The future of personal finance management tools?

Show Me My Money
What's the best software for keeping track of your personal finances?

http://www.slate.com/id/2201631/
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

I'd give the guy credit for actually using the software -- at least Money and
Quicken -- as opposed to some of the annual reviews and reviewers, who appear
to copy and paste directly from marketing news releases.

Some of the names are new, and web only, it seems.  Interesting enough to take
a look at them.

And I'd also comment on his Money experiences: His bank charging him $10 to
download data. He needs to change banks, unless he's making up for this in the
form of super high interest rates paid on his demand accounts.

And the statement "Money 'stores your bank passwords in a Microsoft data
center...'" is incorrect. It stores your Live ID/Passport password, but your
local Money datafile stores your bank passwords.  Unless he's using Yodlee,
which I don't do, and don't keep up with. So maybe in his case the passwords
are stored on some server.  And if he's using Yodlee and paying a bank $10 per
month to download, yikes.

Dick Watson wrote:
> Show Me My Money
> What's the best software for keeping track of your personal finances?
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2201631/
0
Retired

a brand new query tool is out on beta, we need feedback, so you get a free copy #3
We at Nob Hill Software are working on a new query tool: http://www.nobhillsoft.com/MarieAlix.aspx?HeardVia=ptut You can read all about it on the above web page, but basically, its a very ambitious project to create what we call 'the query tool to end all query tools': everything you ever wanted, desired, dreamed about in a query tool, and then some. For that, we need people who will download it, use it, tell us what they think, what's good and what's not, and what they would like to see in the future. This program has been going on since winter 2009, and so far we've m...

OL2003 -- Personal Folders
I installed OL2003 back in January. For some reason (that I obviously didn't pay attention to at the time), OL created an Outlook1.pst file, which is being used in addition to the Outlook.pst file. They are not identical files -- the Outlook.pst is much bigger -- it was obviously copied over from an earlier version. Outlook will not run without either of the files, and both of them contain different information. I'd like to run with only one .pst file, but I'm not sure how to do this. Help! Thanks, Tom Mighell Select one or the other as the default. Then drag and...

Future
As MS is closing the NewsGroups in favour of the "Forums", I'm wondering in which Forum the users of WinMail might meet again in the future. The process of killing the NGs is progressive. The majority of the German groups does no longer exist and the rest is reduced day by day. {siiigh} I could not yet detect a forum which would fit for WinMail. Does anybody know more than poor Me? TIA Rainald Microsoft has recommended the following replacement forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/vistanetworking/threads Gary VanderMolen, Micro...

Outlook 2003 hanging in task manager
Outlook 2003 connected to exchange 2003 hangs in the task manager and has to be manually closed before it can be opened again. All add-ins have been disabled and the profile has also been rebuilt with no avail. Any help would be appreciated. ...

CONTEXT_INFO
Hi, We're thinking about using CONTEXT_INFO to pass username to the audit trail triggers. Is this wise? Are there any plans to deprecate CONTEXT_INFO in a future version? Can anyone confirm that it's still in 2010 (and not deprecated)? The other option would be to add username as a field to every table and pass it in all stored procs. Any opinions as to which is better? And anyone got any other clever ideas as to how to pass username to audit trail triggers? We are not using delegation. N.B. We are using many tableadapters on the app so will not have a centralised place...

Manage Licenses
I have users in CRM that were attached to log-on profiles. Unforutnately somebody has deleted the user profile on the SBS server before the CRM user. I cannot now get into the CRM user to remove the license information, it says they are not in the active directory. The reason I noticed this is when I try to add the license to a new CRM user it says; "You must change your license selections as at least one of them is not available". I'm assuming that the disabled users are taking up all my licenses. How can I remove the license from a CRM user, when the logon no longer ex...

Sharing Calendar with personal dist list
I have been asked to find a way for people to share their calendars with personal distributions lists. Is this possible? Thanks! Wes If you in an Exchange environment and are talking about Exchange distribution lists; yes, you can. Just like you normally set permissions. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "stahlerw" <stahlerw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:258B3114-9ADE-4B8E-8184-7BE8FC09EDA8@microso...

merge a Sharepoint calendar with personal calendar
Is there a way to put all the information from a Sharepoint calendar to your personal calendar? I searched in the help in Outlook 2003 for information on it but it only deals with individual meetings which would mean I would have to open each meeting and going to Actions and adding it to my personal calendar. Jackson You can copy all the items from the SharePoint calendar into your default Calendar folder. Start in the By Category view, select all, then Ctrl+drag. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users,...

Managed Service Account
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CABBFD.9060E670 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I do not see an option to create a Managed service Account using = ADCU/ADAC, how can this be enabled? While i understand using powershell = is the recommended way to create Managed Service Accounts, i would like = to know what is the difference in an MSA object that is created using = GUI and PS. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CABBFD.9060E670 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1...

Unable to Login to view Public Folders through Exchange 2003 System Manager
Hi We are running Exchange 2003 Server (as part of the MS SBS 2003 Server Suite). I have recently tried to access the public folders from within the System Manager. When I expand the 'Folders' folder and click on 'Public Folders' the System Manager prompts me to enter a network password. The Username shows {mydomain}\administrator. I've tried to type in the administrator password (which I can successfully use to login to the console) but this eventually fails with the message: Access Denied Facility: Win32 ID no: 80070005 Exchange System Manager I know I used to ...

Future of Access
I keep hearing people say around my office that access is no longer supported? is this the case now?? have read some threads but are a few years old. I like access and will be disapointed if it is on the way out.... Of course it's not the case. Office 2010 was just released, and Access is in it, with brand new functionality. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele (no e-mails, please!) "StuJol" <StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECF011C6-26FE-4962-87A1-13BDF8655B0C@microsoft.com... >I keep hearing ...

open boss's personal folders and mine at the same time
How do I setup my outlook2003 so I can have my boss's personal folders and mine, both open at the same time? Thanks. -- bic File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... But only one of you can have access to it at a time. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Alert in Outlook 2003 ----- "bic" <bic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91D4AEDD-5752-40F5-B92B-CB416894801F@microsoft.com... > How do I setup my outlook2003 so I can have...

CRM and Sharepoint Integration Tools / Field Level Security
I am reviewing two tools by c360. One is Field Level Security and the other is their SharePoint integratioin with CRM. Is anyone aware of any comprable tools to these from other vendors? Thanks ...

Intergration Manager 9.0
I am stumped on how to resolve installing Integration Manager 9.0 on a windows 7 machine. I keep receiving the following message "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2738." I read that this was an issue and it has been resolved but i couldnt find the patch/exe to fix it. Has it not been release yet? Did i miss it? I am not sure if this is why you are getting the error, but to my knowledge GP 9.0 (and thus IM 9.0) is not supported on Windows 7: https://mbs.micros...

Money 2007 Personal & business
Hi Just wondering if there is a way to install Money 2007 using Australian settings. This trial only allows US states & doesn't allow the change to kilometres or metric in the vehicle expenses. Is there a way of changing this at all? Thanking you in advance Linda Afraid not. Also if you are a previous user of the Australian version you won't be able to convert your existing .mny very easily. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not s...

Outlook:can't send email (no function to add under tools)
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "H" <H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E395BA5D-84A1-4C39-BC79-F458E1113596@microsoft.com... | ...

personal.xls in Excel 2003
I am running Excel 2003 on XP. In C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart I have book.xlt, book1.xlt (my custom workbook) and personal.xls. When I open Excel, at the top it reads personal.xls. Shouldn't it read book1? Macros run fine. Anything wrong here? Thanks. With personal.xls the active workbook, hit Window|Hide. Then close excel and answer yes to save personal.xls as a hidden workbook. Is there a reason you don't just use book.xlt as your custom workbook template? Then you could dump book1.xlt. Bob wrote: > > I am running Excel 2003 on XP. In C:\Program ...

X & Z Report Lockdown in Microsoft Retail Management System
Cashiers can access X & Z report data through the Journal (F4) lookup feature and essentially piece together yearly store sales data. We have clients who want cashiers to be able to lookup individual sales receipts using the Journal (F4) feature, but would like to block cashiers from viewing previous/current X & Z reports. RMS administrators should not have to block the entire "Journal (F4)" button in order to prevent cashiers from accessing unlimited and confidential post-sales info. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to th...

Suddenly I cannot hear other person with Windows Line Messenger 20
I am using Windows 7 Pro and suddenly I cannot hear the other person when using Windows Live Messenger 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726). Skype works fine. Messenger worked fine. Could this be an update that caused this it happen? Greetings Oliver, Any updates of software/hardware on your contacts' side? Also and most importantly, is the green bar on the left moving at all (showing volume level) when you've initiated a conversation or not? Just a starting a point, both you and your contact may want to go through the Audio and video setup to make sure the correct sound devic...

Upgrade from Personal Folder to a Unicode
I want to upgrade my old Personal Folder to a Unicode one to increase the size of my file. I have created a Unicode folder (and called it Mail Folder) and selected File > Import and Export. I selected 'import from another program' and 'personal file folder'(.pst), then browsed for my outlook.pst folder. After clicking 'next' I get 'The personal files folder (.pst) is already in use in the current profile. I haven't been able to find out what to do next. Would appreciate some help. (I'm using Outlook 2007 which was upgraded from an earlier version ...

Is Free/Busy Dead on Personal Server?
I have been trying for days to get a Free/Busy server setup without Exchange. Has Microsoft "fixed" Outlook so that ftp:// and http:// will not work in Outlook? I have been able to get Outlook to publish with ftp:// but it will only read from local files not ftp:// or http://. Steve What version of Outlook? Do you need permissions to write to the servers? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: h...

Personal.xls #9
I have a Personal.xls workbook in my C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART area. In this workbook I have some macros that I would like to be accessible whenever I use Excel. Over the past couple of days I've developed a problem where all of the spreadsheets I open show that 'Personal.xls is locked for editing by 'ME!'. This is affecting linking and auto transfering of data. I've gone to my Personal.xls file, and when I attempt to open it directly... it again show that I'm locking it. How can I correct this problem? Cathy Excel...

The future of all computing
Is passing Kevin by. Has passed him by for years. ...

Requisition Manager Email Notifications
I have a question. One of our purchase request approvers in Hong Kong would like the email notification that is sent out when a request is ready to be approved to contain the link that will take them directly to the correct company and appropriate purchase request. Some of the approvers are responsible for approving purchase requests in four different companies. Is there a way to make the link in the notifccation email go directly to the correct company and purchase request instead of to the purchasing page? Thanks, Anna ...

Beta testing Exchange IMF Archive Manager
I have written some ASP webpages to manage emails in the IMF Archive directory, and are looking for a few people to beta test them before I upload for general use. Regards Daryl Maunder Midnight Oil Computing I would be intrested in using this. We are currently deploying Exchange IMF. "Daryl Maunder" <dmaunder.nospam@midnightoil.nospam.com.nospam.au> wrote in message news:<OnA3vE5SEHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>... > I have written some ASP webpages to manage emails in the IMF Archive > directory, and are looking for a few people to beta test them before I >...