Money 11 file
instead of updating to a 2004 format.  If I remove the '.mn11' extension and
save it as '.mny', Windows XP does not recognize which program to open the
file with.  Is there a way I can force the conversion of the '.mn11' file to
a '.mny' 2004 format?  If not, do you have any suggestion on how to correct
the problem I am having with account balances not matching while
reconciling?

Thanks

money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

This makes no sense to me and completely confounds my expectations of what
all should happen here. (Plus, you should mean .M11 not .MN11.) I'm not sure
exactly how to setup a test case here, but this just doesn't sound right to
me.

"Wesley Sanders" <thesanderz_nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I decided to use my 2003 file, which has been renamed as a '*.mn11' file
> (2003 format), but 2004 deluxe continues to open it as a Money 11 file
> instead of updating to a 2004 format.  If I remove the '.mn11' extension
and
> save it as '.mny', Windows XP does not recognize which program to open the
> file with.  Is there a way I can force the conversion of the '.mn11' file
> a '.mny' 2004 format?

I have also tried re-installing Money 2003 and renaming the .m11 file
extension to .mny but I get the same error that others have reported
including Victor Kowalenko on 1/13/2004 at 12:04 AM that

"The error
| reads "Money cannot locate 'C:/documents and
| settings/victor/my documents/my money.mny' or cannot open
| it, possibly because it is a read only file or you do not
| have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write
| protected.  If you have chosen the correct file and it
| cannot be accessed, you will need to click ok and open
| your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used
| by another application, close it in the other application
| and clik of to try again". "

This is the error I get after renaming the .m11 file back to .mny and
opening it with 2003.

message news:uXMf12V4DHA.1636@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> This makes no sense to me and completely confounds my expectations of what
> all should happen here. (Plus, you should mean .M11 not .MN11.) I'm not
sure
> exactly how to setup a test case here, but this just doesn't sound right
> me.
>
> "Wesley Sanders" <thesanderz_nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I decided to use my 2003 file, which has been renamed as a '*.mn11' file
> > (2003 format), but 2004 deluxe continues to open it as a Money 11 file
> > instead of updating to a 2004 format.  If I remove the '.mn11' extension
> and
> > save it as '.mny', Windows XP does not recognize which program to open
the
> > file with.  Is there a way I can force the conversion of the '.mn11'
file
> > a '.mny' 2004 format?

Most people who get this message get it when trying to upgrade a data file
in a later version of the application.

Did you check to see if the .M11 renamed to .MNY file really is not set to
read-only?

Do you have a backup?

You can be this week's "Poster Poster" for the "Downloaded transaction data
is frequently more trouble than it's worth" Poster Contest.

> I have also tried re-installing Money 2003 and renaming the .m11 file
> extension to .mny but I get the same error that others have reported
> including Victor Kowalenko on 1/13/2004 at 12:04 AM that
>
> "The error
> | reads "Money cannot locate 'C:/documents and
> | settings/victor/my documents/my money.mny' or cannot open
> | it, possibly because it is a read only file or you do not
> | have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write
> | protected.  If you have chosen the correct file and it
> | cannot be accessed, you will need to click ok and open
> | your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used
> | by another application, close it in the other application
> | and clik of to try again". "
>
> This is the error I get after renaming the .m11 file back to .mny and
> opening it with 2003.

Previously checked and the file is not set to read only.  I was able to sort
of fix the problem, but I think the underlying issue remains.  After
uninstalling 2004 Deluxe and going back to 2003 Deluxe (as previously
posted), I tried one more time to re-install 2004 Deluxe and renamed the
..m11 file to .mny.  I would venture to say that M04 Deluxe never fully
converted the 03 file, because when I restarted M04 Deluxe, the file opened
up just fine and no conversion took place.  In other words, I think that
despite the .m11 (Money 2003) extension on the file, it was still a .mny 04
file.  I backed up the data and have now attempted another on-line sync with
MSN Money, which is where my problem first took place.

After the second sync, I have the same 500 or so 'new' transactions.  Did
M04 Deluxe 'reset' some counter or flag that M03 Deluxe used as a pointer
for what is a new vs an old transaction?  Should I try this as another
posting instead?

message news:e2fHKNW4DHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Most people who get this message get it when trying to upgrade a data file
> in a later version of the application.
>
> Did you check to see if the .M11 renamed to .MNY file really is not set to
> read-only?
>
> Do you have a backup?
>
> You can be this week's "Poster Poster" for the "Downloaded transaction
data
> is frequently more trouble than it's worth" Poster Contest.
>
> "Wesley Sanders" <thesanderz_nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I have also tried re-installing Money 2003 and renaming the .m11 file
> > extension to .mny but I get the same error that others have reported
> > including Victor Kowalenko on 1/13/2004 at 12:04 AM that
> >
> > "The error
> > | reads "Money cannot locate 'C:/documents and
> > | settings/victor/my documents/my money.mny' or cannot open
> > | it, possibly because it is a read only file or you do not
> > | have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write
> > | protected.  If you have chosen the correct file and it
> > | cannot be accessed, you will need to click ok and open
> > | your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used
> > | by another application, close it in the other application
> > | and clik of to try again". "
> >
> > This is the error I get after renaming the .m11 file back to .mny and
> > opening it with 2003.

You should probably start a different thread. I know nothing about
downloaded transaction data besides it's abundantly clear to me that it's
more trouble for many people than it can possible be worth. I enter all my
own transaction data. I never have any of these problems. Go figure why.

> After the second sync, I have the same 500 or so 'new' transactions.  Did
> M04 Deluxe 'reset' some counter or flag that M03 Deluxe used as a pointer
> for what is a new vs an old transaction?  Should I try this as another
> posting instead?

I'm with Dick on this. It takes me 10 mins once a month to check my bank
statement but judging by the posts people are spending a lot more time than
that trying to resolve inconsistencies in the downloaded data.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

message news:Os1g2JX4DHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> You should probably start a different thread. I know nothing about
> downloaded transaction data besides it's abundantly clear to me that it's
> more trouble for many people than it can possible be worth. I enter all my
> own transaction data. I never have any of these problems. Go figure why.
>
> "Wesley Sanders" <thesanderz_nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> After the second sync, I have the same 500 or so 'new' transactions.  Did
>> M04 Deluxe 'reset' some counter or flag that M03 Deluxe used as a pointer
>> for what is a new vs an old transaction?  Should I try this as another
>> posting instead?

0
Bob_Peel1 (286)

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

XmlTextReader and 2GB file limit
Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package restrictions. Best wishes, Hugh McFadden hugh.mcfadden@visiongain.com Hugh McFadden wrote: > Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger > than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version > with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package > restrictions. Sorry for lame qu...

using forms

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

Using Spanish on Publisher

System Files
Hello, I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I am trying to create a bootable cd. Please advise. -- Mike Jessica@aol.com wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I > am trying to create a bootable cd. > > Please advise. First of all, I'll have to admit, I've never made a bootable CD from scratch myself. These are just a few bits and pieces I've noticed along the way. It is not simply a matter of "throwing" some files onto a CD. http...

Why can't I re-import a registry file created by RegSaveKey(...) under Win 9x?
Hello: I was trying to save a registry key to a file say, "mykey" with help of RegSaveKey(...) [not RegSaveKeyEx(...)]. The file can be re-imported with "Regedit" under WinXP if it is produced under Win XP. But for the same program running under Win 98/95, the files created under these OSs cannot be re-imported. These files cannot be re-imported under WinXP. Can anyone tell me why? The exerpted code is listed below: .... char szSubKey[_MAX_FNAME]; char FileName[_MAX_FNAME]; long rc = 0; HKEY hKey; sprintf(szSubKey, "Software\Mykey"); sprintf(FileName,...

microsoft money/msn money
whats is the differances between microsoft money and msn money Where your data is stored and where the application really runs are the first two that come to mind. With Money, you don't **need** the Internet to do anything. It's an application installed on your computer that uses data files stored on your computer, just like Excel, Word or WordPad. With MSN, it's all about the Internet--that's where your data is stored. The "application" is all driven by their web site. "alphonso" <alphonso50removethis@msn.com> wrote in message news:0903D6EB-7F9C-45A...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Upgrading Money for W95 to later or latest version?
I have been using Money for W95 since I bought my first computer over 10 years ago and for whatever reason have never got round to upgrading it. My question is whether it is possible to uprade this version of Money to a later version or the latest version (which I understand is 2005 in the UK)? Are there compatability issues? I have data going back 10 years or more which I would rather not lose and really want to get myself out of the ark and into the brave new world! I've done a search on the 'net and - perhaps unsurprisingly - have not found much to read on Money for W95. So any tip...

Snapshot Viewer will not open .snp file
We have a client that sends us .snp files as email attachments. We have Office 2007 installed on new Windows XP PCs. We have the Snapshot Viewer installed. When we attempt to open an .snp file, either from email or after saving attachment to the desktop, all we get is a blank Snapshot Viewer window. If we re-install the Shapshot Viewer we can then open one .snp file and then it reverts back to opening with a blank viewer window for subsequent ..snp files that are opened. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Susie Install a different Printer Driver for the workstations exhibiting ...

Display As = File as & (address in parens)
I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and something changed. I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does. In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)". But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH". In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the default: name AND email address. It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping there'...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Using secured OMA

NOT Impressed with Money 2005
Just updated from Money 2003 Deluxe & Business to Money 2005 Small Business. Can't find any improvements worth having (for my operation), but lots of backward steps. The interface is glitchy ... sometimes it works, sometimes I get odd errors that look almost like an internet failure. Sometimes even the help menu won't start. Features I've hoped to see over the years still aren't there. It seemed to convert my old money file with no problems, but I've had to abandon online updates. I have multiple money files (personal, business 1, business 2,etc) and at ...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Error message on Money 2005
Keep getting error message: Money is not able to load some or all of your financial Planner data. Please note the error number of the message, and then contact Microsfot Technical Support for mor information. HRESULT=0x80046213 I am using an XP machine, I have also imported a Quicken file! In microsoft.public.money, Shane Nation wrote: >Keep getting error message: >Money is not able to load some or all of your financial Planner data. Really? > Please >note the error number of the message, and then contact Microsfot Technical >Support for mor information. >HRESULT...