restore from backup wants password- doesn't work

I Have a Microsoft Money backup file (.mbf)which I saved on a disc while I
wiped my hard drive. After I reinstalled Microsoft Money 2003 I tried to
restore from backup file, and it asked for a password. My remembered password
did not work, and neither did any of my other passwords.
I had accomplished this before after setting my computer back to the factory
condition about 2 years ago, and I don't remember it asking for a password
then; in any case I had no problems with it then.
It may have been Money 2006 that created this backup file - I think I'd
upgraded from 2003 at some point but don't remember. Would this make a
difference?
Anyone know what I should do?
0
ritak (2)
10/10/2008 2:00:02 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, ritak wrote:

>I Have a Microsoft Money backup file (.mbf)which I saved on a disc while I
>wiped my hard drive. After I reinstalled Microsoft Money 2003 I tried to
>restore from backup file, and it asked for a password. My remembered password
>did not work, and neither did any of my other passwords.
>I had accomplished this before after setting my computer back to the factory
>condition about 2 years ago, and I don't remember it asking for a password
>then; in any case I had no problems with it then.
>It may have been Money 2006 that created this backup file - I think I'd
>upgraded from 2003 at some point but don't remember. Would this make a
>difference?

Yes. That would explain it. Older versions gave that error message
rather than a more to-the-point one.

>Anyone know what I should do?

You need a version of Money at least as new as the one that produced
the backup. I suggest you try the Money Plus free trial, expecting
to purchase Money Plus after the trial.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/10/2008 2:47:16 AM
Thank you, that worked! It gave me a small scare first though, when it didn't
recognize my current Microsoft Passport password. it remembered my old one,
which I had changed months ago...

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, ritak wrote:
>
> >I Have a Microsoft Money backup file (.mbf)which I saved on a disc while I
> >wiped my hard drive. After I reinstalled Microsoft Money 2003 I tried to
> >restore from backup file, and it asked for a password. My remembered password
> >did not work, and neither did any of my other passwords.
> >I had accomplished this before after setting my computer back to the factory
> >condition about 2 years ago, and I don't remember it asking for a password
> >then; in any case I had no problems with it then.
> >It may have been Money 2006 that created this backup file - I think I'd
> >upgraded from 2003 at some point but don't remember. Would this make a
> >difference?
>
> Yes. That would explain it. Older versions gave that error message
> rather than a more to-the-point one.
>
> >Anyone know what I should do?
>
> You need a version of Money at least as new as the one that produced
> the backup. I suggest you try the Money Plus free trial, expecting
> to purchase Money Plus after the trial.

0
ritak (2)

Backup software
Anyone else here use this software? What's your opinion? On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:35:56 -0000, "Dave Lee" <abuse@aol.com> wrote: >Anyone else here use this software? What's your opinion? > I wouldnt use anything with the words "Express" or "Limited" in them. That applies to hotels as well.. Huge generalisation ;-) "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:t48vs1h9a384ufa3jmgd880ms2qf265p4f@4ax.com... > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:35:56 -0000, "Dave Lee" <abuse@aol.com&...

Outlook asks for UID, Password & Domain
I am using Outlook 2000 on and XP Pro machine. I just bought 7 machines and reinstalled outlook on all my machines on an SBS 4.5 exchange client system. All but two machines work fine. For some reason on my machine and a second on the network, when I start Outlook I get a pop up box asking for username, password and domain. Once I install that info i get in. But when I close outlook and restart it, it does the same thing. buzz See if this article applies to you; http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321652 Also fix your system time; you're posting from the future! -- Robert Spa...

Matchcode Update system jobs stopped working
A few months ago Matchcode Update system jobs stopped working on a CRM server. Accounts created after that point are not checked for duplicates. The CRM Async service is working, we have checked that. How can we reactivate Machcode Updates? Thanks in advance, Viktor ...

Changing the Password of CRMAdmin Account
After I changed CRMAdmin password, although I set the new password for logon properties of the relevant CRM and Cyristal Report services, CRM does not work. IS there any suggestion? Thanks, try using localsystem for your services "Gulsah Safsoy" <gulsah.safsoy@teknokom.com> wrote in message news:18e6d01c4212a$ae2c0500$a601280a@phx.gbl... > After I changed CRMAdmin password, although I set the new > password for logon properties of the relevant CRM and > Cyristal Report services, CRM does not work. > > IS there any suggestion? > > Thanks, ...

Worked in 2003, not in 2007
I have a macro that was in my template which started life as a Word 2003 document. I've created a new template in Word 2007 and transferred all the code into the new document. Everything seems to work except one macro. This is supposed to grab the title of a given attachment, copy it into a new page of the attachment, and include the title. It always crashes on the Selection.Copy line. The only thing I changed was making the word "Attachment" all caps. But even if I change that back and use nothing but the original code, it crashes on that same line. Any ideas? ...

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Macro not working when subform is linked to form
Hello, I know this has to be a really easy fix, but I've fought with it all morning and I just can't figure it out. I have a subform that has four fields (PRODUCT, AREA, SPACE, RACK). The rack and space are based on queries that use the area as the parameter, so that the rack and space choices change when the area changes. This all works just fine until I put the subform in a form that links the two by product. Then I get an error message that says I'm trying to apply a filter and haven't selected an object to apply it to. Can you help me with this??? Thanks! ...

I want Lookout back
Hi, WDS is nice, but slow and inccurate. I want my Lookout back. Is it possible to run Lookout with Outlook 2007? Thanks Paul -- Paul Goldmann Dear Microsoft, I can't seem to locate LOOKOUT for OUTLOOK. If this is intentional 'just say so'. Don't lead us on a 'wild goose chase'. If you want us to use the 'new' Windows Desktop Seach, make the thing available! Your actions help me to understand Cuba and Europe's migration to Linux. The direct download link on Microsoft’s site works (oops! No, it doesn’t), but here’s the irony - if you look o...

Wants a dial up after moving to wireless router
OK, so I now access the net through a wireless router. Now, when I use send receive in Outlook 2002 it asks for my previous dial-up. So somehow I need to tell Outlook to get my email a different way and I don't know how to do it. Please advise. Thanks Martin --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 07/06/2004 On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:25:46 +0100, "martcol" <martcol@hotmail.com> wrote: >OK, so I now access the net through a wireless router. Now, wh...

How to change password of CRM user accounts
Got a small issue with a CRM 3.0 SBE install on SBS2K3 PE that may be an easy one for you. During a recent security audit, I changed the passwords for CRMMail and CRMRouter users (via ADUC) to new, complex ones. Since I changed the passwords, any replies from customers, to emails sent from CRM (with the tagged subject line), do not automatically get populated into CRM ( have to manually click the 'Track in CRM' button when the email comes into an Inbox in Outlook to get it added to the history). I guess I need to tell CRM these password have changed? Do you know where I would d...

pst backup
If there is a way to automate pst file backup and log the successfull completion of the backup (maybe by sending an E-mail to administrator) Microsoft add on just remind about the backup and you have to manually click the button to start the backup. Some people recommend to use xcopy. I have a feeling that at some point I will get access violation (even though when Outlook is closed) Thank you You should be able to set the interval, using the addin, and automate the process. Or; http://www.handybackup.com/index.html http://www.avantrix.com/ David "ot" <ottdt@yahoo.com> ...

password to open outlook #3
Is there : 1) a way to password protect Outlook to open it (similar to OE)? (not the password to get the email on the server but to open it up initially). 2) a way to have multiple identities in Outlook (similar to OE)? Carl ...

KB977165 wants to install over and over
Good morning, I successfully (I thought) downloaded and installed KB977165 on Feb. 10 but as soon as I was finished it was once again offered as an available update. I have my Microsoft Updates set to notify me when one is available but not to download it. For the record I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8 and fully patched. I utilize Avast (Free) as my anti-virus and Comodo (Free) as my firewall and also check for spyware with Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Trojan...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

POP3 Password Rejected
I access an Exchange 2003 server with OE6. Access and authentication normally works with no problems. Recently, I've been getting the following error message: There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop3.myserver.com', Server: 'pop3.myserver.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 This happens only occasionally. After a while, with absolutely no configurat...

Password Prompt
I have a file that is set to prompt for a password at startup for write access. I would like to give someone a copy of the file that is not set to prompt for password. How do I remove the protection. I don't want to give out the password. File>Save As>Tools>General Options. Delete the password from here and save the workbook with a new name. Send that to the "someone". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:53:01 -0800, "LuhElle" <LuhElle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a file that is set to prompt for a password at startu...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Enter Network Password
New computer running XP and using Outlook 2002. I keep getting a box appear that's title "Enter Network Password". "Please type in user name and password". I don't have a network. This thing appears every few minutes all day long. It will not remember the password and I don't know how to get rid of it. It is very annoying. Any hints will be appreciated. At first I was using Outlook Express and it appeared then also. thank you. This didn't work. Still getting that annoying pop up=20 window "Enter Network Password". Once again... I...

comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook
How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the same work book? BTW, the cell my have a number or text in it but not formulas "Dan" wrote: > How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the > same work book? What are you looking for? If you want to find out if each cell in Column A of sheet1 appears in column A of sheet2, you could use a helper column of formulas: =isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)) and drag down And you could use the same kind of formula that will tell you if values in sheet2 appear in sheet1. ...

link given for calendar invite not working
Exchange 2003 sp2 When a user opens an appointment in OWA the url given for the appointment does not work. Example of the URl: http://servername/exchange/username/calendar/lunch-10.EML?cmd=open ...

Password forgetfulness
A variation on the usual Outlook won't remeber my password/username. Had to reinstall Office XP. Anyway got the usual situ. where Outlook 2002 wouldn't remeber password so went into registry and the Protected Storage System Provider. That's when the problem started as there weren't any sub-files to delete. Tried exporting some then deleting but still no joy. Before I have to take the drastic step of reformatting - and the inevitable tears and heartaches that causes - any suggestions as I've tried everything I can think of. Having to access my emails only online is a pain. T...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Exchange/Outlook password problem
Hello all, I have a user that changed her logon password, and ever since then, has to re-enter her username and password to get into outlook. At first i thought it was a replication problem, but she can login against all three of our domain controllers with no problems. It's just outlook that asks her to re-authenticate. we're running: windows 2003 server, sp1 on all servers exchange 2003 sp1 clients are windows xp, sp2, outlook 2003 sp1 any ideas? everything worked fine before she changed her password. thanks. Steve "Stephen Corcoran" <sbcorcor@comcast.net>...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Money 2007 Update Utility Not Working
Everytime I start Money 2007 I have a pop up window asking me to update Money and press OK. Which I do, and it closes Money and downloads the update. It then asks if it's ready to install, and that crashes. Then it says 'Microsoft Money Update Utility has caused an error and needs to be restarted.' or whatever that message is. That happens everytime I start Money, and I'd like to update it, because that notification is real annoying. What is wrong ? Is there a way to manually update Money 2007 ? Thanks Uninstall the IE 7 beta and do the update. The crash will stop. ...