Unwanted Drive-by Installations on Update

I am running Money 2002 on my system at home. It had bee well over a year
since I looked for any updates to the program, so I clicked on the button to
update the program. Imagine my surprise when I started getting pop-up ads
for a tax prep program. A real BIG surprise since I have a pop-up blocker
installed on my system. My third surprise cam when I closed Money: I had new
desktop shortcuts to Netbank, ING Services and some more garbage I did not
ask for. I ran a scan with SpyBot and found BDE Projector (see
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/BDE.html for details) had been installed ALL
WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE!

This is totally unethical. You can't call it illegal, because if you read
virtually any user's agreement you will find a clause allowing "any of our
associates" to install an / or update *their* software when you request an
update of the program you own. Sometimes that also has clause allowing the
vendor to update their software without your knowledge. If you go the above
link for DoxDesk, a partial scan will be done on your system. Post what you
found hidden on your system.

Luckily, I was immediately aware of this issue and was able to deal with it.
How many people are not aware and have their systems crashed by parasites
installed in this fashion? BDE has this potential*.Since you think are
downloading a legitimate update and get these ancillary programs installed
as well, this action has become termed "drive by" installations: you are a
hapless victim who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

*Please note, there is a legitimate program called BDE, so this is
confusing. The good program is Borland Database Engine and is a useful and
essential tool for connecting to certain databases. The bad one comes from a
company known as Brilliant Digital. The script on DoxDesk and the program
SpyBot differentiates between the two and will not interfere with the
legitimate BDE program.

money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

Other Money users have not reported this. Perhaps Money wasn't involved in
this?

"Major Malfunction" <MajMalfunky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am running Money 2002 on my system at home. It had bee well over a year
> since I looked for any updates to the program, so I clicked on the button
> update the program. Imagine my surprise when I started getting pop-up ads
> for a tax prep program. A real BIG surprise since I have a pop-up blocker
> installed on my system. My third surprise cam when I closed Money: I had
new
> desktop shortcuts to Netbank, ING Services and some more garbage I did not
> ask for. I ran a scan with SpyBot and found BDE Projector (see
> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/BDE.html for details) had been installed
ALL
> WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE!
>
> This is totally unethical. You can't call it illegal, because if you read
> virtually any user's agreement you will find a clause allowing "any of our
> associates" to install an / or update *their* software when you request an
> update of the program you own. Sometimes that also has clause allowing the
> vendor to update their software without your knowledge. If you go the
above
> link for DoxDesk, a partial scan will be done on your system. Post what
you
> found hidden on your system.
>
> Luckily, I was immediately aware of this issue and was able to deal with
it.
> How many people are not aware and have their systems crashed by parasites
> installed in this fashion? BDE has this potential*.Since you think are
> downloading a legitimate update and get these ancillary programs installed
> as well, this action has become termed "drive by" installations: you are a
> hapless victim who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>
> *Please note, there is a legitimate program called BDE, so this is
> confusing. The good program is Borland Database Engine and is a useful and
> essential tool for connecting to certain databases. The bad one comes from
> company known as Brilliant Digital. The script on DoxDesk and the program
> SpyBot differentiates between the two and will not interfere with the
> legitimate BDE program.

03 -> 07 migration EAP unwanted results: unwanted email address for all users
I am near completion of an 03 -> 07 migration I have just upgraded the Email Address Policies to 2007, the non-defualt policies are defined by dept One of the policies appears to have added an unwabted address to default users, this dispite checking (previewing) the filter befire applying How can I remove the unwanted address from the group of users who should only be getting the default polcy? F Hello Frank, > I am near completion of an 03 -> 07 migration > > I have just upgraded the Email Address Policies to 2007, the > non-defualt policies a...

OWA Damanged,but I can't install exchange2003 Sp1 .
My server is Win2003 server standard. installed exchange2003 . for some reason exchange 2003 owa dosn't work. (it works well before.) so I deside to fix it up. I saw some documents ,when install/update exchange2003 with exchange 2003 sp1. it always ask me to do setup/domainprep or setup/forestprep. but I did it. even I do it again , no use. who knows what problems it is? What is your OWA problem/symptoms/issue and installation/upgrade scenario that you performed? "Jeff Hua" <jeffray@wuxi.cngb.com> wrote in message news:OPHRKEWzFHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... &...

Re: unwanted pictures
64, not 54 Anyway, never be concerned with it. It's normal. "Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in message news:efZ2Kq0iKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > > 64, not 54 > > Anyway, never be concerned with it. It's normal. Are you correcting your IQ? You believe your IQ is 64 and not 54? ...

Doing windows updates on SBS 2003
not sure if this is the wrong forum, but we use our SBS 2003 for exchange server and active sync. Thier are a few updates on the task bar that keep popping up and I want to do the updates, but i will have to do them on an evening when people arent here so it can restart and in case thier are problems. I am afraid of doing those windows updates because if something jacks up i might not know how to fix it... (i know alot about computers just not alot about servers).... I was just curious how some of other companies do updates, i heard they have a mirrored server that they do the updates on (a...

Stripping out unwanted date in cell
Hello, I am trying to import a Global address list, but my problem is I need just the smtp address in the cell so i want to strip out all the other junk, here is a couple of examples of what the field could appear like. I need to strip out everything accept for the SMTP:someaddress@someplace.someextension. It could be any extension and it is not always a percent at the beginning or end. SMTP:bubba.cairn@bla.ca%MS:UOF9/UNIVERSITY/bcairn%X400:c=US;a=;p=Uof9;o=Univ ersity?Hall;s=Cairn;g=bubba;%CCMAIL:Cairn, bubba at University_Hall CCMAIL:ssdsexam at STUDENT-SERV%MS:UOF9/STUDENTSER/SSDSEXAM%SMTP...

Update Fails
I am trying to copy my 2005 files from an old PC to a new one. I created a back up file and planned on restoring to the new PC. Howerver, I get a message that states that the on-line update failed and asks if I am still on the internet or if I had less than 100mb of free space. Are there any files that can be copied from the old PC to the new PC to upgrade? Otherwise, what is the fix? FYI, I am also running IE 7 Beta 3. In microsoft.public.money, ericf10 wrote: >I am trying to copy my 2005 files from an old PC to a new one. I created a >back up file and planned on restor...

Updating price sheets
Well as the topic implies, I'm trying to update some price sheets created in Excel. I have several cells with prices in them and I'm trying to increase all of the cells by 5%. Can someone tell me the easiest way to do this? I'm sure I've done this before but I'm at a loss. Thanks! -- -Lawless ------------------------------------------------------------------------ -Lawless's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31164 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=508263 Format an empty cell as Number. Ent...

Importing Files from Hard drive into a Public Folder
Hi, I have developed a knowledge share folder under Public Folders. This folder has a custom form I developed. I need to import files(word docs, excel sheets, pdfs, images, etc) from my hard drive into the knowledge share folder. I need the custom form to populate and attach the imported file. Is this possible? Thanks! Yes, it's possible. You'll need to write code to create a new instance of a custom form programmatically, using the Add method on the target folder's Items collection. You can use the code at http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/getfolder.htm to walk ...

Backing up MO6 on a flash drive.
I am trying to back up my money file on a flash drive. I keep on getting this error message Money has filled the current disk please insert disk 2 into the G drive so that we may continue to build your backup. The flash drive is a new Sandisk micro 4 GB I have 2 MG stored on it. The error message make no sense. Any suggestions. Thanks "heshey" <heshey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB4A5C6F-6AF6-4F21-AF74-2A68759130FD@microsoft.com... >I am trying to back up my money file on a flash drive. I keep on getting >this > error message Money has fille...

From event covering update of any control
I have a form with many controls displaying prices of different items. There are also other controls which determine which price is displayed in any of the first group of controls. I would like to only have to write the formula to total these price controls once. I would like for them to be totaled whenever any control on the form is updated. Is there a specific form event that I can use for this purpose? On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:26:48 -0700, Duck <charles.kendricks@charter.net> wrote: >I have a form with many controls displaying prices of different >items. There are also oth...

Microsoft Update Error Code 57
I have been attempting to have the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 through the Windows Update. Each time it is attempted it fails with a Error Code 57. Boklob wrote: > I have been attempting to have the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 > Service Pack 1 through the Windows Update. Each time it is > attempted it fails with a Error Code 57. Operating System in question (edition and version)? Service Pack level of said Operating System? Start button --> RUN (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard) --> type in: win...

Updating Intellisense in Management Studio query editor
In Management Studio with SQL Server Express 2008, connected to a SQL Server and working in a query editor window, when I write a series of statements that include some that create tables or new columns within tables, the Intellisense doesn't take the new objects into account in code that follows it. Example: ALTER TABLE Foo ADD quantity int NOT NULL GO CREATE PROCEDURE Blah(@id int, @quantity int) AS BEGIN INSERT INTO Foo (id, quantity) VALUES (@id, @quantity) END GO EXEC Blah 35, 15 Intellisense won't give me quantity as an option in the stored procedure...

unwanted pictures
Every day in my "recently changed" file under "DOCUMENTS" I receive hundreds of unwanted pictures.It seems as if they are snapshots from a tv news show. Help Jade -- jadelo22 probably cached images from webpages you visited, or HTML email you opened, or webpages you stored locally but opened several times. Don't be concerned with it, it's stored for faster access in case you open same webpage again and system detect's page hasn't changes since last visit. But with huge RAM memories & fast Internet these days, its usefulness is ...

Mass update of exchange calendar entries
Hello there! We are running Exchange Server 5.5 and Outlook clients in a Citrix Terminal Server environment. All servers, the Exchange server as well as the terminal servers have the flag "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes" disabled in the Windows time zone settings. We now want to change this setting, since we recognized that it is wrong. If we do this, every calendar entry on the Exchange Server, which starts after the time change, will be put ahead by one hour. Is there a tool or a method in order to put every calendar entry one hour behind within a certain ...

No custom forms installed
Hall�chen, wir nutzen hier ein CRM 1.2 (English). Ich mu�te das Postfach eines Benutzers l�schen und ein neues Postfach f�r ihn erstellen. Da sich anschlie�end der Sales for Outlook Client nicht mehr angezeigt wurde (erneutes registrieren der crmaddin.dll hat diesmal nicht gewirkt), habe ich den CRM Client deinstalliert. Bei der anschlie�enden Neuinstallation habe ich die noch vorhandenen lokalen MSDE Datenbanken genutzt. Jetzt bekommt der Anwender beim ersten Zugriff auf die CRM Folder jedesmal die Fehlermeldung 'No custom forms installed'. Ansonsten funktioniert alles. Ist es notw...

No Disk in Drive Error when Start Money
When I start Microsoft Money 2000 Version 8 I get an error message that says There is no disk in drive ..... Please insert disk Retry Cancel Continue Then if I choose continue it starts and runs fine.. The drive is the one used when I installed. If I put ANY disk in that CD drive I do not get the message. This is obviously a bug that should not happen. It is not needed and should not ask. What is the solution as I don't want to have to answer continue every time or keep a CD in the drive. I have already tried remove and reinstall with no change. Try looking through http://groups...

Disconnected network drive.
I have a network hard drive at home setup. From time to time, when the computer is booting, the network drive fails to connect. So when I open Window Explorer it is shown with the little red X next to it's icon. But if I click on the icon in the Explorer, it automatically connects and open the contents of the drive OK. But this is not the case in my C# program that is trying to copy some files from this drive. If the drive fails to connect and I do not make it connected using Windows Explorer then any C# function that is trying to do File.Copy etc. from this drive will fail. What...

Unwanted From field when replying
In Outlook 2003 when I reply to a message the "From" field automatically comes up. It just started doing it, nothing has changed that I know of. When I create a new message it does not appear. When I reply I have to turn it off manually every time. Thanks in advance. ...

Unwanted spaces
In a column, for 3400 rows, How do I get rid of an unwanted space preceding the sentence and make sure the first letter of the sentence is capitalized. This formula should do the trick. =UPPER(LEFT(TRIM(A1)))&RIGHT(TRIM(A1),LEN(TRIM(A1))-1) enter it in a unused column, Copy down and then Copy-Paste Special Values back to column A -- If this helps, please remember to click yes. "LeisaA" wrote: > In a column, for 3400 rows, How do I get rid of an unwanted space preceding > the sentence and make sure the first letter of the sentence is capitalize...

select and update multiple records at the same time
I am working on an Access 2007 front end to an SQL 2005 database. Each record has a binary (check box) to be checked once the work required on the record is performed. How would I allow someone on the datasheet view to select all the records and check them all automatically? How about a range (from x to y records were done)? I suppose I could put a button on the form view (not the datasheet) to mark all as complete, but they would have difficulty verifying it was done. Hi David, if you are comfortable with SQL, you can construct the SQL for an Update Query in code. Al...

Windows CE R3 installation
Hi I post here yet another question about the WindowsCE 6.0 R3 instalation. I encountered the fact, that a library is updated during the R3 installation, but the corresponding source file not. I then had a look at the installer file and saw that there the source code file is missing. Well the library i am talking about is the bthci.lib and the (only one) source code file is \PRIVATE\WINCEOS\COMM\BLUETOOTH\HCI\BASE\hci.cxx Does anybody know about this inconsistency? ...

install BDC on exchange server
Hi i have win2003 server with exchange2003 on domain where DC is win2000 server. I want lunch dcpromo on win2003 to make a BDC everyone know if there are any problem with this server on exchange already installed? Tia Pupo I can't remember what all of the problems are, but running dcpromo on an existing Exchange server (either to promote it to be a DC or to demote it) does cause problems. I strongly recommend avoiding running Exchange on a domain controller. If you simply need to swap some server roles around long enough to upgrade, install Virtual Server and then install a vi...

stock updates #2
Hi, I have a strange problem. I use Money 2003 with Windows XP and I used to be able to update my portfolio prices online. But now, when I click on update prices, the only option it gives me is to update prices manually. The last time it updated online was 9/14. Any suggestions? At the bottom when I click on internet updates and customize updates, there is a place for quotes and exchange rates, but it will not let me check that box, it's grayed out. Thanks M03 Standard? And the quotes support period expired??? "Michelle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>...

installing publisher #2
I downloaded the 2007 Publisher. My computer froze while I was installing the program. Now I do not know where the file is located so that I can continue installing the program. I need some help. We have no way of knowing where you told your computer to put that file. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "scaleader" <scaleader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C995ADBF-37DC-40CA-8576-CF8BAB6FE2FC@microsoft.com... >I downloaded the 2007 Publisher. My computer froze while I was ...

unwanted font changes
I have a co-worker using Excel 97 SR-2. When she opens up a spreadsheet, the font will change from Arial to any other font available on her system. She has to highlight the worksheet and change the font back. The Style default is set for Arial. Can you tell me how to stop this from happening? Thanks Kelly Kelly, Not sure what is happening here, but one remote possibility might be that excel is having problems handling an excess of styles. If this is just happening with one particular workbook, there's a utility on my site that you could try on the workbook that helps you clean ...