Spending by Category Report

I am using Money 2006 and trying to get a snapshot of my spending over the
last 6 months by category.  I am using the standard report for this, but for
some reason I can't get it to show all my tranfers on the report.  I have a
lot of $ transferred each month to kids 529 accounts or IRAs and I want to
see what my monthly "Grand Total" is including these transfers.  I can't find
any way to tell money to subtract these from the total in the reports.  There
is a "Transfer" category on the report, but the only thing it shows is a
transfer for the principle paid on my mortgage.   It kind of defeats the
purpose of using money if I have to print a report and then get out the
calculator and subtract off all the transfers to see how much money I have
left evey month.
Any one know how to do this?

Jeff
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

1) Transfers aren't spending--so it stands to some amount of reason that
spending by category would tend not to show them.

2) You may find the income and expense reports more useful. They can be
customized to show transfers. If you are really trying to determine monthly
cash flow ("see how much money I have left every month") these will probably
do a better job at letting you understand where it comes from, where it
goes, and whether more came in than went out.

"Gatorman98" <Gatorman98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Money 2006 and trying to get a snapshot of my spending over the
> last 6 months by category.  I am using the standard report for this, but
> for
> some reason I can't get it to show all my tranfers on the report.  I have
> lot of $ transferred each month to kids 529 accounts or IRAs and I want to
> see what my monthly "Grand Total" is including these transfers.  I can't
> find
> any way to tell money to subtract these from the total in the reports.
> There
> is a "Transfer" category on the report, but the only thing it shows is a
> transfer for the principle paid on my mortgage.   It kind of defeats the
> purpose of using money if I have to print a report and then get out the
> calculator and subtract off all the transfers to see how much money I have
> left evey month.
> Any one know how to do this?

Yea, the monthly income and expenses report as least tries to show some of
the transfers.  But the main problem is that they do not show up on the
report until they actually are spent on something.  for example, I have
$300/month taken out of my paycheck and sent to my 401K.  Since I only get my
statement once a quarter, this is when I use the update retirement account
wizard to update the account and tell money waht was bought with the $.  What
the income and expenses report shows is nothing for two months and then $900
every third month.  This is of course, not what I want.  I want it to show
transfers on the date they actually transferred so I can figure out how much
money I have left every month after paying all my expenses and funding my
retirement accounts.  When I look at the transfers in my "Budget" they all
show up just like they should, just can't get a report like I need.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> 1) Transfers aren't spending--so it stands to some amount of reason that
> spending by category would tend not to show them.
>
> 2) You may find the income and expense reports more useful. They can be
> customized to show transfers. If you are really trying to determine monthly
> cash flow ("see how much money I have left every month") these will probably
> do a better job at letting you understand where it comes from, where it
> goes, and whether more came in than went out.
>
> "Gatorman98" <Gatorman98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Money 2006 and trying to get a snapshot of my spending over the
> > last 6 months by category.  I am using the standard report for this, but
> > for
> > some reason I can't get it to show all my tranfers on the report.  I have
> > lot of $ transferred each month to kids 529 accounts or IRAs and I want to
> > see what my monthly "Grand Total" is including these transfers.  I can't
> > find
> > any way to tell money to subtract these from the total in the reports.
> > There
> > is a "Transfer" category on the report, but the only thing it shows is a
> > transfer for the principle paid on my mortgage.   It kind of defeats the
> > purpose of using money if I have to print a report and then get out the
> > calculator and subtract off all the transfers to see how much money I have
> > left evey month.
> > Any one know how to do this?

When you input your paycheck, split the categories, showing your gross pay
and then another line entry for the deducting "transfer".

0
jheard (10)
9/12/2005 2:08:58 PM
"Gatorman98" <Gatorman98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Money 2006 and trying to get a snapshot of my spending over the
> last 6 months by category.  I am using the standard report for this, but
> for
> some reason I can't get it to show all my tranfers on the report.  I have
> lot of $ transferred each month to kids 529 accounts or IRAs and I want to
> see what my monthly "Grand Total" is including these transfers.  I can't
> find
> any way to tell money to subtract these from the total in the reports.
> There
> is a "Transfer" category on the report, but the only thing it shows is a
> transfer for the principle paid on my mortgage.   It kind of defeats the
> purpose of using money if I have to print a report and then get out the
> calculator and subtract off all the transfers to see how much money I have
> left evey month.
> Any one know how to do this?
>
> Jeff

I don't really understand your account setup but I use the Income and
Expense report and check the "Include transfers for accts that are NOT in
the report" button to get a report that shows all of my transfers that make
up cash flow.  You must make sure the accounts you want to see transfers
to/from are not selected for this report in the accounts tab.

In general you can get Money reports to do what you want but they are not
very intuitive.  Play with the report customization dialog and try every
setting to see what happens.  And note that different standard reports that
appear similar in fact produce different results.  You really have to test
all of them to see what they do.

--
Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ

0
w.wood (230)
9/12/2005 2:17:21 PM
Try removing the 401k cash account from the accounts included in the report.
These reports tend (customize option specific) to show transfers out of or
into the accounts included in the report and omit transfers between the
accounts included in the report. If the transfer tot he 401k cash account is
in your paycheck, having the 401k cash account omitted from the report
should get this to show as a transfer out.

> Yea, the monthly income and expenses report as least tries to show some of
> the transfers.  But the main problem is that they do not show up on the
> report until they actually are spent on something.  for example, I have
> $300/month taken out of my paycheck and sent to my 401K.  Since I only get
my
> statement once a quarter, this is when I use the update retirement account
> wizard to update the account and tell money waht was bought with the $.
What
> the income and expenses report shows is nothing for two months and then
$900
> every third month.  This is of course, not what I want.  I want it to show
> transfers on the date they actually transferred so I can figure out how
much
> money I have left every month after paying all my expenses and funding my
> retirement accounts.  When I look at the transfers in my "Budget" they all
> show up just like they should, just can't get a report like I need.

Excellent, this seems to work.  You must unselect all the accounts that you
want to see transfers for and then tell it to include transfers for accounts
not in report.  This is what I wanted.  Thanks for you help, I might never
have figured this out!!

Jeff

> Excellent, this seems to work.  You must unselect all the accounts that
> you
> want to see transfers for and then tell it to include transfers for
> accounts
> not in report.  This is what I wanted.  Thanks for you help, I might never
> have figured this out!!
>
> Jeff

Glad it works.  I bet you would have figured it out with a few more tries.
Money's reports can be pretty frustrating.

0
w.wood (230)

Collection Letter Category
Hello All, Can any one tell me How can I get Collection Letter list in Letter Writing Assistant. I'm using GP 10.0. In Letter Writing Assistant it is not showing the Collection. All others (Customer, Vendor etc) are available. All security permission are been granted but no effect Plz help. Hi Shahzad, This issue has been posted twice recently and no resolution has been found. Please create a support incident with Microsoft Business Solutions either through your account in CustomerSource/PartnerSource or by calling 888-477-7877. Feel free to post your solution back to the newsgrou...

Excel Report Builder report is deleting the last column from SQL v
I am using Excel Reports in conjunction with Smartconnect. After about a dozen smartconnect connections and refreshes of data from GP in my excel report, the original SQL view created from the Excel Report Builder deletes the last column from the SQL view. I am now unable to refresh my excel report because of an "invalid column name". The only work around at this point is to re-publish my excel report from the excel report builder tool; however, this is not the preferred method of resolution. Any other suggestions? I just had this happened - I thought someone must h...

Crystal Report error 09-16-03
I get this error when trying to run a report. Anyone have an answer to why? File frs://Input/a_203/000/000/203/bfc2fc0f7261340.rpt not found on File Repository Server. [On Cache/Page Server: DSM-CRM.pageserver] Jack, This typically means that the reports did not get installed on the server properly. This can happen as a result of the install not working properly or as a result of reinstalling on the same server. In either case, you need to contact MBS support as there is a utility they need to provide you that can fix this problem. HTH, Matt "Jack Trantham" <jtrantham@d...

Category counting
Hi again, sorry for all my newbie challenged-ness. You guys have been great help so far, I feel bad for constantly asking. I'm still in th stages of brainstorming, but I have three sheets: Sheet 1 has essentially two things: A column of text called "Codes" an many columns of categories. Essentially, the worksheet puts an "x" nex to the "category" that a "Code" is associated with. Each code i associated with only 1 category. Ex. Code ------------------- Code-------Mammal----------Fish----------Reptile Snake ...

Deferred Revenue Report
I need to write a report on deferred revenue by contract by customer. Can someone tell me what tables to look in? Are there any builtin GP or FRX reports for deferred revenue? Thank you. It's in tables that start with PP. -Bill "richxyz" <richxyz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0488A595-8CC7-4285-B74A-657AF3CFF4F6@microsoft.com... >I need to write a report on deferred revenue by contract by customer. Can > someone tell me what tables to look in? Are there any builtin GP or FRX > reports for deferred revenue? Thank you. There are no ta...

Flexible spending account #2
how do i track flexible spending accounts like health- care/dependent care spending accounts? Thanks I do it by setting up an account, type cash, name Flexible Spending. "venkmon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14cf101c3c3d2$a3f7cb60$a601280a@phx.gbl... how do i track flexible spending accounts like health- care/dependent care spending accounts? Thanks Transfer money into this account from your paycheck deduct. Transfer money out of this account to, say, your checking account when you draw reimbursement. "Kent Riesen" <Kent Riesen...

question related to Custom report
When I want to create a custom report should I create my Data Source directly from the model tables or there views which are dedicated to this issue? In the ORG_MSCRM database check out the Views which all named Filtered... e.g. FilteredContact Use these. Alex "Ahmed Maaloul" <AhmedMaaloul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C82DA22-D6AE-41E4-A8D9-7ACC69363AB4@microsoft.com... > When I want to create a custom report should I create my Data Source > directly > from the model tables or there views which are dedicated to this issue? ...

etraining crystal reports
I was wondering if anyone has taken this course. How is it? Worth it? Easy enough for a beginner yet in depth enough to teach you how to use it? Just some info. Thanks -- Kate Hulit Asyma Systems Inc. Hi Kate, As an alternative to Crystal you may want to also check out this report writer for GP, www.XLReporter.com. It's extremely powerful yet easy to use. Jim "Kate Hulit" wrote: > I was wondering if anyone has taken this course. How is it? Worth it? Easy > enough for a beginner yet in depth enough to teach you how to use it? Just > some info. > &...

can't center a category label on a line chart
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000603030901060204040401 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Yesterday I got some good help with figuring out the differences between the line chart and xy chart. I've had to go with the line chart. I've pretty much got it the way I want it. I've posted my data below. The < means prior to 2007. In Excel 2003 I could easily center the Year between the Major vertical gridlines (every forth one, since this is quarterly data). But with my pres...

How do I disable show details button on Report Manager for some us
Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks! Henry ...

Write Data in Excel with continuous reports
I rendered daily services to residents and need to secure this information into data base but actually I don't have access in my computer only Excel, can you help ? ...

Sort options for Reports
I am using Access 2000. I want to know how to provide the user a choice to sort the report by either "Last Name" or "Date". Some people would like to see the report by client's last name. Other's would like to see it by most current date. I'd prefer not to create two separate reports. I'd like to provide the option of how they'd like the report sorted either "Last Name" or by "date". Any advice? I'm fairly new a this. Allen Browne has one solution on his web page at http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-33.html. -- Duane Hoo...

customize reports
i need help in customizing reports in hq i need top sellers weekly chain wide with the following fields added qty recived and qty sold i also need the same report with the worst sellers chain wide thanks shawn Hi Shawn, Retail Analytics from Professional Advantage allows you to easily create the report you are looking for. If you would like to take a closer look at the product, we can demonstrate it on your LIVE data at no cost. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or visit our website - www.profad.com. Jen Losch jenl@profad.com "shawn" wrote: &g...

Running Totals in Report Writer
Hello: I have calculated fields in the SOP Blank Packing Slip modified in Report Writer in that, among other things, displays the quantity available for each lot number that is assigned to each line item. I need to compare the quantity available for each lot with the total quantity ordered for that line item. So, let's say that there is a quantity of 40 of item 111 at lot A for a quantity of 34 and at lot B for a quantity of 72. In this case, lot A will pull 34 and lot B will pull only 6. This totals 40. In another example, there's a quantity of 75 for item 222 at lot A f...

category list
Is there any way to print out a list of categories? I've just set up a new list and it would be handy to have one to consult until I get used to the new categories. In microsoft.public.money, Windwatcher wrote: >Is there any way to print out a list of categories? I've just set up a new >list and it would be handy to have one to consult until I get used to the >new categories. > Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees->Categories File->Print ...

Budget issue- adding an actual amount for a category in my budget.
First time user with a MONEY product. I purchased MONEY 2004 Standard. I entered all the categories and budget amounts for the month of October, and now I wanted to enter the actual amounts incurred. I do not use all the features of money for online banking, etc. I simply wanted to work on a budget. I tried the support telephone number twice and so far I have not been successful with getting help. Thank you. Umm... Isn't the whole purpose of the program intended to tell you how you're doing on your budget, and give other similar reports? If you had to manually generate the &quo...

Top Five in Categories
I currently have a spreadsheet of ithousands of investment data recods that each have specific criteria: Examples Fund- 1,2,3, etc. Issuer - IBM, Ford, etc Asset - Common Stock, Bond, etc Country - USA, China, France,etc Category - 1,2,3,4, etc Industry - Auto, Health care, manufacturing MV - Market Value On a daily basis I refresh the data with current market price information. At that point I need to be able to update a report that shows the top five issuers in each Category (1,2,3,4,etc) by Market Value for each fund. I currently run a pivot table on the data table and sort descen...

Spending Tracker not tracking
Upgraded to Money Plus Deluxe couple months back. The Spending Tracker is not registering certain categories so it doesn't keep up to date with my budgeted amounts. I've checked that the accounts are included in the budget and Spending Tracker. Anyone have this problem and how were you able to resolve? Thanks One one else have this problem?? I guess it's just my luck. "Don" <donlo2005@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ucrknAxuJHA.4648@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Upgraded to Money Plus Deluxe couple months back. The Spending Tracker is > not re...

Reports on working on new install
I have a fresh install that I have been using for the past couple of weeks successfully. However, if I select the Reports icon in the My Work folder I get the following error (help please): Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and w...

email report per record
I am trying to email a report. On my form I have a button that the user will click - this will send a report based on the record shown on the form. Private Sub Sheet1_Click() Dim strMessage As String 'Body of message Dim strSubject As String 'Email Subject Dim strTo As String 'To address Dim strCC As String 'CC Address Dim strBCC As String 'BCC Address Dim stDocName As String Dim strWhere As String strWhere = "[id number] = " & Me.[id Number] stDocName = "Info Form" strTo = "email@dot.com" st...

customized reports
i need help customizing reports in hq i am operating aclothing stores need help specially for inventory turn and top performers section please help.shawn@2cuteny.com HI shawn., it is night here, tommrow morning i will forward you all the reports. I got already your email. "shawn" wrote: > i need help customizing reports in hq > i am operating aclothing stores need help specially for inventory turn and > top performers section > please help.shawn@2cuteny.com > Would like the same - if possible. Sbinder@venus.com "Akber Alwani" wrote: > HI sha...

Category problems
I currently have Money 2006 Small Business. I started using Money years ago with earlier versions. The category list I use has evolved from the previous versions, and there appear to be many of the "standard" categories I don't use, and want to delete them (There are no transactions tied to them.) I've tried deleting these many, many times, but they reappear within a few minutes. I tried the "move" function, moving to a similar category that is being used (e.g moved "Medical-Dental" to "Medical/Dental") but the category reappears after ...

Reports problem 05-02-07
Hi, While installing SQL Server 2005 and CRM Application on same machine, there was no problem to access reports from the application. If i install SQL Server 2005 and CRM Application on different machine, i am not able to access reports(from the application) from the machine on which SQL is installed. However, there is no problem while accessing reports (from the application) from the machine on which CRM was installed. ...

Spending Tracker
i have a sub category that always displays in the spending tracker. even if i remove all categories from the list, this one category still shows up. it's not even on the list which is another question - what makes a category show up on the list ? they are not all there. ...

Deleting a Customized Report
I have created a customized service report that I no longer need. How do I delete the report? Thanks in advance for your help, Eric You need to contact MBS to get a utility to do this "Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02ef01c398ce$f93ec030$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have created a customized service report that I no > longer need. How do I delete the report? > > Thanks in advance for your help, > Eric Hi Eric! If you contact microsoft support - they have a tool that you can download to delete a report for you. "Cryst...