So why are YOU switching or not switching to Quicken?

I have seen many posts from users who have switched to Quicken and others who
have no plans at all to switch to Quicken.

I have used MS Money for 10 years and didn't activate Money Plus until this
year so I will get updates until the bitter end in Jan 2011.  I'm hoping this
thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or not switch that
people might not have thought of by themselves.  So here the reasons I have
come up with for why someone would or would not switch to Quicken.

What's yours?

Reasons for switching

 - Upset Microsoft discontinued Money
 - Your online updates have expired and you want them to continue and don't
want to buy a copy of MS Money Plus on eBay to extend online services
 - have wanted to switch to Quicken for some time, but couldn't because
there was no good conversion tool to do so.

Reasons for not to switching in the near term

 - Until recently there was no Money to Quicken converter
 - Are waiting to see how other users fare with the recently released money
to quicken converter
 - Your MS Money updates don't expire until sometime in 2010 or 2011 and you
don't want to give Intuit one red cent until you have to.

Reasons not to switch at all

 - Upset at Intuit for a previous Quicken/Quickbooks/Turbo Tax issue
 - Upset that it is even harder to get your data out of Quicken than it is
MS Money
 - Your financial institutions don't pay Intuit so you can't get online
updates even with Quicken
 - Your dislike of the Quicken interface outweighs having online updates

I would like to add the reason why I am not switching yet.  As many of you
know Quicken recently purchased Mint, but what you might not know is that the
founder of Mint has been put in charge of all 4 personal finance software
products(Mint, Quicken for PC, Quicken for Mac and Quicken Online).  If you
read the interview linked below you will see that the Intuit spokesperson and
the Mint founder disagree on many of their answers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10375357-250.html

Do you believe a 27 year-old who probably thinks that desktop software is
for dinosaurs will maintain the version of Quicken you would be switching to?
 Maybe he will see the light why people don't want to trust their financial
data to the cloud.  Or maybe he won't.  Who knows.

I expect for clues about his vision for the 4 products to emerge in 2010 so
I plan on waiting until my MS Money online updates expire in January 2011
before I decide whether or not to make the leap.

What about you?
0
mfogarty (16)
10/28/2009 8:31:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:31:01 -0700, mfogarty
<mfogarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have seen many posts from users who have switched to Quicken and others who
>have no plans at all to switch to Quicken.
>
>I have used MS Money for 10 years and didn't activate Money Plus until this
>year so I will get updates until the bitter end in Jan 2011.  I'm hoping this
>thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or not switch that
>people might not have thought of by themselves.  So here the reasons I have
>come up with for why someone would or would not switch to Quicken.
>
>What's yours?

I went through the same harsh decision making process you seem to be
immersed in, now. I finally bought a box copy of Quicken Premier and
installed it on a new computer I had just built. I kept my old Money
2007 installed on my old computer, and will manage the two in parallel
at least until I've completed this year's tax work.

I was very surprised with Quicken at first. All the negative things
that were being posted here and elsewhere, concerning the MANY
shortcomings of Quicken had me in a deep state of anxiety, but that
all dissipated as soon as I got Quicken up and running.

I agree, it is "different" from Money, but, for the most part, I like
those differences. I'm getting broken into the saddle with Quicken,
and the more I learn and adapt the better I like it. I'm at that
point, now, where I'd be reluctant to go back to Money, even if MS
were to reverse their decisions and bring it back to life.

>Reasons for switching

I have accounting records that go back to January 1, 1996 in my Money
files, and was VERY apprehensive about losing access to these. I
decided to set Quicken up and see if I could get all my money files
imported and checked out without disrupting Money.

One thing for sure, I didn't want to wait and not make any adaptations
until Money was so far obsolete that its files could not be imported
into Quicken or any other accounting software, say 5 years down the
line. I wanted to get going with Quicken and get my records imported
as soon as possible. Then, if Money goes entirely kaput I won't be in
a bind.

> - Upset Microsoft discontinued Money
> - Your online updates have expired and you want them to continue and don't
>want to buy a copy of MS Money Plus on eBay to extend online services
> - have wanted to switch to Quicken for some time, but couldn't because
>there was no good conversion tool to do so.
>
>Reasons for not to switching in the near term

I see no rational reasons for not switching. Quicken handled the file
import process very smoothly and is easy to use. I'm glad I made the
change instead of waiting and brooding until things got really out of
control.

> - Until recently there was no Money to Quicken converter
> - Are waiting to see how other users fare with the recently released money
>to quicken converter
> - Your MS Money updates don't expire until sometime in 2010 or 2011 and you
>don't want to give Intuit one red cent until you have to.
>
>Reasons not to switch at all

Quicken's converter worked very well for me. The only problems I had
were due to some keying errors I had made in my Money files. I had
inadvertently labeled one payment as a "Regularly recurring" payment,
due on  or about the same day each month. This should have been
labeled as a one time only payment, Quicken picked this up and showed
it as an overdue payment for each month, dating back about 3 years to
the date I made the error. There were a few other such errors, but all
of them were due to errors I had made in my Money files.

> - Upset at Intuit for a previous Quicken/Quickbooks/Turbo Tax issue
> - Upset that it is even harder to get your data out of Quicken than it is
>MS Money
> - Your financial institutions don't pay Intuit so you can't get online
>updates even with Quicken
> - Your dislike of the Quicken interface outweighs having online updates

My bank (Credit Union) and my investment brokerage work very well with
Quicken. I had to key in my username and a password, then Quicken
handled the online updates flawlessly.

>I would like to add the reason why I am not switching yet.  As many of you
>know Quicken recently purchased Mint, but what you might not know is that the
>founder of Mint has been put in charge of all 4 personal finance software
>products(Mint, Quicken for PC, Quicken for Mac and Quicken Online).  If you
>read the interview linked below you will see that the Intuit spokesperson and
>the Mint founder disagree on many of their answers.
>
>http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10375357-250.html
>
>Do you believe a 27 year-old who probably thinks that desktop software is
>for dinosaurs will maintain the version of Quicken you would be switching to?
> Maybe he will see the light why people don't want to trust their financial
>data to the cloud.  Or maybe he won't.  Who knows.
>
>I expect for clues about his vision for the 4 products to emerge in 2010 so
>I plan on waiting until my MS Money online updates expire in January 2011
>before I decide whether or not to make the leap.
>
>What about you?

As I said earlier, I'll keep my Money files and program alive and
working at least until the end of this tax year and probably until the
end of the 2010 tax year, then I'll make a decision as to whether I
continue using Money, or retire it and put it out to pasture.

Gordon
I decided to switch, because I knew that I would have to, eventually,
so... why wait?  :)

I didn't wait for the converter, though. I found a link to an old
downloadable version of Q2002, and I extracted my Money data (since
Jun'95) in ~80 accounts (most of them closed now) into QIF files. I
then imported them one by one into Q2002. The process took me almost a
whole weekend, but by the end of it, I was running Money 2007 and
Q2002 in parallel, getting the same results.

I have to say that I used Quicken from 1995 to 1999, and then I
switched to MS Money until now. So I was somewhat familiar with
Quicken's design (it has changed since then, but I can still see the
same "mind" behind it).  I never bought every year's upgrade, though.
I think I bought Q95, Q97, M99, M01, M02, M04, M07, and Q10.

After using Q2002 for almost a month, I bought Q2010 Premier just 12
days ago. As Gordon, I'm running M07 and Q10 in parallel for now, but
I am liking it more and more. Actually, there are a few things I like
better in Quicken. A lot of things are very different (how to handle
downloaded transactions, the views about investments, the planning,
etc), and it will take some time to get used to it. But I think that,
although I will miss some functionality, I am finding some other
features very nice. In my opinion, they are both "similar". I just
don't see Money being that much better, to the point of justifying
being stuck with it.

I could try to define a list of things I like better, but that
wouldn't really be why I switched. Actually, I found about them AFTER
I switched  :)  The main reason for me was basically to be part of the
customer base of an active product, rather than a dead one. And to
tell you the truth, I've always longed some things from Quicken, and
had been thinking about switching already... and hadn't done it yet
just because of the cost of switching.

The thing I remembered I liked in Q, and missed in M, was the ability
to drill down in charts. If I see the pie chart with my asset
allocation, I can click in the International Stocks area, and get
another chart providing me the detail by account. In M, when you try
to see the details behind a piece of a chart, you just got a list of
transactions. I don't know, some people might think "big deal". I
guess it depends on how people think.

Jose
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:17:00 -0500, Antares 531 <gordonlrDELETE@swbell.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:31:01 -0700, mfogarty
><mfogarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have seen many posts from users who have switched to Quicken and others who
>>have no plans at all to switch to Quicken.
>>
>>I have used MS Money for 10 years and didn't activate Money Plus until this
>>year so I will get updates until the bitter end in Jan 2011.  I'm hoping this
>>thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or not switch that
>>people might not have thought of by themselves.  So here the reasons I have
>>come up with for why someone would or would not switch to Quicken.

I have done the same. I have a copy of Quicken 2008 on my PC and also a copy of MS Money 2007 and I run them in tandem.
I also have MS Money on my MAAC under VM Ware Fusion just in case. I also used Quicken years ago before making the
switch to Money, as, at the time, I liked the interface of Money much better. I will buy Quicken 2010, but still keep
Money for as long as I can and keep running them separately.

0
howdy1 (11)
10/29/2009 1:55:11 PM
I am not switching to Q because Money is better - only Money has
Bills/Deposits, Cash Flow tool and customizable reports that actually work
well.  I use Money to manage and plan our finances.  Without the above 3
features I cannot do that.  At best Q is different, not better.

Even if Q did everything Money does, I would not switch because I already
know Money cold and it does everything I need.  I have data back to 1980 in
well over 100 accounts organized to my exact specifications.  Switching
would be a complete waste of time since there is nothing to gain.

I have not seen anyone describe a convincing reason to switch.

For whatever its worth, I distrust both MSFT and Intuit equally.

Regards

Bill Wood

0
nospam7515 (2086)
10/29/2009 8:28:00 PM
"mfogarty" <mfogarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

 "I'm hoping this thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or
not switch (to Quicken) that people might not have thought of by themselves.

I'm not sure that computers think yet.

0
nobody3086 (71)
10/31/2009 9:06:04 AM
The biggest reason that I am not switching to Quicken is that Quicken does
not have the same capabilities as Microsoft Money. One of the biggest things
that I do in Microsoft Money as bills come in, I go and edit the occurrence
for the new bill. This is not possible in Quicken.

> [...]
> products(Mint, Quicken for PC, Quicken for Mac and Quicken Online).  If
> you
> read the interview linked below you will see that the Intuit spokesperson
> and
> the Mint founder disagree on many of their answers.
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10375357-250.html
>
> Do you believe a 27 year-old who probably thinks that desktop software is
> for dinosaurs will maintain the version of Quicken you would be switching
> to?
> Maybe he will see the light why people don't want to trust their financial
> data to the cloud.  Or maybe he won't.  Who knows.
>
> I expect for clues about his vision for the 4 products to emerge in 2010
> so
> I plan on waiting until my MS Money online updates expire in January 2011
> before I decide whether or not to make the leap.

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/2/2009 2:17:37 AM
James E. Freedle II wrote:
> The biggest reason that I am not switching to Quicken is that Quicken
> does not have the same capabilities as Microsoft Money.

> One of the
> biggest things that I do in Microsoft Money as bills come in, I go
> and edit the occurrence for the new bill. This is not possible in
> Quicken.

As you have described it: your statement is false.

I suggest you make your statement much more specific, so it can be
compared to reality.

--

John Pollard

0
invalid460 (432)
11/2/2009 2:52:35 AM
What the heck do you mean? You need to be more specific so that the rest of
the educated population may be able to understand what you are talking
about.

"John Pollard" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> James E. Freedle II wrote:
>> The biggest reason that I am not switching to Quicken is that Quicken
>> does not have the same capabilities as Microsoft Money.
>
>> One of the
>> biggest things that I do in Microsoft Money as bills come in, I go
>> and edit the occurrence for the new bill. This is not possible in
>> Quicken.
>
> As you have described it: your statement is false.
>
> I suggest you make your statement much more specific, so it can be
> compared to reality.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/2/2009 6:34:51 PM
James E. Freedle II wrote:
> What the heck do you mean? You need to be more specific so that the
> rest of the educated population may be able to understand what you
> are talking about.

I mean what you said "is not possible" in Quicken (as you described it),
*is* possible in Quicken.  So either you didn't describe what you want to
do very clearly, or you're not talking about either of the Quicken
versions that will use the new Converter to convert Money files, or your
statement is not incorrect.

I mean you CAN edit the next "occurance" of a scheduled transaction (a
"bill") in Quicken - in both Q2009 and Q2010.

--

John Pollard

0
invalid460 (432)
11/3/2009 1:32:13 AM
Yes, it is true that you can edit the next occurrence of the next
bill. BUT if it's a split, you can't really adjust that (at least, I
haven't been able to find how in Q2010). That's my case for my Gas &
Electric bill, or my cable/internet/phone bill.

MS Money has a much more elegant solution for this.

Jose

"William R Wood" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I am not switching to Q because Money is better - only Money has
>Bills/Deposits, Cash Flow tool and customizable reports that actually work
>well.  I use Money to manage and plan our finances.  Without the above 3
>features I cannot do that.  At best Q is different, not better.
>
>Even if Q did everything Money does, I would not switch because I already
>know Money cold and it does everything I need.  I have data back to 1980 in
>well over 100 accounts organized to my exact specifications.  Switching
>would be a complete waste of time since there is nothing to gain.
>
>I have not seen anyone describe a convincing reason to switch.
>
>For whatever its worth, I distrust both MSFT and Intuit equally.

While I generally agree with this, I need online updates. Even if
you don't, eventually, you will buy a PC that Money won't install
on, or even if it does, may not work properly. It is tied to IE
very closely, so IE9, 10, 11, etc. may totally break it. I'd say
five years minimum before you run into that issue.
Ed Hansberry  (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
I used to fear the same thing.

Given the increasing popularity of virtual environments--primarily aimed at
helping the customers MS really cares about, keep legacy XP/IE6 zombie apps
operable till eternity--I'm less sure of this than I would have been even a
couple of years back.

I just brought up a copy of Chip's Challenge from 1992 era WEP4 in XPmode on
WVPC on Win7 64-bit. Works just like 1992 was here all over again. Only
maybe a little faster.

I'm thinking Money will be able to live in these kinds of environments--if
not the native one--for a decade, easy. Maybe two.

On a side subject: Why do you set your messages x-no-archive? It's
unfortunate to see that your posts won't be available in the groups.google
archive.

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message

> While I generally agree with this, I need online updates. Even if
> you don't, eventually, you will buy a PC that Money won't install
> on, or even if it does, may not work properly. It is tied to IE
> very closely, so IE9, 10, 11, etc. may totally break it. I'd say
> five years minimum before you run into that issue.

That is what I was saying. If you edit the next occurrence of the bill, it
will modify all future occurrences of the bill. So say I am budgeting $60 a
month on a bill and I get the bill and it is $59.50. If I edit the bill in
Quicken will will change my bill to always be $59.50. This is not correct,
it should NOT change all future occurrences of a bill. In addition Quicken
destroys data. In the event that you void a transaction and if you
accidently hit the wrong one, better hope you remember what the amount was
as the Quicken software developers were not smart enough to simply put the
void as a Yes\No field and just ignore the transaction when calculating the
balance. What other data do they destroy?

"Jose" <jose.simonplaza@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it is true that you can edit the next occurrence of the next
> bill. BUT if it's a split, you can't really adjust that (at least, I
> haven't been able to find how in Q2010). That's my case for my Gas &
> Electric bill, or my cable/internet/phone bill.
>
> MS Money has a much more elegant solution for this.
>
> Jose
>

> On Nov 2, 5:32 pm, "John Pollard" <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> James E. Freedle II wrote:
>>
>> > What the heck do you mean? You need to be more specific so that the
>> > rest of the educated population may be able to understand what you
>> > are talking about.
>>
>> I mean what you said "is not possible" in Quicken (as you described it),
>> *is* possible in Quicken.  So either you didn't describe what you want to
>> do very clearly, or you're not talking about either of the Quicken
>> versions that will use the new Converter to convert Money files, or your
>> statement is not incorrect.
>>
>> I mean you CAN edit the next "occurance" of a scheduled transaction (a
>> "bill") in Quicken - in both Q2009 and Q2010.
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Pollard

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/5/2009 1:01:14 PM
Why would you use Google at all?

message news:Oq5IXAeXKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I used to fear the same thing.
>
> Given the increasing popularity of virtual environments--primarily aimed
> at helping the customers MS really cares about, keep legacy XP/IE6 zombie
> apps operable till eternity--I'm less sure of this than I would have been
> even a couple of years back.
>
> I just brought up a copy of Chip's Challenge from 1992 era WEP4 in XPmode
> on WVPC on Win7 64-bit. Works just like 1992 was here all over again. Only
> maybe a little faster.
>
> I'm thinking Money will be able to live in these kinds of environments--if
> not the native one--for a decade, easy. Maybe two.
>
> On a side subject: Why do you set your messages x-no-archive? It's
> unfortunate to see that your posts won't be available in the groups.google
> archive.
>
> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>
>> While I generally agree with this, I need online updates. Even if
>> you don't, eventually, you will buy a PC that Money won't install
>> on, or even if it does, may not work properly. It is tied to IE
>> very closely, so IE9, 10, 11, etc. may totally break it. I'd say
>> five years minimum before you run into that issue.

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/5/2009 1:02:53 PM
James E. Freedle II wrote:
> That is what I was saying. If you edit the next occurrence of the
> bill, it will modify all future occurrences of the bill. So say I am
> budgeting $60 a month on a bill and I get the bill and it is $59.50.
> If I edit the bill in Quicken will will change my bill to always be
> $59.50.

And I'm saying: not true.

If you click the Edit button that is on the specific scheduled transaction
whose next occurance you want to edit (NOT the Edit option in the Bill and
Income Reminders menu), you will be given the option to choose "Next
occurance" or "All occurrances".

--

John Pollard

0
invalid460 (432)
11/5/2009 2:01:30 PM
Perhaps you miss my point. groups.google picks up the Usenet feed of this
NG. It has the longest/best archive of the group and, when their search is
working, the best--far and away--search capability. Regardless of how you
read and post to the group (within three choices--groups.google.com, direct
via Usenet (news:msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.money), or by the
occasionally brain-damaged Microsoft Community forum; all of the sites that
pass off Usenet as their own forum earn my undying contempt),
groups.google.com is a valuable resource. And when the MS Community is
confused--as it was yesterday--I find groups.google.com my only other way to
get here at some times of the day. Including X-No-Archive in the header info
of a Usenet post causes groups.google.com to remove the post after six or
seven days.

"James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> Why would you use Google at all?

I wasn't going to ask this, but since we're on a similar topic, I will.

In Quicken 2010 Deluxe, is there any way to edit a single future transaction
that is NOT the next transaction?  For example, Money allows one to edit a
single transaction if it is one of the next 12 transactions.

> James E. Freedle II wrote:
>> That is what I was saying. If you edit the next occurrence of the
>> bill, it will modify all future occurrences of the bill. So say I am
>> budgeting $60 a month on a bill and I get the bill and it is $59.50.
>> If I edit the bill in Quicken will will change my bill to always be
>> $59.50.
>
> And I'm saying: not true.
>
> If you click the Edit button that is on the specific scheduled transaction
> whose next occurance you want to edit (NOT the Edit option in the Bill and
> Income Reminders menu), you will be given the option to choose "Next
> occurance" or "All occurrances".
>
>> This is not correct, it should NOT change all future
>> occurrences of a bill. In addition Quicken destroys data. In the
>> event that you void a transaction and if you accidently hit the wrong
>> one, better hope you remember what the amount was as the Quicken
>> software developers were not smart enough to simply put the void as a
>> Yes\No field and just ignore the transaction when calculating the
>> balance. What other data do they destroy?
>> "Jose" <jose.simonplaza@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, it is true that you can edit the next occurrence of the next
>>> bill. BUT if it's a split, you can't really adjust that (at least, I
>>> haven't been able to find how in Q2010). That's my case for my Gas &
>>> Electric bill, or my cable/internet/phone bill.
>>>
>>> MS Money has a much more elegant solution for this.
>>>
>>> Jose

> --
>
> John Pollard

0
Digger1 (6)
11/5/2009 4:31:31 PM
Ed,

Guaranteed that I will zoom past your 5 year prediction without breaking a
sweat.  :)

My approach will be to maintain a legacy box to run Money forever.  I might
also try a virtual machine at some point but I bet that I can keep Money
going for at least 30 years by simply running XP or Win7 or whatever comes
along plus a version of IE that still runs money on then current hardware.
I build my own computers so all I have to do to keep a simple box going
indefinitely is stock up some spare parts.  Thus I don't care if future
versions of Windows or IE break Money - I will be using whatever older
version of Windows/IE still works.  Of course I will also run a separate
computer with current hardware and software for general purposes.

As to online updates, I like them but don't absolutely need them.  I will
type my transaction data in manually before switching to software that will
not do what I need.  Now if Q gets better or somebody else puts out software
that is actually better than Money for my purposes, I would switch.  I don't
think that is ever going to happen since it hasn't happened yet.  The online
crap that now seems to be gaining popularity is worthless to me.

Regards

Bill Wood

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message

> While I generally agree with this, I need online updates. Even if
> you don't, eventually, you will buy a PC that Money won't install
> on, or even if it does, may not work properly. It is tied to IE
> very closely, so IE9, 10, 11, etc. may totally break it. I'd say
> five years minimum before you run into that issue.
> Ed Hansberry  (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
nospam7515 (2086)
11/5/2009 5:04:09 PM
I just got to say, I miss having Chip's Challenge. I loved that little guy.

cindy

message news:Oq5IXAeXKHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I used to fear the same thing.
>
> Given the increasing popularity of virtual environments--primarily aimed
> at helping the customers MS really cares about, keep legacy XP/IE6 zombie
> apps operable till eternity--I'm less sure of this than I would have been
> even a couple of years back.
>
> I just brought up a copy of Chip's Challenge from 1992 era WEP4 in XPmode
> on WVPC on Win7 64-bit. Works just like 1992 was here all over again. Only
> maybe a little faster.
>
> I'm thinking Money will be able to live in these kinds of environments--if
> not the native one--for a decade, easy. Maybe two.
>
> On a side subject: Why do you set your messages x-no-archive? It's
> unfortunate to see that your posts won't be available in the groups.google
> archive.
>
> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>
>> While I generally agree with this, I need online updates. Even if
>> you don't, eventually, you will buy a PC that Money won't install
>> on, or even if it does, may not work properly. It is tied to IE
>> very closely, so IE9, 10, 11, etc. may totally break it. I'd say
>> five years minimum before you run into that issue.

0
cconover1 (65)
11/5/2009 5:09:03 PM
No. You can only change the next occurrence. Or at least, in my few
weeks of using Q2010, I haven't been able to find how.

This is one of the things I miss from Money, but being able to edit
the next bill covers most (not really ALL, but most) of my needs on
this regard.

But then there are things I'm finding in Quicken that Money didn't
have/or not as good/nice/convenient, and the more I dig into Quicken,
the more useful things I'm finding. For example:
 - I can see, under Investing Activity, a quarterly summary of my 401
(k), with the beginning value of the quarter, the new deposits,
interests, dividends, realized gains, and change in market value, to
build up to the ending value of the quarter. And I can see all 4
quarters this year, but also previous and future years. Can you create
a "similar" report in Money?  Yes. But this is right in the overview
page of the account, along with the performance.

All in all, I think the change to Q (going back to the original
questions) is an improvement. Not a dramatic one, but I am definitely
no worse.

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com>
wrote:

>I used to fear the same thing.
>
>Given the increasing popularity of virtual environments--primarily aimed at
>helping the customers MS really cares about, keep legacy XP/IE6 zombie apps
>operable till eternity--I'm less sure of this than I would have been even a
>couple of years back.

Yeah, I thought about a VM. As long as you have the license for
it, it is a good route to take.

>I just brought up a copy of Chip's Challenge from 1992 era WEP4 in XPmode on
>WVPC on Win7 64-bit. Works just like 1992 was here all over again. Only
>maybe a little faster.
>
>I'm thinking Money will be able to live in these kinds of environments--if
>not the native one--for a decade, easy. Maybe two.
>
>On a side subject: Why do you set your messages x-no-archive? It's
>unfortunate to see that your posts won't be available in the groups.google
>archive.

There are a number of reasons why anyone wouldn't want their
posts to live on indefinitely in on the internet.

>"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
><spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>
>> While I generally agree with this, I need online updates. Even if
>> you don't, eventually, you will buy a PC that Money won't install
>> on, or even if it does, may not work properly. It is tied to IE
>> very closely, so IE9, 10, 11, etc. may totally break it. I'd say
>> five years minimum before you run into that issue.
Ed Hansberry  (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
I got over that a long time ago. I suspect it's too late for you too. But at
least your posts will be a little harder to find.

> There are a number of reasons why anyone wouldn't want their
> posts to live on indefinitely in on the internet.

Ah, well I do not trust google with junk and so I myself have blocked it. I
only use Windows Live Mail to access Newsgroups.

message news:etWJgFiXKHA.2008@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Perhaps you miss my point. groups.google picks up the Usenet feed of this
> NG. It has the longest/best archive of the group and, when their search is
> working, the best--far and away--search capability. Regardless of how you
> read and post to the group (within three choices--groups.google.com,
> direct via Usenet (news:msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.money), or
> by the occasionally brain-damaged Microsoft Community forum; all of the
> sites that pass off Usenet as their own forum earn my undying contempt),
> groups.google.com is a valuable resource. And when the MS Community is
> confused--as it was yesterday--I find groups.google.com my only other way
> to get here at some times of the day. Including X-No-Archive in the header
> info of a Usenet post causes groups.google.com to remove the post after
> six or seven days.
>
> "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> Why would you use Google at all?

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/7/2009 12:43:58 PM
Bill,
I am going to apply almost the same approach. I have many virtual machines
and several of them are older operating systems like Windows for Workgroups
3.11/DOS 6.22, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition,
Windows 2000 Professional, Windows xp Home Edition & Windows xp Professional
Edition. I just recently upgraded my Windows Vista installations to Windows
7 and I really do not see a need to create Windows Vista virtual machines, I
might just to have a virtual machine running Windows Vista. I will use a
virtual machine before having old hardware around. I have a Windows Home
Server that backs up every thing every night so I have good backups. That
way I am assured to have Money as long as I want to use it. :)

"William R Wood" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> Guaranteed that I will zoom past your 5 year prediction without breaking a
> sweat.  :)
>
> My approach will be to maintain a legacy box to run Money forever.  I
> might also try a virtual machine at some point but I bet that I can keep
> Money going for at least 30 years by simply running XP or Win7 or whatever
> comes along plus a version of IE that still runs money on then current
> hardware. I build my own computers so all I have to do to keep a simple
> box going indefinitely is stock up some spare parts.  Thus I don't care if
> future versions of Windows or IE break Money - I will be using whatever
> older version of Windows/IE still works.  Of course I will also run a
> separate computer with current hardware and software for general purposes.
>
> As to online updates, I like them but don't absolutely need them.  I will
> type my transaction data in manually before switching to software that
> will not do what I need.  Now if Q gets better or somebody else puts out
> software that is actually better than Money for my purposes, I would
> switch.  I don't think that is ever going to happen since it hasn't
> happened yet.  The online crap that now seems to be gaining popularity is
> worthless to me.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill Wood
>

> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>
>> While I generally agree with this, I need online updates. Even if
>> you don't, eventually, you will buy a PC that Money won't install
>> on, or even if it does, may not work properly. It is tied to IE
>> very closely, so IE9, 10, 11, etc. may totally break it. I'd say
>> five years minimum before you run into that issue.
>> --
>> __________________________________________________________________________________
>> Ed Hansberry  (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of
>> all)
>> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
>> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/7/2009 12:50:40 PM
Maybe they changed it for Quicken 2010, I could only test Quicken 2008 as
that is the only trial version that I could find on the internet.

> No. You can only change the next occurrence. Or at least, in my few
> weeks of using Q2010, I haven't been able to find how.
>
> This is one of the things I miss from Money, but being able to edit
> the next bill covers most (not really ALL, but most) of my needs on
> this regard.
>
> But then there are things I'm finding in Quicken that Money didn't
> have/or not as good/nice/convenient, and the more I dig into Quicken,
> the more useful things I'm finding. For example:
> - I can see, under Investing Activity, a quarterly summary of my 401
> (k), with the beginning value of the quarter, the new deposits,
> interests, dividends, realized gains, and change in market value, to
> build up to the ending value of the quarter. And I can see all 4
> quarters this year, but also previous and future years. Can you create
> a "similar" report in Money?  Yes. But this is right in the overview
> page of the account, along with the performance.
>
> All in all, I think the change to Q (going back to the original
> questions) is an improvement. Not a dramatic one, but I am definitely
> no worse.
>

> On Nov 5, 8:31 am, "Mike" <Dig...@Comcast.Net> wrote:
>> I wasn't going to ask this, but since we're on a similar topic, I will.
>>
>> In Quicken 2010 Deluxe, is there any way to edit a single future
>> transaction
>> that is NOT the next transaction?  For example, Money allows one to edit
>> single transaction if it is one of the next 12 transactions.
>>
>> "John Pollard" <inva...@invalid.com> wrote in message

>> > And I'm saying: not true.
>>
>> > If you click the Edit button that is on the specific scheduled
>> > transaction
>> > whose next occurance you want to edit (NOT the Edit option in the Bill
>> > and
>> > Income Reminders menu), you will be given the option to choose "Next
>> > occurance" or "All occurrances".

>> > --
>>
>> > John Pollard

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/7/2009 12:53:07 PM
How so?
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a4562dd805d8

Dick Watson wrote:
> How so?
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a4562dd805d8
>
> "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> Ah, well I do not trust google with junk and so I myself have blocked it.

I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of messages from Google
groups on his pc....  after all I don't think it's possible to be able
to block Google groups from getting ones messages through other
newsgroup servers.

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01CA5FE6.CD597830

Right, I blocked anyone from being able to access Google from my home =
network.
  "Roy Smith" <rasmith1959@gmail.com> wrote in message =
  Dick Watson wrote:
  > How so?
  > =
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a4562dd805d=
8
  >=20
  > "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
  >> Ah, well I do not trust google with junk and so I myself have =
blocked it.=20
  >=20

  I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of messages from =
Google
  groups on his pc....  after all I don't think it's possible to be able
  to block Google groups from getting ones messages through other
  newsgroup servers.

  --=20

  Roy Smith
  Windows XP Pro SP3
------=_NextPart_000_0055_01CA5FE6.CD597830

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16444"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Right, I blocked anyone from being able =
to access=20
Google from my home network.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Roy Smith" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:rasmith1959@gmail.com&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link" =

  href=3D"mailto:rasmith1959@gmail.com">rasmith1959@gmail.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:OqT9jq9XKHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:OqT9jq9XKHA.3448=
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>Dick=20
  Watson wrote:<BR>&gt; How so?<BR>&gt; <A=20
  =
title=3D"http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a4=
562dd805d8&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a45=
62dd805d8">http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66=
a4562dd805d8</A><BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; "James E. Freedle II" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
  href=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org">nobody@nowhere.org</A>&gt; wrote in =

  message<BR>&gt; <A=20
  title=3D"news:#hEWMg6XKHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:#hEWMg6XKHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:#hEWMg6XKHA.4068=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  Ah, well I do not trust google with junk and so I myself have blocked =
it.=20
  <BR>&gt; <BR><BR>I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of =
messages=20
  from Google<BR>groups on his pc....&nbsp; after all I don't think it's =

  possible to be able<BR>to block Google groups from getting ones =
messages=20
  through other<BR>newsgroup servers.<BR><BR>-- <BR><BR>Roy =
Smith<BR>Windows XP=20
  Pro SP3</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01CA5FE6.CD597830--

0
nobody2306 (33)

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CA5FE7.906E9210

If I could block google from doing anything I would.
    Dick Watson wrote:
    > How so?
    > =
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a4562dd805d=
8
    >=20
    > "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    >> Ah, well I do not trust google with junk and so I myself have =
blocked it.=20
    >=20

    I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of messages from =
Google
    groups on his pc....  after all I don't think it's possible to be =
able
    to block Google groups from getting ones messages through other
    newsgroup servers.

    --=20

    Roy Smith
    Windows XP Pro SP3
------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CA5FE7.906E9210

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16444"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>If I could block google from doing =
anything I=20
would.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV>"James E. Freedle II" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
  href=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org">nobody@nowhere.org</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
  <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:uD8sIDBYKHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:uD8sIDBYKHA.3504=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Right, I blocked anyone from being =
able to access=20
  Google from my home network.</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
    <DIV>"Roy Smith" &lt;<A=20
    title=3D"mailto:rasmith1959@gmail.com&#10;CTRL + Click to follow =
link"=20
[...]
in=20
    message<BR>&gt; <A=20
    title=3D"news:#hEWMg6XKHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
    =
href=3D"news:#hEWMg6XKHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:#hEWMg6XKHA.4068=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
    Ah, well I do not trust google with junk and so I myself have =
blocked it.=20
    <BR>&gt; <BR><BR>I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of =

    messages from Google<BR>groups on his pc....&nbsp; after all I don't =
think=20
    it's possible to be able<BR>to block Google groups from getting ones =

    messages through other<BR>newsgroup servers.<BR><BR>-- <BR><BR>Roy=20
    Smith<BR>Windows XP Pro SP3</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CA5FE7.906E9210--

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/8/2009 1:19:09 AM
You trust Microsoft more?

If I could block google from doing anything I would.

That's kinda like blocking your phone from receiving TV. It's still
broadcasting...

And, yes, Usenet feeds to anybody set up to receive it. That's kinda its
reason for being.

"Roy Smith" <rasmith1959@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of messages from Google
> groups on his pc....  after all I don't think it's possible to be able
> to block Google groups from getting ones messages through other
> newsgroup servers.

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CA604F.24F8F9E0

Microsoft is more trustworthy than Google. I know Microsoft's =
motivations, just like Apple, Google wants to control every thought that =
you have and every action that you take. If I had enough money I would =
buy both companies and dismantle them.
  "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in =
message news:%23APOXmCYKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
  You trust Microsoft more?

  "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message=20
> [...]
  If I could block google from doing anything I would.=20

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CA604F.24F8F9E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16444"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Microsoft is more trustworthy than =
Google. I know=20
Microsoft's motivations, just like Apple, Google wants to control every =
thought=20
that you have and every action that you take. If I had enough money I =
would buy=20
both companies and dismantle them.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Dick Watson" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com&#10;CTRL =
+ Click to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com">littlegreeng=
ecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  title=3D"news:%23APOXmCYKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:%23APOXmCYKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:%23APOXmCYKHA.=
1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>You=20
  trust Microsoft more?<BR><BR>"James E. Freedle II" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
  href=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org">nobody@nowhere.org</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
  <BR><A=20
  title=3D"news:Omx4LGBYKHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:Omx4LGBYKHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:Omx4LGBYKHA.3696=
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>If=20
  I could block google from doing anything I would.=20
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CA604F.24F8F9E0--

0
nobody2306 (33)

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01CA6050.523844F0

Bear in mind that I have absolutely no allegiance to Microsoft. They do =
stupid things as well. I just do not dislike them as all the stupid open =
source developers do and as much as Apple does. I do not trust Microsoft =
any more than any other company that is out to make a profit. I just =
trust Google and Apple much less than Microsoft. I guess that you could =
say it like this, I do not trust Microsoft but I distrust both Apple and =
Google.
  Microsoft is more trustworthy than Google. I know Microsoft's =
motivations, just like Apple, Google wants to control every thought that =
you have and every action that you take. If I had enough money I would =
buy both companies and dismantle them.
    "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote =
in message news:%23APOXmCYKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    You trust Microsoft more?

    "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message=20
    If I could block google from doing anything I would.=20

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01CA6050.523844F0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16444"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Bear in mind that I have absolutely no =
allegiance=20
to Microsoft. They do stupid things as well. I just do not dislike them =
as all=20
the stupid open source developers do and as much as Apple does. I do not =
trust=20
Microsoft any more than any other company that is out to make a profit. =
I just=20
trust Google and Apple much less than Microsoft. I guess that you could =
say it=20
like this, I do not trust Microsoft but I distrust both Apple and=20
Google.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV>"James E. Freedle II" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org">nobody@nowhere.org</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
  <A=20
  title=3D"news:%231IYkkHYKHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:%231IYkkHYKHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl">news:%231IYkkHYKHA.=
4452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Microsoft is more trustworthy than =
Google. I know=20
  Microsoft's motivations, just like Apple, Google wants to control =
every=20
  thought that you have and every action that you take. If I had enough =
money I=20
  would buy both companies and dismantle them.</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
    <DIV>"Dick Watson" &lt;<A=20
    =
    wrote in message <A=20
    title=3D"news:%23APOXmCYKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + =
Click to follow link"=20
    =
href=3D"news:%23APOXmCYKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:%23APOXmCYKHA.=
1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>You=20
    trust Microsoft more?<BR><BR>"James E. Freedle II" &lt;<A=20
    title=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link"=20
    href=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org">nobody@nowhere.org</A>&gt; wrote =
in message=20
    <BR><A=20
    title=3D"news:Omx4LGBYKHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
    =
href=3D"news:Omx4LGBYKHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:Omx4LGBYKHA.3696=
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>If=20
    I could block google from doing anything I would.=20
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01CA6050.523844F0--

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/8/2009 1:49:02 PM
Jim,

That is very interesting.

Could you give us a few details about the software you are using to create
the virtual machines?  I still have DOS 6.22, Win for Workgroups 3.11,
Win98, Win2K and software that runs on that old stuff.  It would be nice to
get that stuff running again.  So far I know nothing about virtual machines
so any tips would be great.

Regards

Bill Wood

> Bill,
> I am going to apply almost the same approach. I have many virtual machines
> and several of them are older operating systems like Windows for
> Workgroups 3.11/DOS 6.22, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium
> Edition, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows xp Home Edition & Windows xp
> Professional Edition. I just recently upgraded my Windows Vista
> installations to Windows 7 and I really do not see a need to create
> Windows Vista virtual machines, I might just to have a virtual machine
> running Windows Vista. I will use a virtual machine before having old
> hardware around. I have a Windows Home Server that backs up every thing
> every night so I have good backups. That way I am assured to have Money as
> long as I want to use it. :)

0
nospam7515 (2086)
11/8/2009 2:18:17 PM
Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dick Watson wrote:
>> How so?
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a4562dd805d8
>>
>> "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>>> Ah, well I do not trust google with junk and so I myself have blocked it.
>>

>I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of messages from Google
>groups on his pc....  after all I don't think it's possible to be able
>to block Google groups from getting ones messages through other
>newsgroup servers.

Sure you can. Set X-No-Archive to yes. They will honor that and
not retain your message.
Ed Hansberry  (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
I learned something new today.  Thanks, Ed.

Found additional info here:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive

> Roy Smith <rasmith1959@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Dick Watson wrote:
>>> How so?
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/msg/8a66a4562dd805d8
>>>
>>> "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>>>

>>I think he means that he's blocked the receiving of messages from
>>Google
>>groups on his pc....  after all I don't think it's possible to be able
>>to block Google groups from getting ones messages through other
>>newsgroup servers.
>
> Sure you can. Set X-No-Archive to yes. They will honor that and
> not retain your message.
> Ed Hansberry  (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of
> all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
Brent
11/9/2009 7:20:49 PM
"Brent" <undefined> wrote:

>I learned something new today.  Thanks, Ed.
>
>Found additional info here:
>
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive

So did I. I didn't realize they kept the message for 6 days then
deleted it. Interesting.
William R Wood wrote:
> Jim,
>
> That is very interesting.
>
> Could you give us a few details about the software you are using to create
> the virtual machines?  I still have DOS 6.22, Win for Workgroups 3.11,
> Win98, Win2K and software that runs on that old stuff.  It would be nice to
> get that stuff running again.  So far I know nothing about virtual machines
> so any tips would be great.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill Wood
>

> "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> Bill,
>> I am going to apply almost the same approach. I have many virtual machines
>> and several of them are older operating systems like Windows for
>> Workgroups 3.11/DOS 6.22, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium
>> Edition, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows xp Home Edition & Windows xp
>> Professional Edition. I just recently upgraded my Windows Vista
>> installations to Windows 7 and I really do not see a need to create
>> Windows Vista virtual machines, I might just to have a virtual machine
>> running Windows Vista. I will use a virtual machine before having old
>> hardware around. I have a Windows Home Server that backs up every thing
>> every night so I have good backups. That way I am assured to have Money as
>> long as I want to use it. :)

Well I'm not Jim, but I have been toyinf around with virtual machine
software lately.  Mainly I've been using Sun's Virtual Box and VMware's
Vmware Player.  Of the 2 I prefer Vmware over virtualbox.

Both program basically set up an environment on your PC where you can
install another Operating System and it see's it as a separate PC with
nothing else on it.  Both virtual PC programs include a set of guest OS
tools which must be installed in them.  These tools offer such things as
drivers for video, sound, mouse and keyboard plus a few other things.
These customized drivers also provide special features such as
automatically adjusting the video resolution when the guest OS window is
resized, automatically capturing and releasing the mouse pointer as it
passes over the guest OS window and more.

The bad thing is that Sun's Virtualbox's guest tools don't support any
Windows OS past Windows XP.  There is a lot more I could go into, but
since this is off topic for this newsgroups I'll stop.  Though one last
thing, my favorite of the two is Vmware.  If you want to talk about this
more, my email address on this message is valid.

--

Roy Smith
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CA636D.954124E0

Will have to find out how to add that to Windows Live Mail.
  "Brent" <undefined> wrote:

  >I learned something new today.  Thanks, Ed.
  >
  >Found additional info here:
  >
  >        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive

  So did I. I didn't realize they kept the message for 6 days then
  deleted it. Interesting.=20
  --=20
  =
_________
  Ed Hansberry  (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of =
all)
  Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices   www.pocketpc.com
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CA636D.954124E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16444"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Will have to find out how to add that =
to Windows=20
Live Mail.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com">spamfree-silve=
rnino@hotmail.spambegone.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:9qulf5tdhrv1jb6jlbjfav7b4ncehi3afd@4ax.com">news:9qulf5tdhrv=
1jb6jlbjfav7b4ncehi3afd@4ax.com</A>...</DIV>"Brent"=20
  &lt;undefined&gt; wrote:<BR><BR>&gt;I learned something new =
today.&nbsp;=20
  Thanks, Ed.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Found additional info=20
  here:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive">http://en.wikipedia.or=
g/wiki/X-No-Archive</A><BR>&gt;<BR><BR>So=20
  did I. I didn't realize they kept the message for 6 days =
then<BR>deleted it.=20
  Interesting. <BR>--=20
  =
<BR>_____________________________________________________________________=
_____________<BR>Ed=20
  Hansberry&nbsp; (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit =
of=20
  all)<BR>What is on my Pocket PC? <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.ehansberry.com/">http://www.ehansberry.com/</A><BR>Mic=
rosoft=20
  MVP - Mobile Devices&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
  href=3D"http://www.pocketpc.com">www.pocketpc.com</A><BR>What is an =
MVP? - <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/">http://mvp.support.microsoft.c=
om/</A></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CA636D.954124E0--

0
nobody2306 (33)

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CA636D.F56E1DA0

I was using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 until Windows 7, now I am using =
Windows Virtual PC. I tried VMware workstation and I do own VMware =
Workstation 3.0, but upgraded to Virtual PC because it was engineered =
better, and then Microsoft purchased it. I tried Sun Virtual Box but =
found it had too many bugs that I really did not want to deal with.
  William R Wood wrote:
  > Jim,
  >=20
  > That is very interesting.
  >=20
  > Could you give us a few details about the software you are using to =
create=20
  > the virtual machines?  I still have DOS 6.22, Win for Workgroups =
3.11,=20
  > Win98, Win2K and software that runs on that old stuff.  It would be =
nice to=20
  > get that stuff running again.  So far I know nothing about virtual =
machines=20
  > so any tips would be great.
  >=20
  > Regards
  >=20
  > Bill Wood
  >=20
  >=20
  > "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message=20
  >> Bill,
  >> I am going to apply almost the same approach. I have many virtual =
machines=20
  >> and several of them are older operating systems like Windows for=20
  >> Workgroups 3.11/DOS 6.22, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows =
Millennium=20
  >> Edition, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows xp Home Edition & =
Windows xp=20
  >> Professional Edition. I just recently upgraded my Windows Vista=20
  >> installations to Windows 7 and I really do not see a need to create =

  >> Windows Vista virtual machines, I might just to have a virtual =
machine=20
  >> running Windows Vista. I will use a virtual machine before having =
old=20
  >> hardware around. I have a Windows Home Server that backs up every =
thing=20
  >> every night so I have good backups. That way I am assured to have =
Money as=20
  >> long as I want to use it. :)

  Well I'm not Jim, but I have been toyinf around with virtual machine
  software lately.  Mainly I've been using Sun's Virtual Box and =
VMware's
  Vmware Player.  Of the 2 I prefer Vmware over virtualbox.

  Both program basically set up an environment on your PC where you can
  install another Operating System and it see's it as a separate PC with
  nothing else on it.  Both virtual PC programs include a set of guest =
OS
  tools which must be installed in them.  These tools offer such things =
as
  drivers for video, sound, mouse and keyboard plus a few other things.
  These customized drivers also provide special features such as
  automatically adjusting the video resolution when the guest OS window =
is
  resized, automatically capturing and releasing the mouse pointer as it
  passes over the guest OS window and more.

  The bad thing is that Sun's Virtualbox's guest tools don't support any
  Windows OS past Windows XP.  There is a lot more I could go into, but
  since this is off topic for this newsgroups I'll stop.  Though one =
last
  thing, my favorite of the two is Vmware.  If you want to talk about =
this
  more, my email address on this message is valid.

  --=20

  Roy Smith
  Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala
------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CA636D.F56E1DA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16444"></HEAD>
15px"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I was using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 =
until Windows=20
7, now I am using Windows Virtual PC. I tried VMware workstation and I =
do own=20
VMware Workstation 3.0, but upgraded to Virtual PC because it was =
engineered=20
better, and then Microsoft purchased it. I tried Sun Virtual Box but =
found it=20
had too many bugs that I really did not want to deal with.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Roy Smith" &lt;<A=20
  title=3D"mailto:rasmith1959@gmail.com&#10;CTRL + Click to follow link" =

  href=3D"mailto:rasmith1959@gmail.com">rasmith1959@gmail.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:%23PBFNEwYKHA.1640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:%23PBFNEwYKHA.=
1640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>William=20
  R Wood wrote:<BR>&gt; Jim,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; That is very =
interesting.<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; Could you give us a few details about the software you are =
using to=20
  create <BR>&gt; the virtual machines?&nbsp; I still have DOS 6.22, Win =
for=20
  Workgroups 3.11, <BR>&gt; Win98, Win2K and software that runs on that =
old=20
  stuff.&nbsp; It would be nice to <BR>&gt; get that stuff running =
again.&nbsp;=20
  So far I know nothing about virtual machines <BR>&gt; so any tips =
would be=20
  great.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Regards<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Bill Wood<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; "James E. Freedle II" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:nobody@nowhere.org">nobody@nowhere.org</A>&gt; wrote in =
message=20
  <BR>&gt; <A=20
  title=3D"news:u9147j6XKHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl&#10;CTRL + Click =
to follow link"=20
  =
href=3D"news:u9147j6XKHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:u9147j6XKHA.3696=
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  Bill,<BR>&gt;&gt; I am going to apply almost the same approach. I have =
many=20
  virtual machines <BR>&gt;&gt; and several of them are older operating =
systems=20
  like Windows for <BR>&gt;&gt; Workgroups 3.11/DOS 6.22, Windows 98 =
Second=20
  Edition, Windows Millennium <BR>&gt;&gt; Edition, Windows 2000 =
Professional,=20
  Windows xp Home Edition &amp; Windows xp <BR>&gt;&gt; Professional =
Edition. I=20
  just recently upgraded my Windows Vista <BR>&gt;&gt; installations to =
Windows=20
  7 and I really do not see a need to create <BR>&gt;&gt; Windows Vista =
virtual=20
  machines, I might just to have a virtual machine <BR>&gt;&gt; running =
Windows=20
  Vista. I will use a virtual machine before having old <BR>&gt;&gt; =
hardware=20
  around. I have a Windows Home Server that backs up every thing =
<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  every night so I have good backups. That way I am assured to have =
Money as=20
  <BR>&gt;&gt; long as I want to use it. :)<BR><BR>Well I'm not Jim, but =
I have=20
  been toyinf around with virtual machine<BR>software lately.&nbsp; =
Mainly I've=20
  been using Sun's Virtual Box and VMware's<BR>Vmware Player.&nbsp; Of =
the 2 I=20
  prefer Vmware over virtualbox.<BR><BR>Both program basically set up an =

  environment on your PC where you can<BR>install another Operating =
System and=20
  it see's it as a separate PC with<BR>nothing else on it.&nbsp; Both =
virtual PC=20
  programs include a set of guest OS<BR>tools which must be installed in =

  them.&nbsp; These tools offer such things as<BR>drivers for video, =
sound,=20
  mouse and keyboard plus a few other things.<BR>These customized =
drivers also=20
  provide special features such as<BR>automatically adjusting the video=20
  resolution when the guest OS window is<BR>resized, automatically =
capturing and=20
  releasing the mouse pointer as it<BR>passes over the guest OS window =
and=20
  more.<BR><BR>The bad thing is that Sun's Virtualbox's guest tools =
don't=20
  support any<BR>Windows OS past Windows XP.&nbsp; There is a lot more I =
could=20
  go into, but<BR>since this is off topic for this newsgroups I'll =
stop.&nbsp;=20
  Though one last<BR>thing, my favorite of the two is Vmware.&nbsp; If =
you want=20
  to talk about this<BR>more, my email address on this message is=20
  valid.<BR><BR>-- <BR><BR>Roy Smith<BR>Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic=20
Koala</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CA636D.F56E1DA0--

0
nobody2306 (33)
11/12/2009 12:58:45 PM
 off topic but
 "James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
  If I could block google from doing anything I would.

message news:%23APOXmCYKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
  You trust Microsoft more?

"James E. Freedle II" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
Microsoft is more trustworthy than Google. I know Microsoft's motivations,
just like Apple, Google wants to control every thought that you have and
every action that you take. If I had enough money I would buy both companies
and dismantle them.
===============

James,
If you bought Apple or Google and dimantled them - leaving just Microsoft ..
WHO would do the innovation ? Google and Apple MADE computers USEFUL.
They could have done that without Microsoft.
linux,unix,CP/M or any other OS would have done nicely
Google and Apple have foresight.
Google was NOBODY a few years ago.
Two guys with an idea.
Prior to Google, for a vast majority of the users in the US, there was -
maybe -
Yahoo for internet, and Microsoft for software. For those that didn't know
about Yahoo it was msn ( when they opened IE they were brought there and
there they stayed.)
For any person I knew that isn't a computer pro, that's all they knew.
They bought a PC and opened Internet Explorer. ( or AOL if dial-up)

Then Google challenged Yahoo as a resource.
They had an idea of how to get info quicker to the user.
The rest is history.
AND for all of the resources that Google provides , how much has it cost you
? Nothing !

On the other hand:
Microsoft is great at MARKETING.
Microsoft bought DOS and LICENSED it to IBM.
Microsoft copied the concept of VisiCalc, 1-2-3 for Excel
Microsoft copied WordPerfect for Word.
Microsoft copied Apple's MAC concept for Windows
  ( actually Apple HIRED them to write the original code- back when it was
"them" against IBM)
Microsoft copied Netscape Navigator ( MOSAIC) for Internet Explorer
Microsoft copied Quicken for Money.
Microsoft copied, copied,copied
Their ONLY addition to the cause has been to keep prices down by squashing
any competition so that they had been the sole OS writer for years. So
without MSFT,  software might COST more. WITH only them, they have had
absolutely no need/desire to innovate. We'd be paying $200 for DOS 14.0

If you wanted to advance the industry, you'd choose Steve Ballmer over Steve
Jobs ?   Come On ....   Compare XBOX vs. IPod

Nintendo / Sony Playstation was selling for about $275 and selling a lot of
them
Microsoft wanted into the business. They undercut the price of the
competitors and sold ( still sell) the XBOX at a loss. This was when they
were being investigated by the govt for 'monopoly status' too ! At the time
Steve Ballmer said on the nightly news that they were losing about $100 on
each XBOX. Who/why would you do that ? How can you and I ( or Sony) compete
with a company that sells their product at a loss ? That's what the
antitrust laws are all about !
I'm glad that Europe doesn't let them get away with it.

Now look at the Apple IPod:
Steve Jobs went to Samsung and convinced THEM that "right now these flash
chips are new/expensive and you'll lose money at first, but once the IPod
catches on, you'll sell tens of millions of these chips and the cost will
drop to nothing". So Jobs showed them the IPod and convinced Samsung to
gamble. The IPod came out and the rest is history. Cost of IPod went down,
down, down. Apple and Samsung both made a ton of money and consumer prices
went from $300 to 200 to 100 to $50. Samsung is now into everything and
IPods are everywhere. They didn't COPY anything - they CREATED something.

To rephrase you, " If I had enough money , I WOULD buy both companies."
I'd love to be in their executive staff meetings.

0
Bobb

Can you switch a documnet from a poster to a letter?
Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you can resize the paper, but the test remains poster size. I would create a .pdf file with that poster and then using Reader, print and scale it down to letter size. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "o2binny" <o2binny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7EC493A-5E9E-4485-A710-9C5748010316@microsoft.com... > Once you created a poster can you resize it to a letter? I know that you > can > resize th...

So why are YOU switching or not switching to Quicken?
I have seen many posts from users who have switched to Quicken and others who have no plans at all to switch to Quicken. I have used MS Money for 10 years and didn't activate Money Plus until this year so I will get updates until the bitter end in Jan 2011. I'm hoping this thread will be useful to discuss reason(s) to switch or not switch that people might not have thought of by themselves. So here the reasons I have come up with for why someone would or would not switch to Quicken. What's yours? Reasons for switching - Upset Microsoft discontinued Money - Your onlin...

Have switched to Apple Mail!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Too many problems with syncing, missing email, etc. etc. <br><br>I've now switched to Apple Mail and it works WAY better! How easy was it to transfer all your old email and folders? 2008 was a big disappointment for me because I only got 1 minor feature I was waiting for (thesaurus access) and the HTML editing that nearly everyone asked for since 2004 came out was still missing. In fact, like Office 2007 on the PC, the user interface (in the other office applicat...

/3gb switch
On 2 brand new Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 installs, I have modified the boot.ini file to include the /3GB /USERVA=3030 Exactly as instructed on the knowledgebase. However, I still recieve the memory settings warning whenever the servers boot up. Any ideas? The following KB article should guide you through some other settings that can be modified to optimize memory usage. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=815372&product=exch2003 -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Jorge Azcuy" <Jorge Azcuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25EA3E6F-C66F-478A-...

VAT when converting from Quicken
Still evaluating Money 2004 Trial Version and, having liked what I saw when I converted my personal Quicken XG file to Money, I have now converted my small business Quicken file and have a problem with VAT. I've been through my accounts and enabled them for VAT. [Easy - just a few minutes] I've been through my categories and added the VAT percentage. [Fairly easy - under half-an-hour] However, the only way I've discovered of adding VAT to existing transactions is to amend each individual transaction (open Transaction, change Category drop-down box from Split/Multiple Categorie...

switching to windows 7
switching to windows 7, still need to have access to old e-mails. how can i access e-mails created in outlook express? Copy the ***ENTIRE*** OE message store to flash or CD. Do not copy individual dbx files. Put the copy of the message store on the Win7 Desktop. Open WLMail and File | Import | Messages | Outlook Express and point to where you saved them. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Jessica" <jstech@optonline.net> wrote in message news:uOEamPygKHA.1112@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > switching to windows 7, ...

switching
I am considering switching to MAC I recently bought Office for my PC. Do i have to re-purchase for MAC or are there any program from Microsoft to assist so i do not incur the double cost? thanks David In article <221401c49ca8$945b59b0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "David Knopf" <knopfd@woh.rr.com> wrote: > I am considering switching to MAC > > I recently bought Office for my PC. > > Do i have to re-purchase for MAC or are there any program > from Microsoft to assist so i do not incur the double > cost? Unfortunately, there's no discount/switch ...

switching from outlook express to outlook
I keep getting a mail delivery error, either saying "password required" or "the operation was cancelled". I've tried all combinations in the properties section of the account, to no avail. Of course, Express asks me for a password before kicking in. Any suggestions? "Barrie" <bhharry@telus.net> wrote in message news:05eb01c39539$a1626300$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I keep getting a mail delivery error, either > saying "password required" or "the operation was > cancelled". I've tried all combinations in the properties >...

User Switch
XP, Home Edition ,SP3 Hello! Somehow thru my own judgment error I have managed to become a Computer Administrator..Prior to today I would go directly to the desktop and begin using my PC..Now I find myself having to allow the computer to load my personal settings..I would like to go back to the default(?) I had but I have scoured the options to go back and I don't know how..I am anxious to go back to what I had..I have never shared my computer so I guess I am ignorant about switching users...Thanks so Much...Nick Run System Restore to a time before the problem began. ...

HELP. 2 Emails in 03' and need to switch them.... want new email M
Help! I have just added second email acct to 2003 + want new acct to appear so its connected to contacts,calendar,outbox... I'm unsure of how to explain it.... but I'll try. Note: I have already made this email account my default account. Currently, my view looks like this in "all mail folders" view under Mail in navigation pane: +Personal Folders Deleted items Drafts +Inbox ****(This is the inital email, and under OUTLOOK TODAY, THIS email account comes under inbox (seen under "messages" in Outlook Today.)**** Junk Email ...

Problems switching to new hardware
after removing active directory from the machine, I tried to activate it as a 2nd machine for the new Dell machine. No luck, it still could not locate the machine. After tinkering around I finally gave up and reinstalled the OS on the new machine from scratch. I recreated the user list and also installed the email server. We're up and running again. I only have one problem left. Our old domain was server1.xxx.org. The new domain I created was just xxx.org. So now anytime we try to access the external web site from our provider called xxx.org I don;t get it. I've tried to use the DNS ma...

Connecting Switches
Hi, I know this isn't strictly a SBS question but I'm hoping someone can answer me a simple (I hope) question. My SBS network has outgrown it's current office and we need to get a couple of PC's, telephones and a printer put in another office about 40 meters away. To get a bit of breathing space I want 10 data points in this new office (we will only need 5). My local voice / data installers are wanting to run 10 cat5e cables to this new office so will require around 500 meters of cabling and "x" amount of time for wages. I have a Dell PowerConnec...

how could i capture the event when my computer switch display device?
laptop could redirect the display output to another device by pressing Fn + special key, how could i know this happened? i have searched msdn for sometime, hanvn't found any window message related. does anyone know ? "thinktwice" <memorialday@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ea3d8cfa-2c80-445f-899e-630ec0bd9239@a8g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > laptop could redirect the display output to another device by pressing > Fn + special key, how could i know this happened? i have searched msdn > for sometime, hanvn't found any window message related. does anyone > ...

"Switch To" another application
I want to pop a running application up to the top of the screen. Basically I want to simulate the functionality of the "Switch to" feature in Task Manager. Naturally, it will not work. First off, I obtain the process handle by using EnumProcesses(). Next, after realizing that this was an area of the API with lots of holes, I find I must jump through hoops in order to "Switch To" this application. Next, I call GetProcessID() on my process handle. Next, I call EnumThreadWindows which inconvienently uses a callback function to obtain the window handles of the windows of t...

Newsonly switch
I see that Windows Live Mail has a newsonly switch, and I have used it to start WLM from DOS. I tried to add the switch to the right-clicked, "properties" target field, but was unable to do so. Is there any way to add the newsonly switch to the field(s) in the properties box? Or maybe elsewhere? Please help, and thank you in advance! Sincerely, Paine Ellsworth painius@aol.com "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /news -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Paine Ellsworth" <painius@aol.com> wrote in message news:emif1u0m...

QUICKEN TRANSFER PROBLEMS
Please Help: I am trying to get my Quicken data transfered to Money. I have had it with Quicken. Problem is that my home loan doesn't transfer properly. The ending balances match, but the loan ending date is off. I think this is because the mortgage company changed 3 times. It lists the number of remaining payments as 281 when it is 262. I cannot seem to make the proper adjustments. Also, NONE of my Quicken reports transfered over to Money. Any ideas on that ? Please Reply. Thanks Re. "loan end date"--try editing the series of loan payments. Money calculates the number ...

switching mailbox to a different user.
is it possible to take a mailbox and attach it to another user? I need to create a user and take a mailbox that is attached to a different user and somehow attach it to the new user I am creating. On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:14:04 -0800, "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is it possible to take a mailbox and attach it to another user? I need to >create a user and take a mailbox that is attached to a different user and >somehow attach it to the new user I am creating. Yes. Make sure you have Deleted Mailbox Retention enabled on the store for more than...

I switched on the R1C1 reference style but I can't switch it off a
I got a message its header is "name conflict" That means you had a name that looked like a cell address. If I'm in R1C1 reference style, I can name a range: B3 But if I want to switch back to A1 Reference style, then my name "B3" will confuse excel. It has to have you change this to something that isn't an address. So if you want to change to A1 Reference style, you're gonna have to choose a new name--something like: _B3 would work. gello wrote: > > I got a message its header is "name conflict" -- Dave Peterson ...

converting switch to lookup tbl?
I've had this lingering question for a while and am now finally trying to address it. We know switch statements' sizes are limited. I have this switch statement below, and I need to add more but am bumping up against the size limitation: SELECT Switch( [TCODE]="4030","Purchase - abcd" , [TCODE]="3021","Dividend - abcd", [TCODE]="8081","FIFO Sale - Subtract CDSC", [TCODE]="7011" And IsNull([TBL1.SACCTNUM])<>True,"Not purchase", [TCODE]="7011" And IsNull([TBL1.SACCTNUM])=True,"Purchas...

Quicken Newsgroups
Are there Quicken Newsgroups available for Outlook users? ...

switching users
(Running XP Pro sp3 on Gateway Laptop, 64bit AMD processor, 32 bit windows.) Having trouble switching user accounts (logging off goes somewhat smoother but has intermittent problems. So I go into User Accounts->Change the way users Log on or off and I check the Allow fast switching and also check Use Welcome screen, since they are not checked. However I then get a msg that says Automation Server Can't Create and the previous checks do not hold. Obviously I must not have something loaded ? Appreciate any help. "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message news:O...

Switching words within cells
Is it possible to switch the word order within a cell. For example, if I have Alexander Todd in cell A1, can I change it to Todd Alexander? Thanks for the help! hi =SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND (" ",A1)),"/"," & ") Switch the cell address to your cell address >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to switch the word order within a cell. For example, if I >have Alexander Todd in cell A1, can I change it to Todd Alexander? Thanks >for the help! >. > ...

Can't Convert Quicken 2001 Deluxe Data to MS Money 2004
First I tried to convert the Quicken Data using the MS Money 2003 OEM Version that came with the new computer I bought last week. Then I purchased MS Money 2004 Standard Edition and still couldn't convert my Quicken data. On the box, Microsoft says they offer a 30 day money back guarantee with no details about how to get your money back. Does anyone know how I can get my money back? Regards, John E. Golden ...

Money vs Quicken comparison anyone? Especially interested in online bill payment
Is there someone here who can compare Money to Quicken? The trade rags I've read seem to indicate Money is as good as or better than Quicken. Can anyone comment on that? I've been using Quicken since 1990 and seen Intuit go from a first class great company with a fantastic product in Quicken to a company that seems to've past its peak and gotten out of touch. While MS is certainly not immune to mediocracy and bureaucracy itself, my experience with Quicken Deluxe 2008 (after 18 years as a very happy Quicken user) has given me a fresh incentive to take a serious look at ...

How do I switch pages around in a document?
I have a 4 page document in Word and need to switch pages 3 & 4 around. Is there a way without having to insert a blank page and cut and paste? Thank you! You probably do not need to insert the blank page. Just select all of the text on Page 3, then use Ctrl+X to cut it from the document, then use Ctrl+End to move to the end of the document and then use Ctrl+V to paste the text from Page 3 back into the document. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, o...