Starting over #3

I have been using MM since 1996.  Over the years, and after many corrupt
files, I started opening a new Money file at the beginning of each year.  I
have been doing this for four years now.

Any input on this approach, or other viable methods, would be greatly
appreciated.

Needless to say, this creates a lot of work.  But after compiling four or
five years worth of financial data on one Money file, and having it become
corrupted, can also create a lot of work.

Would it be better to create a new file and then import the data from the
preceeding years file into it?

Should I just continue to build on one file and keep a backup after every
data entry session?

Once again, any input would be greatly appreciated.
0
GreggC (41)
12/6/2005 1:14:02 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

That's worked for me since 1993.

But don't just keep one backup. Keep multiple backups of multiple
generations on multiple media. Occasionally test your backups to prove they
really are.

I have had corruption problems maybe 3 or 4 times since I upgraded to
M99--once was traceable to opening the file from a laptop when the desktop
already had it open. Perhaps there is something else going on in your
environment.

"GreggC" <GreggC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Should I just continue to build on one file and keep a backup after every
> data entry session?

Certification #3
Hi All, I am planning to do certification in Modifier and VBA (MB3-461). Is there any free practice exams sites to take exams. Please suggest.... thanks! Regards, Karthick.J ...

Starting up on start-up help!

Quicken file conversion #3
I am getting the following error when I try to convert my Quicken 2004 file to Money 2005 Premium. It is not that big of a file (about 6 MB) and I got plenty of disk space and memory... Anyone know what is going on? ------------------------------------------------------------ Your Quicken file could not be converted. Money could not convert your Quicken file. You might have run out of disk space or system memory. Try closing other programs and making sure the disk you are copying your file to has enough space. Then try converting the file again --------------------------------------------...

cell protection #3
We had a spreadsheet designed by a personn who took this spreadsheet to many different companies. He had some cells protected. He no longer works for the same company, no body else knows his worksheet and we don 't know the password to change some of these cells. Can anyone help? Is there anything that can be done? See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Deb" <rypac-deb@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:292F207E-EAC8-4101-B28A-3F0391C6A13E@microsoft.com... > W...

Dates #3
I am trying to put dates into the workbook, but as soon as I hit endet after typing "3/14/2005" I get #### all in the ccell and no date. What in the world is that? -- What do you do when the only one that can make you laugh is the one who made you cry?-- Make the column wider. You can drag the column border or double-click on it. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Kulakula" <Kulakula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08660B43-36CC-4586-AC26-9ACA01CD13F5@microsoft.com... >I am trying to put dates into the workbook, but as s...

CRM 3.0 Distribute Campaign Activity
My company is in the process of installing CRM 3.0. During the testing/evaluation process, we have encountered the error "Direct E-mail via Mail Merge is off. The activity cannot be distributed. Please contact your system administrator." This error occurred after a campaign, campaign activity, and target marketing list with members had been created and the "Distribute Campaign Activity" button clicked. Can you provide any assistance in resolving this issue? -- David Connect David Goto Settings | Organizational Settings | System Settings | Marketing Tab. Her...

Need advice to start off a project
Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone out there help me? I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure it can be done automatically only how? On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of...

Cannot start Outlook 2002
My computer is usualy connected to an MS Exchange server at work. However I'd like to use Outlook at home with another e-mail account. When I try to start Outlook I get an error message : Cannot connect to exchange server. So I click work offline. Then, get another error message: Cannot start Outlook. Could not open information store. The the program quits. Anyone know a work around? Thanks. Create a new profile for your home account. Then set Outlook to prompt for profile. Select your home profile and Outlook will not try to connect to Exchange. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

3-tier stacked bar chart
Hello - I work for a police department and need to create a stacked bar chart for homicide victims and suspects by race and gender. The chart would be separated into victims on the left and suspects on the right. Within each, there would 3 bars: Black, White, Asian. Within each of those three bars is male/female. Does anyone know how to enter that data into an excel spreadsheet??? Any help appreciated! Hi, Try this data in range A1:D7. Create a stacked column plotting Series in Rows. You will then need to format the 6 series as appropriate. Victim Suspect Black Male 1 1 Female 1 1 ...

Addresses #3
In Outlook 2000, how do you get the address field to be automatic, as in, first few letters typed will generate a dropt-down list of possibilities for you to select from? I have been using Outlook Express for years, but switched to Outlook recently and just can't seem to find this seemingly simple answer in my multiple searches.. Thanks for any help Mary Mary B. wrote: > In Outlook 2000, how do you get the address field to be automatic, as > in, first few letters typed will generate a dropt-down list of > possibilities for you to select from? > I have been using Outlook...

Money Keeps Shutting Down since XP Service Pack 3 was installed
Microsoft prompted me to install some secuirty updates yesterday, and since then Microsoft Money Small Business 2005 will not stay open. Shortly after opening the program, and without clicking on anything, I get the message, "We're sorry, but Microsoft Money has experienced an internal error and will have to restart." The error signature is AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 14.0.0.1105 ModName: myisam05.dll ModVer: 4.0.3107.7 Offset: 00001b37. Upon restarting Money, the same error occurs. I have uninstalled and re-installed Money, and run the Money updates to get current v...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

deleting macros #3
Is there anyway to delete all macros in a file at one time, instead of picking one and hitting delete and then having to go back in for everyone. Thanks See Chip Pearson's coding for the VBE (Visual Basic Editor) http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.htm there is a macro to do it all for you, much more reliable and faster than trying to do it manually. If you read about it there you will also know if your would have done it correctly if trying manually. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/e...

rolling 3 months query
I have a query that produces results of the total number of errors each employee has made in 5 categories for each month. I need a rolling 3 month total for each employee for each category in a crosstab query i.e. Rolling Nov total for each category for each emp, rolling Dec total for each category for each emp, rolling Jan total for each category....etc...(I used this example to explain that it will go past a calendar year...our year goes from Nov - Oct) row = emp columns = each rolling 3 mm/yyyy for Nov through Oct value = # of errors for each category My fields in the query are: [E...

Macro or Lookup? Not sure where to start.
I have created two worksheets: 1) Auction Items Item# Table# Location# ItemDescription WinBid are the headers of the data. 2) Bidders Bidder# FirstName LastName I would like to be able to create a macro or something that will allow me to enter the item#, bidder# and winning bid price and have a sheet filled with. ie. Item# 2 (Handcrafted Table) Bidder# 12 (John Doe) Winning Bid $250 Can excel pull from two sheets and created another sheet with all the final details? I am a little new to excel (version 2000) it is the only tool/application available to us at this time. If anyone can poi...

Outlook starting problem
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A dialog box is open. Close it and try again." ...

OUTLLIB.DLL #3
Getting "Outlook has caused an error in OUTLLIUB.DLL" at load. Have installed SR-1, repaired inbox, deleted install and reinstalled ... nothing. Any ideas? SWB ...

Page Numbering (ie Page 1 of 3)
Does anyone know how to set up the above or if it's possible in Excel I know how to show "page 1" and "page 2", but I'd like to show how many pages total are in a document. Hi AZMichelle There is a option in the Page Setup (Headers Footers) <Page1 of ?> I don't know if this option is in all the Excel versions?? With a macro you can do this Sub test() On Error Resume Next With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .CenterFooter = "&8Page &8&P & of &N" End With End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL...

.NET 3.0, 3.5 SP-1, Media Ctr., addendum...
....when Media Center "crashes", I get a JIT debugging error, and no other information about it, other than offering to allow me to "attach a debugger manually" that never works out. Then I've got to go to Task Manager to "End" it, and am told that there's an error there too.... ...

Running CHKDSK at start up
Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? PC runs Windows XP Pro SP3. This way all drives would be checked and errors fixed, if necessary, in one go, at start up on this machine. We intend to do this on this heavily used PC from time to time - we do not need the desired chkdsk functionality to kick in at every boot! Regards and TIA. Avatar -------- "Avatar" <Avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:hrb4n2$53i$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? ...

Starting a new paragraph within a cell
How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again within the cell. Hi. You can press Alt + Enter to create a line break within a cell. Kath firman wrote: > How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list > 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a > list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again > within th...

How do I add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in the.
add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in them. I'm trying to calculate consecutive days of attendance. ...

Can't Start Any Program
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It has been two weeks since I can open an Office Program. Please HEEELP! This is my word error report: Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2009-09-09 19:04:02 -0400 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word Application Signature: MSWD Application Version: 12.2.0.090605 Crashed Module Name: CoreFoundation Crashed Module Version: unknown Crashed Module Offset: 0x00075354 Blame Module Name: CoreFoundation Blame Module Version: unk...

CD does not start
After installing XP on a new disk everything appeared normal. I was able to install a few applications from their cds. Then I attempted to install an application from a downloaded file, but it did not work. So I installed MS frame works and windows installer. Then I was able to install the application from the downloaded file. When I attempted to install another application from its cd (with autorun), nothing happened, namely it fail to start. If I force the setup.exe from Explorer, the error message shows up: "the application configuration is incorrect". Thinking for...

Check Box #3
I am trying to add check boxes to a protected document that will be selected when I tab through the document. Does anyone know if the check boxes can be formatted to be activated in theis way. Right now, I have to select the check boxes with the mouse. Thanks you could try this solution that I came up with a while back. This is a copy of that post Another way is to use this technique of having a check column, and monitoring it with a worksheet selection change event. Add your code as needed. Rather than use a checkbox, I suggest just using a check column. So if we assume that the dat...