Upgrading to Money 2005 Beware!

I am a 3 year user of Money 2003 and Money2004 Small Business. Although I
have had minor problems, these products have been very stable and have
greatly enhanced my financial control. So I was very surprised to find that
MIcrosoft put out Money 2005 in its current state. I was receiving sales
hints every time I ran 2004 and so I upgraded yesterday. What a mistake! The
product has changed so much that nothing went smoothly and all of my records
, accounts and history were messed up. Their program just quit several times
on me without aborting messages - it just disappeared and I had to launch it
again. It pushes you hard to put out all of your information on the MSN
internet site even if you don't want to. It reconfigures you online access to
your accounts and creates new accounts at banks which you may have previously
told it to leave alone. There does not seem to be the same type of detail
configuration possible. Since I have other accounts that I manage for
children that I don't want to see in my financial statement this is a
problem. If you try to delete these new accounts it added, it wants to delete
all of your accounts at that bank.
This product has not advanced that state of control you have, it has reduced
it. I have wasted my upgrade fee on this one and will now be looking at other
alternatives. Too bad - I really liked the product through 2004 versions. I
removed the product and re-installed Money 2004. Thank goodness I had a
backup of my data because 2005 also changes the file structures. Be careful
if you try this upgrade.
0
Mike1154 (1216)
10/17/2004 7:29:03 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Money's automation is more of a burden than it is helpful. I was hoping 2005
would fix some of the problems in 2004, but it seems to have more bugs now
than it ever did. The only difference is there are more advertisements,
hidden as services like bill pay, etc. You can't turn these off either.

My biggest problem now is just balancing and cleaning up all the duplicate
entries Money secretly adds on each import. I also can't mark any of my
invoices as paid, because once you do guess what -- another duplicate entry
goes into your bank of choice. I tried creating a "fake" holding account
just so I can keep track of paid invoices. Well now I have a positive
balance of twice my actual income! Woohoo! Too bad my bank doesn't agree!

So Money is still just a way to keep a back-up of all my accounts. I import
once a month. It's never balanced, but oh well. I can never use it for my
taxes, but oh well.

I like the new install music!

-Max

>I am a 3 year user of Money 2003 and Money2004 Small Business. Although I
> have had minor problems, these products have been very stable and have
> greatly enhanced my financial control. So I was very surprised to find
> that
> MIcrosoft put out Money 2005 in its current state. I was receiving sales
> hints every time I ran 2004 and so I upgraded yesterday. What a mistake!
> The
> product has changed so much that nothing went smoothly and all of my
> records
> , accounts and history were messed up. Their program just quit several
> times
> on me without aborting messages - it just disappeared and I had to launch
> it
> again. It pushes you hard to put out all of your information on the MSN
> internet site even if you don't want to. It reconfigures you online access
> your accounts and creates new accounts at banks which you may have
> previously
> told it to leave alone. There does not seem to be the same type of detail
> configuration possible. Since I have other accounts that I manage for
> children that I don't want to see in my financial statement this is a
> problem. If you try to delete these new accounts it added, it wants to
> delete
> all of your accounts at that bank.
> This product has not advanced that state of control you have, it has
> reduced
> it. I have wasted my upgrade fee on this one and will now be looking at
> other
> alternatives. Too bad - I really liked the product through 2004 versions.
> removed the product and re-installed Money 2004. Thank goodness I had a
> backup of my data because 2005 also changes the file structures. Be
> careful
> if you try this upgrade.

0
nospam848 (26)
10/17/2004 8:11:26 PM
I am so fuming mad at Microsoft over this money ’05 deal.  I mainly use money
on my pocket PC and when I purchased this product I was eager to use it.
However I am unable to use this product on my PPC.  There is an add-on
package that is coming soon.  I look on the web site about every day and
nothing.  This product should have never been released until everything was
working together.
0
Forever1 (1)
10/18/2004 9:53:05 AM
) I think this new version is terrible. How do I exercise the 30-day Money
Back Guarantee?
  A) Assuming that you are in the United States or Canada, call Microsoft
Customer Service at (800) 426-9400. You will have to send the product back
to them with additional information (like a receipt for purchase and the
reason for return) and they will send you a check. Microsoft has a web page
with more details on this process.