Problems with Money 2005

I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months ago.
Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday
occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt delete
to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you name it.
I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open and run. I
made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this file
froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't care if
I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are
corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing on the
home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a few
seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has encountered an
internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re starts, it
disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different restore
points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
0
Lou (56)
12/20/2004 3:39:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 5 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Lou wrote:

>I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months ago.
>Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday
>occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt delete
>to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you name it.
>I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open and run. I
>made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this file
>froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't care if
>I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are
>corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing on the
>home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a few
>seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has encountered an
>internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re starts, it
>disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different restore
>points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

I would try making repaired versions of the file you want with
salv.exe. Try level 2 and/or level 3.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe" may be
the location.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
12/20/2004 4:09:36 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Lou wrote:

>I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months ago.
>Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday
>occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt delete
>to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you name it.
>I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open and run. I
>made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this file
>froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't care if
>I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are
>corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing on the
>home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a few
>seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has encountered an
>internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re starts, it
>disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different restore
>points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

OK... you said you tried repairing files, so you probably have done
salv.exe.

Does your file have a Passport? If not, I would enable logging of
the ofx files from your broker. Let's assume for the moment that
Money crashes again.

The plan would be to locate a flaw in the OFX file and to
File->Import the modified file. This could be complex, and I don't
know how far you can get or want to go.

0
via_newsgroup (13113)
12/20/2004 4:16:48 AM
Lou,

1.  Do you download from any other banks/brokers?  If so, do you get
the same results?

2.  Does your broker support any other download formats?  If so, do any
of these work?

3.  In case its an account corruption issue, could you create a new
Money file, setup an account for your brokerage including Online
Services, and see what happens on the initial download?

If you get to number 3 above and no crash, you may want to go back to
your original backup, export brokerage account transactions, close the
account, create a new one, import your exported transactions, and see
if the downloads occur without crashing.  Keep in mind that in creating
the new account, you may have some additional manual re-entry of
transactions to perform.  This may be a problem if you've got many
years of data.

Best of Luck and let us know how as things progress.

Regards,
JB

Lou wrote:
> I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months
ago.
> Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday

> occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt
delete
> to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you
name it.
> I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open
and run. I
> made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this
file
> froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't
care if
> I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are
> corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing
on the
> home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a
few
> seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has
encountered an
> internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re
starts, it
> disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different
restore
> points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

0
johnbusc (409)
12/20/2004 11:36:46 AM
>Subject: Problems with Money 2005
>From: =?Utf-8?B?TG91?= Lou@discussions.microsoft.com
>Date: 12/19/2004 10:39 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months ago.
>Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday
>occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt delete
>to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you name it.
>
>I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open and run. I
>
>made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this file
>froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't care if
>
>I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are
>corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing on the
>home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a few
>seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has encountered an
>internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re starts, it
>disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different restore
>points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

This is a perfect example of why I say using a $25 product like Microsoft Money
2005 LINKED to yodelle, MSN servers, uploading and downloading transaction data
from banks and brokers are ALL invitations to disaster at this point. The
technology has not reached a level that I would be comfortable letting my
complete financial data be controlled by some "automatic" data transfer. When
it crashes you spend more time trying to fix it than if you enter the data
manually like I do. Money 2005 CAN be a very helpful financial software program
if it is used carefully by people who also have a sense for financial
reporting, how to do it, and what it means. JMHO. Steve
0
sjcohen730 (458)
12/20/2004 3:14:14 PM
Steve wrote:

"if you enter the data manually like I do. Money 2005 CAN be a very
helpful financial software program if it is used carefully by people
who also have a sense for financial reporting, how to do it, and what
it means"

If I understand you correctly, manual entry in a $25 software package
can help me attain the qualities you mention.

JB

FULL POST--
SJCOHEN730 wrote:
> >Subject: Problems with Money 2005
> >From: =?Utf-8?B?TG91?= Lou@discussions.microsoft.com
> >Date: 12/19/2004 10:39 PM Eastern Standard Time
> >
> >I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two
months ago.
> >Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an
everyday
> >occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control
alt delete
> >to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you
name it.

> >I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open
and run. I

> >made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded,
this file
> >froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I
don't care if

> >I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are

> >corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing
on the
> >home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a
few
> >seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has
encountered an
> >internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re
starts, it
> >disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different
restore
> >points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
> >

> This is a perfect example of why I say using a $25 product like
Microsoft Money
> 2005 LINKED to yodelle, MSN servers, uploading and downloading
transaction data
> from banks and brokers are ALL invitations to disaster at this point.
The
> technology has not reached a level that I would be comfortable
letting my
> complete financial data be controlled by some "automatic" data
transfer. When
> it crashes you spend more time trying to fix it than if you enter the
data
> manually like I do. Money 2005 CAN be a very helpful financial
software program
> if it is used carefully by people who also have a sense for financial
> reporting, how to do it, and what it means. JMHO. Steve

0
johnbusc (409)
12/20/2004 4:20:02 PM
Thanks for your humble opinion Steve.
When I posted here, I was hoping to get some help.
Not a sermon about using cheap software.
Where do you buy Money 2005 Premium for $25?

"SJCOHEN730" wrote:

> >Subject: Problems with Money 2005
> >From: =?Utf-8?B?TG91?= Lou@discussions.microsoft.com
> >Date: 12/19/2004 10:39 PM Eastern Standard Time
> >
> >I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months ago.
> >Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday
> >occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt delete
> >to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you name it.
> >
> >I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open and run. I
> >
> >made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this file
> >froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't care if
> >
> >I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are
> >corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing on the
> >home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a few
> >seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has encountered an
> >internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re starts, it
> >disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different restore
> >points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
> >

> This is a perfect example of why I say using a $25 product like Microsoft Money
> 2005 LINKED to yodelle, MSN servers, uploading and downloading transaction data
> from banks and brokers are ALL invitations to disaster at this point. The
> technology has not reached a level that I would be comfortable letting my
> complete financial data be controlled by some "automatic" data transfer. When
> it crashes you spend more time trying to fix it than if you enter the data
> manually like I do. Money 2005 CAN be a very helpful financial software program
> if it is used carefully by people who also have a sense for financial
> reporting, how to do it, and what it means. JMHO. Steve

0
Lou (56)
12/20/2004 4:37:05 PM
Thanks JB
I created a new file, entered my accounts, and downloaded statements from my
brokerage for the last 90 days. So far, everything is working fine. I
download from several institutions and have had virtually zero problems up to
this point.
Lou

"johnbusc@hotmail.com" wrote:

> Lou,
>
> 1.  Do you download from any other banks/brokers?  If so, do you get
> the same results?
>
> 2.  Does your broker support any other download formats?  If so, do any
> of these work?
>
> 3.  In case its an account corruption issue, could you create a new
> Money file, setup an account for your brokerage including Online
> Services, and see what happens on the initial download?
>
> If you get to number 3 above and no crash, you may want to go back to
> your original backup, export brokerage account transactions, close the
> account, create a new one, import your exported transactions, and see
> if the downloads occur without crashing.  Keep in mind that in creating
> the new account, you may have some additional manual re-entry of
> transactions to perform.  This may be a problem if you've got many
> years of data.
>
> Best of Luck and let us know how as things progress.
>
> Regards,
> JB
>

> Lou wrote:
> > I've used Money for several years. Started using '05 about two months
> ago.
> > Two days ago I got a downloaded statement from my broker (an everyday
>
> > occurence). Money crashed. It just froze up. I had to use control alt
> delete
> > to get out. Now I have tried repairing files, restoring backups, you
> name it.
> > I finally did get a backup file that was about a month old to open
> and run. I
> > made a copy for safety. As soon as the statement was downloaded, this
> file
> > froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I don't
> care if
> > I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups are
> > corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances showing
> on the
> > home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for a
> few
> > seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has
> encountered an
> > internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re
> starts, it
> > disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different
> restore
> > points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

0
Lou (56)
12/20/2004 4:41:19 PM
Lou,

Just curious, do you intend to stay with the new file OR return to your
old backup eventually.

If the latter, post back in the future and let us know if things are
still going well.

Regards,
JB

Lou wrote:
> [...]

> > file
> > > froze up. I just want to get my data back for the last month, I
don't
> > care if
> > > I have to delete the statement. I'm afraid all my recent backups
are
> > > corrupted now. Some of them will open with correct balances
showing
> > on the
> > > home page, but they are frozen. Sometimes they are just open for
> > few
> > > seconds and I get The error message that "Microsoft Money has
> > encountered an
> > > internal error and must restart." As soon as it automatically re
> > starts, it
> > > disappears. I've also tried System restore at several different
> > restore
> > > points. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

12/20/2004 5:19:15 PM

"SJCOHEN730" wrote:

> >ubject: Re: Problems with Money 2005
> >From: =?Utf-8?B?TG91?= Lou@discussions.microsoft.com
> >Date: 12/20/2004 11:37 AM Eastern Standard Time
> >
> >Thanks for your humble opinion Steve.
> >When I posted here, I was hoping to get some help.
> >Not a sermon about using cheap software.
> >Where do you buy Money 2005 Premium for $25?
> >
> You don't. I was referring to Money 2005 Deluxe. For my investment needs I
> don't need a third party provider like Gainskeeper telling me what to do. Steve

You might, if you continue to grow as an investor/trader
JMHO
Lou
0
Lou (56)
12/20/2004 5:25:02 PM
S> This is a perfect example of why I say using a $25 product
S> like Microsoft Money 2005 LINKED to yodelle, MSN servers,
S> uploading and downloading transaction data from banks and
S> brokers are ALL invitations to disaster at this point.

I think the root of the problem is in the today's programming techniques,
where error processing is ignored almost completely.

In the old-school programming, there were 5-10 lines of error-checking and
data validation per one line of the "main" code. Today, this became too
expensive. Many Microsoft internet server applications are written in
vbscript language where error processing merely does not exist. Hence, these
programs work satisfactory when everything goes well, but are totally
helpless in case of even slight problems. You can see it everywhere, and
every time when you are told "reboot your computer" as the 1st step in any
troubleshooting - it's because today's applications are not supposed to
gracefully handle any malfunctions. In this particular case, Money does not
care to validate the input data before importing it (a grave sin), and
crashes when one byte is wrong.

Vadim

0
vr (140)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

SQL 2005 patition table
Hi, I have 20 million (5 type record ids -- 2-3gb)records need to be loaded into a table daily. Is it a good idea to have a a patiotion table seperated by reciord type id. 1. It will be faster for retrieval in performance? 2. What is the drawbacks ot have a partitioned table instead of regular table? Thanks, Mecn My opinion is 1) It will be fatser if the user searches on particular typeid , if he/she searches on typedid 1 and 5 then it will 'scan' two partitions 2) You have to have some experience to maintain partitons "Mecn" <mecn@yahoo.com> ...

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Money 2006 not starting after signing process
Since yesterday (08-24-06) I am unbale to get into my Money 2006; it starts and asks for my e-mail and password in the 'Sign in to open your Money file' but after this a 'Microsoft Money Error Reporting' message shows stating an internal error and will have to restart the 'Error signature' shows: "AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 15.0.0.513 ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000" and a techical information file (C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\fdr2168.fdr) about the error report can be viewed. I will appreciate your help.... I need to check and p...

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...

Problem creating credit card account
When creating a Chase or Amazon.com credit cards I am having this happen to me when it creates the card and I can't figure out how to fix it so there is just one card showing. I attached a jpeg of what I am seeing. It's like it created multiple instances of the card and also show balances of my other cards. I am not sure if it is because these cards are associated with Chase or what. When I had it setup the online service for the card then that is when it creates the other instances. I hope someone can makes sence of this. Thanks! ...