salv utility is causing problems in my data file

I am having a problem with Money 2004 and the built in file
maintenance utilities.

When I upgraded my data file from 2003 to 2004, I had a problem that
my new converted file contained some accounts that wouldn't reconcile
any longer.  What I mean by that is that some transactions in the
register simply couldn't selected.  When you clicked on the
transaction in the reconciliation window, Money would not change to an
arrow.  So the account won't reconcile.

Money tries fix the reconcile error and "sees" the transaction that
would fix the problem.  But when Money tries to fix it, an error
"Internal Program Error" pops up.

Microsoft tech support says "file corruption" so I start over with a
new file.

So, I started with a completely new 2004 file 6 months ago.  The file
is acting fine.  Today, I decided to use the file maintenance utility
(Level 1 and then Level 2) which I thought were preventative utilities
(like a Scandisk).  Level 2 told me there were a few problems that it
fixed.

Now when I try to reconcile, I get the same error as above.

I've gone back to my 6 month old file, pre salv, and it works fine.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that the file maintenance utility is
making things worse for me; twice in six months.

Thoughts?
0
JAC
12/10/2003 6:53:03 PM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, JAC wrote:

>If I didn't know better, I'd say that the file maintenance utility is
>making things worse for me; twice in six months.
>
>Thoughts?

I am sorry to hear of your problems.

Are you using the version of salv.exe dated 06/18/03 from your
install? It is newer than the one you can download.

Have you tried both Level 1 and Level 2? Try more than one time with
different levels in sequence.

It would be good if you had more backups to choose from. Once or
twice per month seems about right to change backup file names so you
do not overwrite too much.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
12/10/2003 7:01:55 PM
Hi JAC

I have noticed the exact same thing.  Slav.exe corrects the problems but you
can no longer do anything with it.  In order to get around this I have found
that if I delete the transaction and then re-enter it, it will then allow me
to reconcile it.  I have also noticed that it continually happens to me on 3
different transactions which are all transfers from one account to another.
All three of the transactions are scheduled bills and it continually happens
to these three transactions monthly only.  Each of the transactions are also
on-line MSN Bill Pay transactions.  I have tried several different things
but the problem continues to happen, so I have finally deleted all three as
scheduled transactions to see if that is related.

I do know that after I delete them and re-enter them, the problem is gone
and everything seems to be back to normal.  I will not know if deleting them
as scheduled transactions will help until next month.

Bob
"JAC" <techguy71-at-mchsi-dot-com@> wrote in message
> I am having a problem with Money 2004 and the built in file
> maintenance utilities.
>
> When I upgraded my data file from 2003 to 2004, I had a problem that
> my new converted file contained some accounts that wouldn't reconcile
> any longer.  What I mean by that is that some transactions in the
> register simply couldn't selected.  When you clicked on the
> transaction in the reconciliation window, Money would not change to an
> arrow.  So the account won't reconcile.
>
> Money tries fix the reconcile error and "sees" the transaction that
> would fix the problem.  But when Money tries to fix it, an error
> "Internal Program Error" pops up.
>
> Microsoft tech support says "file corruption" so I start over with a
> new file.
>
> So, I started with a completely new 2004 file 6 months ago.  The file
> is acting fine.  Today, I decided to use the file maintenance utility
> (Level 1 and then Level 2) which I thought were preventative utilities
> (like a Scandisk).  Level 2 told me there were a few problems that it
> fixed.
>
> Now when I try to reconcile, I get the same error as above.
>
> I've gone back to my 6 month old file, pre salv, and it works fine.
>
> If I didn't know better, I'd say that the file maintenance utility is
> making things worse for me; twice in six months.
>
> Thoughts?

0
Arge
12/10/2003 11:13:01 PM
I am using whatever is built into the File menu of Money 2004.

I back up every day with a different backup name.  That doesn't help
me with the issue of why a 6 month old file is telling me there are
errors in it and the file maintenance utilities "fix" it by not
letting me reconcile anymore.

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:01:55 GMT, via_newsgroup@please.tnx(Cal
Learner-- MVP) wrote:

>In microsoft.public.money, JAC wrote:
>

>>If I didn't know better, I'd say that the file maintenance utility is
>>making things worse for me; twice in six months.
>>
>>Thoughts?
>
>I am sorry to hear of your problems.
>
>Are you using the version of salv.exe dated 06/18/03 from your
>install? It is newer than the one you can download.
>
>Have you tried both Level 1 and Level 2? Try more than one time with
>different levels in sequence.
>
>It would be good if you had more backups to choose from. Once or
>twice per month seems about right to change backup file names so you
>do not overwrite too much.

0
JAC
12/11/2003 2:40:31 PM
I agree.  It is happening on scheduled transaction that are transfers
(i.e., payment to other accounts).

Sounds like we have a trend here (at least a trend of 2).  That is
better than where I was before!

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:13:01 -0500, "Arge"
<bigbc37(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi JAC
>
>I have noticed the exact same thing.  Slav.exe corrects the problems but you
>can no longer do anything with it.  In order to get around this I have found
>that if I delete the transaction and then re-enter it, it will then allow me
>to reconcile it.  I have also noticed that it continually happens to me on 3
>different transactions which are all transfers from one account to another.
>All three of the transactions are scheduled bills and it continually happens
>to these three transactions monthly only.  Each of the transactions are also
>on-line MSN Bill Pay transactions.  I have tried several different things
>but the problem continues to happen, so I have finally deleted all three as
>scheduled transactions to see if that is related.
>
>I do know that after I delete them and re-enter them, the problem is gone
>and everything seems to be back to normal.  I will not know if deleting them
>as scheduled transactions will help until next month.
>
>Bob
>"JAC" <techguy71-at-mchsi-dot-com@> wrote in message
>> I am having a problem with Money 2004 and the built in file
>> maintenance utilities.
>>
>> When I upgraded my data file from 2003 to 2004, I had a problem that
>> my new converted file contained some accounts that wouldn't reconcile
>> any longer.  What I mean by that is that some transactions in the
>> register simply couldn't selected.  When you clicked on the
>> transaction in the reconciliation window, Money would not change to an
>> arrow.  So the account won't reconcile.
>>
>> Money tries fix the reconcile error and "sees" the transaction that
>> would fix the problem.  But when Money tries to fix it, an error
>> "Internal Program Error" pops up.
>>
>> Microsoft tech support says "file corruption" so I start over with a
>> new file.
>>
>> So, I started with a completely new 2004 file 6 months ago.  The file
>> is acting fine.  Today, I decided to use the file maintenance utility
>> (Level 1 and then Level 2) which I thought were preventative utilities
>> (like a Scandisk).  Level 2 told me there were a few problems that it
>> fixed.
>>
>> Now when I try to reconcile, I get the same error as above.
>>
>> I've gone back to my 6 month old file, pre salv, and it works fine.
>>
>> If I didn't know better, I'd say that the file maintenance utility is
>> making things worse for me; twice in six months.
>>
>> Thoughts?

0
JAC
12/11/2003 2:40:31 PM
In microsoft.public.money, JAC wrote:

>I am using whatever is built into the File menu of Money 2004.
>
>I back up every day with a different backup name.  That doesn't help
>me with the issue of why a 6 month old file is telling me there are
>errors in it and the file maintenance utilities "fix" it by not
>letting me reconcile anymore.

Microsoft might be able to help you out. I would contact them
directly.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
12/11/2003 2:52:16 PM
JAC

Let me know if deleting them and then re-entering the transactions allows
you to reconcile it.  Delete it from the originating account.

> [...]
> >>
> >> Money tries fix the reconcile error and "sees" the transaction that
> >> would fix the problem.  But when Money tries to fix it, an error
> >> "Internal Program Error" pops up.
> >>
> >> Microsoft tech support says "file corruption" so I start over with a
> >> new file.
> >>
> >> So, I started with a completely new 2004 file 6 months ago.  The file
> >> is acting fine.  Today, I decided to use the file maintenance utility
> >> (Level 1 and then Level 2) which I thought were preventative utilities
> >> (like a Scandisk).  Level 2 told me there were a few problems that it
> >> fixed.
> >>
> >> Now when I try to reconcile, I get the same error as above.
> >>
> >> I've gone back to my 6 month old file, pre salv, and it works fine.
> >>
> >> If I didn't know better, I'd say that the file maintenance utility is
> >> making things worse for me; twice in six months.

0
Arge
12/11/2003 4:17:45 PM
I am doing so right now.  So far I get the "must be some file
inconsistencies.  Have you tried to export/import into a new file?"

That answer is fine once.  Not twice in 6 months.

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:52:16 GMT, via_newsgroup@please.tnx(Cal
Learner-- MVP) wrote:

>In microsoft.public.money, JAC wrote:
>
>>I am using whatever is built into the File menu of Money 2004.
>>
>>I back up every day with a different backup name.  That doesn't help
>>me with the issue of why a 6 month old file is telling me there are
>>errors in it and the file maintenance utilities "fix" it by not
>>letting me reconcile anymore.
>
>Microsoft might be able to help you out. I would contact them
>directly.

0
JAC

looking for utility to sync OUTLOOK with Yahoo Calendar/Address book
I am looking for a utility to sync my Outlook contacts + calendar with Yahoo's web based Calendar and address book. I tried the Intellisync utility that Yahoo offers for free on its website, but I have to manually perform the sync operation each time. I would like to find a sync utlity that will automatically perform a sync operation when I update a contact or calendar event in outlook on my local PC, so that Yahoo has the updates almost instantenously if I am connected to the internet. Thanks AFAIK, the tool that Yahoo! provides is the only one capable of = accessing their data.=20 --=20...

Sending a document to print causes the Windows 2003 print queue of that printer to go offline
Have a situation where sending a document (any) to print causes the Windows 2003 print queue/printer of that printer to go offline. The queue remains offline until the printer is power cycled. We can then print a single job before the queue/printer goes offline again. Was working fine, no changes made. We also have this printer and queue on another server and we get the same problem. Funny though if the printer is created on a Windows 2000 box the printer remains online after a document has printed. Im a twat. have now posted in correct section! Peeky wrote: > Have a situation where se...

is M04 salv different than M03 salv; If not M04 is corrupting M03 files
Does the salv utility in M04 detect and fix things that the M03 salv utility doesn't? Here is the situation: Existing M03 file passes level 1 and level 2 salv without any problems. Convert that file to M04. Run salv on the converted M04 file and there are all kinds of errors. Fix the new M04 file using salv. I can't reconcile several accounts. Not only is M04 not worth upgrading for M03 users, it screws my file up. Great job guys. Try using the one on the File-> menu instead. It's almost certainly written for 04, rather than the external one which appears to be for ea...

file is locked
Nt 4.0 network ; Win95 Clients ; Excel 97 When opening an excel file located on a shared folder users always get 'file is locked' message. Around 8 to 10 users have access to this folder w/ mixed Read and Change rights to it. Any ideas? Someone is not closing out of file in the correct way. Try rebooting the Server, and clean out c:\windows\temp directory of each client "billyd" <bibloy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:81af01c35081$a318ca60$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Nt 4.0 network ; Win95 Clients ; Excel 97 > When opening an excel file located on a shared f...

some funny characters cause error
Hi, I found one error when exec my store procedrue: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14' Unclosed quotation mark after the character string '��l��Y'. I think it's some character cause the error, how to make sure can pass whole string over? Thanks. Hi As I understand that value is not supplied as a parameter to the SP. You do some manipulation within a sp? <someone@js.com> wrote in message news:OjdgQMCzKHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I found one error when exec my store procedrue: > Microso...

Problem with publishing changes (Deployment Manager)
Hi, I've a problem with publishing changes using Deployment Manager.For a short time I have problem with chosing an IIS web serwer on crm. I go through Object publisher in Deployment Manager->All tasks-> Publish, sign objects and when the window with Publish to web serwer appears, i click add and nothing is doing - none serwer. What should I do? Befeore everyting was ok, J didn't have any problem ...

Excel Data Compression
Hi I thought in 2003 there was a way to repair/compress your data in an excel file. Does that same capability exist in 2007? Thanks. ...

POP3 Problems #2
We've upgraded our E2K SP2 server hardware and at this point all is working well except our POP3. Some users are reporting a problem where they are asked to re-enter their passwords. Once the server is rebooted, the problem goes away then it comes back. It is an intermitting problem. A user can succeed if he/she keeps on trying "send and receive" repeatedly. POP3 service is always running and restarting it does not solve the problem. Clients are using Outlook 2k3 and outlook Express. Any ideas what the problem might be? First, we can take the client out of the mix by ...

Data
I can not see the entires I made for the past month. What can I do? In microsoft.public.money, Magnus wrote: >I can not see the entires I made for the past month. What >can I do? I don't know what would cause that. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182608 describes using -s switch. That is a simple safe thing to try. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274584 describes salv.exe. These may not solve your problem, but they are what I would do. I would also review my backup file situation. ...

Outlook 2003 Reopen problem
hi, when i close Outlook 2003, i cant start it again. The Outlook icon remains in the system tray and when i close it from taskmanager, i can re-open it. It s communicating with exchange server 2003 sp1.. What can be the problem? Thanks bye... "hasan" <numanogluhasan@hotmail.com> wrote: >hi, when i close Outlook 2003, i cant start it again. The Outlook icon >remains in the system tray and when i close it from taskmanager, i can >re-open it. It s communicating with exchange server 2003 sp1.. What can be >the problem? Thanks bye... Disabling Winfax Pro 10.0...

Using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility for Office installation
Windows XP Professional, ver 2002, (9.0.6926) SP2 NTFS Office 2000 Professional SP3 Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 128 bit cipher strength I'm using Shenan Stanley's cleanup procedures, prepping for install of Windows XP SP3. Confirm answers regarding instructions for using the Windows Installer CleanupUtility to remove Office 2000, Office XP or Office 2003. (1) Right now, I'm running Office 2000 Professional SP3. I know Microsoft article 290301 says the Installer Cleanup Utility it is not going to remove the actual Office program; it is only going to remove ...

Failure to recognise 'valid' form data from iPhone
Hi, I have written a simple API in ASP.Net (VB) .Net framework 3.5 for an iPhone application to integrate to our customers product. This includes uploading pictures and audio files using 'multipart/form-data'.... On some iPhones it works fine (inc the developers) but on others it fails as ASP fails to recognise the data as a form (i.e. Request.Form.Count is 0) I believe this is due to the fact that on the failing iPhones the boundary definition is not at the end of the content-type line or doesnt have double quotes around. i.e. This is a working Content-Type '...

CEdit::SetSel() problem
Using the CEdit control, I want to trim some bytes off of the 'top' of the CEdit buffer without the CEdit control scrolling up when the bytes are being removed. I use CEdit::SetSel() to select the bytes to remove, with the bNoScroll set to TRUE so that the view doesn't scroll up. The problem is that the CEdit control scrolls up even though the bNoScroll is set to TRUE. Any help here would be appreciated. Michael. "Michael Broda" <mtbroda@rogers.com> wrote in message news:hsFib.99383$ko%.20236@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com... > Using the CEdit control, ...

Msimn, INETCOMM.DLL problem
Hi i hope someone can help me with this proble. Every time i try to send out a e-mail with Outlook express i get this "Msimn" fault i am not sure what to do, i tried re-installing outlook and getting the latest version it runs on Windows 98 and this is the message that i get in "details" of the error: MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module INETCOMM.DLL at 0167:5ec1ee59. Registers: EAX=27c89c8c CS=0167 EIP=5ec1ee59 EFLGS=00010202 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0056d83c EBP=0056d8a8 ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=00000001 FS=631f EDX=0000000b ES=016f EDI=0056d8dc GS=0000 Bytes ...

Retrieving values from XML file
I want to be able access an xml file using an XPath? query to go to a specific node. Once I have that node I want to be able to retrieve the value of an attribute. Can't seem to get this working using the 2.0 Framework. Here's a sample of the XML <Agency> <vu_Agency AgencySysNo="1" Name="Dept 1"/> <vu_Agency AgencySysNo="2" Name="Dept 2"/> </Agency> The code I'm playing with is... Dim document As XPathDocument = New XPathDocument(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("xmlPath").ToString() & "A...

bootcamp windows media player problem..
hi, i'm using bootcamp to run windows on a macbook pro.. when i stream music videos from the net through windows media player it plays the audio perfectly but the video appears with only bright yellow, green and orange colors in it.. it also happens with a few mpeg videos i have.. is it something to do with the drivers? is there anything i can do to fix it? all help appreciated, thanks.. Hi Nick: First place I would look is memory, the second place I would look is processor availability. Decoding MPEG4 is quite a tough job for a computer: it needs memory and horsepower. If you hav...

Transferring Money 2005 data files to another PC
I;ve got Money 2005 Standard installed on an old PC and need to transfer the data over to a new PC. So I've made backups of my Money data files: data.mny and the Money-backup file data.mdf (located in "c:\documents and settings\username\my documents") I've copied the data files over to the new PC but Money 2005 refuses to open the data file saying it couldn't find the file, its read only, or I don't have permission to it. BTW on the new PC I have deleted the dummy data file that I created. I've tried the Restore from Backup feature of MS Money 2005, as wel...

Tricky Problem
I have a spreadshhet with 3 columns,I wish to create a fourth column which carries out an action,if 2 conditions are met. col a has value that is greater than 6 col c value is the appropriate value for the range in which values of b fall. col b contains numbers in the range 1 to 1000. The categories in col b and appropriate values in col c are shown below. If the values in col c are greater than the correct values I want no action taken,in col d. col b col c 1 to 2 0.01 2.02 to 3 0.02 3.05 to 4 ...

Corrupted Money 2005 deluxe files and salv.exe will not work
Have had Money programs for about 10 years. Last Wednesday, I was no longer able to access the internet (Money was still functional). Took it to a computer service who had to restore the XP operating system (apparently spyware, $70/yr to Norton and Webroot well freakin spent). Charged me $295 bucks. Bring it home and the desktop looks like it did when I bought it. Here is what I did. 1. Installed the Money 2005 standard (which came with computer) . Then tried to open my data file. Got the error message saying the file is corrupted or not a Money data file. 2. Realized that I received...

saving and remaming files
Folks, Have a small company with 5 pc's networked with Server 2000. Recently users have complained that when they open excel files (that are stored on the server and shared by all users) and make changes...they hit "save" (as they always have) and it renames the file as (if the secretary has recalled the error message correctly) as a temp file. This has obviously caused problems with the other users. When they go to open the folder (after changes have been made by another user) they do not see the changes. They have combated the problem even further as they have started to rena...

Problem with Updates in 2006
I've upgraded each year through Money 2004,2005 and now 2006 Deluxe and after several days, I have been able to get everything working until this version. I did a clean install and restored a Money Backup file without any problems. I still have not been able to setup online services with one bank that is listed and worked last week in 2005. It goes to the bank and sometimes it will get as far as allowing me to enter my acct# and password but it hasn't downloaded the acct yet and says to try again later. I'll keep trying there, but the big problem is several times after an au...

Super Salvage Utility, no level 3?
I've ran a level 1 and level 2 salvage and money is saying it cannot repair the file. Backup was overwritten and cannot get file from floppy (CRC error, just my luck). I tried downloading the super salvage utility, and it does not have a level 3 like Money 2003 help file says it does. Am I downloading the wrong file. When I run the level 2, it says the file is too damaged or there is a problem with my install. Will reinstalling money help? The log file says no broken records in the original file. So is it damaged or not? Is the super salvage level 3 still available? The le...

Problem with CWnd Derived class
Hi! I'm making an sdi aplication in the client area I would like to put a child window. I have try it with a child window derived form CFrameWnd, but it doesn´t work so i'm trying it now with a window derived from CWnd, but it doesn´t work i have an asser when i try to modify the window style. Is this the right way to make a derived class from CWnd ? How can I resolve my problem? Thank you very much. PTZControlWindow::PTZControlWindow(PlayFile *pf) { CString strMyClass; strMyClass = AfxRegisterWndClass( CS_VREDRAW | CS_HREDRAW, ::LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_...

How do I stop an Excel file from being copied
I want to allow a company to use a spreadsheet I have developed but do not want them to copy or distribute it. Can I protect the file please? Please return answers to: jhsrscll@aol.com Not possible.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "John Driscoll" <JohnDriscoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:222EA3A3-83DA-4864-B6FA-9F39ECD21366@microsoft.com... > I want to allow a company to use a spreadsheet I have developed but do not > want them to copy or distribute it. Can I protect the file please? Please > return answers to: jhsrscll@aol.com Not really....

Exception causes load event to end
Hi guys and gals I'm having a wierd problem with my application. I'm calling a few functions and subs from my main load event, and everything works just fine - except when one of functions throws an exception (which is handled by the function itself). When an exception has ocured (and been handled) in one of the functions, and the rest of the code, in the main load event should run - northing happens. It's like the rest of the load event just had been completely forgotten. What could be the problem here? Regards Søren Schimkat Hi, If not done, a firs...