Unable to Open a backup file (Money 2004) on a new computer

Though I am computer savvy, MS Money is driving me crazy.  Last year I have
installed Money 2004 on my laptop and used it once a month to download
transactions.  Everytime I close money, I get a new file created on my hard
disk with the name "My Money Backup ++.mbf", where + indicates a number.  I
always open the latest .mbf file to access the information.  Now I have
purchased a new laptop and installed Money 2004 on that as well.  I have
copied the latest .mbf file from my old laptop onto a diskette and tried to
open it from the new laptop in vain.  Whatever I do, I get stuck at the
log-in screen, which asks me for sing-in name and password.  I enter my
passport sign-in name and password and I get the following message
"The sign-in attempt for ****** was unsuccessful.  Please try your sing-in
name and password again".
I can sign-in using the same name and password on my old laptop and as well
as hotmail.com and I can't do it on my new laptop.  This is driving me crazy.
 I need help badly..  Please anyone out there?

Sam
0
SAM4137 (239)
9/5/2005 11:40:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Sam wrote:

>Though I am computer savvy, MS Money is driving me crazy.  Last year I have
>installed Money 2004 on my laptop and used it once a month to download
>transactions.  Everytime I close money, I get a new file created on my hard
>disk with the name "My Money Backup ++.mbf", where + indicates a number.  I
>always open the latest .mbf file to access the information.  Now I have
>purchased a new laptop and installed Money 2004 on that as well.  I have
>copied the latest .mbf file from my old laptop onto a diskette and tried to
>open it from the new laptop in vain.  Whatever I do, I get stuck at the
>log-in screen, which asks me for sing-in name and password.  I enter my
>passport sign-in name and password and I get the following message
>"The sign-in attempt for ****** was unsuccessful.  Please try your sing-in
>name and password again".
>I can sign-in using the same name and password on my old laptop and as well
>as hotmail.com and I can't do it on my new laptop.  This is driving me crazy.
> I need help badly..  Please anyone out there?

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891338

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
9/5/2005 11:46:00 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Sam wrote:

>Though I am computer savvy, MS Money is driving me crazy.  Last year I have
>installed Money 2004 on my laptop and used it once a month to download
>transactions.  Everytime I close money, I get a new file created on my hard
>disk with the name "My Money Backup ++.mbf", where + indicates a number.  I
>always open the latest .mbf file to access the information.  Now I have
>purchased a new laptop and installed Money 2004 on that as well.  I have
>copied the latest .mbf file from my old laptop onto a diskette and tried to
>open it from the new laptop in vain.  Whatever I do, I get stuck at the
>log-in screen, which asks me for sing-in name and password.  I enter my
>passport sign-in name and password and I get the following message
>"The sign-in attempt for ****** was unsuccessful.  Please try your sing-in
>name and password again".
>I can sign-in using the same name and password on my old laptop and as well
>as hotmail.com and I can't do it on my new laptop.  This is driving me crazy.
> I need help badly..  Please anyone out there?

ps. When you use
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891338 start
with "Method 7".

In fact, you can start with method 7, step 7.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
9/5/2005 11:47:43 PM
Apart from Cal's answers note that the .mbf file is a backup for emergency
use. More typically the .mny file is your main Money file and we would
normally say copy that around using a memory stick.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see
For wishes or suggestions see
or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Though I am computer savvy, MS Money is driving me crazy.  Last year I
> have
> installed Money 2004 on my laptop and used it once a month to download
> transactions.  Everytime I close money, I get a new file created on my
> hard
> disk with the name "My Money Backup ++.mbf", where + indicates a number.
> always open the latest .mbf file to access the information.  Now I have
> purchased a new laptop and installed Money 2004 on that as well.  I have
> copied the latest .mbf file from my old laptop onto a diskette and tried
> open it from the new laptop in vain.  Whatever I do, I get stuck at the
> log-in screen, which asks me for sing-in name and password.  I enter my
> passport sign-in name and password and I get the following message
> "The sign-in attempt for ****** was unsuccessful.  Please try your sing-in
> name and password again".
> I can sign-in using the same name and password on my old laptop and as
> well
> as hotmail.com and I can't do it on my new laptop.  This is driving me
> crazy.
> I need help badly..  Please anyone out there?
>
> Sam

0
Bob_Peel4015 (409)
9/6/2005 5:45:33 AM
Cal,

For some strange reason still no luck.  After I have run - regsvr32
Msxml3.dll - I got the message DllRegisterServer in Msxml3.dll succeeded.
Now I open the My Money.mny file to find the same old error "The Sign-in
Attempt for **** was unsuccessful.  Please try your sign-in name and password
again".  In fact, I have tried everything mentioned in the link you have
pointed out including re-installation of money.  I am lost and I have no clue
how to proceed with opening my file!  Could you please post your views on
this?

Bob,

Thanks for the information.  But as I said above, I have no luck with either
..mny or .mbf!!  Could you please help me out?

--- Sam
0
SAM4137 (239)
9/7/2005 3:45:05 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:

>In microsoft.public.money, Sam wrote:
>
>>Though I am computer savvy, MS Money is driving me crazy.  Last year I have
>>installed Money 2004 on my laptop and used it once a month to download
>>transactions.  Everytime I close money, I get a new file created on my hard
>>disk with the name "My Money Backup ++.mbf", where + indicates a number.  I
>>always open the latest .mbf file to access the information.  Now I have
>>purchased a new laptop and installed Money 2004 on that as well.  I have
>>copied the latest .mbf file from my old laptop onto a diskette and tried to
>>open it from the new laptop in vain.  Whatever I do, I get stuck at the
>>log-in screen, which asks me for sing-in name and password.  I enter my
>>passport sign-in name and password and I get the following message
>>"The sign-in attempt for ****** was unsuccessful.  Please try your sing-in
>>name and password again".
>>I can sign-in using the same name and password on my old laptop and as well
>>as hotmail.com and I can't do it on my new laptop.

I would make a copy of your Money file on the old laptop (use a new
name). Open that file. Remove the Passport. Save the file. Copy that
file to the new computer using a USB flash drive to carry the file
between computers. See if you can open that file.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

VB.NET Web Programmer in New York $40/hr
VB.NET Web Programmer in New York $40/hr We are looking for someone to work as a VB.NET Web Developer. In this role, you will design and develop application software for a successful global corporation. You will also support and install software applications. Additional duties are to participate in the testing process and utilize formal development methodologies. A bachelor's degree is required and a BSCS is preferred. Candidates must have skills in: Microsoft .NET (ASP.NET, VB.NET) and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0/2000. 2-4 years of experience in applications programming for a major corpora...

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

Unable to open calendar

Upgrading from Money 2006 Trial
Greetings, I originally installed from a trial download and just purchased Money 2006 Delux on CD from a store near me (Staples). Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not I need to actually install the software from the CD, or if its as simple as entering a license key somewhere? If I install from the CD will it automatically recognize all of the accounts I already set up? Thanks "tfritsch" <tfritsch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8595F50C-11FB-4F0D-A89F-A3CE4EF904DE@microsoft.com... > Greetings, > > I originally installed from a trial ...

Windows Server Backup
I want to go through the restoration process of Exchange date - the entire database, individual mailboxes, emails etc. My lab setup is as follows (all in a vmware machine):- Windows Server 2008 Exchange 2007 (32-bit/sp1/eval) Email flow etc works fine. I've taken a full backup using windows server backup. When I come to restore the backup in the Select recovery type screen the option for Applications is greyed out. It says that you can recover applications that have registered with Windows Server Backup. I need to find out how to get Exchange to register with Window...

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

unable to scroll the page

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

My New NG post never get there, but they show in "Sent"
Recently I noticed that any new post will never get posted, but it did show up in my sent folder. I wonder if it has anything to do with me changing from OE to Outlook for my email. Your help is appreciated............Peter Nothing to do with OL, OE is the default newsreader, though it may be accessed within OL or IE. I do see a post in this ng from you, dated 2nd "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message news:q9udnYzlyfK8ILDfRVn-sQ@omsoft.com... > Recently I noticed that any new post will never get posted, but it did show > up in my sent folder. I wonder if it...

Creating new record types in CRM 3.0 possible?
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to create a new record type within CRM 3.0 because although the default CRM record types will be used (like client and business) our current database has all of the information for both in the same database. The idea is to create a 'temp' record type for us to add the database to, and then allow us to go through the database and move/link the information from the 'temp' record type into the correct record type afterwards. Is this at all possible or is there another simple solution to this problem? Thanks Hez Sorry if this question has ...

MS Money bacdkup issue
I backed up MS Money before I refromatted my HD. I installed Money after reformatting an am trying to restore with the backup. It is asking me for a password before it will do the restore. I don't have a record of ever creating one and I am usually pretty good about keeping track of that stuff. Futhermore, it isn't letting me continue when I try to use the obvious passwords that I almost always use on things like this. I am not even sure how to ask Microsoft to reset the password. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I just restored a backup on mine, and u...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

Why can't I open any email jokes that friends send me with excel
I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I can't open them why? 1. Do you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? 2. What is the extension of the attachments with the jokes? Is it somejoke.XLS ? I never heard of Excel being a joke transporter but who knows? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:54:00 -0700, Leona <Leona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I >can't open them why? Its because Excel is only for serious work except, of c...

Duplex printing in Word 2004 and Leopard

Unable to conect