switching essential to advanced budget

I'm aware of the problem that happens when you want to switch from Essential
Budget to Advanced Budget. And I am following the steps found in this article
(and also in these discussion archives)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899628

I am confused about deleting phantom categories. For instance, one of my
phantom categories is "Charitable Donations: United Way". So I go to the
"Categories and Payees" screen under account tools. Apparently I need to
temporarily reassign this particular category to another top level category.
Ok fine. But then that means I have to go back through 3 years of
transactions and manually change the category back to what it was. A -
that'll make my reports virtually unuseable, and B- if I go back and change
them all to the correct category, it will take forever.

Unless I am missing something obvious here. What kind of category am I
supposed to 'temporarily assign' the phantom category to?

Any help would be appreciated.
0
CK (58)
3/7/2007 11:21:08 PM
money 28651 articles. 4 followers. Follow

Do a rename -- it changes the category for all relevant transactions.

--
Michael Gordon

"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm aware of the problem that happens when you want to switch from
> Essential
> Budget to Advanced Budget. And I am following the steps found in this
> article
> (and also in these discussion archives)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899628
>
> I am confused about deleting phantom categories. For instance, one of my
> phantom categories is "Charitable Donations: United Way". So I go to the
> "Categories and Payees" screen under account tools. Apparently I need to
> temporarily reassign this particular category to another top level
> category.
> Ok fine. But then that means I have to go back through 3 years of
> transactions and manually change the category back to what it was. A -
> that'll make my reports virtually unuseable, and B- if I go back and
> change
> them all to the correct category, it will take forever.
>
> Unless I am missing something obvious here. What kind of category am I
> supposed to 'temporarily assign' the phantom category to?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

0
gordonm (1013)
3/8/2007 1:28:56 AM
I'm not sure I understand. One of my phantom categories is "Insurance". Just
plain insurance. Even though I use many subcategories under "Insurance.
(dental, health, life, etc.)" If I rename "Insurance", or delete it and then
rename it, how will I ever know which transaction goes with which category?

I'm going to end up having to upgrade my Money beacuse of all of this. This
is such a pain.

Thanks for your help.

"Michael Gordon" wrote:

> Do a rename -- it changes the category for all relevant transactions.
>
> --
> Michael Gordon
>

> "CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm aware of the problem that happens when you want to switch from
> > Essential
> > Budget to Advanced Budget. And I am following the steps found in this
> > article
> > (and also in these discussion archives)
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899628
> >
> > I am confused about deleting phantom categories. For instance, one of my
> > phantom categories is "Charitable Donations: United Way". So I go to the
> > "Categories and Payees" screen under account tools. Apparently I need to
> > temporarily reassign this particular category to another top level
> > category.
> > Ok fine. But then that means I have to go back through 3 years of
> > transactions and manually change the category back to what it was. A -
> > that'll make my reports virtually unuseable, and B- if I go back and
> > change
> > them all to the correct category, it will take forever.
> >
> > Unless I am missing something obvious here. What kind of category am I
> > supposed to 'temporarily assign' the phantom category to?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.

0
CK (58)
3/11/2007 10:31:08 PM
Yep, and now every single one of those transactions doens't have a category
assigned to it. So I have to go back two years and do them manually. Even
though I created new categories and deleted the old ones. Gonzo.

"CK" wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand. One of my phantom categories is "Insurance". Just
> plain insurance. Even though I use many subcategories under "Insurance.
> (dental, health, life, etc.)" If I rename "Insurance", or delete it and then
> rename it, how will I ever know which transaction goes with which category?
>
> I'm going to end up having to upgrade my Money beacuse of all of this. This
> is such a pain.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> "Michael Gordon" wrote:
>
> > Do a rename -- it changes the category for all relevant transactions.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Gordon
> >

> > "CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm aware of the problem that happens when you want to switch from
> > > Essential
> > > Budget to Advanced Budget. And I am following the steps found in this
> > > article
> > > (and also in these discussion archives)
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899628
> > >
> > > I am confused about deleting phantom categories. For instance, one of my
> > > phantom categories is "Charitable Donations: United Way". So I go to the
> > > "Categories and Payees" screen under account tools. Apparently I need to
> > > temporarily reassign this particular category to another top level
> > > category.
> > > Ok fine. But then that means I have to go back through 3 years of
> > > transactions and manually change the category back to what it was. A -
> > > that'll make my reports virtually unuseable, and B- if I go back and
> > > change
> > > them all to the correct category, it will take forever.
> > >
> > > Unless I am missing something obvious here. What kind of category am I
> > > supposed to 'temporarily assign' the phantom category to?
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated.

0
CK (58)

Is it possible to add Categories for transactions in Money Essenti
I have been using msmoney 2004 on my lap top. Decided to start keeping this program on my new TouchSmart. Downloaded Money Essential 2008. Was I surprised at the changes!! Is there any way to add categories to keep better track of transactions? The ones included are just too basic for someone trying to track expenses for 3 households. If this isn't possible...what is the most current year (2005, 2006) that still offers the 2004 format? In microsoft.public.money, SLC wrote: >I have been using msmoney 2004 on my lap top. Decided to start keeping this >program on my new TouchSma...

Can you switch a documnet from a poster to a letter?
Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you can resize the paper, but the test remains poster size. I would create a .pdf file with that poster and then using Reader, print and scale it down to letter size. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "o2binny" <o2binny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7EC493A-5E9E-4485-A710-9C5748010316@microsoft.com... > Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you > can > resize th...

So why are YOU switching or not switching to Quicken?
I have seen many posts from users who have switched to Quicken and others who have no plans at all to switch to Quicken. I have used MS Money for 10 years and didn't activate Money Plus until this year so I will get updates until the bitter end in Jan 2011. I'm hoping this thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or not switch that people might not have thought of by themselves. So here the reasons I have come up with for why someone would or would not switch to Quicken. What's yours? Reasons for switching - Upset Microsoft discontinued Money - Your onlin...

Advanced filter poor performance in Excel 2003
I have an advanced filter executed in VBA that worked great until upgrading to Excel 2003. When I put in criteria the first time, the filtering works fine, but when the criteria row is blanked out so that all rows are unhidden, it takes forever for that to happen. I suspect that every formula on the sheet is being recalculated. Is there a technical explanation for why this problem happens now? Is there a way to work around this without setting the sheet calculation option to manual? I've seen slow downs when filtering, but usually showing all the rows is quicker--well at...

Have switched to Apple Mail!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Too many problems with syncing, missing email, etc. etc. <br><br>I've now switched to Apple Mail and it works WAY better! How easy was it to transfer all your old email and folders? 2008 was a big disappointment for me because I only got 1 minor feature I was waiting for (thesaurus access) and the HTML editing that nearly everyone asked for since 2004 came out was still missing. In fact, like Office 2007 on the PC, the user interface (in the other office applicat...

Advanced budget problem
I am trying to use the advanced budget. I enter all of my expenses and Money automatically enters some my apay bills. Everything on the expenses form looks fine. However, when I go to the budget summary page, it doubles the budget amount for two of the apay bills. I cannot figure out how to change this amount or why it is doing this. When I click on edit transactions, one of the problem categories shows the bill twice, while the other shows it only once (but the total is twice the amount). FWIW - the essential budget appears to work fine, but doesn't allow me to use the sub-ca...

Money Essentials
I do not see an option to add additional categories in Money Essentials 2007. Does any one know if that is possible or how to do it? Some one know. Probably nobody here as most of the regulars have never really used it. I'd bet it isn't possible. Not essential enough. But I can't say for sure. "Mendey" <Mendey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EA6E907-1A3A-4BB4-A47C-06336CC8769D@microsoft.com... >I do not see an option to add additional categories in Money Essentials >2007. > Does any one know if that is possible or how to do it? ...

/3gb switch
On 2 brand new Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 installs, I have modified the boot.ini file to include the /3GB /USERVA=3030 Exactly as instructed on the knowledgebase. However, I still recieve the memory settings warning whenever the servers boot up. Any ideas? The following KB article should guide you through some other settings that can be modified to optimize memory usage. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=815372&product=exch2003 -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Jorge Azcuy" <Jorge Azcuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25EA3E6F-C66F-478A-...

switching to windows 7
switching to windows 7, still need to have access to old e-mails. how can i access e-mails created in outlook express? Copy the ***ENTIRE*** OE message store to flash or CD. Do not copy individual dbx files. Put the copy of the message store on the Win7 Desktop. Open WLMail and File | Import | Messages | Outlook Express and point to where you saved them. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Jessica" <jstech@optonline.net> wrote in message news:uOEamPygKHA.1112@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > switching to windows 7, ...

switching
I am considering switching to MAC I recently bought Office for my PC. Do i have to re-purchase for MAC or are there any program from Microsoft to assist so i do not incur the double cost? thanks David In article <221401c49ca8$945b59b0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "David Knopf" <knopfd@woh.rr.com> wrote: > I am considering switching to MAC > > I recently bought Office for my PC. > > Do i have to re-purchase for MAC or are there any program > from Microsoft to assist so i do not incur the double > cost? Unfortunately, there's no discount/switch ...

switching from outlook express to outlook
I keep getting a mail delivery error, either saying "password required" or "the operation was cancelled". I've tried all combinations in the properties section of the account, to no avail. Of course, Express asks me for a password before kicking in. Any suggestions? "Barrie" <bhharry@telus.net> wrote in message news:05eb01c39539$a1626300$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I keep getting a mail delivery error, either > saying "password required" or "the operation was > cancelled". I've tried all combinations in the properties >...

Project Accounting Inventory Transfers should use budget prices
My product suggestion is that in Project Accounting Inventory Transfers, the default billing rate used should be determined from the Inventory Transfer Setup screen, instead of the the Items price level. In the setup Tools>Setup>Project>Inventory Transfer, there is a field 'Price Level From' where you can choose Item, Budet or None. I believe if you choose 'Budget', the billing rate defaulted for an Inventory Transfer should come from the budget, but at present it comes from the Item's price level regardless. I think this would save valuable time for users a...

HELP. 2 Emails in 03' and need to switch them.... want new email M
Help! I have just added second email acct to 2003 + want new acct to appear so its connected to contacts,calendar,outbox... I'm unsure of how to explain it.... but I'll try. Note: I have already made this email account my default account. Currently, my view looks like this in "all mail folders" view under Mail in navigation pane: +Personal Folders Deleted items Drafts +Inbox ****(This is the inital email, and under OUTLOOK TODAY, THIS email account comes under inbox (seen under "messages" in Outlook Today.)**** Junk Email ...

User Switch
XP, Home Edition ,SP3 Hello! Somehow thru my own judgment error I have managed to become a Computer Administrator..Prior to today I would go directly to the desktop and begin using my PC..Now I find myself having to allow the computer to load my personal settings..I would like to go back to the default(?) I had but I have scoured the options to go back and I don't know how..I am anxious to go back to what I had..I have never shared my computer so I guess I am ignorant about switching users...Thanks so Much...Nick Run System Restore to a time before the problem began. ...

how could i capture the event when my computer switch display device?
laptop could redirect the display output to another device by pressing Fn + special key, how could i know this happened? i have searched msdn for sometime, hanvn't found any window message related. does anyone know ? "thinktwice" <memorialday@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ea3d8cfa-2c80-445f-899e-630ec0bd9239@a8g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > laptop could redirect the display output to another device by pressing > Fn + special key, how could i know this happened? i have searched msdn > for sometime, hanvn't found any window message related. does anyone > ...

Problems switching to new hardware
after removing active directory from the machine, I tried to activate it as a 2nd machine for the new Dell machine. No luck, it still could not locate the machine. After tinkering around I finally gave up and reinstalled the OS on the new machine from scratch. I recreated the user list and also installed the email server. We're up and running again. I only have one problem left. Our old domain was server1.xxx.org. The new domain I created was just xxx.org. So now anytime we try to access the external web site from our provider called xxx.org I don;t get it. I've tried to use the DNS ma...

Advanced Intercompany Allocation
I am trying to set up an intercompany allocation. Company A needs to allocate set percentages to company B, Company C, and Company D. I am using a fixed allocation with a single level allocation type. I set up an allocation account in company A so that at the end of the month I could just dump the expense account (that needs to be distributed) into the allocation account which i thought would distribute the necessary funds automatically to company A, B, and C. But alas, it didn't work. I went back into my templates to have a look and it seems that the offset accounts didn&...

Connecting Switches
Hi, I know this isn't strictly a SBS question but I'm hoping someone can answer me a simple (I hope) question. My SBS network has outgrown it's current office and we need to get a couple of PC's, telephones and a printer put in another office about 40 meters away. To get a bit of breathing space I want 10 data points in this new office (we will only need 5). My local voice / data installers are wanting to run 10 cat5e cables to this new office so will require around 500 meters of cabling and "x" amount of time for wages. I have a Dell PowerConnec...

How to send message to advanced find results?
Running Outlook 2003. I run an advanced query to get a list of contacts. Now I have exactly the list of contacts I want to email in the Advanced Find results dialog. Is there an easy way to send an e-mail to everyone in the results list? Thanks for your help. Select all, drag to your inbox? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Tom C. asked: | Running Outlook 2003. I run an advanced query to get a list of | c...

Excel Budget
Hi I hope someone can help. Is the following possible with Excel? Entering multiple values in one cell, which will automatically calculate the value. eg. Buying CDs on the first day of the month, we spend = $10.00 (this value is entered into cell A1); The same purchase is made 10 times during the same month, but the values may be different. I want to automatically calculate the value by adding the previous value $10 (Cell A1) with future values ($5; $25; $1; etc). Hope you understand my question. Cheers Greg Greg, why not put this in A1 =SUM(A2:A100) and then put your amounts in A...

"Switch To" another application
I want to pop a running application up to the top of the screen. Basically I want to simulate the functionality of the "Switch to" feature in Task Manager. Naturally, it will not work. First off, I obtain the process handle by using EnumProcesses(). Next, after realizing that this was an area of the API with lots of holes, I find I must jump through hoops in order to "Switch To" this application. Next, I call GetProcessID() on my process handle. Next, I call EnumThreadWindows which inconvienently uses a callback function to obtain the window handles of the windows of t...

Newsonly switch
I see that Windows Live Mail has a newsonly switch, and I have used it to start WLM from DOS. I tried to add the switch to the right-clicked, "properties" target field, but was unable to do so. Is there any way to add the newsonly switch to the field(s) in the properties box? Or maybe elsewhere? Please help, and thank you in advance! Sincerely, Paine Ellsworth painius@aol.com "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /news -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Paine Ellsworth" <painius@aol.com> wrote in message news:emif1u0m...

switching mailbox to a different user.
is it possible to take a mailbox and attach it to another user? I need to create a user and take a mailbox that is attached to a different user and somehow attach it to the new user I am creating. On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:14:04 -0800, "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is it possible to take a mailbox and attach it to another user? I need to >create a user and take a mailbox that is attached to a different user and >somehow attach it to the new user I am creating. Yes. Make sure you have Deleted Mailbox Retention enabled on the store for more than...

budget not tracking a category correctly
I've set up a category and set up the budget to track it. But for some reason, the "thermometer" at the bottom of the check register is only keeping track of certain debits from that category. For instance, for this month, it says I've spent $350 of my allocated $600 in that category, but in reality, I've spent over $400. When I double click the thermometer to see the itemized debits, some are missing. But when I go back to the check register to see if I've categorized them correctly, I have. Is it possible the subcategory is throwing it out of the categor...

Need to have more Columns available in advanced view
I know how to add columns in advanced view but i can't add all the columns I'd like to add. I can choose more fields (attributs) as search attributes than as result columns. Is there somewhere a switch to turn a field (attribute) into not only beeing searchable but selectable as a column in advanced search? Example: "Invoice Product": Is there a way to make an advanced search or view which delivers field (attributes) of "Invoice Product" as a result? Marko ...