Thanks Microsoft

I used the MSMoney -> Quicken converter facility in Quicken 2010 to
import many years of data. The converter did an excellent job. There
were a few mistakes, but I was able to correct these. Recent posts to
this news group indicate that Intuit will update the converter
facility in November, addressing all of the mistakes that I found.

As far as I can tell, my financial data is in good shape, and I have
no need to re-do the conversion process in November.

My own reading indicates that Microsoft and Intuit cooperated in order
to make the conversion software successful. I am disappointed that
Microsoft discontinued the Money product. Considering the success of
the conversion software, I believe that Microsoft was honorable and
decent about it. My financial data is safe for now. Thanks Microsoft.
--
David Arnstein                       (00)
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com          {{   }}

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:20:33 +0000 (UTC), arnstein@panix.com (David
Arnstein) wrote:

>I used the MSMoney -> Quicken converter facility in Quicken 2010 to
>import many years of data. The converter did an excellent job. There
>were a few mistakes, but I was able to correct these. Recent posts to
>this news group indicate that Intuit will update the converter
>facility in November, addressing all of the mistakes that I found.
>
>As far as I can tell, my financial data is in good shape, and I have
>no need to re-do the conversion process in November.
>
>My own reading indicates that Microsoft and Intuit cooperated in order
>to make the conversion software successful. I am disappointed that
>Microsoft discontinued the Money product. Considering the success of
>the conversion software, I believe that Microsoft was honorable and
>decent about it. My financial data is safe for now. Thanks Microsoft.

I'm hoping that, with MS no longer a competitor and Quicken getting
most of the previous MS market share of software buyers, they can
afford to really put some effort into making Quicken better than
either Money or Quicken could ever have become while competing for
market share. Maybe Quicken will pick up some of the best features of
Money and incorporate them into some future version.

I especially liked Money's Portfolio Report. I would like to see this
kind of report available in Quicken.

Gordon
It seems to me that without significant competition, Intuit now has even
less motivation to invest in Quicken improvements.  Intuit now has a
captive audience that has nowhere else to go.

"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE@swbell.net> wrote in message
>>My own reading indicates that Microsoft and Intuit cooperated in order
>>to make the conversion software successful. I am disappointed that
>>Microsoft discontinued the Money product. Considering the success of
>>the conversion software, I believe that Microsoft was honorable and
>>decent about it. My financial data is safe for now. Thanks Microsoft.
>>
> I'm hoping that, with MS no longer a competitor and Quicken getting
> most of the previous MS market share of software buyers, they can
> afford to really put some effort into making Quicken better than
> either Money or Quicken could ever have become while competing for
> market share. Maybe Quicken will pick up some of the best features of
> Money and incorporate them into some future version.
>
> I especially liked Money's Portfolio Report. I would like to see this
> kind of report available in Quicken.
>
> Gordon

0
Brent
10/29/2009 10:57:28 PM
I see what you are saying, but the flip side of this is that the
Intuit people surely know that if they don't keep abreast of the
market, someone else will take the lead and they will be out of the
running. They are now in a position to make a big stride forward that
would be hard for any of the smaller software makers to match. They
are out of the gate and running with a head start. I really doubt they
will back off or lessen their attention to new and better software.

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:57:28 -0600, "Brent" <undefined> wrote:

>It seems to me that without significant competition, Intuit now has even
>less motivation to invest in Quicken improvements.  Intuit now has a
>captive audience that has nowhere else to go.
>

>"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE@swbell.net> wrote in message
>>>My own reading indicates that Microsoft and Intuit cooperated in order
>>>to make the conversion software successful. I am disappointed that
>>>Microsoft discontinued the Money product. Considering the success of
>>>the conversion software, I believe that Microsoft was honorable and
>>>decent about it. My financial data is safe for now. Thanks Microsoft.
>>>
>> I'm hoping that, with MS no longer a competitor and Quicken getting
>> most of the previous MS market share of software buyers, they can
>> afford to really put some effort into making Quicken better than
>> either Money or Quicken could ever have become while competing for
>> market share. Maybe Quicken will pick up some of the best features of
>> Money and incorporate them into some future version.
>>
>> I especially liked Money's Portfolio Report. I would like to see this
>> kind of report available in Quicken.
>>
>> Gordon

> the Intuit people surely know that if they don't keep abreast of the
> market, someone else will take the lead and they will be out of the
> running......

Who is this competition that will take the lead?

>I really doubt they
> will back off or lessen their attention to new and better software.

I really doubt that they will not back off since they have no competition
(Moneydance is the only semi-serious alternative but it is miles behind Q
and will probably stay that way indefinitely).

Regards

Bill Wood

0
nospam7515 (2086)
10/29/2009 11:44:00 PM
Mint.com?

"William R Wood" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Who is this competition that will take the lead?

Mint?  I was referring to serious competition (I know you were pulling my
leg, of course).  :)

For others who might wonder why I don't like Mint, here are two reasons
(there are many more):

1)  Under no circumstances would I put my data online.

2)  And under no circumstances would I consider a Free service.  You get
what you pay for.

Regards,

Bill Wood

message news:u8GYeVQWKHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Mint.com?
>
> "William R Wood" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Who is this competition that will take the lead?

0
nospam7515 (2086)
10/30/2009 2:03:36 PM
This is a moot issue anyway. Intuit purchased Mint a couple of months ago for
$170 million dollars. No competition from them. They're all part of the same
family now.

- Byron Followell

"William R Wood" wrote:

> Mint?  I was referring to serious competition (I know you were pulling my
> leg, of course).  :)
>
> For others who might wonder why I don't like Mint, here are two reasons
> (there are many more):
>
> 1)  Under no circumstances would I put my data online.
>
> 2)  And under no circumstances would I consider a Free service.  You get
> what you pay for.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Wood
>

> "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
> message news:u8GYeVQWKHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> > Mint.com?
> >
> > "William R Wood" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Who is this competition that will take the lead?
> >

> .

When I heard about MS dumping Money I tried Quicken Online, I don't like it
at all, maybe if I had an iPhone I'd feel differently. I tried mint.com, and
like it but I'm also not at ease with that data being on a "Cloud".
(Sidenote, if you use its status emails it sends your account balance out in
unsecure email, who'd do that!) With Intuit buying mint.com it also makes me
less interested in using it. I guess I'll be buying Quicken, but I'll try
Excel first, I've seen MS push that somewhere (maybe that is the better
option).

I think our best hope is for another company to come out with a product,
which is realistic with MS out of the game. After all, if you had a great
product and MS and Google announced they were entering the market next year,
you'd be dead.

"Byron Followell" wrote:

> This is a moot issue anyway. Intuit purchased Mint a couple of months ago for
> $170 million dollars. No competition from them. They're all part of the same
> family now.
>
> - Byron Followell
>

> "William R Wood" wrote:
>
> > Mint?  I was referring to serious competition (I know you were pulling my
> > leg, of course).  :)
> >
> > For others who might wonder why I don't like Mint, here are two reasons
> > (there are many more):
> >
> > 1)  Under no circumstances would I put my data online.
> >
> > 2)  And under no circumstances would I consider a Free service.  You get
> > what you pay for.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bill Wood
> >

> > "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
> > message news:u8GYeVQWKHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> > > Mint.com?
> > >
> > > "William R Wood" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > .

0
Tim6814 (325)
11/3/2009 5:21:01 PM
Compared to the work required to build a personal finance tracking tool
starting with a blank Excel spreadsheet, buying a second hand copy of Money
2000 based on the Jet database (used by Access) is a very inexpensive
solution.

I would be very surprised if you could make your Excel solution retrieve
share prices automatically or bill-pay from your bank account.

Very few people will have needed the so called improvements that Microsoft
made to Money 2000 over the years - but, like MS, you may agree that the
'Budget' feature was just too difficult and simply had to be 'dumbed down' -
you might also like advertising.

Very few people I suspect (based on posts to this newsgroup) make anything
like full use of 'Reports' to get maximum value out of the program.

The bottom line is that the program didn't really need to be reinvented year
on year any more than antivirus programs really need to be reinvented. MS,
unlike Symantec, simply got the pricing model wrong. If Money had been sold
with an annual subscription allowing access to servers and financial
services, much as extended virus definitions are sold, then MS would have a
steady income stream from the product. Symantec periodically improve their
virus engine and throw that in with their definition updates, MS could have
done the same (ideally making dumb budgets optional for end users).

teabag

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I heard about MS dumping Money I tried Quicken Online, I don't like
> it
> at all, maybe if I had an iPhone I'd feel differently. I tried mint.com,
> and
> like it but I'm also not at ease with that data being on a "Cloud".
> (Sidenote, if you use its status emails it sends your account balance out
> in
> unsecure email, who'd do that!) With Intuit buying mint.com it also makes
> me
> less interested in using it. I guess I'll be buying Quicken, but I'll try
> Excel first, I've seen MS push that somewhere (maybe that is the better
> option).
>
> I think our best hope is for another company to come out with a product,
> which is realistic with MS out of the game. After all, if you had a great
> product and MS and Google announced they were entering the market next
> year,
> you'd be dead.

0
nobody3086 (71)
11/5/2009 8:00:38 AM
Not that difficult, actually.

You can use Microsoft Query in Excel to essentially "screen scrape"
virtually anything.

"teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> I would be very surprised if you could make your Excel solution
> retrieve share prices automatically or bill-pay from your bank
> account.

0
Brent
11/6/2009 11:10:08 PM
Qualification: share prices, not bill-pay.

"Brent" <undefined> wrote in message
> Not that difficult, actually.
>
> You can use Microsoft Query in Excel to essentially "screen scrape"
> virtually anything.
>

> "teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>> I would be very surprised if you could make your Excel solution
>> retrieve share prices automatically or bill-pay from your bank
>> account.

0
Brent

How to reinstall the microsoft exchange server
I have outlook 2003 and windows live was tryingto make it compatible with windows live and somehow deleted my microsoft exchange server and now I cannot open outlook...__ lje ...

Thanks Microsoft
I used the MSMoney -> Quicken converter facility in Quicken 2010 to import many years of data. The converter did an excellent job. There were a few mistakes, but I was able to correct these. Recent posts to this news group indicate that Intuit will update the converter facility in November, addressing all of the mistakes that I found. As far as I can tell, my financial data is in good shape, and I have no need to re-do the conversion process in November. My own reading indicates that Microsoft and Intuit cooperated in order to make the conversion software successful. I am disappointed tha...

Microsoft Money 2004 #5
From: "DB" <db@bp.com.au> Subject: Reclassify an Investment from a STock to a Money market intestment Date: Sunday, 16 October 2005 5:55 PM How do I reclassify Reclassify an Investment from a Stock to a Money market intestment ...

Closing the Microsoft News Groups
I have installed NNTPBridge. It is titled "127.0.0.1 and the only set of groups has something to do with MSDN. However, I cannot find the way to download and get subscribed to the groups that are equivalent to the Microsoft Communities newsgroups. Does anyone know if there is a simple procedure somewhere that explains just how to do this? Thanks, Gordo See: http://windowslive.com/Connect/Post/62babfee-b5f5-4ace-ba40-cebb731de8a8 gordo wrote: > I have installed NNTPBridge. It is titled "127.0.0.1 and the only set of > groups has something to do with ...

thank!
Thank you very mauch! ...

Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server
Hello everyone! We're diving into CRM 3.0. The web based testing phase ran well and we're now trying to play with the outlook desktop client. During the setup, I get the following error: "Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down." I've tried modifying the default_client_config.xml file with the server ip address, the netbios name and eventually the FQDN. All failed. The web version, however, was reachable in all cases. I also tried increasing my privileges to local administrator after some google search, the error ...

Microsoft Office 2004 WEB COMPONENT #2
Hi, Will Microsoft OFFICE 2004 have the WEB COMPONENT Tool for SAFARI or INTERNET EXPLORER? Bye. ...

Thanks!
Thanks Doug: I found a short object name that access NOW does not reconize. I changed the short object name to full object name and everything then compiled fine. Again Thanks! ...

Microsoft outlook crash
Why do I get a "user.exe" and "user32.dll" error when I try to open my contancts on Microsoft Outlook 2002? ...

tHANK yOU
bY __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3948 (20090319) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com Spam! mohammad wrote: > bY > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3948 (20090319) __________ > > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. > > http://www.eset.com Stop spamming the newsgroups with your personal choice for an antivirus program. The text appended to your post makes you appear an id...

Acceptable barcode formats for Microsoft RMS
Does anyone know where I can find a list of bar code formats accepted by the Microsoft RMS software? MSSNONE MSS2OF5 MSSINTERLEAVED2OF5 MSS3OF9 MSSCODABAR MSS3OF9X MSSCODE128A MSSCODE128B MSSCODE128C MSSUPCA MSSMSI MSSCODE93 MSSEXTENDEDCODE93 MSSEAN13 MSSEAN8 MSSPOSTNET MSSANSI3OF9 MSSANSI3OF9X MSSCODE128AUTO MSSUCCEAN128 MSSUPCE "WIS PUBS" wrote: > Does anyone know where I can find a list of bar code formats accepted by the > Microsoft RMS software? Different formats are used for different purposes. A good generic to use if your print...

Microsoft Outlook requires password but not the same as login password
Hi I have logged into the microsoft domain network successfully and then when I try to open Microsoft Outlook it asks me for a password, I put the same password in with the same login details but it will not accept this. What can this be - it is happening on 2 users only - the other users are fine - they just log into the network and are able to open Microsoft Outlook without having to further put in a password. Please help. Thanks in advance. Em I assume this is an Exchange connection? See if this KB article applies to you http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321652 -- Robert Sparnaaij [...

Microsoft Office X #2
A file saved to a removable medium and transported to a PC based machine shows 2 icons for that file,(only one is shown on the Mac) one can be opened and one cannot. The same occurs when a file is emailed to a PC. 2 files is shown and only one can be opened. How can this be fixed On 2004-02-25 21:19:39 -0700, "Kit" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> said: > A file saved to a removable medium and transported to a PC based > machine shows 2 icons for that file,(only one is shown on the Mac) one > can be opened and one cannot. The same occurs when a file is...

Thank You
Thanks to all who have helped me over the years with Win98, XP, and now 7. Much appreciated. And, I hope that I assisted via a few of my posts. Microsoft forums are a step backward compared to this means of communication, in my humble opinion. ciao shellyf wrote: > Microsoft forums are a step backward compared to this means of > communication, in my humble opinion. Did you even ask your NSP (EasyNews) if they will be dropping the microsoft.* newsgroups? They probably arent. Giganews isn't dropping the microsoft.* newsgroups. Google Groups probably won't, eith...

Microsoft .net Framework update
For the last two days the computer has been trying to add a new update "Mircosoft .NET Framwork 1.1 SP1" on my computer. Currently I have SP3 loaded and working with Windows XP professional. It fails on the download, fails on a install from re-start and fails from a direct internet install ERROR Ox643. What solutions do you have? Bill See and try the following. If issue still persists post back http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070643 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by e...

the disadvantages of microsoft publisher
i' am doing my coursework and i can't find anything about the advantages and disadvantages of microsoft publisher and power point i would appreciate it if someone could help me burn41 <burn41@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > i' am doing my coursework and i can't find anything about the > advantages and disadvantages of microsoft publisher and power point i > would appreciate it if someone could help me With regards to what circumstances? I mean, if you want to do an animated presentation, Microsoft Publisher has plenty of disadv...

Thank-you
Just a quick note the say thank-you to many of the contributors to this forum especially but not only Jeff, Convoluted, Matt, Afshin, Akber, Bill, and many other that I forgot their names. May you have a peaceful holiday season and a prosperous new year. PS. For those who will be doing inventory - may everything be stress free and work-out for you. Danny Likewise, happy holidays to you Danny. I have probably learned more on this newsgroup (and other RMS newsgroups) than I learned taking the so-called RMS "certification". So I would also like to jump on Danny's mes...

Microsoft Word 12-15-09
Why wont my keyboard type in Word/ Does the message "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked" appear somewhere? If so, than you either haven't activated your copy of Office or your trial version is over and you have to pay for it. Yves "dynamictravel" <dynamictravel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB0D7C3A-1375-4319-B6F6-37A3BEC66556@microsoft.com... > Why wont my keyboard type in Word/ ...

Check patch from the Microsoft
--mhqkfvawbpuihus Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pfhtuhkmduf"; type="multipart/alternative" --pfhtuhkmduf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="snneiwdpzixer" --snneiwdpzixer Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, t...

microsoft Office Newsgroups?
Does anyone know whether Microsoft will continue to have newsgroups for Office 2010? My news server, news.individual.net doesn't seem to be showing any microsoft.public.office2010 of any of the programs. Are they available on a different server? Thanks. Louise Microsoft will never initiate another new NNTP newsgroup. MS has pronounced NNTP dead. Go to http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ and download and install V40 of the Community Bridge. You will be able to use the Technet Office 2010 forums with your news client. On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:55:55 -0400, louise &l...

Thanks for pics
Hi Sharon, Thanks so much for the nice pictures of Michele & I at my birthday dinner along with the sweet card. The other day Michele & I ran together in Tennessee Valley. There I found a newt trying to cross the road. Why? To get to the other side, of course. I just remembered the good feeling of when I, as a young sprout, use to visit you in San Domenico in the spring & I'd end up catching some newts. Made me think of you... not that you have any likeness to a newt. On the Tennessee Valley run we also had a large female wild turkey run along with us (...or from us from her...

Products linked to "Microsoft Outlook Help" from Portugal?
I have aq problem with "dulpicate emails" in Outlook 2003 so I click on the "Microsoft Outlook Help" and saw the link to a "Duplicate Email Remover." After clicking on the link, I was sent to a page where I can purchace the "add on." After my purchase, I received a message that it might take 36 hours to get an email for instructions to download the product since this "person" is in Portugal. I thougt that I was purchacing a product from Microsoft or one of their affiliates. I recommend that you check out the "Microsoft Outlook Hel...

Microsoft Money 2001 #5
I an using Microsoft Money 2001 but when I enter a stock tranction.. Share, company name, sybmol, country. in the list of country ' India ' is not there. and there is no option to add.. How do I solve it ? Pls guide. ...

The Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can ask quest
The Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can ask quest Actually it is only a web based interface to the microsoft public newsgroups. Dessi Purnama Putra wrote: > The Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can ask quest Wow, you almost finished a sentence. "Dessi Purnama Putra" <Dessi Purnama Putra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17EFCDB1-9675-4413-BC27-6EC94D840DC6@microsoft.com... : The Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can ask quest ...

Microsoft Publisher Greeting Card Contest 2004 #2
Yes, it is that time! Put your best ideas together and create a greeting card with Microsoft Publisher for your chance to win a copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional! For more details, check out the following link: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=103 Submit your entries to: contest@publishermvps.com. All entries must be submitted by December 17, 2004. All entries will be converted to Publisher 98 format by me before uploading so that more users may be able to open the files. I will also retain the original file format offline. If you have any questions, please let us ...